Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

2house2fly posted:

There's no way your companions are dying with that many stimpaks

Never said they were giving any of those stimpaks to their companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Stimpacks are actually useful so I feel that tweet would've been a lot better if it was pre-war money or something similarly useless

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Stimpacks are actually useful so I feel that tweet would've been a lot better if it was pre-war money or something similarly useless

Food $200
Armor $150
Weapons $800
Dinky the T-Rex souvenirs $3,600
Ammo $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my companions are dying

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Food $200
Armor $150
Weapons $800
Ammo $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my companions are dying

There we go :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the guy just had some snowglobes all his problems would be done.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Food $200
Armor $150
Weapons $800
Ammo $150

spend less on t-rex souvenirs

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Simsmagic posted:

no

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Correct answer.

Simsmagic posted:

Look at this goon, not supporting local businesses.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1019958640931827712

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They’re large enough to hire decent writers?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Survey says: .... Not evident!!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

They're confident that the retard mass called "gamers" are more easily placated than ever.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Todd why would you do this to me personally

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
After how bad Fallout 4's writing was, I have no confidence in Bethesda to write remotely interesting characters or plots.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'd say I that Fallout 4 had remotely interesting characters and plot, but I don't aim for mediocrity. Fallout New Vegas was like a debate of political philosophy but with mini-nukes and theoretical degrees in physics instead of repulsive college libertarians.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fallout's one of Bethesda's in-house flagship games. They have their own vision for the series.

If they wanted a game like New Vegas, they'd hire the writers and devs directly, but they don't, so bad luck.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

chitoryu12 posted:

Writing isn't the whole of Bethesda's problems, they also suck at design and integrating their writing into their design. But they also lack the foresight to realize that both are already bad.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Cactrot posted:

Writing isn't the whole of Bethesda's problems, they also suck at design and integrating their writing into their design. But they also lack the foresight to realize that both are already bad.

They have enough knowledge to know that their product will sell like hotcakes without it

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What would be the chance of Obsidion doing a spiritual successor to Fallout NV.

Could be interesting considering Fallout was originally a successor to Wasteland which they couldn't get the rights to.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Marenghi posted:

What would be the chance of Obsidion doing a spiritual successor to Fallout NV.

Could be interesting considering Fallout was originally a successor to Wasteland which they couldn't get the rights to.

Very little I'd think. They're riding the Pillars gravy train at the moment and Chris Avellone left the company a while ago

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Specifically he left over issues with the upper management, aka the guys responsible for the jobs Obsidian picks up and who agree to set deadlines. I get the feeling that while the studio has a reputation as being mercenaries not tied down to a publisher, the actual developers chafe under their production cycle because the strict timeframes they are given via management's contracts prevent them from having the same level of quality assurance as other companies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Specifically he left over issues with the upper management, aka the guys responsible for the jobs Obsidian picks up and who agree to set deadlines. I get the feeling that while the studio has a reputation as being mercenaries not tied down to a publisher, the actual developers chafe under their production cycle because the strict timeframes they are given via management's contracts prevent them from having the same level of quality assurance as other companies.
Every developer - whether they're freelance, inhouse or whatever - has strict timeframes. None of OEI's games have had absurdly short development times () New Vegas being the one big outlier for a game of that scope).

Also any of Avellone big "revelations" probably should be taken with several pinches of salt.
Avellone keeping his mouth mostly shut for over three years, only to open the floodgates the week before Deadfire launched when there Pathfinder: Kingmaker (an cRPG he worked on that's competing for the same market) coming out later this year is surely a pure coďncidence.
But the fact that all his big reveals happened over on RPGCodex makes it just suspect as that place worships Avellone (because they don't realize other people have worked on Planescape Tormet) and it carried a hateboner for OEI even before Avellone left because OEI employs "females & SJWs".
Additionally Avellone was upper management himself. Yet we are somehow supposed to believe that he was the singular virtuous angel in OEI's management? Basically if there was some core of truth on the stuff Avellone was saying, it was distorted and heavily one-sided. Really all he actually revealed was that he himself is an rear end in a top hat.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Couldn't they get Obsidian to just write the script? Or at least glance over it before they start programming.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

OldMemes posted:

Couldn't they get Obsidian to just write the script? Or at least glance over it before they start programming.

Can you imagine FNV with a Bethesda voice cast? On the plus side Stephen Russell would probably have played Boone, Vulpes Inculta and Hanlon. But the rest?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
KOTOR II famously had their timeline drastically shortened mid-development and had to cut a bunch of stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

eating only apples posted:

Can you imagine FNV with a Bethesda voice cast? On the plus side Stephen Russell would probably have played Boone, Vulpes Inculta and Hanlon. But the rest?

New Vegas did it so well - a mix of actual voice actors and C and D list character actors really works better than a few expensive A-listers. If you want celebrity voice actors, it's better to go a bit more niche, but with people who will give a stand out performance.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

KOTOR II famously had their timeline drastically shortened mid-development and had to cut a bunch of stuff.
That's not the entire story.
According to how both Urquhart and Avellone have always told it: In early 2004 LucasArts agreed to move up the release date from Q4 2004 to early 2005. Whoever from LucasArts Osidian talked to was impressed with all the neat ideas Obsidian had and the progress that was made, so they were cool with moving the date up at the time.
However because Urquhart back then was new to the whole managing-thing (this was Obsidian's first game), he didn't make sure the contract was updated to reflect the new release date. Meanwhile the dev team proceeded under the impression that they had a couple of extra months. Some months later LucasArts went back on the agreement (most likely due to financial issues of their own) and held Obsidian to the original contract and demanded that the game be released in Q4 2004. Forcing Obsidian to scramble and make of lot of cuts to ensure the game could ship.
And as it turned out, they didn't cut enough.

Really if there's consistent problem with Obsidian games, it's that they're too ambitious for their capabilities as a development studio. And you don't point the blaming finger at the management for that, but at the project leads. If you look at all the stuff that was planned for KotORII, I honestly doubt they could have managed that even if they had the extra couple of months.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OldMemes posted:

New Vegas did it so well - a mix of actual voice actors and C and D list character actors really works better than a few expensive A-listers. If you want celebrity voice actors, it's better to go a bit more niche, but with people who will give a stand out performance.

Voice directors are a big part of it. Professional voice actors are good at their job (which is, you know, why they do it as a job) but they rely on directors who know what the character is supposed to sound like and can get the best performance out of someone.

Bethesda gets good actors outside of their huge celebrity appearances, but they tend to waste them by making them all do the exact same voice for all their different characters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Even with the content restore mod I was always so confused by KOTOR2. Like, Kreia would make some veiled threat and fry Bao-Dur. I'd go to the ship, Bao-Dur would be fine. I'd get a cutscene where HK got annoyed with T3 and shot him. T3 would have no ill effects. Never knew if this was the mod putting in lost scenes at random or what.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raygereio posted:

But the fact that all his big reveals happened over on RPGCodex makes it just suspect as that place worships Avellone (because they don't realize other people have worked on Planescape Tormet) and it carried a hateboner for OEI even before Avellone left because OEI employs "females & SJWs".

Could you expand more on this aspect? How deep and widespread is the rot?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Never knew if this was the mod putting in lost scenes at random or what.
It probably was if you played with TSLRCM. In some cases scenes were cut before an accompanying follow-up and/or introductory scene that would have given it the necessary context was voiced, or even written. TSLRCM kind of fell into the feature creep trap and restored everything they could, without much regard for how all of the uncut stuff would impact the flow of the story.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

chitoryu12 posted:

Voice directors are a big part of it. Professional voice actors are good at their job (which is, you know, why they do it as a job) but they rely on directors who know what the character is supposed to sound like and can get the best performance out of someone.

Bethesda gets good actors outside of their huge celebrity appearances, but they tend to waste them by making them all do the exact same voice for all their different characters.

FNV had great voice direction apart from one particular character.

Mean Sonofabitch. The super mutant with a speech impediment.

Whoever interpreted the line "I protec my bown, Wesibe" and had the guy say it phonetically should be retroactively fired.

"I protect my town, Westside." It's pronounced "my bone, wes-ee-bay". :sigh:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Mean Sonofabitch. The super mutant with a speech impediment.

Whoever interpreted the line "I protec my bown, Wesibe" and had the guy say it phonetically should be retroactively fired.

"I protect my town, Westside." It's pronounced "my bone, wes-ee-bay". :sigh:

Mean Sonofabitch also says something like "I'm sure glad Mean Sonofabitch is on our side," just like every other Westside citizen who isn't him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sunny Smiles :geno:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeathChicken posted:

Even with the content restore mod I was always so confused by KOTOR2. Like, Kreia would make some veiled threat and fry Bao-Dur. I'd go to the ship, Bao-Dur would be fine. I'd get a cutscene where HK got annoyed with T3 and shot him. T3 would have no ill effects. Never knew if this was the mod putting in lost scenes at random or what.

Those are explained if you complete the mod and gain proper influence with everybody. Kreia hates Bao-Dur because he's responsible for the Mass Shadow Generator, but more because she cannot read his thoughts, so she resorts to blinding him to her presence. She does the same thing to the Disciple.

HK wants to know why the navicomputer is locked. T3 locked it on Revan's orders to keep people from following him, so he zaps HK for asking questions. They have a back and forth where they harass each other but don't kill one another because they know each other.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Right I got that part, but these scenes came out of nowhere and then were never acknowledged again. You'd think your party members being electrocuted and shot would have ramification, but as soon as you returned to the ship it was like nothing had happened.

It would be like if you were playing New Vegas and suddenly got a cutscene at the Lucky 38 where Veronica beat the gently caress out of Cass. So you fast travel back there and both of them are giving their little quips, everything is fine.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 1, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

steinrokkan posted:

Sunny Smiles :geno:

Her too, and her actor does a bunch of other minor characters, like Elizabeth Kieran and that sketchy doctor in Novac, and none are as bad as Sunny so idk what happened there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DeathChicken posted:

Right I got that part, but these scenes came out of nowhere and then were never acknowledged again. You'd think your party members being electrocuted and shot would have ramification, but as soon as you returned to the ship it was like nothing had happened.

It would be like if you were playing New Vegas and suddenly got a cutscene at the Lucky 38 where Veronica beat the gently caress out of Cass. So you fast travel back there and both of them are giving their little quips, everything is fine.
Both KOTORs made liberal use of omniscient perspective in keeping with the storytelling techniques of the Star Wars movies (whatever the relative merits of those techniques). A lot of games have segments where the player witnesses something their character isn’t participating in or even observing, usually having to do with the villains and their plans. The KOTORs had more than most (many of which are short scenes and punchlines eg B4D4’s liberation) and that’s why they were sort of hailed as the beginnings of a new sort of “cinematic” CRPG. Even as BioWare mostly tightened their focus going forward, not taking the “camera” outside of player character perspective outside of big act breaks in Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Games like Alpha Protocol never leave the PC’s perspective at all.

The asides with Kreia and T3 are only there to illustrate what you know but the Exile doesn’t - that Kreia is actively plotting / pulling strings, and that T3 actually knows more than anyone else about what’s happening in the setting writ large, but almost everyone doesn’t think to realize it, and he’ll never tell if they do.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 1, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

"Cheyenne, stay."

And this hot on the heels of Matthew Perry's flat-as-gently caress performance for Benny.

A few actors hit it out of the loving park in FNV, I'll give you that. Doc Mitchell, Veronica, Tabitha... there are some great bits in FNV. But a lot of the voice acting is pretty sketchy. The NCR troopers, Boone, most of the ghouls.

Sunny Smiles just sticks with me as particularly bad since she's one of the first characters you speak to, and she gives one of the least convincing performances of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It is odd since as said, she does the doctor in Novac too and that's a pretty decent job of a quack who barely knows what she's doing.