Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If Okada starts coming out dressed like Juice is when we'll need to be worried, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've enjoyed the entire show tonight but you're absolutely right this was the "worst" night so far. Everything felt like it was cut off too early or didn't get a chance to get going, outside of Elgin/YOSHI-HASHI which somehow might have been the best match of the night. That's crazy.

Worst night is all relevant when you're talking about NJPW and the G1 Climax but I was definitely very bored at times which is rare with NJPW. In the past year I'd have this as the third worst show after Destruction in Hiroshima(? whichever one had Suzuki/Elgin) and Wrestling Hinokuni and that includes random Korakuen shows.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
This night will be known as the Night Tacos had the best match, and Okada yelling out SCOOBY DOOBY DOO

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tour's off for three days before resuming on thursday. next B block show looks solid while friday's A block night might be the weakest night of the tour on paper

upcoming shows:

G1 Climax Night 8
July 26th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Ao-re Nagaoka, Niigata

Michael Elgin and Ren Narita vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and El Desperado)
L.I.J (EVIL and BUSHI) vs. BC Elite (Hangman Page and Chase Owens)
CHAOS (Jay White and YOH) vs. BC OG (Bad Luck Fale and Tanga Loa)
Hiroshi Tanahashi and David Finlay vs. Togi Makabe and Toa Henare
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Gedo) vs. CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI and SHO)
G1 Climax Block B Match:Hirooki Goto [2] vs. Toru Yano [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Tetsuya Naito [4] vs. Tama Tonga [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Tomohiro Ishii [4] vs. Zack Sabre Jr [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Juice Robinson [0] vs. Kenny Omega [6]
G1 Climax Block B Match:SANADA [4] vs. Kota Ibushi [4]

G1 Climax Night 9
July 27th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Act City Hamamatsu, Shizuoka

Toa Henare and Shota Umino vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOH)
GoD vs. Suzuki-gun (Zack Sabre Jr. and TAKA Michinoku)
David Finlay and Juice Robinson vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano and Jado)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and SHO) vs. Kota Ibushi and Yujiro Takahashi
BC Elite (Kenny Omega and Chase Owens) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and SANADA)
G1 Climax Block A Match:Michael Elgin [4] vs. Minoru Suzuki [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:EVIL [6] vs. Hangman Page [2]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Jay White [6] vs. Bad Luck Fale [2]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi [6] vs. Togi Makabe [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Kazuchika Okada [4] vs. YOSHI-HASHI [2]

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Thauros posted:

next B block show looks solid while friday's A block night might be the weakest night of the tour on paper

I bet EVIL/Elgin and Suzuki/Page will be pretty good but the rest of them I'm not expecting much out of. Maybe a main event will get Yoshi as motivated as he was tonight and it won't just be a 12 minute Okada win that never leaves first gear, but who knows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do like that it looks more and more like The Firing Squad's big feud isn't going to be with Bullet Club but LIJ

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Shoenin posted:

This night will be known as the Night Tacos had the best match, and Okada yelling out SCOOBY DOOBY DOO

he's been doing the Scooby Dooby Doo thing for a while now. started while he was teaming with Chuckie T during the New Japan Cup tour i think

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm pretty certain the first time he did it was during last years G1 special.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wanna see one g1 match on night 9, to be doggone honest

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dordreff posted:

he's been doing the Scooby Dooby Doo thing for a while now. started while he was teaming with Chuckie T during the New Japan Cup tour i think

He yelled it during the post-match speech tonight I think.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Just caught up with last night's show; Elgin and HASHI doing the Misterio/Guerrero spot was laughably bad.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Ya know a few people in this thread saying this was the worst night of G1 so far but I thought it was very enjoyable. V:frogbon:V

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

fart blood posted:

Ya know a few people in this thread saying this was the worst night of G1 so far but I thought it was very enjoyable. V:frogbon:V

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Thauros posted:

G1 Climax Block B Match:SANADA [4] vs. Kota Ibushi [4]
:vince:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kota finally defending his Handsome Battle Championship that he won at WK12. (I guess I'd accept SCOH as a successful defence)

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I was out on Okada's balloons until I saw him hit Rocky.

In some ways a weak night but was still very entertained. The quieter shows with shorter matches are kind of a nice pallet cleanser for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh poo poo i thought last nights card was tonight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

New Japan's camera crews are Good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Watched everything I missed. That Goto vs Ishii match was dope as hell for sure. Also I'm amazed by YOSHI-loving-HASHI, Rowdy Ringsports Favorite pulling a really good match with Big Idiot Elgin out of his rear end. Is... is YOSHI-HASHI good now...????

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

extradite THIS! posted:

Watched everything I missed. That Goto vs Ishii match was dope as hell for sure. Also I'm amazed by YOSHI-loving-HASHI, Rowdy Ringsports Favorite pulling a really good match with Big Idiot Elgin out of his rear end. Is... is YOSHI-HASHI good now...????

No, but knowing he's going over probably makes him put a lot more effort into not looking like he's lost and confused.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

extradite THIS! posted:

Nah. Michael Elgin is a garbage human but he has good matches with everyone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yoshi's not bad, just dull most of the time. It's like Dolph Ziggler. Ziggles is capable of having good matches, he just doesn't most of the time because his gimmick is so played out and his spots are done better by other people.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Draxion posted:

No, but knowing he's going over probably makes him put a lot more effort into not looking like he's lost and confused.

He has the Randy Orton/Nikki Bella face where you can tell whether they're winning or not based on their entrance

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I wasn't able to watch today's show, I take it Yosh-hashi/elgin and white/suzuki are the only matches worth watching?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd skip White/Suzuki too.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I feel like Yoshi hashi should be in Suzuki Gun. He has an ugly and mean looking face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You should watch Okada/Makabe, it's a good if too short match but the bonus is watching Okada continue to unravel post-Championship reign.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Draxion posted:

YOSHI-HASHI in his car the night before a league match yelling AM I loving GOING OVER into his phone and then getting that resigned look on his face again

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goddamnit. Of course there's a three day break the same three days my girlfriend is out of town and I have the place to myself.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
MVP of the tournament for me is Ishii, he's like Blue Panther in his prime, a guy who is just so genuinely great that he moves the baseline up in all his matches so high that said greatness just gets taken for granted because it's always there. He has good matches with everyone, but when he gets in there with someone who's equally great, then it shows how creative and brilliant he is in that ring. G1 is when he really gets to feature that, similar for how it is with Kushida in BOSJ the last few years. When we see him with other people at his level of creativity in say Kenny, Shibata, Okada or Naito that we all remember how incredible he really is. And yet for some reason he's never perceived as the guy who can win the whole thing or carry the heavyweight strap.

I started watching New Japan after a 10+ year break with the 2012 G1 as parts of it were shown on a japanese cable channel here. I dug it and started following it casually, mostly for Tanahashi at that point until the next year when Ishii vs Shibata made me a true believer. Their matches all ruled but the first time they did their own take on that Choshu- Hashimoto no sell lariat spot was some poo poo I had never seen anyone do before in quite that way. And all their matches had moments like that, all his matches with equally great opponents do.

So far Ishii/Goto and Ishii/Naito have been my favorite matches, after Ishii I've been loving ZSJ and Ibushi the most this year. i mention that because we've still got Ishii vs both those dudes, plus him vs Sanada and Kenny so it's not like he's going to slow down from here on out either. Hell even Ishii vs Juice should be incredible, one of the reasons I love Juice's run so much right now is we can literally see him learning in every match, and getting better night after night. Ishii will be his second to last match (assuming he doesn't head into the finals) and so I think there's a high chance it'll be Juice's best match.

I think when the scores are tallied he's going to be the most common denominator in great matches across the entire G1.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ishii rules and until okadas insane run of defenses he was the best NJPW wrestler.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Ishii was also Okada's gatekeeper

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
This is my first G1 and I'm having such a blast with it.

It's been such a great way to familiarise myself with some wrestlers I'd previously had no exposure to. It's also totally changed my opinions on some of the guys I wasn't too fussed about going into it.

I just don't want it to end!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Pitwar posted:

This is my first G1 and I'm having such a blast with it.

It's been such a great way to familiarise myself with some wrestlers I'd previously had no exposure to. It's also totally changed my opinions on some of the guys I wasn't too fussed about going into it.

I just don't want it to end!

The G1 is Christmas in July! It's honestly the best time to get into New Japan!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:hai:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Must be interesting for people to jump in during the G1 as you see the biggest stars have 9-10 singles matches in a month, then maybe get 3 out of them the rest of the year.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Or in Ishii’s case, a bunch of tag matches that will maybe lead to a singles in some other company on another continent

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Or in Ishii’s case, a bunch of tag matches that will maybe lead to a singles in some other company on another continent

I'm not complaining. I get to see him wrestle WALTER and then Juice on successive days. (it was supposed to be WALTER and then Riddle)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Must be interesting for people to jump in during the G1 as you see the biggest stars have 9-10 singles matches in a month, then maybe get 3 out of them the rest of the year.

As long as those 3 remaining matches deliver and the product is well booked, I’m fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

:hf:

• Locked thread