Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah I'm not going to defend his tweets, some of them are hella gross, just the fact it seems he moved on and grew from it after he apologized the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah we should all be... very, very concerned about this.

The alt-right tried a new tactic today and it was so successful that they accomplished their goal in less than 12 hours. They threw a smoke bomb into a room full of liberals and instead of waiting for it to clear they just starting punching wildly.

hosed up imo that people would feel uneasy about someone who loved joking about child rape

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the people that felt "uneasy" defended actual child predator roy moore.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

yo, it's cool that those are all just bantz etc. and it's equally cool that Disney fired him instantly because 'just bantz' is a poo poo excuse
if he's not a poo poo person then he'll make movies again and if he is (and let's be honest here, kinda looks like he is) then he won't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My friend pointed out that Disney still employs Johnny Depp who is demonstrably a shittier person than Gunn

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lelandjs posted:

Cool! Concern trolling MAGAs got one of the more interesting directors Marvel had shitcanned because he made the same stupid jokes you, yes you, the the person reading this post, also made on Twitter five years ago! Heck, you may have even made similar posts on your alt account in GBS not even five minutes ago!

This is normal and fine and doesn’t set a terrible precedent at all!

It doesn't? Now people won't make terrible jokes about loving kids etc. and the world will be a better place. The world didn't need James Gunn to heroically make jokes about loving the pussy boy next to him after he saw The Expendables. I mean, you saw all those tweets. Did any of them get even a chuckle?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The tweets were awful, but they were a decade old and he's apologized in the past for his poo poo sense of humour on the internet, and as far as I know has cut it out w/r/t making dumb jokes like that and bettered himself in that regard.

People can change for the better. Even grown rear end men.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

It doesn't? Now people won't make terrible jokes about loving kids etc. and the world will be a better place. The world didn't need James Gunn to heroically make jokes about loving the pussy boy next to him after he saw The Expendables. I mean, you saw all those tweets. Did any of them get even a chuckle?

this all came out 6 years ago and he apologized then. the two guys that dredged this poo poo up defended an actual factual child predator.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Does them being poo poo people make those tweets fake?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

this all came out 6 years ago and he apologized then. the two guys that dredged this poo poo up defended an actual factual child predator.

Also one of them was actually on trial for rape and pleaded guilty after the charge was reduced to battery and he did community service for it. And is also outspokenly pro-rape. And was only doing this to protect actual rapist Donald Trump, the President somehow, from outspoken critics.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nobody is saying the tweets are good. There's things that are actual crimes, like rape, which is a thing Mike Cernovich did and is outspokenly in favor of, and then there's stupid poo poo people realize is wrong and clean up their act. If Gunn was a serial what the gently caress ever, this would be a different story, but he's been squeaky clean since then. lovely tweets are not a loving crime.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 21, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

hmmm almost like my tweet had two sentences in it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

My friend pointed out that Disney still employs Johnny Depp who is demonstrably a shittier person than Gunn

And like I said in my last post, the show director at Walt Disney World is a literal rapist who offers sex in exchange for jobs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fire those people as well. I get the argument here is he's changed etc. but why don't we just find someone who didn't make lovely jokes? I don't understand why this dude is worth defending. You're not obligated to defend a dude just because the people accusing him are poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

And like I said in my last post, the show director at Walt Disney World is a literal rapist who offers sex in exchange for jobs.

yea i saw. im looking forward (so to speak :() to that story breaking

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

Fire those people as well. I get the argument here is he's changed etc. but why don't we just find someone who didn't make lovely jokes? I don't understand why this dude is worth defending. You're not obligated to defend a dude just because the people accusing him are poo poo.

this only works if this is the first time the tweets are being brought to light.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Relevant Tangent posted:

Degrees. Not everything has to be black & white.

He made lovely jokes and he's a lovely director and tbh I am fine with him being fired because I don't give a poo poo about him. My problem is really that the much worse fuckers arent getting fired

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Firing him late is better than not firing him, isn’t it? There are plenty of good directors who haven’t made awful and crass jokes publicly.

That Disney is a pile of hypocrites isn’t all that surprising. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was fired for contract negotiation reasons with this as cover, but either way I’m not losing sleep over this firing.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I like James Gunn. He's always been a weirdo, but he's also a person who got his start in the business by making Troma movies, where being outrageous and disgusting is the norm. Disney has been fully aware of that since the beginning, and they hired him anyways. They're cowards and hypocrites, really.

Jimmy Urine has been in a goddamn Disney movie, and nobody batted a loving eye.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Word around town is that Disney is named after Walt Disney--that guy's frozen in the 60s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why are we holding movie directors to a higher standard than elected officials is the real question

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Relevant Tangent posted:

I’m not in support of the tweets, no. The issue here is that the alt-right concern trolled, liberals took the bait, and even though Gunn had already acknowledged that they were in bad taste and learned from the previous outcry about them he was still fired.

The precedent I’m concerned about is the alt-right being successful with bating people into overreacting and disproportionately punishing someone that doesn’t deserve it using social media. They’ve tried it in the past without success, but today they did with Gunn with his stupid tweets. Tomorrow? Maybe they find some other stupid poo poo, I dunno, a letter Liz Warren wrote to her college roommate decades ago. And then they concern troll her out of office.

The point is that their stupid loving plan (punish Gunn for insulting one of their own) worked and that’s terrifying. That’s not a power anyone should have, let alone MAGA shitheads.

And I know that right-wingers have had similar things happen (Roseanne) but in that case she was airing her lovely opinions on Twitter in 2018. If Gunn had posted one of his 2012 tweets today, poo poo, I would have been banging on Disney’s door to fire him. But that’s not what happened here.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Mobs having the ability to get people fired is clearly bad, but why is anyone surprised? It's not new. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

If enough outrage can get someone canned, assholes will take advantage. Are you expecting Disney or any corporation to show a spine? They will take the path of least resistance. Because capitalism.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I expect people not to fall for obvious bullshit from the alt-right.

https://twitter.com/asecondduck/status/1020405530165116936?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lelandjs posted:

I expect people not to fall for obvious bullshit from the alt-right.

thatd be nice. i was gonna say something about pigs flying but you know, cmon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

chitoryu12 posted:

And yet they still employ Johnny Depp.

Oh and J. Michael Roddy, the show director at WDW, who’s been raping, sexually assaulting, and “casting couching” for 20+ years. He was kicked out of Universal Art & Design and is banned from SeaWorld and Busch Gardens property but Disney is still hanging on.

I’m helping out with gathering witness statements for a journalist so we can blow this open with a local news story. He’s Orlando’s Harvey Weinstein.

Never meet your heroes man. Now that this is coming out, I am disgusted that I shook his hand and told him how much I admired his work. Everything is loving terrible.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Disney will be employing John Lasseter until the end of the year and he's someone who has ACTUALLY raped people.

Yinlock posted:

hosed up imo that people would feel uneasy about someone who loved joking about child rape

hosed up imo that people would fire a guy about some lovely edgelord jokes that were told a decade ago.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 21, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Never meet your heroes man. Now that this is coming out, I am disgusted that I shook his hand and told him how much I admired his work. Everything is loving terrible.

The dude hit on my mom once. I'm finding out because she knows a woman who used to work at Universal that got raped by him 20 years ago, and she's been going public about it. Roddy's trying to do damage control (like accusing her of stalking him) but a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork with stories about him date raping, sexually harassing, and offering jobs for sex.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

chitoryu12 posted:

The dude hit on my mom once. I'm finding out because she knows a woman who used to work at Universal that got raped by him 20 years ago, and she's been going public about it. Roddy's trying to do damage control (like accusing her of stalking him) but a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork with stories about him date raping, sexually harassing, and offering jobs for sex.

It sounds like you're on the ground floor of this. Definitely keep us updated on whatever unfolds.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

zandert33 posted:

I remember years ago on SA reading pages and pages of horrible dead baby and rape jokes. Did this site become so freaking neutered that we support people calling for blood about a person who made some dirty joke tweets years ago?

Give me a freaking break people.

Yes, yes it has. But then again, this has been a trend amongst nerds for a while now. We all care now.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah we should all be... very, very concerned about this.

The alt-right tried a new tactic today and it was so successful that they accomplished their goal in less than 12 hours. They threw a smoke bomb into a room full of liberals and instead of waiting for it to clear they just starting punching wildly.

It wasn't new and all groups always turn on themselves.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

zandert33 posted:

I remember years ago on SA reading pages and pages of horrible dead baby and rape jokes. Did this site become so freaking neutered that we support people calling for blood about a person who made some dirty joke tweets years ago?

Give me a freaking break people.

We were in our teens and this man was in his forties. It says a lot about you that you think edgelord behavior that eerily *only* focuses on pedophilia is acceptable to a man in his forties, who also shares those comments with known pedophiles.

Also calling for blood and having some teeth to your moral convictions is not really a sign of being "neutered" is it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This whole thing wouldn't be quite as damning of Disney if it wasn't for the fact that people who actually genuinely cared and were concerned brought up these tweets when Gunn was first hired and they didn't even pretend to give a gently caress, and yet when a rapist nazi brings it up they immediately shitcan him with no review. its extremely telling of what kind of people the mouse's corporate team actually gives a poo poo about.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

ALFbrot posted:

I have no idea the content or context of the video in the other images, but as far as this one goes..

Minus the transphobia... yes, they're just bad, crass jokes.

The video linked was of a large Belgian women's choir singing "I Touch Myself" from the Divinyls. You know, that song from Austin Powers.
That's incredibly benign considering the rest of the tweets - it just looks really bad out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ5VNXIiv1c

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Is the following just a joke? Is who he shared the "joke" with just eight years ago suspicious to you at all?

Just FYI the link Gunn had in this tweet was a rickroll

Transphobia is lovely but pretending overall acceptance towards both transphobic material and trans persons hasn't made huge leaps in a DECADE is just...yeah.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I am really uncomfortable with this growing idea that someone should go unpunished because the wrong people raised the issue, or that we should ignore X because Y has yet to be punished.

Sure, Gunn was comparatively tame next to others in Hollywood, but he was making vile jokes (of which comedians are routinely being lambasted for nowadays, and not without reason) in his mid-forties, contributing to the overall culture that's infested it. Small steps have to come with the big ones.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This whole thing wouldn't be quite as damning of Disney if it wasn't for the fact that people who actually genuinely cared and were concerned brought up these tweets when Gunn was first hired and they didn't even pretend to give a gently caress, and yet when a rapist nazi brings it up they immediately shitcan him with no review. its extremely telling of what kind of people the mouse's corporate team actually gives a poo poo about.

Disney is the largest media company in the world and is going to get significantly larger in the next 1-2 years because of the Fox acquisition. Their goal is to not get on the bad side of anyone, and since they (rightfully) shitcanned Roseanne for being a lovely racist a couple months ago, they are likely saying "this is our new line, if someone has done/said something lovely we need to get rid of them quick, we don't need them, we can just find someone else because we have more money than god". At the same time, a bunch of bad faith actors (which might as well be the subtitle of the whole alt-right movement) who were pissed when Roseanne got fired (because they also are lovely racists) were looking for someone to target to make Disney take that same stand again.

This is likely only going to be more commonplace as time goes on and Disney controls more of the media. One of their public-facing employees will do something heinous and get fired, people who sympathize with said person will find someone else who opposes them and has said heinous things in the past, and will make this same argument again. This fight is inherently unfair because one side is not fighting in good faith and will take any position that will benefit them, and Disney doesn't give a poo poo if the people complaining are being morally forthright about their intentions because all they see are unhappy talking bags of money, and the less unhappy talking bags of money the better. Maybe this will hurt them if people who are pissed off about the firing actually don't go see Guardians 3 or even *gasp* don't go see the next Avengers movie, but they're betting that they won't skip them, and honestly it's a pretty safe bet that they're still gonna make bundles of cash. If you want Disney to stop paying attention to bad-faith actors in situations like this you need to give them financial incentive.

*THAT BEING SAID* those jokes were genuinely lovely, the things that Gunn apologized for when he got the Guardians job were his gross blog posts and not (to my awareness) his lovely edgelord tweets, and while this borders on victim-blaming, if you're a famous person you should really have someone whose job it is to monitor your past social media and delete it if it's even slightly controversial. There are entire businesses devoted to just such a thing, and if you have enough money that you can afford them, you probably need them if you've ever been on Twitter/Facebook/other social media.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Safeword posted:

I am really uncomfortable with this growing idea that someone should go unpunished because the wrong people raised the issue, or that we should ignore X because Y has yet to be punished.

Sure, Gunn was comparatively tame next to others in Hollywood, but he was making vile jokes (of which comedians are routinely being lambasted for nowadays, and not without reason) in his mid-forties, contributing to the overall culture that's infested it. Small steps have to come with the big ones.

But is punishing the people who have already apologized and commited to changing for the better the right decision? It would be different if this kind of behaviour was something Gunn has never been called out for, but he's already addressed it and stopped doing it.

That's where I start to feel really weird about this. Sure it sends a message that if you gently caress up you should have to deal with the consequences, but it also sends the message that there's no point in making an effort to change if something bad you said 10 years ago can bite your rear end after you've had like five years of being a better person.

Maybe it'll come out that Gunn's been a shithead and just not posting it to social media, and then I'll eat my words, but the way I see it now just leaves a weird feeling in my stomach.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Safeword posted:

By that same token, no one should work with Eddie Murphy because of material his 80s stand ups, Adam Sandler because of material in his 90s movies, Judd Apatow because of material in his mid-2000s movies, etc. They're indefensible today, but they're super crass versions of jokes that weren't out of place in 2008.

If Gunn was tweeting "actually it's ehebeophillia" like, yesterday, those might be viewed in a different context. This is was different than Roseanne running around tweeting the n-word in 2018, and pretending there's no way that someone could believe different to what they said ten years ago really lowers the discourse.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
But then, to me, that raises the issue of - especially in the context of "good faith" - how genuine an online apology actually would be, and where do we draw the line on someone eluding punishment because of it. Just because they didn't get the backlash *then* doesn't mean they should avoid it later because they weren't fired at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

I, Butthole posted:

By that same token, no one should work with Eddie Murphy because of material his 80s stand ups, Adam Sandler because of material in his 90s movies, Judd Apatow because of material in his mid-2000s movies, etc. They're indefensible today, but they're super crass versions of jokes that weren't out of place in 2008.

If Gunn was tweeting "actually it's ehebeophillia" like, yesterday, those might be viewed in a different context. This is was different than Roseanne running around tweeting the n-word in 2018, and pretending there's no way that someone could believe different to what they said ten years ago really lowers the discourse.

Right, but where's the cut off? Do we give Roseanne ten years and suddenly forget everything? What if it had been an alt right member who flagged up her original tweet, would that lessen the outrage about the comments?

I'm just irritated because all these accusations about bad faith and not genuinely being offended really muddies the waters. It shouldn't matter who is complaining about these tweets, but rather the content itself.