Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They wrote themselves into a corner because they're loving idiots and the modern day stuff that gets unlocked for flavor could have simply been put into codex entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

From the start Data definitely responded to things in ways that indicated some level of emotion; maybe not in the same way as a human, but it was there. I think the more interesting question would have been if he actually "experienced" anything or was only following programming.

It would have been funny if he 100% did experience emotions the whole time and just thought something was wrong because he didn't go into long bouts of incapacitating maniacal laughter at the slightest joke the way the emotion chip made him, but the writers weren't that smart with his writing.

I mean, is it any different when a human experiences an emotion? Hormones are released due to stimuli, and we have an emotion in response. Doesn't seem that different than a program running due to stimuli.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Counselor Troi would have noticed if Data had emotions. She was pretty surprised when his daughter spontaneously started having them.
:goonsay:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite things about Assassin's Creed 3 are how it's set in Revolutionary America so there's nothing to climb, leading to a Ubisoft Map Tower just being some flagpole on a small hill, and how the ending of the game boils down to Desmond not really paying attention to the game's themes and killing himself to pick the Templar ending (so the series can continue because they wrote themselves into a stupid corner).

Also because the map is uncovered by distance and not by zone, this is the one game where syncing all viewpoints does not uncover the whole map, you have to walk to the undiscovered zones for a challenge (they're a slightly darker blue on the blue-on-blue map).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you kill an animal and then don’t skin it you desynchronize because your Native American ancestor used every part of the squirrel.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Araenna posted:

I mean, is it any different when a human experiences an emotion? Hormones are released due to stimuli, and we have an emotion in response. Doesn't seem that different than a program running due to stimuli.

Hell, in a very (very, very) abstract way that's already kinda sorta how machine learning already works today. Based on some metric you provide the AI with either positive or negative feedback depending on what it's doing, to get it to develop towards a certain result. Layer a sci-fi level of sophistication and personality on top of that, and the positive feedback might reasonably be described as "happiness", and the negative feedback as "sadness".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

blazing saddles is still hilarious

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

blazing saddles is still hilarious

Showed it to two friends of mine who had never seen it yesterday and there is literally not a wasted scene. They loved it

On the downside I think Seth McFarlane stole like half the jokes from it wholesale for family guy watching it again

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The jokes being recycled a million times does weaken its impact.

I can't even imagine what it was like seeing it when it new first came out. People must have been rolling in the aisles.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, a lot of the jokes were just adult versions of Warner Brothers cartoon jokes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The scene where he takes himself hostage and suddenly the town goes from wanting to murder him to being desperately worried about his survival will never get old

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

fruit on the bottom posted:

The scene where he takes himself hostage and suddenly the town goes from wanting to murder him to being desperately worried about his survival will never get old

Isn't anybody gonna help that poor man!?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Are we awake?

I don't know. Are we black?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean, a lot of the jokes were just adult versions of Warner Brothers cartoon jokes.

Candygram for Mongo!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Dressing up as Klan members.

“Look, it’s coming off.”

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite things about Assassin's Creed 3 are how it's set in Revolutionary America so there's nothing to climb, leading to a Ubisoft Map Tower just being some flagpole on a small hill, and how the ending of the game boils down to Desmond not really paying attention to the game's themes and killing himself to pick the Templar ending (so the series can continue because they wrote themselves into a stupid corner).

AC3 also has the most boring main protagonist who also suffers greatly from "you do stupid poo poo in the cutscenes because we have no idea how to otherwise throw you into this next setpiece". The guy is literally outwitted by an illiterate muscle-for-hire, and is later completely stumped on the idea of actually *assassinating* someone who is within three feet from him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Der Kyhe posted:

AC3 also has the most boring main protagonist who also suffers greatly from "you do stupid poo poo in the cutscenes because we have no idea how to otherwise throw you into this next setpiece". The guy is literally outwitted by an illiterate muscle-for-hire, and is later completely stumped on the idea of actually *assassinating* someone who is within three feet from him.
To be fair, the game isn’t shy about pointing out how Connor is being incredibly stupid about letting people manipulate him by taking advantage of his personal vendetta and how in the end he created a “free” country propped up by slavery and taking advantage of others and how disillusioned he is by the entire thing

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Der Kyhe posted:

I honestly never thought they'd make a worse character than Altaďr, who was barely a character at all, but Connor was the loving pits. He's not just boring, but he's also almost intentionally stupid for most of the game. It's really infuriating. They shoved Aveline into a portable game that nobody wanted to play, and gave the completely unlikable character the big console release.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, the game isn’t shy about pointing out how Connor is being incredibly stupid about letting people manipulate him by taking advantage of his personal vendetta and how in the end he created a “free” country propped up by slavery and taking advantage of others and how disillusioned he is by the entire thing

I've said this before and know that it is probably impossible to write a cooler protagonist than Ezio, but when he showed up people on the wrong side of the stick ended up dead. Immediately.

The guy probably killed more than the Black plague, and took over a Vatican to administrate a beating to the most powerful man on the planet at that point. Because he wanted to.

Connor gets more concussions than the newspaper-Spiderman. And on similarly stupid reasons.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I honestly never thought they'd make a worse character than Altaďr, who was barely a character at all, but Connor was the loving pits. He's not just boring, but he's also almost intentionally stupid for most of the game. It's really infuriating. They shoved Aveline into a portable game that nobody wanted to play, and gave the completely unlikable character the big console release.

Altaďr has the excuse of being the first game of the franchise, which was more or less a tech demo on this cool new premises they had designed. But yeah, he isn't much of a character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

I've said this before and know that it is probably impossible to write a cooler protagonist than Ezio, but when he showed up people on the wrong side of the stick ended up dead. Immediately.

The guy probably killed more than the Black plague, and took over a Vatican to administrate a beating to the most powerful man on the planet at that point. Because he wanted to.

Connor gets more concussions than the newspaper-Spiderman. And on similarly stupid reasons.

It doesn’t help that the prologue player character/villain of the game is competent and way, way cooler than Connor is. You get to do a cool theater assassination and then... 1700’s gym class while the game re-tutorials you for a few hours.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Der Kyhe posted:

Edward in Black Flag was good too, but I think a lot of that has to do with giving him his own selfish motivations that have nothing to do with the Assassins/Templars

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edward in Black Flag was good too, but I think a lot of that has to do with giving him his own selfish motivations that have nothing to do with the Assassins/Templars

I also liked Shaun from the AC: Rogue but that was more or less because the American assassins were a collection of asshats, who had no problem nuking a country because of "free will" and stuff. I hated his catch-phrase thoug;. "I'LLL MAKE ME OWN LUCK" well no you fuckhead, you were shot and abandoned for dead and relied the whole time on other people and organizations beyond you.

I know that it is a retcon, but no wonder why Connor became such an hot mess of an assassin. After all, he was tutored by someone who tough that essentially nuking a metropolis of 7 million people was an acceptable loss, because of "personal freedoms". Or gassing civilians, and such small stuff. And who was so great at personal combat that he lost his kneecaps. Not exactly a forward-thinking or subtle person.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I've always argued that Black Flag is a really good game, but not a very good Assassin's Creed game. There's literally nothing in the game that links him to the Assassin's until everything almost over, and even then he initially rejects it, and they reject him when he thinks he's ready to accept it.

It's weird to me that they arguably had 2 POC player characters in the main series up until recently, and they were both boring dumbasses who had no control over their own destinies. Aveliene got shoved into a portable game nobody wanted, and Adéwalé was only playable in an expansion, but they were decent characters that just didn't get the spotlight. Even Bayek isn't great, even though he's forging his own path. He's just so obsessed with revenge (much like Connor) that it makes his story kind of stupid. Aya was a more interesting character than him, I wish I could've played as her for more of the game.

I also feel bad that I never remember Connor's birth name right, and whenever I look it up it has way more than I remember it having. I wish they had used it for more of the game than they did.

e: I really liked Rogue because it sort of followed through from the twist at the beginning of 3, and really showed that the Assassins are big stupid idiots sometimes, too. I could not tell you a single thing about the protagonist outside of him being Irish, though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I've always argued that Black Flag is a really good game, but not a very good Assassin's Creed game. There's literally nothing in the game that links him to the Assassin's until everything almost over, and even then he initially rejects it, and they reject him when he thinks he's ready to accept it.

Its partly because it originally wasn't an AC game, but the AC3 wasn't exactly a winner in terms of the AC2 trilogy, so they had to cook up something fast. Weirdly, it turned out to be one of the better ones.

Low lands. Lowlands awaaayyiit. :D

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

I remember laughing at how the cutscene presents that too. IIRC it goes from him talking about freedom to watching a slave auction with the slaves in cages. "Oh."

quote:

I bring it up everytime AC's plot stuff is mentioned but Edward's is the best because the whole plot of Black Flag is about Ed trying desperately to escape the plot of Assassin's Creed, only to tragically fail.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The twins in Syndicate were the most entertaining for me because of how they interacted with each other. Doesn't hurt that, if you get annoyed with one, you could always switch to the other.

They were also characterized well through their actions and animations. Evie has a reputation for being psychotic of a reason. More broken limbs than Wei Shen with that one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

OutOfPrint posted:

The twins in Syndicate were the most entertaining for me because of how they interacted with each other. Doesn't hurt that, if you get annoyed with one, you could always switch to the other.

They were also characterized well through their actions and animations. Evie has a reputation for being psychotic of a reason. More broken limbs than Wei Shen with that one.

Her finishers with any of the blades weapons would straight up be decapitations or neck to groin disembowelment

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I had waited on getting a modern console, and I ended up playing Unity and Syndicate really close together. I wish I hadn't because I feel like I missed out on the fun experience on finishing Syndicate by forcing myself to finish Unity first. I like Jacob and Evie, though. Arno can go screw.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Local pirate informed selling out the good guys makes you seem like kind of a jerk, spends the rest of the game begrudgingly making things right when he just wants to get paid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the closer, Brenda Johnson loves to tell people going to jail they’re going to be raped by other inmates.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I watched a :doink: last night where a guy pled to a lesser charge and the judge makes him swear he wasn't coerced into pleading and everyone smiles at the happy ending, five seconds after Barba and Benson tell him that if he didn't take the deal they'd ruin him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

In the closer, Brenda Johnson loves to tell people going to jail they’re going to be raped by other inmates.

In every police procedural they do that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

In every police procedural they do that.

Which by itself is very wrong on every possible level... besides in the Great Nation of Zimba--- USA!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's weird that some times L&O tries to take a stand about prison rape, but then has no problem completely flip flopping and making threats and jokes on the subject.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Choco1980 posted:

It's weird that some times L&O tries to take a stand about prison rape, but then has no problem completely flip flopping and making threats and jokes on the subject.

It's almost like different episodes have different writers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Early svu episodes have some pretty terrible attitudes toward trans people, even as vanilla experimented (clumsily) with having sympathetic trans characters of the week sometimes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I might have mentioned it before, but the Simpsons making a joke of how the Trump presidency left America bankrupt hits too close to home.

RBA Starblade posted:

I remember laughing at how the cutscene presents that too. IIRC it goes from him talking about freedom to watching a slave auction with the slaves in cages. "Oh."

Also his home village gets driven off their land/massacred after the game. And a lot of his characterization beyond "angry muscle man" was cut from the game so the guy gets screwed over from all sides.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

The game also portrays the founding fathers as assholes. It's kinda funny how the trailers portrayed the game as "americans beats the filthy oppressing brits" and then the game turned out to be a lot more nuanced than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

The game also portrays the founding fathers as assholes. It's kinda funny how the trailers portrayed the game as "americans beats the filthy oppressing brits" and then the game turned out to be a lot more nuanced than that.

The game is made by French people, iirc.