Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

They just uploaded last night's promos and the Juice/Naito stuff is an absolute must-see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAE-uWQnQn4

I really hope Juice pulls out the upset tonight, I can't bear to see my flamboyant friend hurt like this :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Another early work shift for me :( so just quick predictions before I hit the sack

Toru Yano [0] vs. Kota Ibushi [4] -- At first I thought this would be the best comedy match of the tournament, but Serious Yano has really added a new wrinkle to things. It will be a great match either way! As always, YTR can pull off an upset from anywhere, but I think Kota continues his winning streak.

SANADA [2] vs. Zack Sabre Jr [2] -- SANADA will get his wins, but in such a stacked block I have a hard time finding them. Bold prediction: This is where we see the Zack Driver for the first time in a block match.

Juice Robinson [0] vs. Tetsuya Naito [2] -- Juice is on goddamn fire as an underdog babyface right now, and all the pieces are in place for him to pull off a stunner and knock off Naito. The story is simple but extremely effective -- Juice is down on his luck, frustrated with the losses and the broken hand. Naito took advantage of that weakness, targeting the hand in their tag match the previous night. With everything working against him, this is where Juice really digs deep down and I think the crowd will be molten-hot. And while I won't be totally surprised if Naito wins -- having him go down 1-2 is a bold move -- you gotta pull the trigger here, no?

Kenny Omega [4] vs. Tama Tonga [2] -- So uh, is the bloom already off the Firing Squad? The San Francisco angle was great, but they've since followed it up with underwhelming matches and interference bullshit that people are already tired of. Tama still isn't shining as a singles wrestler, and if Kenny can't get something special out of him, then I really don't know. I'll stick with my pre-tournament prediction and say Tama wins (with the complete opposite of a clean finish) to set up the Long Beach title match.

Hirooki Goto [2] vs. Tomohiro Ishii [2] -- People are sleeping on this match and they really shouldn't. These two have always torn it up when they're in the ring together, and they'll have the extra motivation of a Korakuen main event spot. Goto's specialty, aside from "always loses the big one," is making people go from "I'm not really interested in this match" to "holy poo poo that match was awesome." And you know Ishii will bring it like he always does. Get excited for some Mean Thicc Guys action!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

People are sleeping on this match and they really shouldn't.
They really shouldn't. I mean I don't usually care much about Goto, but this pairing makes me unironically say "dis gon' be good!"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

G1 Climax Night 6
7/21 5:30am Eastern/2:30am Pacific

Michael Elgin and Ren Narita vs. CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI and SHO)
A rare face vs face match, with both veterans of each team being completely unlikeable and replaceable faces! So let's look at their partners instead! Ren Narita has been gaining more experience here than he could during the normal season for NJPW, and has had the opportunity to tangle with some of the best in the company. That can only be good for his growth, and as scuzzy as he is, Big Mike is useful to help rack up some early career wins. SHO being separated from YOH, who will probably die tonight a brave yet futile death, in a way is getting experience as a singles by having new partners and facing new opponents outside of his usual weight class. If he does decide to go the solo route, based on his past record thus far, I don't think he has a terrible shot in his division. If I had to make a choice, I think we see Mike and Narita nab a win over CHAOS.

L.I.J (EVIL and BUSHI) vs. The Firing Squad (Bad Luck Fale and Tanga Loa
Normally, I don't take size into equation when it comes to NJPW, but this match, you can't overlook it. This is a bad draw of the straws for LIJ, and hopefully with Red Shoes putting the Tongans in their place, they might have a chance, but I think it's just a given that BUSHI is going to take a big ride here.

CHAOS (Jay White and YOH) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and El Desperado)
YOH, I like you. I think you're a future main eventer. Really. I care about your well being. The most important and smartest thing you could do here is just run away. Leave. You'll lose the match, you'll be fined, your CHAOS buddies might be irritated with you causing them a loss, but look at the long term here: you have no friends in this match. It's three on one. You have two hateful people across from you that don't want to kill you, but want to kill the hope and love inside you as they torture you, and you have an abuser who only wants to use you for his own gains for a partner. SHO is not here to help you. Rocky can only watch on. He's watching. He'll understand. Just say no, YOH. Just run away. There is nothing for you in this matchup.

Hiroshi Tanahashi and David FInlay vs. Bullet Club Elite (Hangman Page and Chase Owens)
Page has to be hurting pretty bad, and Owens didn't fair too well last night either. Going to say the goof troop of Tanahashi and Finlay pull it off here. Good night to be a babyface I think.

Togi Makabe and Toa Henare vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Gedo)
Wild Men and Rain Makin Men! Okada's losing streak has been snapped, and that momentum can only carry him upwards! Look for Okada Dollars to fall after this one.

G1 Climax Block B Match:Toru Yano [0] vs. Kota Ibushi [4]
This has potential to be match of the night, and no, I'm not being facetious. Both excel in mat grappling AND comedy. Expect one hell of a story to be told here. Ibushi isn't known for his intelligence, and Yano has been referred to by some as the Einstein of The Wrestling Arts, so I'm gonna say the genius picks up the victory in this bout.

G1 Climax Block B Match:SANADA [2] vs. Zack Sabre Jr [2]
This is going to be a fun stretchy match. Both excel in submissions, and this is an interaction we don't get to see often, which makes it a nice treat of the G1. Expect Zack to have the edge in this contest and tap out SANADA.

G1 Climax Block B Match:Juice Robinson [0] vs. Tetsuya Naito [2]
Robinson is the United States champion, but he's already suffered two losses! He's gotta right this ship quick, or he's gonna have a real busy fall with all of these potential challengers. Naito is one of the most dangerous guys to be facing in this match, so it's just an uphill battle for Juice. I'd love to see him get a win here, but I think it's gonna go Naito's way here.

G1 Climax Block B Match:Kenny Omega [4] vs. Tama Tonga [2]
We have the leader of the Golden Elite vs the leader of the Firing Squad, in a way this is a match that has been built to for weeks now since the explosion at the Cow Palace. This should be a bitter personal affair, and I think the IWGP Heavyweight Champion will pull it off.

G1 Climax Block B Match:Hirooki Goto [2] vs. Tomohiro Ishii [2]
Both of these men have been long term NEVER champions before, and personify the style by which the belt has come to represent. This match will be a hard hitting possibly bloody affair. Both men want this win, and this is a toss up. I'm going to go the safe route and say the incumbent wins here and takes two points over Ishii.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, Kenny vs Goto was very good but not 5 stars good. It didn't have the build and story that a true 5 star match requires.
Yeah, to my mind, their G1 final was an obviously better match.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I'm finally caught up (for a whole 2 hours), and I made notes from last night's show:
  • YOSHI-HASHI needs a shirt that reads "I'm the guy who sucks" on the front, over his face, and has "plus I got depression" on the back.
  • I was legit scared for Kevin Kelly for a moment when Suzuki playfully offered to choke him out
  • Okada needs to be the first one to buy the aforementioned YOSHI-HASHI t-shirt

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm seriously considering staying up for this card. This has been my first G1 with New Japan World and it's been awesome having so much wrestling to watch

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benne posted:

They just uploaded last night's promos and the Juice/Naito stuff is an absolute must-see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAE-uWQnQn4

Finlay is right.

My boy Juice is going to do it and he's going to get his confidence back and then he's going to beat everyone else and win the G1!!!!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Elgin's promos are as long winded and circular as his wrestling. At least he didn't go on a spiel about his wife and kid today.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I love Juice, and I love this story he's going through now. It would be sweet if he had to defend the belt like 5-6 times because of all the losses he picks up this G1, to subsequently dish all those L's back to everyone who challenges him once he's back to 100% post-G1.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Now that I'm finally caught up in time to possibly fall asleep in the middle of the undercard tag matches, I'd just like to say

I breathe with the Switchblade

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I almost caught up. Yesterday was another predictably good day of wrestling. The pop for Unno DQing Fale was amazing. Switchblade & Elgin was fun. But Page really did come out of his match with Okada like a star. They both did a really good job.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
"EVIL was lurking in the shadow, but now strikes" is a really weird sentence for one of your babyfaces/tweeners.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tanga Loa spent too much time in the WWE system it seems

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carlioo posted:

"EVIL was lurking in the shadow, but now strikes" is a really weird sentence for one of your babyfaces/tweeners.

It would be very weird if the KING OF DARKNESS did not lurk in the shadows. That's like where all the darkness is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who is this Harry Potter nerd and what has he done with Jango? :mad:

KAZE NI NARE!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jay takes one kick to the leg and immediately books it.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Rarity posted:

Who is this Harry Potter nerd and what has he done with Jango? :mad:

KAZE NI NARE!

Chris Charlton, guy who wrote books on history of NJPW and the wrestling evens in the Tokyo Dome. Jango is probably off do bulk up some, so he can stand up to Suzuki.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Suzuki is gonna murder Knife Pervert tomorrow and it's gonna be glorious

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jay gonna bait Suzuki all the way to 8 points

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Switchblade and Suzuki have great chemistry. Their match tomorrow should be really good.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Jay White has somehow made Suzuki-gun the faces in this match, and I am all in on this course of action.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Jay's performance here is absolutely masterful, I legitimately cannot wait for tomorrow

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Jay White has somehow made Suzuki-gun the faces in this match, and I am all in on this course of action.

Suzuki might be a sadist, but he's no coward.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Yohei Komatsu shoulda listened to Jay in the first place and taken that drat chair. None of this would have happened if he did

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Best undercard tag match of this tour by far.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Haha drat, I'm super excited for tomorrow now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hangman's music is so dang good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Go ACE

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

tana is having so much fun in this match :shobon:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

That was a bad camera angle for the finish.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tanahashi and Hangman worked well together. Tomorrow has strong potential to be the best A-Block show. Makabe/Okada should be really good too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Probably could have pinned him after that lariat, good god

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This Okada has a strange energy

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Just got home from workout, anything did I miss anything worthwh-

TriffTshngo posted:

Jay's performance here is absolutely masterful, I legitimately cannot wait for tomorrow
I guess I'll give that a look.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gedos busted rear end selling

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

It just occured to me that Henare's 'Haka into a fistdrop' is somewhat of a combo of Rock and Cena moves, "The People's 5 Knuckle Shuffle"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kazu status: still broken

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Motn incoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo holy poo poo I have time to watch this before the wedding :woop: What have I missed?

• Locked thread