Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Xguard86 posted:

Notable for being incredibly effective and not spoilering the entire movie.

Helped by the fact that it had basically nothing to do with the movie, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
You can’t just paste a bunch of Trade Federation ball ships in and call it Mechagodzilla. I am furious at anime Godzilla for this bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HannibalBarca posted:

Helped by the fact that it had basically nothing to do with the movie, to be fair.

Including a kaiju that never actually appeared.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cythereal posted:

Including a kaiju that never actually appeared.

Yeah, what was the deal with that centipede looking thing anyways?

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I think Gareth Edwards said that when they were making the teaser the design for the MUTOs hadn't been finalized yet, yet they wanted to indicate that there monsters for Godzilla to fight, so they whipped up the centipede as a placeholder monster.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Placeholder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sio posted:

You can’t just paste a bunch of Trade Federation ball ships in and call it Mechagodzilla. I am furious at anime Godzilla for this bullshit.

I thought that scenario was good and the payoff wrt nanometal was cool. Mechagodzilla itself got dead by Godzilla battle in ages past, I like the different take the anime is presenting even if it's not perfect.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JBP posted:

I thought that scenario was good and the payoff wrt nanometal was cool. Mechagodzilla itself got dead by Godzilla battle in ages past, I like the different take the anime is presenting even if it's not perfect.

Something called Mechagodzilla city should be way more impressive than a few turrets on some domes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Is there a full version of the Oppenheimer "destroyer of worlds" interview?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
gently caress me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCL3Rnr8xE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Something called Mechagodzilla city should be way more impressive than a few turrets on some domes.

... especially when it's an animated feature and they don't have any of the limitations of rubber suits and miniature sets they had in the old Mechagodzilla films. They could have done absolutely anything with Mechagodzilla City but instead decided just to leave it sitting there while the Vulture suits mixed it up with G.

Maybe they're building up to something with MechaG in part 3? A 4-way battle between Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra and Ghidorah??

It really feels like this should have been a few seasons of half hour Netflix shows, this middle section wasn't much of a movie on its own.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Trailer is reportedly 2 mins 23 seconds long and coming soon!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Davros1 posted:

Trailer is reportedly 2 mins 23 seconds long and coming soon!

I'm sweating bullets.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It was; Mecha was nanotechnology, that if allowed to destroy Godzilla, would end up destroying the entire planet. The city, with the brain, had enough shielding to block off Godzillas heat ray, and enough power to kill him. Visually, it wasnt a cool looking kaiju, but it's the most dangerous Mechagodzilla weve seen, especially with those idiots in charge of it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

How theoretically impressive something is by in universe rules doesn't matter. All that matters is how it is presented to the audience. It was lame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In fact, a work insisting something is way cooler than it was actually presented in the work is arguably worse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

How theoretically impressive something is by in universe rules doesn't matter. All that matters is how it is presented to the audience. It was lame.

I disagree. I thought the premise and presentation of the city was great. I will give that it might have lent itself to more pizazz, but the anime is obviously not trying to go hard on monster v monster for now and present the human story.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It presented itself as something that started absorbing people against their will, and would take over the planet. Both things were shown and not just stated. The Thing/The Blob are something I personally rate over giant monsters in presentation, and techno blobzilla is a really good take and change, imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Darko posted:

It presented itself as something that started absorbing people against their will, and would take over the planet. Both things were shown and not just stated. The Thing/The Blob are something I personally rate over giant monsters in presentation, and techno blobzilla is a really good take and change, imo.

Yeah. Mechagodzilla's defeated head rebuilding itself into a bigger mechagodzilla would have been boring even if it looked cool.

E: like oh wow Godzilla is huge, oh wow so is mechagodzilla, oh he lost again ah well whatever.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I am not convinced that “giant monsters are boring, actually” is the quite the right premise for a Godzilla film.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe the anime is for me, but not for you.

Presumably there will be a fight between galaxy level monsters at the end which will hopefully make it worth your while though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Said like a man who didn't like ninja batman.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Panel just started. Trailer should be out real soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1020735186059661312

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Which one is playing Godzilla?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao mompocalypse

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah that looks pretty great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Interesting that we got a bunch of pretty clear looks at Rodan, but only brief teases of Mothra and King Ghidorah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HOLY gently caress

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's the name of the piano piece that plays 37 seconds in? It sounds familiar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Clair de Lune, by Debussy. You might recognize it from Car Boys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am so down for this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m curious if the mass extinction mentioned is Ghidorah or something else (Hedorah?) and the need to find the Kaiju is to stabilize the world. There are some beautiful shots in the trailer. Mothra looks amazing.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

This looks so much crazier (and bluer) than I expected. I'm so in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m curious if the mass extinction mentioned is Ghidorah or something else (Hedorah?) and the need to find the Kaiju is to stabilize the world. There are some beautiful shots in the trailer. Mothra looks amazing.

The trailer certainly doesn't give the impression of Monster vs Monster action

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm guessing the mass extinction is meant to be human-caused and this lady is an ecoterrorist waking up the kaiju because she thinks humanity needs to be curtailed. Got some distinct "Maybe humans are the real monsters" from her lines, and characters reacting to her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, that loving shot of what looks like Washington DC just DECIMATED.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm guessing the mass extinction is meant to be human-caused and this lady is an ecoterrorist waking up the kaiju because she thinks humanity needs to be curtailed. Got some distinct "Maybe humans are the real monsters" from her lines, and characters reacting to her.

Yeah, watching it a second time there's certainly that vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My guess is that the angle is global warming melted the ice keeping Ghidorah contained, therefore she doesn't feel bad about freeing Rodan and Mothra and them running loose on humanity in the process. The character's reactions are because jesus christ lady these things are gonna kill us all.