Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

Now they're targeting Anthony Jeselnik

https://twitter.com/anthonyjeselnik/status/1020783170738794497

But he's a guy who truly doesn't give a gently caress

Yeah trying to take down Anthony Jeselnik for bad tweets is pointless

because I don’t even think he has a job to be fired from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Davros1 posted:

Now they're targeting Anthony Jeselnik

https://twitter.com/anthonyjeselnik/status/1020783170738794497

But he's a guy who truly doesn't give a gently caress

I have to look this guy up, most of those are actually pretty funny.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Difference is most of those were actual jokes instead of just weirdly constructed sentences with random child rape stuffed into them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jeselnik's entire comedy gimmick is delivering tasteless jokes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So people agreeing with gunns firing support everyone who was on a movie like the aristocrats being fired from their respective jobs right?

gently caress it, Gilbert gottfried- let’s go back and re-record his Aladdin role as well?

This just feels so stupid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s literally Comedy Police, it’s a terrifying precedent and the avalanche of pearls being clutched at is astounding.

It’s Weird Mike using our greatest weapon, internet outrage, against us.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Ideally, punishments would have happened at the time rather than being dished out later. I don't think anyone saying Gunn was vile has said the situation is anything but messy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gottfried is an OG, he lost the lucrative Aflac duck job way before all this poo poo for exactly that kind of thing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Safeword posted:

Ideally, punishments would have happened at the time rather than being dished out later. I don't think anyone saying Gunn was vile has said the situation is anything but messy.

He’s an independent contractor who was making or between making independent films when he tweeted that stuff, who was going to punish him?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jeselnik's entire comedy gimmick is delivering tasteless jokes.

His show was called the Jeselnik Offensive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At this point his next move will be mobilizing the Watermelon Party against Gallagher

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Looking through the hell-site there seems to be an overwhelming amount of support for Gunn from big name individuals, so I wonder if Disney might end up walking this back. The GOTG films are incredibly lucrative and at least one cast member has expressed unhappiness with the decision. GOTG isn't like Batman where you can recast and reboot forever, in the pop culture consciousness GOTG only exists as movies because no one cared about the comic books, so if some of the cast walk (though they might be tied up in contracts), then what makes GOTG popular and appealing to audiences goes as well. Disney might be tempted to take the shame of going "Whoops, your re-hired" over losing out on what would be a very successful film for them.

I think this firing is a bad move for reasons that others in this thread have already outlined, and Disney might begin to worry whether this may cause them trouble in future when an on-screen talent is found to have made some lovely joke for attention - which will happen - and they are pressured to make the same decision. They're already taking hits for their working relationship with Johnny Depp (as they should be), as now every person who visits Disney World has to go past an incredibly lifelike animatronic re-creation of a domestic abuser each time they go on a Pirate Boat ride.

Once again the challenge here is that the left have moral standards and the right seem to not. As an amorphous political blob the left are always in the midst of a complex conversation and negotiation of what is and isn't acceptable, which is good because this is how growth happens. But, it also means the right can throw an attack on one of their prominent critics in a way that can't be used in reverse, because, gently caress they don't care, they got a racist, psychopathic rapist into office and are happy about it. It's the modern cultural equivalent of when a villain in a movie endangers innocent people so that they can get away..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The alt-right are mostly a band of buffoons, but basically the reason they formed and have lasted this long is that they have a near-instinctive sense of how to abuse liberal sensibilities and decorum, playing on the shame of others while having none of their own, and taking advantage of the twitter mob's baying for blood and scalps with no sense of proportion or ability to pick their battles.

It's the kind of attitudes combined that basically punish taking artistic risks by hiring people from outside the Hollywood machine safely nestled behind PR and nepotism. (and which, as we in this thread are all too aware, just means that the abusers and their enablers have a slicker and cleaner cover-up going on)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hold The Ashes posted:

Difference is most of those were actual jokes instead of just weirdly constructed sentences with random child rape stuffed into them.

No one said he was good at jokes. They're still jokes.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Safeword posted:

Punishments should never have happened.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
COMPLETE LIST OF THINGS YOU CANNOT TELL JOKES ABOUT:
1) RAPE
2) PEDOPHILIA
3) WOMEN
4) TRANSGENDER PEOPLE
67) OLD LADY FALLS DOWN STAIRS BUT ITS NOT HER FAULT A ROLLERSKATE WAS AT THE TOP
68) TERMINAL CANCER WARD FOR CHILDREN
69) PEOPLE WITH TOO MANY FRECKLES

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mike Cernovich definitely agrees with the content of most of the tweets. This wasnt some noble MeToo crusade or anything. He just used the internet outrage machine to get a guy he didnt like fired

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 22, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's looking like the alt-right thinks it can turn this into its own #metoo to inconvenience anyone critical of Trump, but I think they already overshot their hand. If Disney hadn't responded so bizarrely quick to Gunn's thing, there would've been time for the notion to spread that this started as a disingenuous rapist's initative, and it might've just blown over.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

COMPLETE LIST OF THINGS YOU CANNOT TELL JOKES about :
1) RAPE
2) PEDOPHILIA
3) WOMEN
4) TRANSGENDER PEOPLE
67) OLD LADY FALLS DOWN STAIRS BUT ITS NOT HER FAULT A ROLLERSKATE WAS AT THE TOP
68) TERMINAL CANCER WARD FOR CHILDREN
69) PEOPLE WITH TOO MANY FRECKLES

Don't turn a discussion about the nature of forgiveness and terrifying new methods of disingenuous activism into another arena for you to complain you can't make rape jokes, you worthless idiot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pirate Jet posted:

Don't turn a discussion about the nature of forgiveness and terrifying new methods of disingenuous activism into another arena for you to complain you can't make rape jokes, you worthless idiot.

70) JOKING ABOUT RAPE

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
It's funny that everyones jumping into their usual political camps over the Gunn firing instead of realizing that society has become too oversensitive about everything.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Top Gun posted:

It's funny that everyones jumping into their usual political camps over the Gunn firing instead of realizing that society has become too oversensitive about everything.

is that right

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Top Gun posted:

It's funny that everyones jumping into their usual political camps over the Gunn firing instead of my objectively correct and apolitical opinion

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Judakel posted:

Punishments should never have happened.

Joking about the rape of children in a public space should have professional repercussions, as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't a one off, it was a recurring thing - imagine if the same remarks were being made about women in the industry. You cannot treat this stuff in a vaccum.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is a lot of hypocrisy around Gunn's firing.

But he was fired because those tweets legitimately were gross, including one that was sent to an actual pedophile. It's understandable why Disney fired him, especially since all the press around Pixar and Roseanne. They're also tweets that if like a friend of yours was fired for making at an office job, you'd kind of get it even if it sucks. It's not okay that Disney isn't firing people who are actual abusers though.

With that said, James Gunn has a net worth of 40 million dollars. For reference, if you are currently earning $50,000 a year, you would have to work for 800 years to earn the amount of money James Gunn has for making mediocre movies. The fact that so many people are expending so much mental effort and concern for a millionaire who will clearly continue to make other movies, just not with Disney, is insane.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Timeless Appeal posted:

But he was fired because those tweets legitimately were gross, including one that was sent to an actual pedophile. It's understandable why Disney fired him

Agreed, Disney should have fired (or rather not hired) him years ago, when they first learned about the tweets and he ended up apologising for them. They're (to my eyes) more than bad enough to lose your job over. Firing him now, solely because actual-rapist-and-rape-apologist cernovich pushed them to, is bullshit

edit: and also worse people and actual abusers are still associated with disney, as lots of goons have pointed out. He was fired not because of his tweets, but because Lead Pizzagate Piece Of poo poo cernovich was able to draw attention to them in the most obvious display of bad faith in history

peer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 22, 2018

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
e: -

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 22, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Separate from who found what and when this first came out, those tweets were a nothingburger. Crude, tasteless, offensive jokes are grounds for firing... except not so much when your job is (at least partly) to make jokes. Then your jokes are just bad, and then you'd be fireable on grounds of poor job performance. I don't think anybody reasonably sees those jokes as anything more than an edgelord's attempt to be edgy.

Of course, I fully understand why Disney would fire him. In the real world large companies fire extremely talented employees for lesser things because it's about reputation. You can't let the brand of the 40%-controller of Hollywood take a hit because of some guy. You couldn't let the Marvel series, the biggest film franchise in history, take that hit. The risk-to-benefit ratio in that analysis is out of whack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Weren't those tweets deleted and Cernovich just dug up screenshots? If that's the case, it's not even "He apologized for just this one thing but not the other thing!" He actively tried to better himself by removing shameful things he had said before so nobody would read them.

Vegetable posted:

Of course, I fully understand why Disney would fire him. In the real world large companies fire extremely talented employees for lesser things because it's about reputation. You can't let the brand of the 40%-controller of Hollywood take a hit because of some guy. You couldn't let the Marvel series, the biggest film franchise in history, take that hit. The risk-to-benefit ratio in that analysis is out of whack.

Not only have they not cut ties with Johnny Depp despite him being a crazy drunken wife beater, John Lasseter is still at Pixar because they can't even be arsed to fire him properly for serial harassment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vegetable posted:

Disney distributed Powder, written and directed by convicted child molester Victor Salva. His convictions were 8 years prior to the movie being made.

Disney don't give a poo poo about anything besides profits, and I guess Nazi dollars are worth more to them.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GrandpaPants posted:

Disney don't give a poo poo about anything besides profits, and I guess Nazi dollars are worth more to them.

I'm starting to think they were considering getting rid of Gunn for a while for whatever reasons, and this was a timely good excuse. :tinfoil:
(GoTG 3 was his last movie of that franchise with Disney as far as I know)

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

GrandpaPants posted:

Of course the megacorporation is motivated solely by profit, but surely Cernovich’s entire tactic here is based around the fact that Disney isn’t cowed by the alt-right’s purchasing power alone — that’s why he’s dredging up old posts that will look damning to a broader audience than just his followers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're definitely going to start doing this to every Trump critic they can manage, and likely focus on minorities, women, leftists...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gunn thing reminds me somewhat of the dogpiling ken jennings got for this tweet:

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/869982330743513089?lang=en

it's a little different because 1. it's actually funny and 2. the morons didn't get that this tweet was aimed at the trump people lying about barron supposedly being upset at the kathy griffin beheading picture and not at barron trump himself. their only desire is to silence anyone that speaks ill of dear leader.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

70) JOKING ABOUT RAPE

71) Joking about joking about rape

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Safeword posted:

Joking about the rape of children in a public space should have professional repercussions, as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't a one off, it was a recurring thing - imagine if the same remarks were being made about women in the industry. You cannot treat this stuff in a vaccum.

I don't think so, no.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Why should rape and molestation jokes be allowed on a public platform, though? Beyond the dubious "free speech" qualities, what does acceptance of that material give anyone?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Safeword posted:

Why should rape and molestation jokes be allowed on a public platform, though? Beyond the dubious "free speech" qualities, what does acceptance of that material give anyone?

For a start, humor can be a way for survivors of rape or molestation to cope with or take ownership of their experiences.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Is James Gunn a survivor of such abuse, or was he helping someone work through such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Probably not from Gunn’s tweets but MIB or 0atton Oswalt’s or Anthony Jeselnik’s (you know, professional comedy writers) then very probably