Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I'm not entirely sure where the PS3's processing power is compared to the 360 (and it's probably not a big difference regardless), all I know from a friend who programmed videogames at the time is that the PS3 was more of a pain to code for because with the SDK's of that era (I think this was around 2008-2009?) you had to explicitly tell each core what to do, whereas the 360 SDK would compile intelligently to make the most out of each core.

The bigger differences were in terms of storage, both the fact that games weren't size-limited to 6.8 (later 7.8) gigs, and the fact that from the get-go every PS3 was required to have a hard drive and games could install data. I guess you can also add the fact that there wasn't an effective size limit on patch size on PS3, nor did you have a cut a five-figure flat fee cheque to pay for patches after the first one. The data install was a pretty big deal, too, since from like 2012 onwards quite a few major games started to require at least a USB key to install data to, and in some cases mandated an official internal Microsoft hard drive which also happened to be stupidly overpriced.

The PS3's design is overall slower. It's also more complicated on top of that. And it's a bigger pain to bring multiplat games too on top of that.

This all combines in pretty dire ways for multiplat games that were already not too good, it's why Sonic 06 is noticeably much worse on the PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

TheScott2K posted:

I could absolutely see Sony getting cocky and greedy after running the table like after PS2

It's possible. But unlike previous gens, the next generation systems will likely have virtually identical stats (something along the lines of AMD Ryzen CPU, 16GB GDDR5, 2TB HDD w/ SSD 'Pro' option) so the price difference will be minimal. Microsoft playing catchup might still undercut PS5's price by a fraction.

What will be interesting to see is whether Microsoft releases their system a year before the PS5 like they did with the 360 to make back ground on Sony's established PS2 lead (resulting in a lead but also the red rings of death).

Edit: I think we'll see Xbox V (the One X is the 4th box you see :v:) in 2020 and PS5 in 2021

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 20, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd be really surprised if Sony or even MS pulled another huge blunder of a system next gen. It seems pretty crystal clear that the price point needs to be around 400 and gimmicks don't sell consoles. I think it could either way again at the drop of a hat (although Sony is so far in the lead it's hard to imagine MS catching up) due to a variety of factors, but I don't think it's going to be because of a PS3/Xbone style gently caress up that is built of hubris.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The new race will be to who will put out a compelling exclusive that's worth buying a console for first.

Remember the first one (on ps4) didn't come out until about a year and a half after release.

I can't imagine they'll let the price difference/hardware specs differ so much again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think Backwards Compatibility could be a bit more of a deciding factor here, at the very least the PS5 would need to run anything that currently works on a PS4.

People have drawn their lines in the sand a bit more permanently this generation so it would take something pretty significant to get people to defect.

Anyway even if the PS5 is horrendous compared to Xbox One Two, it'll still outsell Xbox by at least 3:1 outside of the US and Xbox will still be where the spiders live in Japanese electronics stores.

Ineffiable posted:

Remember the first one (on ps4) didn't come out until about a year and a half after release.

I've said it before but I suspect true exclusives on the newer consoles will be a rarer thing. A game that runs at 4K30 or 4K60 on the new consoles is bound to be trivially configurable to run at like 900p30 on the PS4/XB1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS5 could probably get by in the lean early months of the console cycle just by selling 60fps remasters of all the good poo poo that already exists on PS4.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah that's a good thing to consider.
This is the first generations where digital games have seriously been on the rise and bought in by the customers. Every game is basically available digitally and there's a lot more indie games especially great ones.

It didn't really take off until halfway through the last generation and only ps+ free games were available for a few years at the end of ps3. It took a while for full digital games to be available and even then not even game is available digitally. Sales on the digital store is less common.

Now we've got free games with the subscriptions basically from the start of the console generations and, along with backwards compatibility and digital sales, will help people stay locked in to one console from generation to generation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don’t think the “remaster” thing is gonna fly for another gen like it did with this one. It’s not even as prevalent as people make it out to be right now. We are still getting like 95% new games.

The next gen absolutely needs to be BC or I’m done with consoles.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah much like I didn't bother with Nintendo's VC after they wanted me to buy all the same games again, if people expect me to want to buy remasters again for another system they're high.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I really don’t think the “remaster” thing is gonna fly for another gen like it did with this one. It’s not even as prevalent as people make it out to be right now. We are still getting like 95% new games.

The next gen absolutely needs to be BC or I’m done with consoles.

Well Xbox is gonna be bc so you'll have that.

And I can't see remasters flying over well when Xbox shows off 4k remasters of Xbox og and Xbox 360 games. They'll be able to do that with Xbox one games on the next console.

Honestly I think the smartest thing Xbox has said this generation is 'we're gonna work on you keeping your gaming library going forward. Anything you can play on Xbox one, games or accessories, will work going forward.'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't wait to see what excuses people come up with to defend doing anything besides what Microsoft is doing with their remasters.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What are you talking about. Charging $40 for an updated Burnout Paradise resolution.ini was totally justified.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It probably doesn't matter that not as many people are into remasters, they're cheap and easy to do so not many people even need to buy it to make a buck on it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lambert posted:

What are you talking about. Charging $40 for an updated Burnout Paradise resolution.ini was totally justified.

Hey hey they added tire smoke too I'll have you know!

(that easily could be in a regular patch to update the game though)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Burnout probably also had the online part updated to actually work again. It's a good example of how a remake of a game should be done, not a bad one, imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plus those who don't want the new smoke and resolution bump can just play the 360 version on their Xbone for like $4 at GameStop

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Making everyone rebuy all of their current gen games seems nuts to me, I have no hard evidence that the general public would be as adverse to it as I am, but I think there has been a culture shift since the last gen that would make no BC really piss people off, way more than it did this time around. And there was a sort of valid reason with it for PS4. There won't be with PS5.

I think if MS announced full BC (they almost certainly will) it would be pretty bad for Sony if they didn't so the same. I still think they could do something in the realm of remasters. Like, an updated "PS5 version" of a PS4 game as a small DLC fee, but only if the original PS4 version is still playable on PS5. Also, total remakes are cool but those take actual effort.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless they change their mind, Microsoft's plan is for every xbox one game to work on whatever next console they make.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I found out Xbone Zero was fully BC and PS5 wasn't I'd be so mad cause I bought almost everything on PS4 this gen lol.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Microsoft already announced guarenteed backwards compatibility: they released the Xbonx. It's got a pretty different physical architecture including the removal of the infamous wrong kind of ram which is pretty big design change, but it plays all the xbone games. The next Microsoft generation is just going to be an XXX BONE XXX coming out that plays all the games of the previous xbone and xbonx, but now games are coming out that won't run on plain xbone anymore - just xbonx and enhanced stuff on the xxx bone xxx.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

If I found out Xbone Zero was fully BC and PS5 wasn't I'd be so mad cause I bought almost everything on PS4 this gen lol.

The bet I made was buying all my multiplatform titles on the Xbone because I think they have the highest likelihood of being BC next gen. Sony is still pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about the whole business model of treating consoles like special purpose computers while Microsoft is pretty all-in on that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

The next Microsoft generation is just going to be an XXX BONE XXX coming out that plays all the games of the previous xbone and xbonx, but now games are coming out that won't run on plain xbone anymore - just xbonx and enhanced stuff on the xxx bone xxx.

This is how I'm imagining/hoping the next gen works. Well, I guess it's guaranteed with Xbox, but Sony remains to be seen. Not including it just seems like something Sony would randomly do, but I think Xbox is still a big enough competitor that Sony would be incredibly stupid to try and pull that.

I'm really just imagining that in the future that consoles will be more like phones, only on a more infrequent release schedule.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sony is going pretty hard into this "we're number 1, so gently caress off" attitude that I could see them not doing backwards compatibility with the PS5 and losing it all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You guys are nuts

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I for one would love to see a second push of Playstation branded designer housewares. It was one of the most WTF reveals I had ever seen.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
No one gives a poo poo about backwards compatibility. People don't throw away their old consoles when a new one comes out.

The only reason MS leans so hard into it is because they have gently caress all games worth playing on their current console.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's correct except most people do throw away there old consoles because they stop giving a poo poo as soon as a new one comes out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That's correct except most people do throw away there old consoles because they stop giving a poo poo as soon as a new one comes out.

More specifically, they resell or trade in to help pay for the newer console.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fortunately if you DO care about backwards compatability, there is indeed a gaming platform out there with literal decades of titles to choose from, where the games you buy today will automatically look better 10 years from now without having to keep buying lazy remasters. Incredible, inspiring, amazing...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately if you DO care about backwards compatability, there is indeed a gaming platform out there with literal decades of titles to choose from, where the games you buy today will automatically look better 10 years from now without having to keep buying lazy remasters. Incredible, inspiring, amazing...

Yes but having to right click the nvidia icon and then left click "update now" is too much for some. They just wanna plop down and get to gaming right away!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I set up a minecraft realms server mostly for nintendo switch goons but I want to extend it to any Xbox goons that might still be playing minecraft.

You can message me at gt: Ineffiablefx

also made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863868

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 21, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a bitchin jetski posted:

No one gives a poo poo about backwards compatibility. People don't throw away their old consoles when a new one comes out.

The only reason MS leans so hard into it is because they have gently caress all games worth playing on their current console.

I once sat on a game stop line for an hour to pick up a preorder in like 2014 cause all the cashiers were busy liquidating separate customers 360 collections. Poor dudes probably offed themselves after e3 2015

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

a bitchin jetski posted:

I do. I don’t literally throw them out but I don’t want old consoles lying around. I don’t often feel the urge to play a last gen title but being able to just launch the ones available on Xbox is great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually love the backwards compatibility of Xbox One and appreciate it a ton. I was super happy to see Original Xbox games come to the system.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

a bitchin jetski posted:

People don't throw away their old consoles when a new one comes out.

Uh yeah they do. Most people don't build virginity shrines of old consoles and expensive video game statues/posters. I use my old console as a trade in toward my new one.

a bitchin jetski posted:

This part is true. The xbone subreddit filled with people excited about how much microsoft is investing in games. The bone has been out for 5 years, MS has been swearing up and down they're buying original IPs the entire time, and there's exactly jack poo poo to show for it, so excuse me if I don't jump all overmyself for the bone 2 when it comes out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

I actually love the backwards compatibility of Xbox One and appreciate it a ton. I was super happy to see Original Xbox games come to the system.

Yeah BC is good and there are a lot of good last-gen games.

It's a good thing, too, because this time around Microsoft doesn't have poo poo.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah like BC is cool and all but it doesn't excuse the severe lack of games that aren't available everywhere else. Or the delays or cancelations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I always get rid of old consoles but also don't care about bc. RDR in 4k sounded interesting though and maybe I'll play it once I get out of this airbnb.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I like to play my retro stuff on the original hardware, so BC on new systems (such as emulators) doesn't appeal to me, and it might only appeal to a small segment of modern gamers.

Now, BC of last gen on current gen is a different matter. I didn't think so before, BUT if a new console comes out, it usually has poo poo for games for a year or two. It would be nice to play the best last gen games that usually get skipped since a new console came out, and not only play them still, but maybe get a loading bump or a resolution bump in the process.

Is it enough to sway people when a new console comes out? I think some, maybe many, but at the end of the day, it's that magic factor (or gently caress ups) that lead to a console selling 10 times more than another. I mean, explain the Switch and PS4, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

Burnout probably also had the online part updated to actually work again. It's a good example of how a remake of a game should be done, not a bad one, imo.

It absolutely isn't. It's as low-effort and barebones as possible. "Getting the online part working" is the minimum expected effort, not what constitutes a good remaster. And it's still the same very clunky and infuriating online matchmaking system the original had, not the more modern system Most Wanted 2012 had.