Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

(as per Fetus in the discord) lead designer said they designed the Octoling girls to be sexy even though they’re like 14

That is pretty creepy.

GO TEAM SQUID! :woomy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Why are they still playing the game and spending so much time with it if they’re so insanely grossed out by the “sexualization” of the characters

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
For the record, the word that Fetus translated as "sexy" can also mean other things, and in the context of the answer, was used as an opposite of "boyish." As in, Inklings' animations are more boyish, while Octolings' animations are more <that word>.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 22, 2018

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
That makes more sense. More graceful and reserved or whatever.

still, go team squid

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Escobarbarian posted:

(as per Fetus in the discord) lead designer said they designed the Octoling girls to be sexy even though they’re like 14

Basically in the interview the interviewer brings out that the octolings are more wiggly in their motions and asks if it is down to their nature, which Inoue attributes on the dexterous nature of the octopuses, so they have a more grown-up image than the regular boyish inklings and thus feel - and I quote - "a little sexy". The interviewer then brings out that according to lore, they're 14, which Inoue confirms, but I guess due to the mysterious origins of the octolings, his memory is hazy on the subject as to why.

So two points you could make from this: one would be that octolings were designed based on the characteristics of octopuses, making them more maturer in nature than the childish inklings. The other would be that Inoue is a weirdo. But really, we're missing the bigger story in this interview and that's the fact Squid Squad had broken up and taken solo careers!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

For the record, the word that Fetus translated as "sexy" can also mean other things, and in the context of the answer, was used as an opposite of "boyish." As in, Inklings' animations are more boyish, while Octolings' animations are more <that word>.

Yeah, that's the whole thing in a few sentences.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm loving in love with the heavy splatling deco. It's so good at just denying space and blowing up squids who make a wrong move. It helps that Arrowana Mall is in the rotation right now, so you can just take the high ground and spray and pray poo poo.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Octos are goths, Inklings is jocks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The next grizz weapon should be the inkjet's gun, just as a normal ground-based weapon instead of flying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Managed to fight 50 matches overall in this Splatfest (going out now til after it ends) and got 23/27 W/L, which isn’t as bad as I’d expected. Not sure how many were against squid, but I’d say at least 70%.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Smiles posted:

anniversary weapon check-innnn

Riding this train all the way

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just figured that the Octolings are meant to be slightly more mature than the Inklings, as mentioned the difference shows in the victory and defeat animations; Inklings literally jump for joy or throw ridiculous tantrums, while Octolings show off or slump in dismay.

Was funny that the Inkling victory animations in Smash Bros Ultimate are apparently far more respectful than they are in their own game.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just played Triggerfish 10 times in a row, someone help

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AfroGunsou posted:

I hope the next splatoon game is a spinoff of some kind. I would like to experience more of the splatoon world in different genres

I think you could do interesting stuff with the ink mechanics in a strategy game

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Recycle the BOTW Engine to make Splatoon Odyssey.

According to scrolls, ink disappears "immediately" after a turf war so you'd always have stuff to ink. Rain changes from a huge drag to a mortal threat. Shines are just rehashed Octo Expansion type levels. Make ink colors do different things. Remove weapon degradation.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Is Marina one of those special campaign octolings since she has giant tentacle hair? Her old profile from Cuttlefish made her look like one.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I can't see a Splatoon spinoff that isn't essentially a freshness themed version of Style Savvy.

With Squid Beatz on the side.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Splatfest is over. Results in the next rotation, which is in two hours.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Do a Mario + Rabbids style tactical game for Splatoon. You're training up a Squidbeak Splatoon to fight Octarians/Salmonids/whatever. You can have a ton of fun movement options with the ink spreading and super jumps.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
The map was so even I didn't want to take any chances
https://twitter.com/TheScribbleKid/status/1020671444735234049

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

This is next level.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Dear Nintendo: Please make a Splatoon Pro Skater spinoff, thankyou

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Nice job! :woomy:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I hate grenades:

https://mm.bonzoesc.net/media_attachments/files/000/096/971/original/679f4790b189e271.mp4

I love grenades:

https://mm.bonzoesc.net/media_attachments/files/000/096/972/original/222ce45dbf5dc9ab.mp4

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Smiles posted:

anniversary weapon check-innnn

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:staredog:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

2-1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

God damnit. I guess that was to be expected though, since Octo was obviously going to get the popular vote.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pearl is unstoppable.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
how do people beat the octo expansion and then lose?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

how do people beat the octo expansion and then lose?

You got to play as an Octo if you picked them, even if you don’t have the expansion

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
That's a shame, history repeats itself and all that. Playable salmonid splatfest next year?

Cue argument about how splatfests should REALLY be scored.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serenade posted:

Recycle the BOTW Engine to make Splatoon Odyssey.

According to scrolls, ink disappears "immediately" after a turf war so you'd always have stuff to ink. Rain changes from a huge drag to a mortal threat. Shines are just rehashed Octo Expansion type levels. Make ink colors do different things. Remove weapon degradation.

Splatoon Sunshine

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What a lovely video game

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

What a lovely video game

i like it, op

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Octatonic posted:

i like it, op

I'd like it more if the Octos won! :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

You got to play as an Octo if you picked them, even if you don’t have the expansion

Also you don't even have to play through the majority of Octo Expansion to unlock Octolings.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well I felt like it was the most positive and heart warming race war I'd ever participated in so I'm ok with being on the losing side of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
None of those results surprise me. (Though the popularity was considerably closer than I expected.)

Another interesting tidbit from the interview. Salmon Run hasn't really gotten many updates, and there was one big reason for that. The person in charge of that game mode decided to help out with Octo Expansion full time. Now that Octo Expansion is out, he's hoping to maybe do something more with it.