Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Do they have a name for this series of tests just past where Southern Hemisphere teams visited Eng/Sco/Ire/Fra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I think you're confused. The games just passed were the Northern Hemisphere teams touring the South (eg Ireland in Oz). These are usually called the Summer Tests, or Mid Year Tests.

The Southern teams tour the North around November. Those are called the Autumn or End of Year tests.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Oh! For some reason, I thought they were paying up north. Thanks.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Yamada absolutely clowned Folau there.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

henry pyrgos is taking the long arduous journey down the m8 to edinburgh. sad to see him go but he's too good to be third choice scrum half tbf, and should fit in with the gunners style of play.

he is being replaced at glasgow by some aussie called nick frisby who used to play for the reds. is he any good?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

HappyCamperGL posted:

henry pyrgos is taking the long arduous journey down the m8 to edinburgh. sad to see him go but he's too good to be third choice scrum half tbf, and should fit in with the gunners style of play.

he is being replaced at glasgow by some aussie called nick frisby who used to play for the reds. is he any good?

Not particularly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Not particularly.

The prefect replacement for Henry Pyrgos then.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Strange move, I guess at least he's available during the international windows.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

The prefect replacement for Henry Pyrgos then.

He’s a perfectly respectable to good club level player and a good guy to give Price a kick up the arse on the fairly regular occasions he decides to play bad

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

He’s a perfectly respectable to good club level player and a good guy to give Price a kick up the arse on the fairly regular occasions he decides to play bad

He's broadly fine but I do not see the point in shuffling players between Edinburgh and Glasgow and not promoting young players into those 2nd and 3rd tier picks for positions. Sean Kennedy and Nathan Fowles are both good players who could do with some more game time. I just don't get why the SRU are spending money shuffling second string players from Glasgow to Edinburgh again.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Sam Warburton has retired from rugby at 29. Repeated injuries seem to have taken their toll on him.
Thankfully Wales seem to have plenty of 7s to replace him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pretty sad to see that he had to retire an excellent player for Wales and the Lions.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

:rip: Sam Warburton

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
An incredible player, and seems like a thoroughly decent person. I'm sure he has a lot of good work ahead of him.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Judging from the vague and positive praises I’ve seen on social media, I actually presumed he was dead.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've lost count of the number of times I’ve heard “I never rated him before but he was loving outstanding today” in relation to the breadman.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

bessantj posted:

I've lost count of the number of times I’ve heard “I never rated him before but he was loving outstanding today” in relation to the breadman.

Never rated him as an opposition player but he was an outstanding Lion, real old fashioned inspirational leader and it's sad to see him go.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Everyone should be watching the Chiefs / Hurricanes. This has been great so far.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Although that was a loving atrocious call.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

And that was pretty bullshit.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Too many intercepts, boys.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Why do referees hate the Chiefs so much?

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Faark.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That was loving stupid.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
If only they had got it together a bit earlier. Bugger.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well I was stuck working so I can’t say if the Chiefs were robbed or not. Anyways we lost so I’m happy to own up to my toxx. I’m away for work at the moment so if anyone can search it, I’d appreciate it, I’ll pay it out tonight.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

loving Waratahs can't even stay consistent between two halves let alone two games. The lions are gonna gently caress us up bad.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Attendance at the QFs looks a bit alarming

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

slothrop posted:

:toxx: I'll join you on this one. Also relying on this thread to remind me/keep me honest when we inevitably don't win.

So I was in Brisbane for work, and saw a guy wearing a Chiefs jersey. I got all excited and shouted Go the Chiefs!, he ignored me.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Guinness Pro 14 Details

The Pro 14 went from complete radio silence to “lots of promotion” this morning, in order to officially confirm a lot of things that were already scaring away supporters. There are no Canadian teams, no worldwide season, and the South African teams still can't take part in the Heineken Cup.

-

Conferences & Fixtures

The biggest change is that all matches now take place on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons. This was a massive point of contention for many supporters, and along with the changes to broadcasting, is likely to create a massive generational turnover in supporters, making the league more accessible to some, and completely inaccessible to others.

The conference system remains in place, with the conference participants unchanged.. How the teams in Conference A agreed to this is a complete mystery, but the Pro 14 insist that there will be a review at the end of the season, after we all watch another exciting Leinster vs Scarlets final.

This year's Leinster vs Scarlets final will be held in Murrayfield!

The final week of the regular season will once again conclude with two Welsh derby games back to back at Principality Stadium, as well as every other team playing their local rivals.

Full fixture list is here :
https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

-

Broadcasting

All 152 games will air on the subscription-based TV network Premier Sports. Both the TV network and online streaming service are £9.99 a month.

Over 100 of the games will also air on Eir Sport (this used to be Setanta Sports Ireland), which is available for free in Irish households who subscribe to the company's TV, Internet or Phone products.

One game per week will aslo be shown on S4C, exclusively in Welsh.

Select games involving Leinster, Munster and Connacht will also air on TG4, exclusively in Gaelic.

Rugbypass will not be broadcasting the Pro 14.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good to see the Pro14 is just going to shoot it's viewer base straight in the face for a quick buck.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

One game on S4C? Fucker :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like 1 bad game a week is on Freesports

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The broadcast rights for me pretty much mean I won't be watching club rugby this year. It's just too expensive to get the only deal I can to watch the Irish games.

The short term cash injection might work, but I just have to hope this won't cause problems for fan investment and gaining new fans down the line.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mrenda posted:

The short term cash injection might work, but I just have to hope this won't cause problems for fan investment and gaining new fans down the line.

The ARU is the poster child of "horrendous short term planning backfiring in the long term".
This is one of their favorite decisions.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Back to the bad old days when it was on Setanta. I know the move onto free TV here correlated with Ulster's rise in popularity and I think a move back onto paid TV could, along with everything else that has happened, lead to the crowds going back down to what they were 10 years ago.

I won't be paying for Premier sports, I'll get to as many live games as I can but gently caress off if I'm paying a tenner a month for Zebre vs the Dragons and highlights of Swedish motocross .

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, zebre v dragons will be the games on free channels

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gordon Langkilde has been arrested and the Welsh players seem intent on going forward with criminal proceedings.

From the Telegraph

quote:

The Wales players attacked at the Rugby World Cup Sevens plan to take criminal proceedings against Gordon Langkilde “all the way” after the Samoan was arrested and charged with assault.

Langkilde remains in custody in the USA and San Francisco Police confirmed he has been charged with aggravated assault and battery causing serious bodily injury.

The 22-year-old is accused of assaulting two Welsh players after the clash between the sides at AT&T Park on Saturday afternoon erupted into violence at the final whistle. Wales won the game 24-19 thanks to a golden point try scored by Tom Williams, but as the two teams departed the field and went into the tunnel, things are alleged to have turned sour.

San Francisco Police confirmed Langkilde is accused of assaulting two Wales players, a 26-year-old who suffered facial injuries and a 21-year-old who has broken facial bones.

A third victim, a 24-year-old from Wales, also suffered facial injuries during the incident. It is understood the Wales players are Williams, Luke Morgan, and Ben Roach. Williams was left covered in blood by the incident and is believed to have had his nose and cheek bone broken.

Morgan was also knocked to the floor while Roach was punched in the face and suffered a nasty cut below the eye which required stitches.

He was seen sporting a bandage to protect the wound as the World Cup action continued following the unsavoury incident on Sunday. Langkilde was suspended by Samoa for the World Cup’s final day on Sunday, but was then later arrested at his team’s hotel at 1.15pm on the same afternoon. It is understood Wales’ players are determined to pursue the matter.

“The boys want to take this all the way,” a Wales source said. “There was nothing in the game which suggested this sort of thing might happen so it came out of nowhere."

San Francisco Police’s investigation remains ongoing and it remains unclear what punishment awaits Langkilde both from a criminal and rugby perspective. Asked to provide an update, World Rugby stayed tight-lipped and refused to add their original statement which was issued soon after the incident took place.

The statement read: “We can confirm a Samoa player has been provisionally suspended from Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018 following an initial investigation into an alleged incident in the tunnel area after a match between Samoa and Wales at AT&T Park on Saturday.

“The alleged behaviour is not aligned with the sport's values and the excellent spirit in which this competition has been played by the 40 participating teams. “World Rugby has instigated an investigation and the Samoa player will remain provisionally suspended until the final conclusion of that process."

Pretty shocking behaviour especially considering the game had nothing in it to suggest that this level of violence could be an outcome.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Gordon Langkilde has been arrested and the Welsh players seem intent on going forward with criminal proceedings.

From the Telegraph

Pretty shocking behaviour especially considering the game had nothing in it to suggest that this level of violence could be an outcome.

Chat poo poo, get banged?

In all seriousness, that's pretty nuts and like you said, there wasn't any sort of niggle during the game that might have led to something like that afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think if someone had said something to set it off then the Welsh players wouldn't pursue it. No Welsh player is going to say "yeah, I called his wife a horse faced bitch then he broke my face." well Alex Cuthbert might have. But if someone had said something then we'd know about it, Welsh rugby is such a goldfish bowl someone would have gotten the word out by now and the WRU would have suspended the player.