Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

dogstile posted:

I can be local for you bby

I'm not an alcoholic i swear

Obligatory this is a joke chill out because i hosed up a joke earlier and now i'm paranoid that i'm not funny today but i'm still gonna loving try

If you anywhere near Portland my company has the same beers in fridge everyone has 1-2 at 3-4. We also have a kegerator, snacks, and take what you need PTO. And we are hiring and I have a post about all the jobs in the SC/SH job fair.

Edit: This is a horrible shilly page snipe but I don't have time to add content right now as I need to leave to go to my awesome job.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

vas0line posted:

A developer walked up today and asked me to help them connect an Android tablet they were using for testing to one of the hidden SSID's in the office.
Instead of doing it for them, I googled for "connect android to hidden ssid", clicked on the third link, and repeated the instructions aloud while the developer followed along.

A software developer.
Who probably makes $95k/year.

I swear to god when people come to work they turn their brains off. Like, what do they do at home when their TV won't turn on?

If you are in helpdesk, the fact they are too lazy to google things is why you have a job.
I like people being happy and non-google-savvy (dumb) and comfortable coming to me with issues so they never realize they don't actually need me.

I've done helpdesk for 20 years (sanity is for the weak) and the only thing that matters to me if my co-workers are assholes or not and if my managers have a brain, or are Dilbert style managers.

I look over from my lowly helpdesk at the guys on the network/systems team and their bigger paychecks and note that I am much less stressed out and also importantly not in the on-call rotation.

If you are not in helpdesk why are you dealing with this, sent it to the suckers who's job it is to hold peoples hands.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Loanarn posted:

If you anywhere near Portland my company has the same beers in fridge everyone has 1-2 at 3-4. We also have a kegerator, snacks, and take what you need PTO. And we are hiring and I have a post about all the jobs in the SC/SH job fair.

Edit: This is a horrible shilly page snipe but I don't have time to add content right now as I need to leave to go to my awesome job.

Hey, why are you not in the Oregoons Slack? (Or are you just under another name?)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hostile user calls us useless because we don't do data recovery on personal computers. Next day, follows up and tells us we need to do a better job maintaining our computers because his starts beeping every day at noon. Send someone to his office to check on the computer and he demands that they come back at noon so they can hear what's happening. Our guy looks around the computer and quickly finds the problem: he has an alarm clock behind the computer that he forgot about.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GWBBQ posted:

Hostile user calls us useless because we don't do data recovery on personal computers. Next day, follows up and tells us we need to do a better job maintaining our computers because his starts beeping every day at noon. Send someone to his office to check on the computer and he demands that they come back at noon so they can hear what's happening. Our guy looks around the computer and quickly finds the problem: he has an alarm clock behind the computer that he forgot about.

I'll take having to babysit dba's and sysadmins over doing the end user bs any day of the week. Getting paid 50% more is just icing...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kalas posted:

If you are in helpdesk, the fact they are too lazy to google things is why you have a job.
I like people being happy and non-google-savvy (dumb) and comfortable coming to me with issues so they never realize they don't actually need me.

I've done helpdesk for 20 years (sanity is for the weak) and the only thing that matters to me if my co-workers are assholes or not and if my managers have a brain, or are Dilbert style managers.

I look over from my lowly helpdesk at the guys on the network/systems team and their bigger paychecks and note that I am much less stressed out and also importantly not in the on-call rotation.

If you are not in helpdesk why are you dealing with this, sent it to the suckers who's job it is to hold peoples hands.

it's come up before, but google is a skill. knowing how to do a search that will come up with the relevant info isn't something everyone can do, and it's part of why it fields so many off the wall questions.

try getting someone to google their own issues sometime and watch the weird poo poo they find.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

it's come up before, but google is a skill. knowing how to do a search that will come up with the relevant info isn't something everyone can do, and it's part of why it fields so many off the wall questions.

try getting someone to google their own issues sometime and watch the weird poo poo they find.

A fun exercise is trying to find the name of some of the lesser known Pokemon by describing the picture to Google. No reverse image lookups and this obviously doesn't work if you know them all, but it's kind of a neat way to practice search terms, especially by getting rid of more generic terms to narrow down your results.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Loanarn posted:

I'm actually in the UK and i'm probably too lazy to actually work with the clever people here who have unwittingly allowed me to fake my career for the past 5 years.

But thank you <3

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why just today?

Your mum laughs at my jokes grumble grumble gently caress i'm owned

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, CEO of the company is pissed because our cloud-based embedded Win10 Pro digital signage occasionally pops up Windows Update things in the middle of the screen.

There's no sensitive stuff on these things whatsoever, but they need the internet for digital signage updates. What's the latest guide for 100% preventing all Windows Updates? All the stuff I'm finding online is out of date (i.e. setting a WSUS server to a fake IP doesn't work, it'll still seek out the Microsoft servers). Can I set a HOSTS files to loopback all of microsoft.com? Or does it try to use static IPs? Anything to get rid of these loving update popups.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

OK, CEO of the company is pissed because our cloud-based embedded Win10 Pro digital signage occasionally pops up Windows Update things in the middle of the screen.

There's no sensitive stuff on these things whatsoever, but they need the internet for digital signage updates. What's the latest guide for 100% preventing all Windows Updates? All the stuff I'm finding online is out of date (i.e. setting a WSUS server to a fake IP doesn't work, it'll still seek out the Microsoft servers). Can I set a HOSTS files to loopback all of microsoft.com? Or does it try to use static IPs? Anything to get rid of these loving update popups.

Any chance you could put on a deny-all firewall and whitelist your company's update servers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have not actually read this article before, but skimmed it and it seems thorough.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/swisspfe/2018/04/13/win10-updates-store-gpos-dualscandisabled-sup-wsus/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Any chance you could put on a deny-all firewall and whitelist your company's update servers?

Well, now that I think about it I'm having the same issue with embedded Zoom conference room NUCs, which also don't need security updates, but those reach out to all sorts of IPs. So I think blacklisting Microsoft Updates would be the way to go, vs trying to whitelist everything else.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Only method I know of that actually 100% works is making the computer part of a domain and setting updates to domain admin managed in GP.

I would love to disable updates on my home PCs but everything I've tried has failed so far.

e: Blacklisting Microsoft doesn't work. We have several timeclock tablets that are not domain managed and are set to blacklist everything except the timeclock website that still update themselves regularly. Always at the worst possible times.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 20, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

PremiumSupport posted:

Only method I know of that actually 100% works is making the computer part of a domain and setting updates to domain admin managed in GP.

I would love to disable updates on my home PCs but everything I've tried has failed so far.

e: Blacklisting Microsoft doesn't work. We have several timeclock tablets that are not domain managed and are set to blacklist everything except the timeclock website that still update themselves regularly. Always at the worst possible times.

You could try to get Windows to think it's unlicensed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PremiumSupport posted:

They're probably grabbing updates from something else they can talk to on the network? Peer downloads or whatever they call it. Unless they can't talk to anything else then I dunno, network/windows gremlins.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

disable the wuauserv service in Windows Services manager

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zero VGS posted:

We had a similar problem at our old company - we used Intel PC sticks for in-office digital signage and patching them was a biiiiiiiiiiiitch.

the correct answer - and the one we ended up going with - was to figure out a way to patch the machines properly. Even if they are only connecting to the internet for digital signage updates, that's still connecting to one of your corporate networks and whether it is segmented off into its own purgatory or not, denying updates is only going to come back to bite you later on. Set up WSUS or SCCM, define your maintenance windows for out-of-hours, test your solution, and make sure it works.

Or get something like a Chromebit or AirTame or one of the other digital signage vendors out there that let you do something similar without the overhead of a full windows OS which is really the best option if you can spring for the money.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

kensei posted:

Hey, why are you not in the Oregoons Slack? (Or are you just under another name?)

This is the first time Ive heard of it. I got called out at work by a fellow goon so I know we have at least 1 more here. I do go on drives in my Skyline with some AI goons a couple times a month.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Loanarn posted:

This is the first time Ive heard of it. I got called out at work by a fellow goon so I know we have at least 1 more here. I do go on drives in my Skyline with some AI goons a couple times a month.

I'll message you a link when I'm back, I'm phone posting now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Elizabethan Error posted:

It absolutely turns itself back on, we've tried that.

The Fool posted:

I have not actually read this article before, but skimmed it and it seems thorough.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/swisspfe/2018/04/13/win10-updates-store-gpos-dualscandisabled-sup-wsus/

This might be the solution, particularly the GPO ""Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update"

I think when we tell it to only get updates from the (fake) WSUS, it uses Dual Scan to ask Windows Update if it has any updates as well, so hopefully by setting every GPO in that technet, it should stick to the WSUS exclusively. Only one way to find out...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

It absolutely turns itself back on, we've tried that.

This might be the solution, particularly the GPO ""Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update"

I think when we tell it to only get updates from the (fake) WSUS, it uses Dual Scan to ask Windows Update if it has any updates as well, so hopefully by setting every GPO in that technet, it should stick to the WSUS exclusively. Only one way to find out...

Yeah, I found that article googling for the GPO to disable DualScan. I've seen a lot of people get frustrated by that feature, especially around feature update season.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Elizabethan Error posted:

Doesn't necessarily work. I have a Win10 home laptop that I keep meaning to wipe and I've done that and everything else to try prevent it but it still manages to update somehow. In the end I just messed with the power settings so the power button on the case just shuts it down and ignores the updates. Way better than trying to pull out the battery when turning it off on a plane.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Is it just me or does calling to verify identity seem like a fine way to do it?

Not when you're the sysadmin who also gets 100% of all helpdesk crap because his boss just doesn't have the time or inclination to look over contractor resumes.

I am in the :yotj: process. A great company culture only goes so far if you can't stand the work you do.

devmd01 posted:

A ticket came in this morning: “work order notifications are not being delivered to technicians from ServiceNow.” Kind of a big deal for us since our main business application is built in servicenow, and we are a service provider type organization.

Due to an “administrative error” aka I hope someone got fired today, our data center provider somehow managed to kill the dns records for their domain. This had some rather unpleasant side effects as we host our external dns with them (in six different datacenters), however when your own domain whois records point to ns1-6.provider.com....

Oddly enough servicenow was the only application that reported issues, it queried and cached a bad response while they had dns hosed up. Time to export the zones to csv and write a little script to import them into Azure DNS!

Does your provider's name rhyme with "ingredient" because I'm getting "we hosed up our DNS" incident alert emails from our cloud backup service provider.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're using Windows in kiosk-type applications then LTSB is the edition designed for this.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
a member of the facilities team sauntered over, muttered in a near whisper "can you help me out with my personal machine? i have to get some documents over to my landlord i cant bring it here the battery is toast my sister helped me blablahblablahhh..." I'm idle and he's a good dude, so why not

I sat down at his workstation, resolved his issue, returned to my cube

whats that smell

Every few seconds I catch a whiff of what I believe to be "turned" mayonnaise

I can't pinpoint the source

I have two and a half hours left in my shift

gently caress me

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MJP posted:

Does your provider's name rhyme with "ingredient" because I'm getting "we hosed up our DNS" incident alert emails from our cloud backup service provider.

Bingo! Not for long lol, we are getting the hell out of there in the next 7-8 months. This isn’t the first “administrative error” to cause a critical service outage for sure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drukqs posted:

a member of the facilities team sauntered over, muttered in a near whisper "can you help me out with my personal machine? i have to get some documents over to my landlord i cant bring it here the battery is toast my sister helped me blablahblablahhh..." I'm idle and he's a good dude, so why not

I sat down at his workstation, resolved his issue, returned to my cube

whats that smell

Every few seconds I catch a whiff of what I believe to be "turned" mayonnaise

I can't pinpoint the source

I have two and a half hours left in my shift

gently caress me

Did you sit in mayonnaise?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

blackswordca posted:

I'll take having to babysit dba's and sysadmins over doing the end user bs any day of the week. Getting paid 50% more is just icing...
We're a small enough department that our sysadmin was the one who took that call :laugh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Installed an Avaya phone system today that was shipped up to us "pre-programmed" by the company that was contracting us. "you just have to bring it to the client site and physically install it, it's all set up already", they said.
Lies.

The first warning sign came when I went to plug in the new digital phones and they came up with no user logged in. I call up the contractor, they tell me, "oh you can log them in with this short code we set up". Which isn't how you're supposed to do it all with digital sets (because they'll all have to be logged in again any time the phone system reboots). I get them to give me the password so I can actually look at the config. Sure enough, it looks like they were originally going to get IP phones and changed their mind at the last minute and never reprogrammed it for digital sets, so none of the users' extension numbers match the numbers actually assigned to the digital ports. Fine, I can fix it, I move the extensions over to the digital ports.

Then I go to test the auto attendant and get silence. Ok. I look through the pile of stuff they emailed us, and sure enough they sent us the wav files to upload. Not that they mentioned this in the install checklist. Why didn't they do it themselves before they shipped the "pre-programmed" system to us? :iiam:

Fine. I go to convert and upload the files, and the Avaya LVM utility chokes on them. They're not encoded in the right wav format. Then I actually listen to the wavs and look at the script and it doesn't match the actual AA programming at all. I ended up re-recording and programming the AA from scratch by myself.

Finally I get all their phones and lines cut over, everything's testing fine. I unplug the power for the old Meridian system... and I hear crackle from overhead. Yup. There's a paging speaker on the old system that they have nothing programmed for and didn't ship the transformer you'd need to hook it up to an analog port on the new system. Yet another call to the contractor, oops, they say, we're going to have to go back later to fix that. In the meantime, I set them up so they can page through speakerphone. Finally I get the OK to leave.

20 minutes later while I'm having my lunch, I get a call back from the contractor, saying they can't remotely access the system, and am I sure I plugged into the right LAN port, etc. I bring up a saved copy of the config, and it turns out they had programmed the wrong address and subnet mask on the LAN port, and also didn't have an IP route set up. So I had to go back to the site to change the address and reboot it.

Back to the shop.

Another 20 minutes later the contracter calls again. Am I sure it's hooked up to the lines right?? They're calling the main number and it's not ringing through to the new phone system!
I test calling their main number, and sure enough, it's not working. Which is weird because I'd tested it before I left, and I had phoned the client on their new phone system just a while ago to tell them I had to come back to change the address. I try a couple more times and then it starts working. I call the contractor back, and the tech admits that they accidentally broke it themselves just now because they had messed with the incoming call routes. It's all good now though!

I'm betting I get at least one more email by Monday about something else they hosed up or forgot to program in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phones - nope. I don't think there's an area where "this new thing must work exactly the same as the 30-year old obsolete system that was removed" is more prevalent.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Phones - nope. I don't think there's an area where "this new thing must work exactly the same as the 30-year old obsolete system that was removed" is more prevalent.

My company recently switched from Switchvox to Dialpad and oh boy I wish we did it years ago. They use/partner with Obihai desk phones and it's as brainlessly simple to provision as you could ask. I have talked non-tech people through setting them up remotely without wanting to hurt something.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Software engineers are some of the most computer illiterate people on the planet.

I'd always assumed all devs messed around with computers in their free time, but yeah this is probably true. I used to work with some dude who told me that, outside of work, he never used computers for fun. At all. He even preferred to not use them, period. :stare:

He also wrote fairly shoddy code in frameworks that everybody hated except him, but that's besides the point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Merijn posted:

I'd always assumed all devs messed around with computers in their free time, but yeah this is probably true. I used to work with some dude who told me that, outside of work, he never used computers for fun. At all. He even preferred to not use them, period. :stare:

He also wrote fairly shoddy code in frameworks that everybody hated except him, but that's besides the point.

my first admin job was at a dev house where half the devs were former admins. every last one of them told me not to trust devs to know anything, no matter what their background

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

Our new VOIP system does work pretty much the same way and it still throws people. They got trained and everything but they forget how to page or whatever. The process is the same on the new phones, and they swear they're doing exactly what they did on the old system but it doesn't work. Eventually you can get them to show you on the old phone how they did it, and at that point they realize they weren't doing the same thing as they used to. Everything just looks and feels a bit different. Not a knock on them, change is hard when you're used to something, but it always makes me laugh.

RFC2324 posted:

my first admin job was at a dev house where half the devs were former admins. every last one of them told me not to trust devs to know anything, no matter what their background

The thought process is always that since developers are good at one computer thing (coding), they must be good at other computer things. Not only does this not logically follow, but it presupposes that the developers are, in fact, good at coding. I have known some tremendously lovely coders. I have some basic coding experience but I'm not very good at it; I'm still better than some of the people who have done it professionally for years.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

guppy posted:

The thought process is always that since developers are good at one computer thing (coding), they must be good at other computer things. Not only does this not logically follow, but it presupposes that the developers are, in fact, good at coding. I have known some tremendously lovely coders. I have some basic coding experience but I'm not very good at it; I'm still better than some of the people who have done it professionally for years.

not only that, but it was pointed out that devs use a different thought process than admins, and it's not a good process for doing admin stuff, as well as the same type of concerns that mean the infosec team shouldn't be part of it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Assuming a Dev is good with using a computer is like assuming an aeronautical engineer is a good pilot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Assuming a Dev is good with using a computer is like assuming an aeronautical engineer is a good pilot.

I suppose, but you should know basic poo poo like changing your password or going "huh, what a weird rogue process in task manager" or "i probably shouldn't click on the link that says Download on this email I got called 'giecio' "

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

I dunno, would you trust a mechanic that couldn’t drive?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Johnny Aztec posted:

I dunno, would you trust a mechanic that couldn’t drive?

if he understood how the car worked, why not?

I'd guess you would be surprised how many mechanics are out there with no drivers license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

if he understood how the car worked, why not?

I'd guess you would be surprised how many mechanics are out there with no drivers license.

Yes, but how many of them don't have a history of DUIs?