Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Here's the teaser trailer for my new feature-length film, MUTE DATE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2EquFSj28

MUTE DATE is a near-future sci-fi drama about a man and a woman in the year 2020 going on a blind date in order to beta test a groundbreaking new technology that enables people to communicate telepathically. Over the course of the date, things go awry in a very Twilight Zone or Black Mirror sort of way. If either of those appeal to you, this film is definitely up your alley.

The film is almost entirely shot, we only have a couple shoot days left. The film takes place almost entirely in Prospect Park, in Brooklyn, NY.

I'm curious to hear what people think of the teaser. There's a lot about the film I don't want to give away yet; I'm trying to get people interested but still have them able to have an organic experience with it later. Hopefully the music, the actors, the shots, the vibe, the concept, is intriguing.

This is my fourth feature-length film. I've previously made Ramekin, Rehearsals, and Shredder. Ramekin is my most recent film and has been receiving a ton of great reviews, and has already won two awards. It will be at some festivals towards the end of the year, and we're still waiting to hear back from most of the ones we submitted it to. It's about a college girl who moves into her recently-deceased grandmother's apartment and is terrorized by a small porcelain cup. It's for kids and adults, kind of a Goosebumps or Are You Afraid Of The Dark vibe, mixed with some Wes Anderson, David Lynch, Michael Haneke. If you'd like to find out more about it, you can check out its page here: RAMEKIN (2018)

Anyway, looking forward to hear your thoughts on the MUTE DATE teaser! I'm very curious how the teaser plays for people who have no idea who I am and aren't already fans of my work. Thank you for reading and watching! And, if you have any questions about filmmaking or whatever else, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would not want to watch this movie based on this trailer.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

sebmojo posted:

I would not want to watch this movie based on this trailer.

Please elaborate! I'd love to hear why. What puts you off about it?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'll answer for myself, i share the same opinion. There's no hook. There's nothing to even vaguely hint at the movie being anything more than a camera silently following around an awkward couple. A teaser trailer is supposed to give you a small slice of one of the movies facets and hint at something more.
From what is shown in this teaser i'm not sure your actors have the chops to pull off a 90 minute body language only film. If it's not that and this is only the opening you might want to get a hint of it into the teaser.
You've got a scene where the guy was told 'look sullen!' 'ok now pensive... and for this one... 'anxious'. Maybe within the context of the film it'll read as much more complex and engaging but they're not great vertical slices to hook people with. If this really is just 90 minutes of body language then the acting really needs to be next level, and that play fight on the wall is not that.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 13, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also the beginning with its 23 seconds of titles and black doesn't help. People watching your trailer don't owe you their time.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

cubicle gangster posted:

I'll answer for myself, i share the same opinion. There's no hook. There's nothing to even vaguely hint at the movie being anything more than a camera silently following around an awkward couple. A teaser trailer is supposed to give you a small slice of one of the movies facets and hint at something more.
From what is shown in this teaser i'm not sure your actors have the chops to pull off a 90 minute body language only film. If it's not that and this is only the opening you might want to get a hint of it into the teaser.
You've got a scene where the guy was told 'look sullen!' 'ok now pensive... and for this one... 'anxious'. Maybe within the context of the film it'll read as much more complex and engaging but they're not great vertical slices to hook people with. If this really is just 90 minutes of body language then the acting really needs to be next level, and that play fight on the wall is not that.

sebmojo posted:

Also the beginning with its 23 seconds of titles and black doesn't help. People watching your trailer don't owe you their time.

This is really helpful, thank you both!

The actual film is full of dialogue: it's them communicating telepathically the entire time, and we hear their voices. Obviously that doesn't come through in this teaser trailer, and I didn't intend it to—I wanted to capture the film's overall mood aside from that. The full trailer will have dialogue, give the gist of the story, etc.

The response to the teaser trailer has been unanimously good among those who know about the project already, or have read the script, etc. The teaser was ultimately designed for them, to keep them salivating and whatnot, but I wanted to see how people who had no idea about the film would respond to it. I received very positive response via PM on here to the teaser trailer, from someone I didn't know and who had no prior knowledge of it or me. Then there's you both, who weren't into it, so I guess it's 2-1. Probably higher than that of course, because I'm sure there's people on here who took a look at the trailer and weren't into it and didn't feel like replying.

Anyway, this is really helpful, because it means I won't waste time and energy getting the teaser trailer seen by 'the masses'—I'll just do that with the full trailer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I guess that's about the kind of response I should have expected. Best of luck eh.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The thought of watching the movie that is a teaser for gives me actual physical pain, so if that's helpful then glad to be of service haha

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The issue I had is it seems the characters are finding way to amuse themselves that don't involve talking. But if they're talking telepathically, they would just be conducting themselves like normal people talking, without doing the work of moving their mouths.

Congrats on making so many feature films though, that's a monumental task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ccs posted:

The issue I had is it seems the characters are finding way to amuse themselves that don't involve talking. But if they're talking telepathically, they would just be conducting themselves like normal people talking, without doing the work of moving their mouths.

Congrats on making so many feature films though, that's a monumental task.

This is interesting, thank you! Not something I would have thought about people possibly taking away from it. Definitely intended the teaser to be more of a tone poem of sorts, not something expository. Something that transcends the literal goings on of the film and just depicts the vibe and setting. The them amusing themselves in ways that don't involve talking is a small section of the film, and happens for a reason. It's a meticulously crafted film that I was trying to show the beauty of without having to get into its literal aspects. Not any easy balance to strike, of course. Much easier to just create a traditional full trailer. When I do that one it'll likely go over a lot better.

• Locked thread