Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it would be good to see a ranking of all of the promotions that have womens wrestling in order of majorness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DM Punk posted:

She's literally a tag champion in SHIMMER, the gold standard for women's wrestling outside of Japan. She's basically a regular in almost every major women's fed in the US. Really the only big companies she doesn't work for is Beyond/WWR, AAW, and Nova Pro.

Like with others those belts were probably put on her as Prazak knew WWE had no interest in her between tapings. The former Champs are MYC II entrant Vanessa Kraven and then angling to sign to WWE Tessa Blanchard.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who would you say is more of a wwe staple between Blue Pants and Tessa Blanchard. All-time

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Cavauro posted:

who would you say is more of a wwe staple between Blue Pants and Tessa Blanchard. All-time

Leva was literally brought in to do one job for Carmella and she turned it into a bunch of return bookings. She was never meant to even be noticed and she got her own WWE shirt out of it. Pretty cool honestly. She was never gonna get a contract due to age and other factors but she made the most of her opportunity.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Leva's put in the road work but her physical skill is still green. She'll blow spots, lose holds and gas out quickly. A lot of it has to do with how shallow the women's talent pool has been for the longest time. Before SHIMMER, there were no main event level talent being cultivated. Women were 10 minute feature spots and nothing else. poo poo has changed. Look at where Gabby Ortiz's skill level is vs Leva's. Women coming up now have more opportunities to put in the work and learn.

And I'm not saying this to poo poo on Leva. She's entertaining but when you compare her work vs other younger talents, you can see why she's getting squeezed out of these top dollar spots.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Leva is never gonna be the star attraction to a show. She's there to fill a role. She's the goofy, fun, light-hearted match. There's more to wrestling than just moves and technical ability. Leva excels in charisma, character, and crowd participation. I've seen a ton of shows where she's had longer merch lines than more skilled workers.

I honestly thought her and Mia Yim made a great team because as good in ring as Mia is, she was never the best promo. So, they complimented each other really well.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DM Punk posted:

I honestly thought her and Mia Yim made a great team because as good in ring as Mia is, she was never the best promo. So, they complimented each other really well.

Their break up was a relative money feud in SHINE. Before SHINE SHINE'D. When Mia mocked Leva's injury and dressed up as an injured Leva it drew legit heat.

Also, I've said in the past Leva and Alison Danger's tag team in SHIMMER were more than sufficient over to win their tag titles when the roster depth was really deep.

I am just providing a degree in balance here.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Renee Young followed Britt Baker.

Read into that what you will.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I feel like Neveah and Havok were supposed to be the ones to take the tag straps off Tessa and Kraven, but Tessa showed up and gave notice the taping before Neveah was healthy (thought she was getting signed?).

Also, the Takeover stuff is legit. Granted, no one would know about it if salty talents weren't working overtime to bury her.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gearl Hebner got introduced by what seems like her shoot name at DEFY tonight. Got very loud applause and you deserve it chants. She seemed surprised and got emotional (positive way), and turned away for a bit to compose herself.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Strong recommended one of the best Toni Storm matches I've seen. Wesna is like the female Fit Finlay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpt2KVkytoo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zeuxis, Isla Dawn, Lacey Lane and Karen Q added to the MYC

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I started watching stardom world stuff again and there's a new janken tourney out. It's a thing of beauty.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/1022477353979719681

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The Mirror has confirmed that Toni Storm will be a part of the MYC II. Not really shocking, but whatever. That being said, I don't think she'll win due to being an NXT UK talent, and likely being the inaugural NXT UK Women's Champion.

https://twitter.com/maeyoungclassic/status/1022609342082809857?s=21

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/NOAHs_Savior/status/1022689295646314496

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/1022607214719184897

Priscella Kelly and Aerial Monroe that is.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Rovert posted about it, but here's the official confirmation on Meiko being in the MYC this year.

https://twitter.com/MaeYoungClassic/status/1022845306097025024

This is a very huge deal for WWE as she is a wrestling legend, and easily the top female wrestler in the world. The only person who comes even remotely close to her is Io.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vince mcmahon definitely has no idea who she is, actually

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I look forward to pirating episodes of MYC and complaining because the camera work is poo poo

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

I look forward to pirating episodes of MYC and complaining because the camera work is poo poo

The camera work from last year's MYC was fine. Partially because Kevin Dunn wasn't behind the controls of it. Jeremy Borash handles the production work for Full Sail and Takeover stuff.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder who's going over Meiko.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder who's going over Meiko.

Hopefully Jessie

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Midnightghoul posted:

Hopefully Jessie

MYC is booked by Triple H. Not Vince. So it will likely either be Deonna or Io.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I bet she faces Io in like the semis, as a big showcase match. Kinda like how they had ZSJ face Gulak in the CWC and Shayna vs Mercedes in the first MYC.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1022153341982396416

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I reckon they want at least one 5 star match coming out of MYC2.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

5*GP blocks were announced today

Blue:
Mayu Iwatani
Saki Kashima
Momo Watanabe
Hazuki
Natsu Sumire
Kelly Klein
Nicole Savoy
Jamie Hayter

Red:
Kagetsu
Jungle Kyona
Tam Nakano
Konami
Natsuko Tora
Rachael Ellering
Kimber Lee
[To Be Announced]

Also, I'm going to make a thread with a giant effortpost for the 5*GP early next month. Feel free to suggest thread titles.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol Kelly Klein

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol Kelly Klein

Make this the thread title in my opinion. Kelly Klein is not good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

Make this the thread title in my opinion. Kelly Klein is not good.

she throws one of the burliest lariats a gaijin joshi can muster aaaand that's about it. I really want to like her but she needs to tighten up her grappling and footwork. A 10th planet mall bjj whitebelt would sweep her effortlessly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Any speculation on who the To Be Announced is?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Absolutely no clue at all. Hana isn't back until September. And a lot of the gaijin they wanted to bring in are booked elsewhere or a part of the MYC.

Speaking of the MYC, while I wouldn't rule out Mia Yim getting a contract, I am leaning towards no again. She's accepting bookings in September apparently, and is also wrestling at the F4D convention in August. As a result, I sorta expect her to be eliminated in the second or third round.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

tea leaves say its Toni Storm but it more than likely it'll be a freelancer I've never heard of.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Just like the MYC and the CWC there's a chance that someone can be totally outstanding and end up getting signed full time. I think Mia Yim has a chance to get in and retire there. I still wish Kris Wolf could be brought in for a spot then become a female announcer because despite her age, she's one of the most energetic and likable people out there and has TONS of charisma.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Just like the MYC and the CWC there's a chance that someone can be totally outstanding and end up getting signed full time. I think Mia Yim has a chance to get in and retire there. I still wish Kris Wolf could be brought in for a spot then become a female announcer because despite her age, she's one of the most energetic and likable people out there and has TONS of charisma.

I don't think Kris does or is willing to play the game so to speak in terms of "calling the office"/emailing WWE talent relations. Which can take a lot of resolve and outside advise in terms of approach and what to emphasise.

Kris in an interview said lots of fellow wrestlers told her to apply for MYC but she spaced out on applying. I think most people posting in this thread have a fair account of how she is like IRL in terms of being really ADD/ADHD, anxious, unsure of herself and definitely not having an appreciation for her value.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Would take a guess at Jessika Havok.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kris Wolf and Kota Ibushi share similar personality traits, yes.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Go RV! posted:

5*GP blocks were announced today

Blue:
Mayu Iwatani
Saki Kashima
Momo Watanabe
Hazuki
Natsu Sumire
Kelly Klein
Nicole Savoy
Jamie Hayter

Red:
Kagetsu
Jungle Kyona
Tam Nakano
Konami
Natsuko Tora
Rachael Ellering
Kimber Lee
[To Be Announced]

Also, I'm going to make a thread with a giant effortpost for the 5*GP early next month. Feel free to suggest thread titles.

Is this a giant round robin thing like the G1 and BOSJ? And for someone who doesn't follow much Stardom but wants to, is this a good place to start?

(this is not a thread title suggestion)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yep, Round robins are pretty common in Japanese promotions, and as I understand it, the 5 Star GP is kind of the women's G1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the cool thing about Stardom is they open the matches with subtitled pretape promos so every show is a great place to dive in. They don't run really detailed stories so most of the angles are "gimme a title shot" or "let me join your faction" Its pure and simple quality joshi with the occasional gaijin talent.