Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Skull Island might actually be closer to a microcosm of Earth than we know. Without a "rightful" protector (Kong/Godzilla), some other more malevolent force will arise and scourge the island/planet. Perhaps where the conflict arises is that Kong has never been exposed to the outside world and thinks he's supposed to clean up the mess made by [insert monster antagonist here] meanwhile Godzilla, who's been doing it for millennia, shows up too and is like "damned dirty ape is trying to steal my job." Conflict ensues and bad monster gets away. Of course, they team up in the end. Maybe Kong getting a good old-fashioned rear end-whuppin' is exactly what he needs to figure out where he is in the pecking order but that frees him to be much more creative than the lumbering Godzilla who repeatedly makes the mistake of thinking he can simply overpower everything. The ape's cleverness paired with the ancient behemoth's brute strength is what is necessary to win the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I could believe this movie ending with Godzilla crippled, perhaps approaching radioactive meltdown mode from the Destroyah movie, and grown up Kong shows up to bring Godzilla down before he unleashes devastation in his death throes.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Realizing that Mothra is god drat huge in this. But still slightly shorter than her first appearance with a 820 ft wingspan (!!!) Ever since then her wingspan is usually cut in half.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Kong will probably just be very big and also display some heretofore unrealized elemental powers. Maybe because of his highly empathetic temperament, Kong will be able to be communicated with by a telepath, or something.

It's interesting how the choice of title, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, not only calls back to the specifically American edit of the original film, but is also masks the fact that the film is a not-so-stealth Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster remake. The narrative of the '64 film very much played on the notion of Godzilla's fundamental equality and lowness with other monsters, Mothra, Rodan. It's definitely not about a "King" leading a charge, and I wonder if the remake is actually leading on this idea through the title of Godzilla being divinely predetermined, in a Lovecraft-Arthurian way, to be "King."

Now think about how despite being called a King in his own film, Kong's kingly title is erased, almost like he's subaltern even in the context of these giant monster blockbusters. There's a smallness to the character even in this outsized world, which is something that even the original '62 King Kong vs. Godzilla understood: Kong is the good guy, reluctantly brought in to fight the now tyrannical King Godzilla.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

K. Waste posted:

Now think about how despite being called a King in his own film, Kong's kingly title is erased, almost like he's subaltern even in the context of these giant monster blockbusters. There's a smallness to the character even in this outsized world, which is something that even the original '62 King Kong vs. Godzilla understood: Kong is the good guy, reluctantly brought in to fight the now tyrannical King Godzilla.

I dunno, G14 had Monarch outright call Godzilla a god, and if anything this feels to me like humanity giving the cranky old kaiju a friendly but respectful nickname. Kong on the other hand was only an adolescent in Skull Island, and I got the distinct impression he isn't King Kong yet - but he will be when he grows up.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Kong is going to become a radical anti-monarchist once he sees that Godzilla has claimed the title of King. GvK will feature him leading a faction of Earth’s giant monsters in a revolutionary uprising against Godzilla and his loyalists.

At the end of the movie Godzilla will be executed via a massive guillotine (forged using one of Gigan’s dismembered arms) and Kong will be elected the first President of the Monsters.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sio posted:

Kong is going to become a radical anti-monarchist once he sees that Godzilla has claimed the title of King. GvK will feature him leading a faction of Earth’s giant monsters in a revolutionary uprising against Godzilla and his loyalists.

At the end of the movie Godzilla will be executed via a massive guillotine (forged using one of Gigan’s dismembered arms) and Kong will be elected the first President of the Monsters.

No Gods, No Monsters

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t believe they’ve made Kong.... a capitalist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

No Godzillas, No Monsters

how did you miss this pun?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I just left a hipster coffee shop, it was packed with liberals, whispering amongst each other about how Kong vs Godzilla will be using one of the unused Freddy vs Jason scripts. Everyone is PROUD!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Violator posted:

I just left a hipster coffee shop, it was packed with liberals, whispering amongst each other about how Kong vs Godzilla will be using one of the unused Freddy vs Jason scripts. Everyone is PROUD!

That would be a loving trip

I want to see Godzilla in court for crimes he committed and some where there's a cult of Kong, KongHeads, who are trying to bring him from the dreamworld-skull island

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The stranded pilot specifically says that the native people of Skull Island specifically consider Kong to be the island's king, and a pretty good one at that.

There is a bit of emphasis in Skull Island that Kong is strong, but most importantly also smart and cunning- he uses improvised weapons, shows curiosity towards humans and human creations, and kindness towards non-aggressive creatures in distress. The implication seems to be he's taken on humanity as a substitute family having lost his own. Compared to the other Kaiju, there's a nearly unique element of being able to relate to and to some extent communicate with humans.

Weirdly enough, Rampage seemed to clearly show the potential in the King Kong analogue George; compared to the other mutant animals, he's almost unchanged from his original albino gorilla form besides simply being bigger, but he is one of the most dangerous thanks to his intelligence, cunning and having hands, as he uses improvised weapons, advantageous terrain and spots and capitalises on weaknesses. Compared to the heavily mutated Ralph and Lizzy's sheer bulk and might.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The stranded pilot specifically says that the native people of Skull Island specifically consider Kong to be the island's king, and a pretty good one at that.

There is a bit of emphasis in Skull Island that Kong is strong, but most importantly also smart and cunning- he uses improvised weapons, shows curiosity towards humans and human creations, and kindness towards non-aggressive creatures in distress. The implication seems to be he's taken on humanity as a substitute family having lost his own. Compared to the other Kaiju, there's a nearly unique element of being able to relate to and to some extent communicate with humans.

Weirdly enough, Rampage seemed to clearly show the potential in the King Kong analogue George; compared to the other mutant animals, he's almost unchanged from his original albino gorilla form besides simply being bigger, but he is one of the most dangerous thanks to his intelligence, cunning and having hands, as he uses improvised weapons, advantageous terrain and spots and capitalises on weaknesses. Compared to the heavily mutated Ralph and Lizzy's sheer bulk and might.

And apparently a big plot point of King is that the ecoterrorist lady has a machine that lets her communicate with the kaiju.

Godzilla was a pretty wily fighter in G14, too. Not to the extent of improvising weapons, but it showed if you paid attention that Godzilla learned how the Mutos fought as the battle went on. The male had a predictable hit and run approach that worked throughout the movie until Godzilla feinted and dropped the hammer when the Muto took the bait, and of course he learned that the female was too heavily armored for a straightforward blast of atomic breath to kill and so he found a weak point in her armor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

And apparently a big plot point of King is that the ecoterrorist lady has a machine that lets her communicate with the kaiju.

Godzilla was a pretty wily fighter in G14, too. Not to the extent of improvising weapons, but it showed if you paid attention that Godzilla learned how the Mutos fought as the battle went on. The male had a predictable hit and run approach that worked throughout the movie until Godzilla feinted and dropped the hammer when the Muto took the bait, and of course he learned that the female was too heavily armored for a straightforward blast of atomic breath to kill and so he found a weak point in her armor.

Oddly enough both movies end with the protagonist monster realising the only real weakness of the monster progenitor is straight down the throat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Legendary Goji also realized he has arms and he likes to use them for more than swatting planes and clapping.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Legendary Goji also realized he has arms and he likes to use them for more than swatting planes and clapping.

Also occasionally dancing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Even the tiny glimpses we've gotten of King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan really hammer home just how lame and devoid of personality the MUTOs were.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the MUTOS but that's mostly for their moment of romance

They're very much the filler enemies you beat up until the boss shows up

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Burkion posted:

They don't even have names!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The more times I watch the trailer, the more excited I get. My last 25 years in the fandom have led directly to this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Burkion posted:

How many 'filler' monsters have Godzilla movies had? For that matter, how many start out relatively one-dimensional and get more nuance added later? I felt the MUTOs were pretty interesting designs, and necessarily demonstrated that the Kaiju aren't just one-off things, but are/were part of a full ecosystem, something expanded on in Skull Island.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

I always enjoy it when films like this appear to be so much better than they have any right to be. I predict this will easily make a billion dollars.

And whoever put this trailer together needs recognization; it's easily the best one in years.

Edit: I love the tagline "Long live the King" as well. Goddamn I'm so hyped for this.

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 22, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cythereal posted:

I think a suit of powered armor might be more in order, given that he'd be facing a Godzilla who's prevailed over this apocalyptic clusterfuck, even if he needs Mothra's and humanity's help to do it.

And this mechanical suit, plus application of Godzilla's weakness to lightning, allows Kong to prevail until Godzilla reminds him that their squabbling is killing Mothra.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How many 'filler' monsters have Godzilla movies had? For that matter, how many start out relatively one-dimensional and get more nuance added later? I felt the MUTOs were pretty interesting designs, and necessarily demonstrated that the Kaiju aren't just one-off things, but are/were part of a full ecosystem, something expanded on in Skull Island.

The MUTOs, Orga, Titanosaurus...the sea lice from '84....that's it, really. Nobody wants to see Big G fight a bunch of chumps.

e: oh yeah, the mangy-rear end bird from Ebirah. The internet says its name is "Daikondoro", which I believe translates to "radish doro"

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 22, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The music choice on the new Godzilla trailer was loving genius. I love how the confident, hopeful tune of it playing over images of murky mass destruction meant that the film's kaijus are the only things that can literally save Earth's biosphere from being annihilated by humans. It's just majestic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What's the song that played over the trailer? I remember the old electric piano used to have it as the demonstration song for the electric keyboard mode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What's the song that played over the trailer? I remember the old electric piano used to have it as the demonstration song for the electric keyboard mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxpELpvjMA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thanks.

On some further thought... seems like the Skull Islanders' relationship with Kong might be a smaller version of what humanity's relationship with Godzilla could be like, at least from humanity's perspective.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, G14 had Monarch outright call Godzilla a god, and if anything this feels to me like humanity giving the cranky old kaiju a friendly but respectful nickname. Kong on the other hand was only an adolescent in Skull Island, and I got the distinct impression he isn't King Kong yet - but he will be when he grows up.

Human beings in a mob
What's a mob to a King Kong?
What's a king to a Godzilla?
What's a Godzilla to a three-headed monster?
Who don't believe in anything?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The MUTOs, Orga, Titanosaurus...the sea lice from '84....that's it, really. Nobody wants to see Big G fight a bunch of chumps.

e: oh yeah, the mangy-rear end bird from Ebirah. The internet says its name is "Daikondoro", which I believe translates to "radish doro"

Titanosaur had a cool look he was just a tier below in power. You mentioned the bird from ebirah but what about ebirah itself. Oh no a giant lobster....! The octopus from GvK was more threatening and only a bit part.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They don't even have names!

According to Edwards in an interview, that was actually deliberate. The Mutos were built from the ground up as a pair of monsters, neither one capable of giving Godzilla much of a fight on their own but much more dangerous together. Edwards considered them basically one monster that happens to have two bodies, and said that if Toho ever uses them again they'll remember that Muto is meant to be two different but complementary critters designed to work together.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love how Clair de Lune in the trailer echos the twins singing for Mothra. Those voices bring me back.

This movie is going to be amazing if this much love and care is already present.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Do they never refer to Kong as King Kong in this universe?

If not then Kong is gonna win and be crowned King Kong.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Scyantific posted:

I mean just look at the SIZE of this motherfucker jfc :stare:

Never have I wanted to see a movie in IMAX more than when I saw this. Holy gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Szmitten posted:

Do they never refer to Kong as King Kong in this universe?

If not then Kong is gonna win and be crowned King Kong.

Sort of. He's never directly called King Kong, but he's referred to a number of times as king of Skull Island.

It's been a thing in these movies that the kaiju were (or are, in the case of Kong) worshiped. Kong and Mothra are revered as protectors. Rodan and Ghidorah are feared as destructive monsters. Godzilla is seen as an amoral force of nature.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Never have I wanted to see a movie in IMAX more than when I saw this. Holy gently caress.

I am actually tempted to get to the IMAX theatre half an hour into town for this.

I didn't even bow to that temptation for Infinity War.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Looks like Mike Dougherty is going all out with his nerd references in this

https://twitter.com/TheSpencerPerry/status/1021054343208939521?s=19

https://twitter.com/TheSpencerPerry/status/1021054515225690112?s=19

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xguard86 posted:

Titanosaur had a cool look he was just a tier below in power. You mentioned the bird from ebirah but what about ebirah itself. Oh no a giant lobster....! The octopus from GvK was more threatening and only a bit part.

That Octopus has a name and a VERY weird history. He is Oodako and possibly my favorite obscure kaiju

Like his debut is fighting King Kong in King Kong VS Godzilla, then he goes on to star in his own mini movie in Ultra Q, then he goes to kill Frankenstein's monster in Frankenstein Conquers the World, before getting into a grudge match with one of Frankenstein's monsters children in loving War of the Gargantuans, and then in a kids book he teams up with Godzilla to fight the navy.

He was also in Skull Island ahead of every other Toho kaiju except Godzilla himself.

Oodako is the best

Also for the record, the giant condor from Sea Monster is literally called

The Giant Condor.

He has a cousin named the Giant Eagle who shows up in Godzilla's Revenge, but is literally just him because they just used stock footage of him and his fight and called him a different kaiju

Also the Yog Trio are *SUPER* filler kaiju.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's also the first time we've seen one kaiju specifically predating on another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Looks like Mike Dougherty is going all out with his nerd references in this

https://twitter.com/TheSpencerPerry/status/1021054343208939521?s=19

If you thought Schrader and Harlin's prequel takes took some liberties......