Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

Oh poo poo, they just announced Frances McDormand is playing God in Good Omens! What a loving cast in that show, my god.

It sounds like it is going to be pretty good. Still a ways off though, IIRC Gaiman has said it is airing next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
The only thing that stops me orgasming instantly at the Good Omens show is that the book kind of died for me about a third of the way through. The first third is insanely brilliant and funny, and then the rest feels like something they knocked out over a weekend after discovering they didn't actually have any more plot or jokes. Hopefully the show fixes that problem though...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shonda Rhines is working on 8 shows for Netflix and they all sound terrible.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/netflix-shonda-rhimes-projects/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lycus posted:

The tweets were lovely, edgelord stuff that would be garbage even from a teenager.

Disney absolutely knew about them years ago and fired him for PR.

Cernovich is a piece of crap who misrepresented them to make them seem even worse.

Yeah I think this sums it all up well.

Who was it who lost a show a while back because the alt right led a campaign based on some tweets? I believe it ended with them getting back on the air and an apology being issues for listening to literal nazis. Maybe a news correspondent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think this sums it all up well.

Who was it who lost a show a while back because the alt right led a campaign based on some tweets? I believe it ended with them getting back on the air and an apology being issues for listening to literal nazis. Maybe a news correspondent.

Sam Seder got fired from MSNBC when the same alt right tool dug up a Roman Polanski joke he had made. The context clearly showed he was making fun of the film industry for accepting Polanski, so MSNBC hired him back and apologized.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s the one, good memory.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

His jokes were disgusting and I'm not going to defend those, but I do believe that he sincerely moved on from it and changed and stopped doing it after he apologized the first time. The culture around jokes like that has changed a lot and quickly w/ the rise of the internet and social media and I think it's silly to can him over it, especially when it's something he doesn't seem to do at all any more. But I also don't really care who directs Marvel movies and I'm sure his career will be fine w/ those first two Guardians flicks under his belt so

It's just incredibly stupid how this came about.

e: re: good omens holy gently caress I just took a peek at that cast. gently caress yes Miranda Richardson

muscles like this! posted:

I think this sums up my opinion on the whole situation.
https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1020399046475886594

:agreed: and I think I'm done talking about it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mu Zeta posted:

How do you get 8 shows at once?! Has she done previous Netflix releases?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

"dark comedy about a troop of teenage girls who survive the apocalypse and want humanity to live by their Sunshine Scouts rules."

Say no more fam, i'm in.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Aside from the first couple (or few?) seasons of Scandal which were incredibly fun, are any of Shonda's shows any good? I gave up on Scandal after S3 I think.

e: oh I guess I forgot about Grey's Anatomy. That was pretty good once upon a time.
also I had no idea James Gunn was once with Troma. that's pretty cool

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not a fan of her shows, but I'm glad she keeps gettin work and employing tons of women and minorities, many of whom are baller af and deserve to be getting steady paycheques.

e: oh yeah scandal was fun as hell for a while but i fell off quick. never could get into grey's despite how much i love sandra oh tho

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LadyPictureShow posted:

Better article

https://www.thewrap.com/netflix-unveils-slate-8-shonda-rhimes-shows/

esperterra posted:

I'm not a fan of her shows, but I'm glad she keeps gettin work and employing tons of women and minorities, many of whom are baller af and deserve to be getting steady paycheques.

e: oh yeah scandal was fun as hell for a while but i fell off quick. never could get into grey's despite how much i love sandra oh tho

This is great and all but imagine if the shows were also good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Colony has gone from pretty good to fuckin' great this season, especially with Wayne Brady joining the cast and Peter Jacobson continuing to be "Ben Linus 2.0". Check it out if you haven't.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

This is great and all but imagine if the shows were also good

Oh I agree, but eh enough people seem to enjoy them so w/e.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Colony has gone from pretty good to fuckin' great this season, especially with Wayne Brady joining the cast and Peter Jacobson continuing to be "Ben Linus 2.0". Check it out if you haven't.

I see the thread has jumped up by way more posts than normal since the newest episode, so I can’t wait to catch up over the weekend. It’s been a better season than last year by a good chunk for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The only thing that stops me orgasming instantly at the Good Omens show is that the book kind of died for me about a third of the way through. The first third is insanely brilliant and funny, and then the rest feels like something they knocked out over a weekend after discovering they didn't actually have any more plot or jokes. Hopefully the show fixes that problem though...

The one part I remember dragging on for way too long was the whole "Biker of the Apocalypse" bits. It seemed like something that P&G thought was way funnier than it turned out to be.

Also kind of wonder if the "human being" joke will stay in. It's supposed to reflect poorly on the American soldier but it definitely seems a little too meanspirited now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Shonda Rhimes posted:

a dark comedy about a troop of teenage girls who survive the apocalypse and want humanity to live by their Sunshine Scouts rules.

Nope, this concept rules.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Oh poo poo, they just announced Frances McDormand is playing God in Good Omens! What a loving cast in that show, my god.
https://twitter.com/GoodOmensAmazon/status/1020458334405529600

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

The one part I remember dragging on for way too long was the whole "Biker of the Apocalypse" bits. It seemed like something that P&G thought was way funnier than it turned out to be.

I'm relatively certain that Gaiman wrote all the biker sections. There were a couple interviews where they talked about who wrote what and how the things that most people thought one of them wrote were actually written by the other one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Davros1 posted:

Apparently Buffy the Vampire Slayer's being rebooted
I think I'd be down for the Buffy reboot if the protag is clearly a different character, like she's called "Buffy Winters" or something. v:shobon:v

Like c'mon, just set it as a sequel spin-off set in the original universe. You already have the lore and get to explore how things have changed in the Buffyverse since 2003. Everyone wins.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

I think I'd be down for the Buffy reboot if the protag is clearly a different character, like she's called "Buffy Winters" or something. v:shobon:v

Like c'mon, just set it as a sequel spin-off set in the original universe. You already have the lore and get to explore how things have changed in the Buffyverse since 2003. Everyone wins.

Sequel would be a nightmare after the end of Angel, and the dickhead comics.

Make it an 80's show and have an earlier Slayer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not a fan of Tennant personally (though he is a good actor, I won't deny that), but Sheen alone balances that out for me-- let alone the rest of the cast. Show should be worth it for that alone imo.

e: ^^ I would be hella down for a Buffy series that is about a slayer who came before her. Either that or do a sequel where you ignore how Dawn turned into like a minotaur and a giant and a doll at some point and retcon all the dumb comics

except for buffy lezzing it up, that can be canon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Or just finally make a Ripper show goddamnit

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

Apparently Buffy the Vampire Slayer's being rebooted

Yeah, I saw that. Joss has handed off showrunner duties to someone else so maybe it’ll even be good!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Not a fan of Tennant personally (though he is a good actor, I won't deny that), but Sheen alone balances that out for me-- let alone the rest of the cast. Show should be worth it for that alone imo.

e: ^^ I would be hella down for a Buffy series that is about a slayer who came before her. Either that or do a sequel where you ignore how Dawn turned into like a minotaur and a giant and a doll at some point and retcon all the dumb comics

except for buffy lezzing it up, that can be canon

Rebooting a show is ok, but Buffy is an entire universe. Get SMG back for one episode and merk her good. Next slayer...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh I’d rather have a do over, that way they won’t feel obligated to bring James Marsters or David Boreanez in once ratings start to flag.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I saw that. Joss has handed off showrunner duties to someone else so maybe it’ll even be good!

Also she's a black woman who's written for Fringe and Shield, and they are casting a black woman for lead. So it'll be pretty different I imagine. Set during the current day obviously. It says they are going to build on the history but I don't know if that means the lead will be millenial Buffy or if she's a new slayer years after Buffy

quote:

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.”

According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shonda rules and her ensemble casts are pretty great. Like the only bad thing I can say about her work thus far is Scandal disappears into a lovely conspiracy concept in the 3rd season and never recovers but the cast still bring their a-game in every episode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Completely Uncontroversial-But-Correct Statement:

Season 4 of Veep is easily the best season of the show, and possibly one of the most stacked casts in a season of comedy.

You've got the usual suspects from the pilot who all grew so much as performers and characters:
Matt Walsh
Reid Scott
Sufe Bradshaw
Timothy Simons
Tony Hale
Anna Chlumsky
and of course Julia Louis-Dreyfus doing career work (which is saying something given her career)

You've got the great additions to the main cast from the few seasons in-between:
Gary Cole
Kevin Dunn
Sam Richardson

You've got a killer cast of recurring actors from previous seasons:
Diedrich Bader
Sarah Sutherland
Kathy Naijimy
Dan Bakkedahl/Nelson Franklin
Randall Park
Isaiah Whitlock Jr.
Brian Huskey
Sally Phillips (every Minna Hakkenen episode is practically my favorite of the season, she's so funny)
plus a bunch of characters whose actors you might not know, but are essential to the show (Doyle, O'Brian, Thornhill, Sidney Purcell, Speaker Marwood, Owen Pierce)

And then to top it all off like a pair of flavored whipped creams on a perfectly baked dessert, you get Hugh Laurie and Patton Oswalt, and it all comes together in the amazing C-SPAN testimony episode at the end of the season. Literally my only complaint is that Selena's ex-husband doesn't appear, but he's in all of the other seasons and there's only so much room.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

Completely Uncontroversial-But-Correct Statement:

Season 4 of Veep is easily the best season of the show, and possibly one of the most stacked casts in a season of comedy.

oh yeah, it's so goddamn good. I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll always be partial to Season 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOE8kL3dac

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 is my personal favourite too, but 4 isn’t far behind. And then 6 is definitely the worst so far

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Honestly, I still haven't gotten around to watching Season 6. I don't know why, maybe the end of S5 felt like a perfect series finale to me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 21, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You’re kind of right. More than anything 6 just feels superfluous.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

This one has a lot of potential:

quote:

The Warmth of Other Suns

Based on Pulitzer-Prize winning author Isabel Wilkerson’s award-winning book of the same name, this powerful groundbreaking series tracks the decades-long migration of African-Americans fleeing the Jim Crow South in search of a better life in the North and the West between 1916 and 1970.

National Humanities Medal recipient, MacArthur Genius Grant recipient and 2-time Drama Desk winning playwright Anna Deavere Smith (EP) is set to adapt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that one stands out but the EP is more of an academic and a playwright. Those people can't run TV shows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah that one stands out but the EP is more of an academic and a playwright. Those people can't run TV shows.

It'll depend on who else comes on board imo. If they can find someone to balance that out or properly translate it to TV it could be tight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Whenever Kurt Sutter's name comes up, the first thing I think of is his weird hate for JUSTIFIED and how they made Timothy Olyphant a producer on the show. He kept talking about how actors should never be involved in the creative process because it's nothing but an ego move for themselves until Graham Yost pointed out that a lot of the side-characters got more to do because Olyphant pushed for it and also that Chiklis became a producer on THE SHIELD (Sutter's answer to that was that Chiklis 'knew his place').

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

Whenever Kurt Sutter's name comes up, the first thing I think of is his weird hate for JUSTIFIED and how they made Timothy Olyphant a producer on the show. He kept talking about how actors should never be involved in the creative process because it's nothing but an ego move for themselves until Graham Yost pointed out that a lot of the side-characters got more to do because Olyphant pushed for it and also that Chiklis became a producer on THE SHIELD (Sutter's answer to that was that Chiklis 'knew his place').

Kurt Sutter is a loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kurt Sutter is so terrible and I'll never understand how he's married to Katey Sagal b/c it makes me wonder if she's secretly terrible, and I hope she isn't.