Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Montalvo posted:

I popped in some new keycaps and the typing (like the switches) feels a tiny tiny bit different. Is this just a phsychological effect or did I somehow gently caress up my keyboard like an imbecile?

I snagged a used Razer Blackwidow for my kid (hey, it was 25 bucks). After using it for a few hours, my hands actually started to hurt. Where I can type on my Corsair K70 all day with no issues.

I pulled a cap off each, and the K70's are a touch thicker and taller.

The difference might be so minute that your eyes will play tricks on you, but you can feel the difference immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Montalvo posted:

Cool, thanks! I'm probably going to pick up some PBT caps from Amazon or Mechanical Keyboards soon. Very tempted by this or this.

If you're looking for cheap, thick PBT keycaps, I can recommend YMDK. The sellers are on AliExpress, eBay, and Amazon. Got mine from Amazon for the peace of mind. Shipping to Canada is surprisingly fast considering it's coming all the way from China. I have a Magicforce clone keyboard (68 keys) and I got this keycap set: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YMDK-Customized-61-64-68-ANSI-Keyset-OEM-Profile-Thick-PBT-Keycap-set-For-Cherry-MX/32839583006.html. Only issues were that the 2nd Alt key was not the 'correct' width and there was no Insert key -- they are not the seller's error -- I got them knowing that they'd be issues.

I've been typing on my new keycaps for a while and I've just noticed how little force is needed to depress my MX Brown clones. Not related to keycaps and keyswitch maybe, just a result of my pounding away on laptop keyboards for years with no loud consequences and now that I have a clacky mech keeb I am super conscious of my typing habit. Typing with grace is hard. Kinda like pulling your punches to not hit someone in the face. Really hard to do when typing fast.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This is kind of hard to explain, but is there some sort of 'break-in' period with new keycaps made of the identical material? Or did I gently caress something up when installing these new caps? Or, are slight differences something to just expect with cheap cap sets from wasd and other places?

I just replaced the default OEM caps on my wasd cherry blue board with another set of default OEM caps with a better cap color pattern and text color. The pattern I originally got with the wasd board came out looking like poo poo with the text on the caps basically unreadable. Thing is, this new set of caps feels a lot more "stiff" compared to the set of caps that came pre-installed on the wasd board. It's kind of hard to explain, but it almost feels like it takes a little more pressure to actuate the keys and the enter key almost feels like it "sticks" if I hit it at an off angle with my pinkie finger. It doesn't always stick, just sometimes. I wouldn't really call it a stick either: more like an unexpected amount of pinkie finger resistance.

And yes the stabilizer inserts and stabilizer bars were all placed correctly and none of the keys are backwards or anything like that.

I've read about lubing caps/switches, but is that really necessary with a board that is basically 2 weeks old?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Koskun posted:

I snagged a used Razer Blackwidow for my kid (hey, it was 25 bucks). After using it for a few hours, my hands actually started to hurt. Where I can type on my Corsair K70 all day with no issues.

I pulled a cap off each, and the K70's are a touch thicker and taller.

The difference might be so minute that your eyes will play tricks on you, but you can feel the difference immediately.

Sometimes I find you haven't pushed them all on equally firmly, might be worth putting a little more pressure on and seeing if it goes on further on some of the higher caps.

Also I'm considering ignoring RGB as it seems a little teeny bopper and getting a Ducky One2 with White backlighting. Is this worth it? Or should I just wait for the Shine 7? Got a Blackwidow V2 with Razer greens and a K95 my wife got me with speeds and still prefer MX Blues for the feel so was thinking of getting a better quality board with them. UK ISO.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Apparently there’s a Massdrop x Oblotsky version of space cadet coming out in August.

Guess I’m gonna get that for the ergodox I don’t have yet. Gotta love this hobby.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Trip Repot:

The Anne Pro is a huge pile of poo poo.

I've tried all versions of the firmware they have and they all perform inconsistently. Bluetooth connecting sucks, both with the super Chinese Android app and having to sideload their sketchy non-approved windows store app. Same goes for controlling the RGB patterns.
With every firmware the lights will just randomly stop working and the keeb will disconnect from whatever you're using and start trying to connect to anything else it can find.
There's no off switch, and if you leave it plugged into a charger instead of a computer it's going to eventually poo poo the bed and require you to unplug it and re-flash the firmware before it will connect to anything.
I've put it back in the box and I don't even know what I'm going to do with it.

On a lighter note, I just bought this thing: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/65914 and I am stoked.
I have the non RGB k320 and it's FANTASTIC. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Blackfyre posted:

Sometimes I find you haven't pushed them all on equally firmly, might be worth putting a little more pressure on and seeing if it goes on further on some of the higher caps.

Also I'm considering ignoring RGB as it seems a little teeny bopper and getting a Ducky One2 with White backlighting. Is this worth it? Or should I just wait for the Shine 7? Got a Blackwidow V2 with Razer greens and a K95 my wife got me with speeds and still prefer MX Blues for the feel so was thinking of getting a better quality board with them. UK ISO.

Still holding the trigger on this, I looked into the WASD boards but I don't like costar stabilizers and they are missing the PBT caps as standard. Really tempted by the one2 for a quality board but not sure if I should wait for the Shine 7 or get a different brand.

The more I think about it also the more RGB feels silly too if you are over 16?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Still holding the trigger on this, I looked into the WASD boards but I don't like costar stabilizers and they are missing the PBT caps as standard. Really tempted by the one2 for a quality board but not sure if I should wait for the Shine 7 or get a different brand.

The more I think about it also the more RGB feels silly too if you are over 16?

They can come with pbt standard.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-104-key-doubleshot-pbt-black-slate-mechanical-keyboard.html

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

My other issues with that were it was ANSI when I really prefer UK ISO (as it is what I have used here all my life) and costar stabilizers - I have grown quite a distaste for them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

That looks like a prebuilt version. Is there a way to do a custom color sett one with PBT?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
In addition to the above can anyone recommend any decent wristrests? If I can say one thing about the v2 Blackwidow is the wrist rest is very comfortable and my wrists enjoy it. Like it doesn't move at all like some have done in old offices. Would look for one to go with my new keyboard as I'm not assuming it will come with one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

That looks like a prebuilt version. Is there a way to do a custom color sett one with PBT?

If such a thing existed custom sets would not be rare as expensive.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
gently caress after having a look around it seemed like a Varmilo VA109M would be perfect and customisable on their website but after contacting them they aren’t doing MX Blues for the foreseeable future due to a shortage!! I love blues so I’m kinda reluctant to get another switch?

Do people think Varm are better than Ducky as I’d hold fire/just get another switch if so, otherwise the One2

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Suggest me a good mechanical keyboard from Prime Day? Or are these not the greatest deals? I see some Cherry keyboards in the $65-99 CAD range, which is good. I don’t want to spend more than that, really.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

Suggest me a good mechanical keyboard from Prime Day? Or are these not the greatest deals? I see some Cherry keyboards in the $65-99 CAD range, which is good. I don’t want to spend more than that, really.

If you want Red or Blues then this is a very nice option.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is a magicforce 68 deal with browns right now

https://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechan...=A3DP4U0YSMI802

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

There is a magicforce 68 deal with browns right now

https://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechan...=A3DP4U0YSMI802

Have the outemu switches gotten better since the OP?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Blackfyre posted:

gently caress after having a look around it seemed like a Varmilo VA109M would be perfect and customisable on their website but after contacting them they aren’t doing MX Blues for the foreseeable future due to a shortage!! I love blues so I’m kinda reluctant to get another switch?

Do people think Varm are better than Ducky as I’d hold fire/just get another switch if so, otherwise the One2

Ducky is good, haven't had a varmilo

Dietrich posted:

The outemu browns are really good in the velocifire vm01. They don't seem as lovely as outemu blues for some reason

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dietrich posted:

Dunno, but its $31 lol

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Blackfyre posted:

Mechanicalkeyboards.com has some with blues in stock and for preorder

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/sea...off&show_acc=on

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Dietrich posted:

Yep, pretty much everybody has stepped their game up and I'd actually rank original Cherry's as dead last.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fair enough, I ordered one. We'll see if it's too loud for the office.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Constellation I posted:

Yep, pretty much everybody has stepped their game up and I'd actually rank original Cherry's as dead last.

What switch would you recommend if I really enjoy Cherry Clears?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Kailh Box Burnt Orange. It's bump is way higher than Clear and it's way smoother.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Zealios 78g or Zealios 67g if you want to go lighter.
Kailh Box Royal if you want a nice and crisp bump.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

My ducky one 2 arrived. Man this thing is the bomb.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

dex_sda posted:

My ducky one 2 arrived. Man this thing is the bomb.

Hmm I'm just about to pull the trigger on this since I can't get a Varm with blues, what type of One2 did you get and what switches. Keycap quality good etc?

EDIT: Also as much as I love the blues I'm still tempted by the Varms, so wondering if - as I game as well as type on here - I should just plump for browns or even .... Clears?? Seen people love clears and I've never used them. I had browns once and missed the clicks and found they felt like 'Scratchy Reds' which I had seen elsewhere. I do get how annoying the clicking can be though and I do worry even though my Wife says its fine.

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 18, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Constellation I posted:

Zealios 78g or Zealios 67g if you want to go lighter.
Kailh Box Royal if you want a nice and crisp bump.

Does anyone sell those 4 key demo keyboards for these switches? You know the ones where they have one of each switch and you can try them out. I'm very interested as I am currently looking for a gaming board.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I don't really recommend switch testers as they don't really represent how actually typing on these would feel like. But I guess they're better than nothing.

NovelKeys has you covered:

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switch-testers/products/4-slot-switch-tester?variant=3747941777448

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Personally, I think I prefer Clears to 67g Zealios. I say think, because the tactile bump and smoothness on the Zealios feels better, but they are comparatively very light, or at least feel that way because of the bump. I might have to try putting in some Clear spring in the Zealios switches to see how that feels if I’m ever super bored.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Following up my post above, how are clears for gaming? I can see they are Goon recommended but if I'm stepping away from my old favourite blues, I know browns are good for typing and gaming even if they have a scratchy red feel (little bump) I'm worried if I get clears it wouldn't be any good for gaming. Either that or the best of all worlds just quieter than the blues.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
It's all personal preference, so it really depends on you. Personally I'm not a big fan of heavy switches for gaming, but love them for typing.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

Hmm I'm just about to pull the trigger on this since I can't get a Varm with blues, what type of One2 did you get and what switches. Keycap quality good etc?

EDIT: Also as much as I love the blues I'm still tempted by the Varms, so wondering if - as I game as well as type on here - I should just plump for browns or even .... Clears?? Seen people love clears and I've never used them. I had browns once and missed the clicks and found they felt like 'Scratchy Reds' which I had seen elsewhere. I do get how annoying the clicking can be though and I do worry even though my Wife says its fine.

I can't comment cause I haven't used many keyboard really, but the keycap quality is by far the best I've ever had under my fingers. It's a joy to type. I got blues for them clicks.

It's the full size with blue led backlight. It feels super solid, doesn't slide around, the lighting looks good and is controllable without any driver retardation.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 18, 2018

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

dex_sda posted:

I can't comment cause I haven't used many keyboard really, but the keycap quality is by far the best I've ever had under my fingers. It's a joy to type. I got blues for them clicks.

It's the full size with blue led backlight. It feels super solid, doesn't slide around, the lighting looks good and is controllable without any driver retardation.

Ok Cool, I'm going to try and grab a tester and see if I can live without the clicks and possibly get browns or clears. I can see the all around appeal of browns though, me liking the noisy blues is probably a bit selfish anyway. Are browns the most popular switch then? Maybe tied with reds?

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Clears are fine for gaming IMO, I've used them for the best part of a year with no problems.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Naar posted:

Clears are fine for gaming IMO, I've used them for the best part of a year with no problems.

Cool thanks! Trying to get a tester just in case but they are limited in the UK it seems

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Blackfyre posted:

Following up my post above, how are clears for gaming? I can see they are Goon recommended but if I'm stepping away from my old favourite blues, I know browns are good for typing and gaming even if they have a scratchy red feel (little bump) I'm worried if I get clears it wouldn't be any good for gaming. Either that or the best of all worlds just quieter than the blues.

I think Clears work great for gaming. I’d even argue the heavy weighting sort of helps them to have a quicker rebound but I might be full of poo poo.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

sensy v2.0 posted:

I think Clears work great for gaming. I’d even argue the heavy weighting sort of helps them to have a quicker rebound but I might be full of poo poo.

I'm looking forward to getting my tester. Clears might be more expensive but I'm interested as I have found reds a little too light before and browns were fine and a decent middle road but still more on the linear side than tactile I'd say.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do people like the 55G of the Variable for the Topre Realforce 87U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a variable Realforce and I kinda just don't like it. I have a 86UB and the outside keys are too light.