Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

There's probably only a few thousand actual special forces combat people on earth, the idea that they'd both kill a bunch of them and that there would be enough of them for Kinds to both supply new ones to the facility and keep a bunch of them under the radar in Seattle seems at odds with the idea. Also there must be more to what an "outlier" is than just combat training since militaries keep insanely detailed records so they wouldn't need Kinds' algorithm in the first place. The whole "the raps/clicks are panicked" is an OK excuse but it still sits oddly for me.

One of my favorite things about The Alien Years [sci-fi book with eerily similar premise to season 1] is that after 40 years of brutal occupation and hard fought, heart wrenching guerilla warfare the aliens just gently caress off one day, the human resistance accomplished nothing

There was expected to be 72,000 special operations members in the US alone around 2014, from what i just saw. Half of that number are door kickers.

edit: Rangers make up a lot of that number i expect, Will was a Ranger.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Bowman looks like quite a chump until he gets weapons and goes into beast mode.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to google there’s around 3600 rangers, so maybe double that for people who are retired but could still fight? My point is still that if the hosts are depending on their actual fighting abilities there’s certainly not enough of them to defend an entire planet, especially since 2 of them couldn’t beat one mystery enemy. I’m guessing they “upgraded” them in some way before putting them in storage pods, or maybe the pods do the upgrading.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

dude... there are africans who've been fighting since the age of eight that'd rip a loving ranger in two with their teeth.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 21, 2018

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I expect that in military circles there's a precise definition as to which units actually qualify as special forces/special operations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they mentioned they were taking from every military in the world, not just America. Also it is a TV show, they're going to fudge the numbers to make it work.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Octy posted:

I expect that in military circles there's a precise definition as to which units actually qualify as special forces/special operations.

If it falls under a Special Operations Command, your in. They have a a lot of civvies and none combat personnel. They have a lot of pilots and air crews too, they qualify.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure outlier is more 'seen combat, shot some dudes' than what sort of reputation you earned in the recon community.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jfood posted:

pretty sure outlier is more 'seen combat, shot some dudes' than what sort of reputation you earned in the recon community.

Well that's speculation, and most SOC personnel have seen combat i would imagine, why keep your ace in hole when you're fighting 19 wars.

You trade up into Special Forces. That geezer Will and Broussard talked to hadn't finished BUD/S. Which would make him regular navy beforehand.

My complete guess is, it's an attribute based thing on the robot algorithm. People would die in the invasion and authority take over for sure, but the survivors are funneled to the Outlier program in one way or another.

Edit: i also misread your post :)

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 21, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's cool man, my posts are hard to read.

more making the point that outliers are a global thing and the bowman's have only seen a list generated in america, which would really draw the bulk of their content from those fancy death squads. make that list up elsewhere and you'll get similar dudes but differing skill sets, which are just as useful. pretty sure there are some serious rules about morks never killing morks and stuff like nuking a city block is more of a calculated decision, they wanna use hate. hate that can be guided though, not the innate, reckless kind. it's a weapon they don't have.

besides, if you take away the fresh bullets and stale pop-tarts, you're left with 3600 fratboys that don't know the language. some gonna be more useful than others in that scenario but they still ain't gonna be no jihadi that can live off a diet of rocks and 'gently caress you'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jfood posted:

it's cool man, my posts are hard to read.

more making the point that outliers are a global thing and the bowman's have only seen a list generated in america, which would really draw the bulk of their content from those fancy death squads. make that list up elsewhere and you'll get similar dudes but differing skill sets, which are just as useful. pretty sure there are some serious rules about morks never killing morks and stuff like nuking a city block is more of a calculated decision, they wanna use hate. hate that can be guided though, not the innate, reckless kind. it's a weapon they don't have.

besides, if you take away the fresh bullets and stale pop-tarts, you're left with 3600 fratboys that don't know the language. some gonna be more useful than others in that scenario but they still ain't gonna be no jihadi that can live off a diet of rocks and 'gently caress you'.

Yeah i agree, it makes sense. What they want are soldiers, but smart ones.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

There might be a bit more to the Outlier program, we haven't fully seen what they did to them. Unless they are just keeping them in cold storage.

There might be more, but it didn't seem that the guys in that test were doing anything nuts (also seemed like it was a pretty unfair fight).

I mean that resistance cell was maybe about 20-25 operators, that isn't too crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season is really good. Snyder is becoming even more amazing and Broussard is finally growing on me.

Bram's inability to act feels like an intentional punchline at this point. "Hey... Gracie... we... need... to... go... somewhere... safe..." :geno:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I gotta give some credit to this show. After the first season where they kind of milled around not wanting to explore the premise beyond an excuse for family drama, they really ramped it into high gear this season.

I also like that more shows are approaching their season with a 'harsher' split between the first half and second half of the season. The Expanse did this too and I think it worked out well. 6 episodes per arc keeps things moving a lot quicker and doesn't feel like they're dragging anything out longer than it needs to be. The resistance camp for example could have been a whole season of slowly going to poo poo but they moved through it in a couple episodes and it felt like it was exactly as long as it needed to be.

Synder is great. I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up turning on the Hosts by the end because he realizes that the 'other side' is offering a better deal.

There's been some cool twists in the story this season and I'm interested to see how the finale plays out. Feels like a good time to ditch the two remaining kids somewhere which has been the only real negative of the show; though I like what they did with Bram's arc it's just a shame the actor didn't really engage me in it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

This season is really good. Snyder is becoming even more amazing and Broussard is finally growing on me.

Well Synder's actor has always been one of the consistently solid ones in the whole series especially how he weasels his way out
of no win situations by manipulating people.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PaybackJack posted:

I gotta give some credit to this show. After the first season where they kind of milled around not wanting to explore the premise beyond an excuse for family drama, they really ramped it into high gear this season.

I also like that more shows are approaching their season with a 'harsher' split between the first half and second half of the season. The Expanse did this too and I think it worked out well. 6 episodes per arc keeps things moving a lot quicker and doesn't feel like they're dragging anything out longer than it needs to be. The resistance camp for example could have been a whole season of slowly going to poo poo but they moved through it in a couple episodes and it felt like it was exactly as long as it needed to be.

Synder is great. I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up turning on the Hosts by the end because he realizes that the 'other side' is offering a better deal.

There's been some cool twists in the story this season and I'm interested to see how the finale plays out. Feels like a good time to ditch the two remaining kids somewhere which has been the only real negative of the show; though I like what they did with Bram's arc it's just a shame the actor didn't really engage me in it.

Snyder is great because you don't actually know what he is going to do right now.

My theory is that after Charlie's death he resolved himself to take down the IGA somehow and that all of the algorithm talk will come back.

"The man who beat the algorithm. It said you were supposed to be a low level, unimportant nobody and look at you now. At the top of the world."
"You know why the hosts picked you? Because the algorithm said you are the kind of people that will always drag the rest of the crabs down into the bucket."

So I can see Snyder waiting until a critical moment to turn and drop a ":smug: I'm the man who beat the algorithm" on his boss. I can also see him going full IGA and only waiting until they lose to try and weasel his way into the favor of the resistance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Snyder getting redemption is obvious but it would be so good and they've definitely set it up to happen. He's basically Ben Linus 2.0 in all the best ways

edit: Bram is one good acting coach and 5 years away from being the perfect casting choice for a Jeff Buckley documentary

precision fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 21, 2018

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

https://deadline.com/2018/07/colony-canceled-usa-network-after-3-seasons-1202431078/

well poo poo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I feel like Snyder getting redemption is obvious but it would be so good and they've definitely set it up to happen. He's basically Ben Linus 2.0 in all the best ways

edit: Bram is one good acting coach and 5 years away from being the perfect casting choice for a Jeff Buckley documentary

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Y'Bastard :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Booooooo!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Uggggh. I’m just loving done with watching shows that are written with an ending in mind until they wrap on their own terms, because what’s the loving point.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Well that sucks, especially since they just finally started moving the plot along.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That really sucks but i'm not terribly surprised, the ratings haven't been particularly good all season.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I guess I should probably not get overly invested in shows like this because they're usually cancelled at the S3/S4 mark, but it still sucks. It was really starting to take off the last few episodes and I'd have liked another season to wrap things up.

And somehow Shooter remains on air.

Octy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Octy posted:

I guess I should probably not get overly invested in shows like this because they're usually cancelled at the S3/S4 mark, but it still sucks. It was really starting to take off the last few episodes and I'd have liked another season to wrap things up.

And somehow Shooter remains on air.

NRA nutters love that show. It's set in Texas.

I watch it too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Uggggh. I’m just loving done with watching shows that are written with an ending in mind until they wrap on their own terms, because what’s the loving point.

This is how shows get cancelled though.

(Also, tbh, it was too little too late for this show. Season 2 tanked the entire enterprise.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh goddamn it :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
How the hell is Suits on it's 45th season and this gets cancelled?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

How the hell is Suits on it's 45th season and this gets cancelled?

People hate lawyers, but for some inexplicable reason they love lawyer shows

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I should know better by now than to enjoy sci-fi themed shows. They almost always get shitcanned 3 or 4 seasons too soon.

12 Monkeys was given an incredible final season and had one of the best series finale episodes i've seen out of any genre in years, but 12 Monkeys was a rarity.

I'm still pissy over the fact that I never got a season 3 for the Terminator TV show on Fox.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm glad that shows are more planned out now and have some kind of ending in mind, thats better than bullshitting your way through. The next step is to make shorter, tighter stories, and aim for 3-4 seasons from the beginning.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not surprising given the ratings

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat. I hate how predictably sci fi shows get cancelled, I thought that somehow Colony could get another season or two out.

Maybe we'll get something satisfying on Wednesday. If not, it would be nice if the creators would release notes on their plans for future seasons and an ending...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Completely unsurprised by the cancellation... they should have gotten to this point a season earlier. 2 seasons of just barely hinting at what the hosts were and what the plan is, then a full infodump season all at once.

It was starting to get pretty cool too :smith: I just wish they spaced everything out a bit better

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

See, I rarely have any idea about the ratings for these shows as I don't live in the US. It frustrates me also that I can't have any impact on them because international viewers aren't worth a drat to the networks in measuring the popularity of a show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure like most sci-fi shows they’re just streamed more. Cable TV is still trying to hold onto that live ad corpse as long as they can.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Octy posted:

See, I rarely have any idea about the ratings for these shows as I don't live in the US. It frustrates me also that I can't have any impact on them because international viewers aren't worth a drat to the networks in measuring the popularity of a show.

I mean, they are, but only rarely. (Elementary is the only terrestrial example that springs to mind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
gently caress gently caress gently caress.

This is Stargate: Universe all over again. What, an actual sci-fi show with good cast, excellent writing and casting and some really intriguing storylines? Better cancel the motherfuck out this one, folks. And better pump out 14 new utterly forgettable sitcoms instead which have viewerships in triple digits but somehow get renewed for 9 seasons.

The Expanse got picked up by another network, what do you think are the chances of this happening with Colony?

• Locked thread