Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So I got this bottle at the hong kong duty free a few months. It has been gathering dust in my liquor cabinet but guys, imagine a negroni with this. Or something else? Thougths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds fun. See if it'll Last Word or Ramos Gin Fizz. Post pics.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

I've had great results making a punch out of limecello and strawberry shrub, seltzer, and some mint on the side for people to spank and put in their cup. It's fun and engaging. Only downside is that the green from the lime and the red from the shrub mixes into a gross rust color. This year I'm going to try for limoncello and raspberry shrub. It should make for a more appealing color, I'd hope for somewhat of a pink lemonade sort. I imagine the mint will still go with it. It's funny how giving people at a party an activity for their drink makes it more enticing.

Will report back after the weekend.

I made this way too lemony for most peoples tastes. Whoops. Also the color came out orange instead of pink, which, given how color mixing goes, makes sense. Still better than the gross brown color that red and green gives.

For all my complaints and flaws, it all went, so I guess it was fine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Anybody got a good recipe for aviations?

The card I have just comes out tasting like lemon juice that I dyed purple.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I prefer:

2 oz. gin
0.5 oz. maraschino
0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice
0.25 oz. creme de violette

Garnish with a homemade maraschino cherry if you have them. I recommend Rothman & Winter creme de violette. Creme Yvette is a fine product IME but not the same.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I prefer:

2 oz. gin
0.5 oz. maraschino

Garnish with a homemade maraschino cherry if you have them. I recommend Rothman & Winter creme de violette. Creme Yvette is a fine product IME but not the same.

That's pretty spot on for how I make mine. I've found a few recipes that did nearly equal parts of gin/maraschino/lemon and they just were too much like a sweet-tart.

also: I just gave myself brain-freeze for the first time in years from a daiquiri I was testing and I forgot how painful it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, and don't buy into any of this nonsense about a bar-spoon of maraschino or whatever. When did a spoonful of anything do anybody any good? If you want to take your drugs in tasty spoonfuls, just abuse Dimetapp.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's usually a barspoon of Violette, not marascino.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been asked to do three roaring 30's cocktails for a friend's 30th birthday party Saturday.

To make my life easier, I've decided on a southside, an aviation, and a sidecar. Good plan? Should I do something else?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bunnyofdoom posted:

I've been asked to do three roaring 30's cocktails for a friend's 30th birthday party Saturday.

To make my life easier, I've decided on a southside, an aviation, and a sidecar. Good plan? Should I do something else?

Drink-wise, there are probably more crowd-pleasing options than the Aviation; personally, I love a French 75. If you don't want to spring for bubbly, go for a Tom Collins.

Heads up, though: it's the '20s that were roaring. The '30s, not so much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Drink-wise, there are probably more crowd-pleasing options than the Aviation; personally, I love a French 75. If you don't want to spring for bubbly, go for a Tom Collins.

Heads up, though: it's the '20s that were roaring. The '30s, not so much.

I typoed cause it was my friend's 30th.

If I can get cheap sparkling wine, French 75. If not, Tom Collins, which is basically the south side but with lemon juice instead of lime, club soda, and no mint, so that's gonna be easy to make.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bunnyofdoom posted:

I typoed cause it was my friend's 30th.

I figured but wanted to make sure it was deliberate.

Something else that might streamline things is to replace the Southside with another lemon cocktail to avoid a situation where, say, people want sidecars but all you've got left is lime juice. On the other hand, if citrus is cheap enough where you live, just overstock both and find something else to do with the leftovers.

Also, think about doing a batched martini. It's make-ahead, so no extra effort during the party.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I figured but wanted to make sure it was deliberate.

Something else that might streamline things is to replace the Southside with another lemon cocktail to avoid a situation where, say, people want sidecars but all you've got left is lime juice. On the other hand, if citrus is cheap enough where you live, just overstock both and find something else to do with the leftovers.

Also, think about doing a batched martini. It's make-ahead, so no extra effort during the party.

Limes are currently on sale here for like $0.15 so, I may instead try two lime cocktails?

Or, your right, swap the south side with a pitcher of martinis (I'm thinking making them 2:1, but with lots of ice, because most people don't get how strong martinis really are these days)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Google says the Margarita was invented in 1938. Margarita, gimlet, brandy old fashioned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bacardis are underrated, especially if you have a good grenadine recipe.

(I've been experimenting with putting a little rose water in mine.)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Halloween Jack posted:

I prefer:

2 oz. gin
0.5 oz. maraschino

This worked pretty well for me, thanks!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Follow up: everyone loved the drinks. Bad news: my fiancé loved the french 75 so much that i need to keep bubbly in my cabinet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Martini glass with a coffee sipping lid so your ice won’t fall out while you drink

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Martini glass with a coffee sipping lid so your ice won’t fall out while you drink

Why does your martini have ice in it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ColHannibal posted:

Why does your martini have ice in it.

Only the best martinis are served on the rocks
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/898015707463643137?s=21

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Has anyone tried Field Gin? It was made to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the Field Museum in Chicago and incorporates 27 botanicals that were displayed at the 1893 World's Fair. That tickles me thematically, but I'm nowhere near Chicago, and it sounds like it's only being distributed locally.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Follow up: everyone loved the drinks. Bad news: my fiancé loved the french 75 so much that i need to keep bubbly in my cabinet.

Good work! The French 75 is one of my favorite cocktails, so I'm glad that was a hit. If you're looking for some variety, related and also great is the Airmail, which follows the same format as a French 75 but with rum, lime, and honey syrup. The Blur is basically a "Last Word Sbagliato" with equal parts green Chartreuse, maraschino, and lime juice, topped with bubbly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

27 botanicals is a loving lot and I'm not gonna be surprised if that gin is a hot mess.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
That's fair. I'll admit that my interest is 100% because of the gimmick.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If I liked pineapple more I would totally do this:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/07/fresh-pineapple-syrup.html

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You can use that technique with pretty much anything. I’ve done it with figs, stone fruits, berries, celery, kiwi, passionfruit, kumquats, etc. I wash and weigh the product and then let it all macerate with half its weight in sugar. Agitate it, throw it in the fridge overnight, mix it all up to make sure the sugar is dissolved, and fine strain. Add some vinegar or spirit to make a shrub or cordial to preserve it if you like. Then take the scraps and make a jam or mostarda or throw some booze on it to make an infusion.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

On a sort of related subject, has anyone here made tepache? Worth it? Tips/recipe?

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

The Hebug posted:

On a sort of related subject, has anyone here made tepache? Worth it? Tips/recipe?

I actually just made this last week. It was the first time, but it was super easy and turned out really nice- a lot sweeter than most kombucha I've had.

I would use the peel and core and just shop around some other recipes now that I've tried it once. The recipe I used (https://www.fermentedfoodlab.com/pineapple-tepache/) called for chunks and I didn't think about it until reading some comments after I'd put it together. I also used an extra clove from what they call for and could have done with more

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What kind of / brand of sherry do y’all use in your Martini riffs?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fino is the easiest/most logical 1:1 sub in for dry vermouth. Palo cortado can work too, but its aromatics are sweeter and IMO it's closer to blanc/bianco vermouth.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
I'm sick of Dolin. I've always wanted to try Carpano Antica, but you can't get the small bottles in New Zealand and the big ones are priced outrageously, like sixty bucks. I've never managed to get through more than half of a 700ml bottle of Dolin before I had to start deglazing pans with it so it seems like a colossal waste.

I came across Carpano Classico, which is apparently a "toned down" version of the Antica. It's about half the price. I think it might be new and there's not much discussion about it online. Anyone tried it?

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 20, 2018

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Hebug posted:

My wife makes tepache regularly, and it's amazing. The easiest thing to do getting started is just watch the Bon Appetit video on it, and basically just copy that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcoYLVFCKg

gently caress with the peppers you use for sure, and make sure you're using enough ginger. You don't have to use peppers, but gently caress, do habaneros turn it into something special.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone mentioned a great limoncello recipe a little earlier. I can’t find it. Please could someone repost?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Someone mentioned a great limoncello recipe a little earlier. I can’t find it. Please could someone repost?

Isn't every limoncello recipe just "peel around ten lemons, throw the peels, pith-less, into a bottle of 100-proof vodka, then mix with simple syrup after a couple weeks"? I'm super down to read a good specific recipe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Some people like that recipe where you actually suspend the lemons in a cheesecloth bag over top of the vodka.

This is the recipe I use:

Zest 10 lemons because you want ALL THAT CITRUS OIL SON

Put them in some vodka or grain alcohol for about a month

Remove the zest and strain the vodka through cheesecloth. Strain it through cheesecloth again.

Make a simple syrup with the zest. Strain it through cheesecloth. Strain it through cheesecloth again.

How much syrup you make depends on the strength of the vodka you used and how strong you want the finished product. If you use several layers of cheesecloth and strain thoroughly you will get a well-blended limoncello with little or no sediment.

The hardest part is learning how to tightly rubber-band several small pieces of cheesecloth around the top of a mason jar.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm in the middle of infusing some limoncello now; I've never had it click that I could just use the zest again in the simple syrup, so I'm going to have to do that. I might throw in some rhubarb too, just to round out the tartness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't use anything overproof because I share this with my in-laws. I've even made the syrup with Truvia for health reasons.

Luksusowa is the only vodka you will ever need; thank you and goodnight.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I do zest of 10-12 lemons per bottle of 190 proof for 3-7 days. I don't reuse the zest for the syrup, but I do pour the syrup over the zest that's sitting in the coffee filtered colander. After 7 days the lemon zest is ghostly white, I didn't think I'd get anything more out of them.

Sorry I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I use a light syrup, 2:1 to 3:1 (depending on how I feel) of water to sugar. And I try to use a volume that would bring the total down to ~35% abv.

I made a batch for the week long family reunion I'm at right now, one handle of grain alcohol makes a gallon or so, and it went quickly even though I'm not happy with how it turned out. I got the request for limoncello just a few days before I left, and I decided to try and overzest it, using 20 lemons instead. There is such a thing as it being too lemony. It had an uncomfortable bite to it. It also didn't sit and mellow at all.

I've done probably 20 batches of limoncello, 10 batches of lime, and 5 orange and 5 grapefruit. I really should do the orange and grapefruit more because they are awesome.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Reading through Alchemy I'm a Glass, and watching cocktail chemistry on YouTube, I'd like to make some of my own syrups
Does anyone have preferred containers they use? And toppers?
Amazon is a +

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thoht posted:

It's probably just old. I had a bottle of chartreuse for a number of years and kept it in the freezer. Eventually it started to have little dark green particles floating in it. Still tasted perfectly fine.

Sometimes I jump around through the backlog of this thread just looking around for cocktail ideas and I noticed this today. Should I be keeping green chartreuse (or in my case Genepy since I'm cheap) in the fridge/freezer instead of out at room temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
not if you're drinking enough last words