Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

mongo isn't a database, its a heap

dont choose mongo or you will be in a heap of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

and the heap isn't a heap

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the nosql movement is a joke

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

watching developers try to efficiently implement joins and transactions at the application level on top of mongo because their leadership got caught up in the nosql hype is fun to watch

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
its the nesting that kills me. like yeah no joins sucks but it doesnt add that much cognitive overhead if you just accept the poo poo performance. its the nesting that kills me. change a document? hope you remembered to update that document everywhere its been nested! good luck!

no transactions is balls though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

denormalisation bites again!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tef posted:

anyway yes gently caress queues, especially persistent or transactional ones, they're just lovely databases

Doesn't postgres have a pubsub

Is it like mongo vs. postgres where postgres is a better document db than the actual document db

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's a heap of poo poo

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fiedler posted:

great, you've figured out that you want to write developer tools. now immediately go apply for those jobs. worst case is you're not hired and you try again in 6 months.

yeah there's a fair amount of these jobs out there. just look up some tools that you've used or thought about using and see if they have a careers page. if they do, apply for one that looks interesting.

if you don't get an interview, re-apply in 3 months. if you interview but don't get the job, reapply in 6 months

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
case in point, a former coworker of mine just went to google to do open source tools engineering. idk what he's gonna be working on but it sounded really good.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Fiedler posted:

great, you've figured out that you want to write developer tools. now immediately go apply for those jobs. worst case is you're not hired and you try again in 6 months.

yeah, do this. it's not as hard as you're assuming shoegaze. you won't get most the jobs you apply to in any area, but just start doin' it and itll work out. IMHO you should spend your year looking for a good job that you would want, not studying (I mean, unless thats what you want to do). you seem p smart and competent and just need to shoot the job-getting odds, not get more booksmart

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

more like a miserable little pile of objects

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

if u literally think its a binary good/bad use/don't use choice between nosql and mysql/postgres you clearly aren't doing anything serious

both things have applications

"lets use mysql for a distributed cache!" and "lets put our data model truth store in mongo!" are both dumbass ideas

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah, do this. it's not as hard as you're assuming shoegaze. you won't get most the jobs you apply to in any area, but just start doin' it and itll work out. IMHO you should spend your year looking for a good job that you would want, not studying (I mean, unless thats what you want to do). you seem p smart and competent and just need to shoot the job-getting odds, not get more booksmart

Yeah this was my thought, exactly.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
just use spanner for everything it's cool

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Doesn't postgres have a pubsub

Is it like mongo vs. postgres where postgres is a better document db than the actual document db

now, sorta

on the other hand mongo has a v good btree now

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

on the other hand mongo has a v good btree now
nice, between that and transactions theyre almost caught up to a 25 year-old version of Db2

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's a lock-free (well maybe wait-free) concurrent b-tree, it's pretty neat

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

it's a lock-free (well maybe wait-free) concurrent b-tree, it's pretty neat
So they implemented microsofts Bwtree? Meh

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pretty neat is Toku's fractal tree, free indexes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

most of my db knowledge can be summed up as: never use Oracle, never use mongo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ive become pretty interested in databases during my masters program and am strongly considering sticking around to do a PhD to do more databases research

It helps that my advisor is rad as hell

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Ive become pretty interested in databases during my masters program and am strongly considering sticking around to do a PhD to do more databases research

It helps that my advisor is rad as hell

write a paper titled: how to coax dbas into letting you run more and longer queries

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fiedler posted:

also spend your time after this job writing tools

hacking on Rust itself would be a good start

so would hacking on Swift, or writing new static analyses for clang, or helping with the SBCL POWER9/ppc64le port, that sort of thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Rust hacking suggestion: take your functor thingy and profile the compiler and see if you can figure out why the slow part is slow, and what to do to fix it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
tool and library development is my favorite part about my job since I dont have to be nice to the customers at all.

at this point most of my job is pointing people in the right direction or gesticulating wildly in front of a whiteboard about an algorithm or process. then whenever we run into a problem that doesnt have a fix off the shelf (deployment tools, source code generators, etc) I get to throw my headphones on and just knock out a bunch of code, and is probably the only time where the requirements are actually 100% known at start

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

So they implemented microsofts Bwtree? Meh

no, they made a fast btree, wiredtiger

it's not the same as it doesn't use indirection

tbh the bw-tree has a lock, too, just on the flush buffers

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

"is that turd shiny yet?"
"no"
"keep polishing, assholes!"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

no, they made a fast btree, wiredtiger
oh right they got that in the wiredtiger acquisition

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Boiled Water posted:

write a paper titled: how to coax dbas into letting you run more and longer queries

i wish i had come up with this this is wonderful

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i put my money where my mouth is and chucked dapper and mediatr at a project and folks, my needs are extremely suited.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 22, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

returning to topic of job scheduling: anyone knows alternatives to rundeck? my job needs a gui shell for cron jobs with basic tooling like logging or execution emails, since one of our senior developers still doesnt know how to work with ssh tunnels or command line linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

its literally to janitor 1 machine and i cant be arsed to spend a week reconfiguring rundeck and fixing process leak (its basically threads away and whoops you have 3rd of your ram occupied by ~something~)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Boiled Water posted:

https://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/cs711/2002fa/reading/sagas.pdf

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how often do they need to be rescheduled/tinkered with? it sounds like Luigi might be need-suiting maybe

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
here is my db post: using nosql for cache is appropriate because a cache is supposed to lose data

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

how often do they need to be rescheduled/tinkered with? it sounds like Luigi might be need-suiting maybe

the most common use cases are to

1) read log after failed execution
2) manually run the job before schedule

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

returning to topic of job scheduling: anyone knows alternatives to rundeck? my job needs a gui shell for cron jobs with basic tooling like logging or execution emails, since one of our senior developers still doesn’t know how to work with ssh tunnels or command line linux

Fire ur Sr developer that can't be assed to do their job

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

oh right they got that in the wiredtiger acquisition

yeah, tbh it started out no more reliable than the filesystem, which, eh, isn't so bad

people resent it because it represents the truth that good engineering is useless without good docs, support, or onboarding, and mongodb only did the latter at first, and started acquiring the former recentlyhonestly, any database under a decade old won't be reliable. then again what about basho and riak, that well engineered software that had more conference attendees than users.

the thing that gets me is the people who smarmed about a 'real' database, when none of them know what isolation level transactions run at, dump poo poo into persistent message queues 'to handle failure', and then slap a dht'd memcache atop and do stale reads. it's fine, i mean i'm not saying mongodb is good but frankly you can build a lossy system out of everything and everyone already has.

the people making GBS threads on mongo are the sort of people who then go and use etc, consul, and a variety of home brew key value stores backed by mmap , complete with a homebrew replication system that's baked atop raft as it tuns out raft is designed for teaching, not performance. poo poo on mongo for all i care, it has a crappy name, poor transactional support, and well, god i tried to do a join once and it was awful

but like, you do realise 'good and smart' engineers have repeatedly tried and failed to build something better in that market space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

here is my db post: using nosql for cache is appropriate because a cache is supposed to lose data

technically agreeing

gossip, eventual consistency techniques are great for replicating data between caches