Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm sending some to a friend who likes "high end dark chocolate, absolutely no nuts" and I know nothing about it.

Would greatly appreciate some recommendations, I went back a few pages but couldn't find a chocolate thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.

If it matters, we are both on the U.S. West Coast.

Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
have you tried dark chocolate? I think your friend might like it

most grocery stores sell it, but you'll want to buy the one labeled 'dark' (not white!!) chocolate

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Go to whole foods and ask them. There's a lot of detail about chocolate, and I don't really know enough to help you. I usually just buy some from Trader Joe's.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Get some of the kind with mole style spicy peppers (ancho, pasilla, chipotle, etc) and make sure the cacao percentage is about 70-80% as it starts to get really chalky and gross past 90%.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Paging Thumposaurus to this thread.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you're in the northwest part of the west coast you might be able to find Theo chocolate. They have a pretty good assortment of flavors, I prefer the orange flavored.

Seconding Whole Foods, they're a little overpriced but they do have a legit chocolate section.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Strange thread. Just buy some Hershey’s. All dark chocolate tastes gross anyways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Piggy Smalls posted:

Strange thread. Just buy some Hershey’s. All dark chocolate tastes gross anyways.

I'm so sorry you are broken and consider vomit to be a superior taste to bitterness, but please try not to inflict your horrible opinions on others.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Taza chocolate is made in Massachusetts but they sell it all over the country. Stone ground, organic Mexican-style dark chocolate. Kind of on the gritty side, but I like that. The guajillo pepper disks are the best. You can probably find it at Whole Foods. And if you are ever in Somerville, MA, the factory tour is very entertaining.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Green and Black's Organic is very good, even the super dark 85% is smooth and creamy in the mouth (hurr hurr), and less bitter than others at the same concentration somehow. Of course they have 70%, 60% with various additions, etc.

Another one you could try is Endangered Species, they have various dark chocolate flavors as well - the 88% is a bit rougher than G&B, but they've got 72%, 60% with raspberry or seasalt or caramel etc.

Don't get Hershey's please.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Guittard is very good.

emotive fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 25, 2018

Segue
May 23, 2007

emotive posted:

Not sure about the West Coast, but Mast Brothers chocolate is incredible. Guittard is also good and probably more accessible.

I though Mast Brothers got exposed as overpriced hipster bullshit. Or did they change their practices?

https://qz.com/571151/the-mast-brothers-fooled-the-world-into-buying-crappy-hipster-chocolate-for-10-a-bar/

Green and Black do make good dark chocolate which is apparently fair trade. I still think Lindt makes the smoothest and creamiest I've had (and I like the thinness of the bars: more surface area) but I assume it's less ethically sourced.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Green and Black is really good but I think the 85% just has too little sugar to really taste like dark chocolate to me. I like the slightly lower percentages.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You'll pay through the nose for them, but Dandelion's 70% single-origin tasting bars are decently widely distributed through Northern California and they're crazy good.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Segue posted:

I though Mast Brothers got exposed as overpriced hipster bullshit. Or did they change their practices?

https://qz.com/571151/the-mast-brothers-fooled-the-world-into-buying-crappy-hipster-chocolate-for-10-a-bar/

Green and Black do make good dark chocolate which is apparently fair trade. I still think Lindt makes the smoothest and creamiest I've had (and I like the thinness of the bars: more surface area) but I assume it's less ethically sourced.

Yeah I never realized they had that big scandal. I removed the recommendation as it's been a while since I've had their stuff.

Segue
May 23, 2007

If we want to make this just a chocolate thread, I've never been a coffee or tea drinker, but I recently started drinking hot cocoa pretty regularly as a nice way to get a dark chocolate fix not in bar form.

I just make my own since all the pre-packaged stuff is way too sweet.

It's pretty easy:

Just put two tablespoons of cocoa powder along with just a bit of sugar in a mug and add enough milk to cover that. Stir until smooth (not adding too much liquid helps avoid lumps).

Then keep stirring and add milk in a thin-ish stream until full, again to avoid lumps, microwave for a minute, and ta da.

Add a bunch of cinnamon and cayenne if you want to do Mexican style, more than you think is necessary really since the milk and chocolate don't leave much room for subtlety.

It's a great, rich drink that's cheap and pretty healthy especially if you use a sweetener instead of sugar.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

i got u my dude

https://www.recchiuti.com/collections/boxed-chocolates

https://www.amazon.com/Pralus-Pyramid-Pyramide-Tropiques-Chocolates/dp/B000N33SIU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Bonnat Apotequil is the best chocolate Ive ever had.

• Locked thread