Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
like comment subscribe if you teared up when the caballeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My running theory is still that the Spear of Selene is Scrooge's rocket.

Della was unaware at the time that Scrooge, cheapskate he is, only had enough fuel for a one way trip. Donald and Scrooge both think she's dead because she's been on the moon for years, when she's actually alive because there's a civilization on the moon, made up of another as-of-yet unused Disney Afternoon property.

When they go up to see her, we will hear a familiar theme.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 21, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Theory - Magica DeSpell is Della Duck and the Spear of Selene has something to do with it.

These seems like people are trying to tie two disparate threads together and I really hope it's not true. Especially because everything we know about Magica seems to contradict everything we know about Della.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm consistently surprised at how good this series is, and the preview for the season finale only makes me more pumped to see it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is Rockerduck

"John Rockerduck, owner of the Duckberg Duckerdome!"

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
gently caress YES! More of the Duck Universe people! I am ready!

Is this Rockerduck's first time on screen?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not Rockerquacker or Quackerfella?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not Rockerquacker or Quackerfella?

I know they're not going to change the name of a character who's been around since the '50s but it should have been John D. Rockerfeather and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know they're not going to change the name of a character who's been around since the '50s but it should have been John D. Rockerfeather and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Barks had some wins and losses on the duck pun column. Rockerfeather was right there! Dunno why he didn't take it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

kefkafloyd posted:

Barks had some wins and losses on the duck pun column. Rockerfeather was right there! Dunno why he didn't take it.

Well that is easy enough to guess.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senerio posted:

My running theory is still that the Spear of Selene is Scrooge's rocket.

Della was unaware at the time that Scrooge, cheapskate he is, only had enough fuel for a one way trip. Donald and Scrooge both think she's dead because she's been on the moon for years, when she's actually alive because there's a civilization on the moon, made up of another as-of-yet unused Disney Afternoon property.

When they go up to see her, we will hear a familiar theme.

I have no idea how I know this, but isn't this what happened to Della in the comics? Not that she's on the moon, but that she got lost in space?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have no idea how I know this, but isn't this what happened to Della in the comics? Not that she's on the moon, but that she got lost in space?

Yup, well at least in a relatively recent comic

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what I imagine Donald sounding like when I read him in the comics. He has a completely different voice in the comics compared to the cartoons.

Hmm. Maybe... Did anyone ever see Warren Beatty in Bugsy? :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
With Donald in the comics it's hard to describe but basically I read it as he still has some of the classic Donald voice, it's just a lot clearer than normal

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what I imagine Donald sounding like when I read him in the comics. He has a completely different voice in the comics compared to the cartoons.

Hmm. Maybe... Did anyone ever see Warren Beatty in Bugsy? :v:

Yeah I was really hoping they'd break from tradition and give him a new voice or at least tone it was down when I heard he was going to be in the reboot. It's not like he's been particularly prominent in pop culture in the past few decades.

Then again, classic Disney fans are crazy and would probably riot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Folt The Bolt posted:

Is this Rockerduck's first time on screen?

Yes

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

:getin: I'll be interested to see how his animated counterpart is since Rockerduck's main difference from Glomgold is that he's merely a rival for Scrooge in how loaded with cash and valuables they are, not a heartless villain.

Also really liking that we're going to get Fethry. And of course, The Three Caballeros means at least one Donald-centric episode in Season 2 which is hype!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Folt The Bolt posted:

:getin: I'll be interested to see how his animated counterpart is since Rockerduck's main difference from Glomgold is that he's merely a rival for Scrooge in how loaded with cash and valuables they are, not a heartless villain.

Also really liking that we're going to get Fethry. And of course, The Three Caballeros means at least one Donald-centric episode in Season 2 which is hype!

Yeah Rockerduck is a rival and competitor with Scrooge, and while they fight and get angry with each other, there is no real hate between the two. As well he does not really go on expeditions to get Treasure and primarily competes with Scrooge on business deals and money making plans. The two frequently wager and make competitions with each other who can make the most money in short periods of time and stuff like that. And then when Rockerduck loses he eats his hat in frustration.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Rockerduck is a rival and competitor with Scrooge, and while they fight and get angry with each other, there is no real hate between the two. As well he does not really go on expeditions to get Treasure and primarily competes with Scrooge on business deals and money making plans. The two frequently wager and make competitions with each other who can make the most money in short periods of time and stuff like that. And then when Rockerduck loses he eats his hat in frustration.

Imagine the following scenario: Scrooge is constructing a huge building and because it would earn him a lot of money, they each want to delay the process. Rockerduck would demand extra thorough building inspection from the city and later on, he'd do some seedier stuff like spying on the process, or trying to poach the workers, that's the extend of it. Gloomgold's first instinct would be to hire the Beagle Boys to throw dynamite around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the duck comic lore surrounding Della and immediate duck family members is very vague, rare and questionably canon, with Disney clearly not intending for much to be done with those family members. (A lot of it goes back, I think, to the 40s/50s idea of having to get around morally acceptable ideas of how to portray parents and families; uncles and nephews have a ton more leeway as to how they're presented and what they can get up to, especially with romantic interests and behaviour, than parents who'd be expected to be portrayed as faithful, responsible and generally hella boring.

And as for the current spoiler topic, Rockerduck is a bit notable in that he is more popular in the European comics than the American ones, swapped with Glomgold. There's an old argument that since old money is more common than new money in Europe, and vice versa in the USA, and all. It also means that they almost never appear in the same story or even in the same series; and in the one exception where Rockerduck and Glomgold teamed up (I think in an anniversary/finale event with nearly everyone showing up) they work together well at first but Rockerduck is soon uncomfortable with Glomgold having absolutely no scruples.

Makes me wonder if at some point we're going to have an episode with all the billionaires pitted against each other; Scrooge, Glomgold, Mark Beaks and Rockerduck. And wondering if Goldie O'Gilt might qualify, though she's clearly better at picking her battles.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

For all the great names in this show, Flintheart Glomgold has to be my favourite. Sure, it's apt for his character, but its also so fun to say.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Yay for everyone else appearing, but I groaned when I saw that they're bringing the Caveduck kid Bubba in. Seriously the worst part of the old show. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Conclusions posted:

Yay for everyone else appearing, but I groaned when I saw that they're bringing the Caveduck kid Bubba in. Seriously the worst part of the old show. :(

What about the reboot so far makes you think they won’t be able to find a way to vastly improve him and make him work?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the duck comic lore surrounding Della and immediate duck family members is very vague, rare and questionably canon, with Disney clearly not intending for much to be done with those family members. (A lot of it goes back, I think, to the 40s/50s idea of having to get around morally acceptable ideas of how to portray parents and families; uncles and nephews have a ton more leeway as to how they're presented and what they can get up to, especially with romantic interests and behaviour, than parents who'd be expected to be portrayed as faithful, responsible and generally hella boring.

And as for the current spoiler topic, Rockerduck is a bit notable in that he is more popular in the European comics than the American ones, swapped with Glomgold. There's an old argument that since old money is more common than new money in Europe, and vice versa in the USA, and all. It also means that they almost never appear in the same story or even in the same series; and in the one exception where Rockerduck and Glomgold teamed up (I think in an anniversary/finale event with nearly everyone showing up) they work together well at first but Rockerduck is soon uncomfortable with Glomgold having absolutely no scruples.

Makes me wonder if at some point we're going to have an episode with all the billionaires pitted against each other; Scrooge, Glomgold, Mark Beaks and Rockerduck. And wondering if Goldie O'Gilt might qualify, though she's clearly better at picking her battles.
Goldie is Scrooge's secret weapon and helps him win. For a massive payoff

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

Phylodox posted:

What about the reboot so far makes you think they won’t be able to find a way to vastly improve him and make him work?

I have faith they'll at least improve him from the original, but sometimes you just can't un-Scrappy that Doo.
Here's hoping I'm wrong!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I mean, they managed to give Doofus a funny gag in that episode he was in, and he was one of the worst characters from the original show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which is why I've always found it weird that Goofy was allowed to be a single dad. I'm not saying that's bad, in fact it's great! A Goofy movie is one of the best movies about fatherhood I've ever seen. It's just kind of strange that everyone else is Aunts and Uncles and then you have Goofy with an actual canonical child.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Which is why I've always found it weird that Goofy was allowed to be a single dad. I'm not saying that's bad, in fact it's great! A Goofy movie is one of the best movies about fatherhood I've ever seen. It's just kind of strange that everyone else is Aunts and Uncles and then you have Goofy with an actual canonical child.

There may be some massive Goof Comics universe that I'm unaware of, but I think Goofy was always a less well-defined character than the others. The current conception of the character probably owes more to his 90's portrayals than anything else in his 86 year history. He was just sort of the clumsy sidekick character in the early cartoons who didn't have the depth to even bother giving any sort of family. Later then they retooled him into this sort of "every man" character which was the first time they played with him having a son. I think he kind of disappeared for awhile beyond cameos before Goof Troop came in and more or less combined the old clumsy Goofy with the suburban father character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In the comics Goofy also just always had a nephew (http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Gilbert_Goof) - he did have an (or several) unnamed kids in his "everyman" shorts, but Max proper wasn't introduced until Goof Troop.

Donald and Mickey having canon "girlfriends" while Goofy didn't might also be a reason - like they didn't want to go into what Donald having a kid says about his relationship with Daisy.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, keyword is the 90s, Max didn't come along til then. (and maybe Goofy might have been portrayed as being married to Clarabelle Cow or someone at some point, it's obscure lore) At that point nobody cares about it anymore and you can have Talespin with a single mother among other things.

It's not always a bad thing; Spider-man came to mind as a character who being raised by his aunt and uncle wasn't necessary, but I think it emphasises how precious his family relationship is when he doesn't even have either of his birth parents in the picture. And they're kinda playing up in the new series how Donald was basically thrust into the role of single dad for three children at once and is barely coping.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mickey and Donald have long established girlfriends, with Daisy in particular being quite on-again-off-again, so nephews work better whilst permitting that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm gonna be real sad if Rockerduck isn't voiced by Wallace Shawn

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bleck posted:

I'm gonna be real sad if Rockerduck isn't voiced by Wallace Shawn

Why? That seems arbitrary. It's not like that person voiced him before. To be honest, I don't know that name anyway.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why? That seems arbitrary. It's not like that person voiced him before. To be honest, I don't know that name anyway.

INCONCEIVABLE!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know, I was thinking about it, and I would really like to see a Duck Tales take on the Universal Solvent / Black Knight stories. Mostly because this version of Gyro is exactly the kind of person who would invent something like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to seeing the most recent episode, the classic Webby doll was a nice touch. So are we going straight into the season finale from here or are there more episodes in between?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Finally got around to seeing the most recent episode, the classic Webby doll was a nice touch. So are we going straight into the season finale from here or are there more episodes in between?

Just going off the Comic Con trailer it looks like it's the Sky Pirates/Don Karnage episode first, and then the two-part finale.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's a pretty perfect voice for him if you heard it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What DuckTales character would Andre play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's a pretty perfect voice for him if you heard it.

I dunno, for some reason I hear Sam Rockwell. Then again, I’ve never read the comics, and am completely unfamiliar with the character.