Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peanut President posted:

This loving town pisses me off so much. "Ahyuck we just wanted a nice little quiet town where it's a simple life and people can take it easy". YOU MOTHER FUCKERS ARE THE REASON EVERYTHING GOT hosed UP! ITS YOU'RE loving FAULT YOU GODDAMN SONS OF BITCHES

They all love to vote, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

and generally speaking, jokes aside, american citizens who don't have NYT, WaPo, or Atlantic OpEd columns really loving hate nazis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnvXAkMnx8

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

It'll be fascism. Americans are weak, fragmented, and have no history of meaningful rebellion compared to other peoples.

People being angry or in pain means nothing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The military is nearly 100% chuds and its tbhe army that determines which way the nation goes during a crisis of government. It'll take a civil war to dislodge them and the left isn't organized enough to pull it off (because they've bought into weak anarchist decentralization stuff, which will just straight up lose against a strict chain of command) or strong enough. America will become a failed state.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

waiting for a crash to drive down prices IS crazy. don't try to time the market and don't view your home as an investment. if the prices NOW make sense for you to buy vs. rent, then buy now. anywhere that was worthwhile living only saw prices stagnate for a bit before continuing upwards. as long as you're not buying into a mega-suburb development that's only 10% built or something insane like that you'll be fine

Prices here do not make sense to buy in my opinion. If that doesn't change I'll leave. The median household income in the town I live in is somewhere around $60-70k. Median house price is $380k. Something has to give eventually.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rudatron posted:

America will become a failed state.

Hello, poster in the distant past! It turns out Y2K isn't actually a thing! Exploit this knowledge to your advantage! Oh, also buy Magic: The Gathering cards from the Alpha, Beta, Unlimited and Revised sets, specifically the funny-looking lands.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Americans are weak, fragmented, and have no history of meaningful rebellion compared to other peoples.

People being angry or in pain means nothing.
This is bullshit. Maybe this generation feels that way, but if you look back over just the past hundred years, you'll see how wrong that is.

The masses of people being angry or in pain actually means a great deal. Richard Wolff talks a lot about this - how his message has become palatable to the general public rapidly and for the first time in his lifetime.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 21, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

how

the gently caress

do you use 540 gallons of water a day

:psyduck:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fleetwood Crack posted:

The masses of people being angry or in pain actually means a great deal. Richard Wolff talks a lot about this - how his message has become palatable to the general public rapidly and for the first time in his lifetime.

I'd recommend anyone who has the opportunity to see the executive producer himself speak in person (he tours the country sometimes) that you do it

not because he covers especially ground-breaking topics or anything like that, what he says is practically trivial for anyone remotely interested in leftism, but simply to see him speak to a crowd of people and watch them hang on his every word

there's going to be a huge demand for leftist thinking in the coming years simply because people are going to recognize that the system is still failing them (a lot of people already see this) and they're going to go looking for answers and this time around all the nazis have tied themselves up with supporting the system that's about to fail

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

in the next collapse I think we may get either a new new deal or full fascism. I mean it's possible that the american public remains pacified and quiescent again as wall st tries to take another collective poo poo on them but I feel like people are getting really pissed off

in some ways, it seems like our society is so late-stage capitalist that it's interfering with the transfer to fascism. nationalism is a vital aspect of fascism, and in certain fascist societies, wealth and property were literally stolen from the undesirable caste of people by the state and transferred to the dominant caste ("the nation"). but the vulture capitalists in our society prefer the system they have where they can exploit everyone below the 1% wealthiest regardless of their place in the racial caste system. they are perfectly happy to exploit racism to continue hollowing out the state and all public institutions ("we have to gut public schools/welfare/transportation etc. because those people are using it and don't deserve it"), but they will never fulfill their promises and actually transfer the wealth to the whites who are poor or middle class. they'll keep it all for themselves.

honestly the entire "hollowing out the state" aspect of this makes me wonder if fascism is even going to be the right term for what we'll have.

what made me think about this was reading yet another article about how the budget crisis in oklahoman public schools is so bad that some only stay open for four days a week, and teachers are fleeing the job in droves because of the low pay. i realized if you asked me to imagine a "classic" fascist society, it would be pretty much the exact opposite of that. something more like this: (comic about growing up in ba'athist syria)

i'm thinking political scientists of the future will have to come up with a new term to describe our toxic mix of capitalism, authoritarianism, and racism.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lactose Is Wack posted:

My dude take solace in the fact that this private gated "paradise" is going the be underwater within our lifetimes
I'd be a lot more satisfied with getting to watch it burn down within their lifetimes. Preferably with the residents still quarantined inside, to prevent the spread of whatever pandemic boomers are going to cause by taking immunosupressants while exposing their decrepit bodies to whatever untested nanomachine snake oil promises to let them ruin the world a few years longer.

Often Abbreviated posted:

American fascism looks like now, just with harsher punishments applied more frequently. Heck, a lot of people are living under American fascism - they're the ones who can't speak out, or politically organize, or draw attention to themselves for fear of bizarre and endless punishment (it's poor black people).
Also ever-more intrusive surveillance to catch all the thought criminals who at some point posted bad words about nazis on closed-down dead gay comedy forums. At least in CSPAM we can get to know our future deathcamp roomies.

rudatron posted:

The military is nearly 100% chuds and its tbhe army that determines which way the nation goes during a crisis of government. It'll take a civil war to dislodge them and the left isn't organized enough to pull it off (because they've bought into weak anarchist decentralization stuff, which will just straight up lose against a strict chain of command) or strong enough. America will become a failed state.
Also the fascists hold most of the keys to armories where the heavy metal is stored. Maybe a few sites will be overrun, but the majority are going to be arming chud militias. No matter how many semiautomatics the other side has, artillery makes direct confrontation a meaningless exercise in suicide. Any civil 'war' is just gonna be instant slaughter of any organized group challenging the military head-on armed only with small arms and big ideas. Which will be followed by endless ineffectual guerrilla/insurgency bullshit like the past several decades of middle-east conflict.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how

the gently caress

lmao

quote:

At the meeting, residents accused farmers of sucking the water out from under them and the state of shirking its responsibilities. Lacey, the A.D.W.R. official, argued that the state couldn’t put water back into their wells. The only solution for homeowners, the officials explained, was to chase the water downward, by deepening their wells a few hundred feet. The cost of this, residents knew, was $15,000 to $30,000 — as much as half the value of some homes in the valley.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

KaptainKrunk posted:

The rise of american fascism won't see ever greater numbers of white polo-wearing failsons pouring into the streets. I don't know what it'll look like, but Charlottesville (nazi larping) and Trumpism (naked corporate grifting with a touch of white supremacy) aren't it.

Also the idea that you're gonna build a mass movement exclusively on the backs of 45-65 year old white dudes with giant dad bellies and heart problems and chud failsons is laughable

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1020664584540127232

Looks something like this I think.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

:stonk: :yikes:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how

the gently caress

to trigger the libs

FourLeaf posted:

in some ways, it seems like our society is so late-stage capitalist that it's interfering with the transfer to fascism. nationalism is a vital aspect of fascism, and in certain fascist societies, wealth and property were literally stolen from the undesirable caste of people by the state and transferred to the dominant caste ("the nation"). but the vulture capitalists in our society prefer the system they have where they can exploit everyone below the 1% wealthiest regardless of their place in the racial caste system. they are perfectly happy to exploit racism to continue hollowing out the state and all public institutions ("we have to gut public schools/welfare/transportation etc. because those people are using it and don't deserve it"), but they will never fulfill their promises and actually transfer the wealth to the whites who are poor or middle class. they'll keep it all for themselves.

honestly the entire "hollowing out the state" aspect of this makes me wonder if fascism is even going to be the right term for what we'll have.

what made me think about this was reading yet another article about how the budget crisis in oklahoman public schools is so bad that some only stay open for four days a week, and teachers are fleeing the job in droves because of the low pay. i realized if you asked me to imagine a "classic" fascist society, it would be pretty much the exact opposite of that. something more like this: (comic about growing up in ba'athist syria)

i'm thinking political scientists of the future will have to come up with a new term to describe our toxic mix of capitalism, authoritarianism, and racism.

despotism. or oligarchy.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Shear Modulus posted:

despotism. or oligarchy.
Vonnegut called it Polyglot Corporate Oligarchy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

to trigger the libs

despotism. or oligarchy.

Cyberpunk now?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lactose Is Wack posted:

My dude take solace in the fact that this private gated "paradise" is going the be underwater within our lifetimes

the people living in it will be dead by then

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FourLeaf posted:

neofeudalism

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cyber-archy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
most people are dangerously close to serfs at this point

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

oh yea ive been there. it's actually good bbq but dont go at noon or that happens

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the draka novels s m Stirling has one of the drakan characters refer to their serf-holding republic as plutocratic collectivism

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

a fukken... poo poo... triarchy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

anime was right posted:

most people are dangerously close to serfs at this point

Let's go serfing now,

Everybody's learning how,

come on and subordinate me (come on and subordinate me)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
About 1/20 of the Us MIlitary is White Nationalist, maybe 25% are fascistic.. Not enough to build an actual movement 0n. The conflict can be won, only need a soc dem elected to start the conflict and begin the purification of American thought. I KNow it can be won, yes we will need to enslave twenty million afterwords for being thought degnerates, but it can be won. All that matters here is, are you so called lefties willing to enslave twenty million?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

rudatron posted:

lol people are really overestimating the number of white people in the military

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

might be fun to go with friends in ponchos and sombreros, like i thought this was "Mission" BBQ whats with the american flags :confused:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ShutteredIn posted:

lol people are really overestimating the number of white people in the military
Also, remember that this guy.

https://twitter.com/BreadAndPork/status/989554557566046210
One of the first DSA aligned candidates to win. This guy is a former marine. The Military is far more varied then you know. Also I know the war will be won because I like to watch the forums for Oathkeeper types. They all like to think that some sort of war where they don't control any cities is how they'll win. That's a recipe for in the best of circumstances going the way of the FARC. (In the worst of circumstances you go the way of Che).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

One of the first DSA aligned candidates to win. This guy is a former marine. The Military is far more varied then you know. Also I know the war will be won because I like to watch the forums for Oathkeeper types. They all like to think that some sort of war where they don't control any cities is how they'll win. That's a recipe for in the best of circumstances going the way of the FARC. (In the worst of circumstances you go the way of Che).

The cops and military will change sides for whoever pays them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

He won despite the bad VA state dems not giving him any sort of support or recognition.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

The cops and military will change sides for whoever pays them

Which is why I state, that the conflict will begin after a soc dem is elected president, and they promise to stack the court.

etalian posted:

He won despite the bad VA state dems not giving him any sort of support or recognition.

This is going to be repeated over and over for the next ten years.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Guess who has more money: a theoretical socdem Bernie administration, broke and piled up with debt from trump tax cuts, or plutocrats? That's even assuming Bernie wins

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the notion that, alone among all institutions and organizations in this country, the military will be a cohesive bloc with a uniform ideology and command structure is a silly one

I know as many vets who got turned into a commie during their service as ones who had their chuddiness escalate. It's not like the current people in power are doing anything but loving the soldiers, with benefit cuts at the same time that they're discharging and deporting their friends.

Anyway it's all irrelevant anyway because the Air Force has a bunch of nukes and is 100% ruled by far right Evangelical chuds who will use the civil war as an excuse to bring about the rapture

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

This is going to be repeated over and over for the next ten years.

It's hilarious how incompetent and poorly run state dem organizations are especially in important states like FL.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

rudatron posted:

Guess who has more money: a theoretical socdem Bernie administration, broke and piled up with debt from trump tax cuts, or plutocrats? That's even assuming Bernie wins

Lifehack: promise your military a share of the money from the treason trials

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

The government prints money, its that simple.

Epic High Five posted:

I think the notion that, alone among all institutions and organizations in this country, the military will be a cohesive bloc with a uniform ideology and command structure is a silly one

I know as many vets who got turned into a commie during their service as ones who had their chuddiness escalate. It's not like the current people in power are doing anything but loving the soldiers, with benefit cuts at the same time that they're discharging and deporting their friends.

Anyway it's all irrelevant anyway because the Air Force has a bunch of nukes and is 100% ruled by far right Evangelical chuds who will use the civil war as an excuse to bring about the rapture

Yeah, your right to the last part Evangelicals are universally too attached to their mansions to ever risk giving them up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how incompetent and poorly run state dem organizations are especially in important states like FL.

there's a lot of campaigns that were expecting a ratfucking but it turns out that the local Dem org in their very winnable district is just like, a DNC intern checking a group account once a week

thanks, obama

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

The government prints money, its that simple.

Yeah, your right to the last part Evangelicals are universally too attached to their mansions to ever risk giving them up.

I mean yeah, generally, but are the air force fundies the prosperity gospel mansion types as well? That seems out of the pay grade of even a high level general in the most overfunded military in world history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

I mean yeah, generally, but are the air force fundies the prosperity gospel mansion types as well? That seems out of the pay grade of even a high level general in the most overfunded military in world history

They are. Seriously most of the end times types are also prosperity gospel types, they would love to bring about the rapture, but got to save up so they can have a marble fountain in front of their gothic-tudor fusion mcmansion, that God wants them to have. Now if say a street preacher got his or her hands on nukes, then I'd be scared, those guys are actually poor and have always been poor, and really do believe the end times are going to happen.