Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

if he understood how the car worked, why not?

I'd guess you would be surprised how many mechanics are out there with no drivers license.

Yeah, but why don't they have license, because they don't know how to drive, or they do dumb poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

Yeah, but why don't they have license, because they don't know how to drive, or they do dumb poo poo?

I would argue doing dumb poo poo counts as not knowing how to drive as much as it counts as not knowing how to computer.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

guppy posted:

The thought process is always that since developers are good at one computer thing (coding), they must be good at other computer things. Not only does this not logically follow, but it presupposes that the developers are, in fact, good at coding. I have known some tremendously lovely coders.

I came very close to yelling at our programmer who refused to believe his lovely way of tabbing through the fields in this app that he doesn't use was not the superior option. I was just asking for it to work like every windows application ever made, nothing weird. He's the type that if HE doesn't know how to do it, it's impossible. He's also told me that another app we have not supporting keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste (ancient application on life support we have no replacement for) was fine since apparently the ctrl+key keyboard shortcuts are "just a Windows thing" Well motherfucker we're a Windows shop. Xerox PARC made copy/paste and the Key+XCV keys have been pretty goddamn standard overall since the Apple Lisa. Just stop being lazy!

Another common conversation: "I don't know WHY ANYONE would want it to work that way. " *lists three valid reasons we use it that way* "Well you can just do it this bass ackwards way I already wrote!" "No!"

E:
I've also thoroughly been dispelled of the notion that "Smart in one area means smart overall" the amount of PhDs that can't regularly type their own name correctly is astounding. They've been using computers as a main tool of their trade longer than I've been alive, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for "they're new to them"

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 21, 2018

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

They've been using computers as a main tool of their trade longer than I've been alive, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for "they're new to them"

Not saying you're wrong, but "using computers" decades ago and "using computers" today are pretty different things. The only thing they have in common is that computers suck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also let's not forget that everything you're saying about developers is also true of sysadmins, perhaps just not the ones you work with.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

OneTruePecos posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but "using computers" decades ago and "using computers" today are pretty different things. The only thing they have in common is that computers suck.

I'll grant maybe that the transition from whatever they used to Windows may have been a tough shift, but this company had Windows 98 and we're on Windows 7 currently, so two decades of a fairly similar computer interface. The only real UI change for them has been the shift from Netware to AD.

I have to imagine typewriter repairmen had their own brand of bullshit to deal with.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also let's not forget that everything you're saying about developers is also true of sysadmins, perhaps just not the ones you work with.

Oh yeah. It can be everywhere at every level. One of the sysadmins at another site sent us 30 VOIP phones. Just dumped them all in an old paper towel cardboard box without any sort of padding or anything and slapped a shipping label on it. It's a miracle the box made it at all, all split down the sides and 50% Fedex tape.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

PirateDentist posted:

I'll grant maybe that the transition from whatever they used to Windows may have been a tough shift, but this company had Windows 98 and we're on Windows 7 currently, so two decades of a fairly similar computer interface. The only real UI change for them has been the shift from Netware to AD.

I have to imagine typewriter repairmen had their own brand of bullshit to deal with.

Oh yeah. It can be everywhere at every level. One of the sysadmins at another site sent us 30 VOIP phones. Just dumped them all in an old paper towel cardboard box without any sort of padding or anything and slapped a shipping label on it. It's a miracle the box made it at all, all split down the sides and 50% Fedex tape.

I once shipped a NetApp filer via UPS. I said, “this thing is fragile and very heavy and I need you to package this thing as carefully as possible. Can you handle this?”

After getting yeah yeah sure sured out of the shop I got an email from the eBay recipient with pictures. The device looked like it was smashed with a bat and had blown out all for corners of the box. Apparently the hundred pound -ish device was wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap and the single-walled box filled with peanuts like you would ship a highball glass or something.

Mercifully I elected to take insurance and I had pictures of the unit when I dropped it off so I ended up making money on the transaction.

Sill, UPS: you had ONEJOB TO DO.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

I once shipped a NetApp filer via UPS.

:eyepop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, friend.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

It is a fun thing to read.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway, friend.

I guess it's more about the whole "I dropped this off at UPS and hoped they'd package it correctly" aspect.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the only way to ship something like that when you don't have the original box is to rack it in a flight case and strap it to a pallet

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We're doing a server room move this weekend and we're now in the phase of "verify everything is up and do client cabling"

We talked the client down from doing four fibre runs per desktop to only two fibre runs per desktop. Yesterday we moved two racks worth of hardware, now it's a time to run a couple of hundred cables.

But on Monday I'll have an offer from a new company in hand :unsmith:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 22, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the only way to ship something like that when you don't have the original box is to rack it in a flight case and strap it to a pallet

Ordinarily I would take this to a freight company and have them build a new crate for it. But in this case the NetApp has been retired and I was eBaying it, so there was no way I was spending $600 on shipping.

My logic was that if it made the trip safely I get the buyer’s money and if it didn’t I’d get the insurance money. :shepspends:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pr0digal posted:

We're doing a server room move this weekend and we're now in the phase of "verify everything is up and do client cabling"

We talked the client down from doing four fibre runs per desktop to only two fibre runs per desktop. Yesterday we moved two racks worth of hardware, now it's a time to run a couple of hundred cables.

But on Monday I'll have an offer from a new company in hand :unsmith:

Fibre runs to desktop? What the gently caress?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Wibla posted:

Because sometimes you need that 10g goodness.

To your file server spinning 5400rpm WD Greens.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Video editing suites it's pretty common to see fibre run out to the workstations to connect them back to a SAN, and then an ethernet drop for internet access, file shares etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wibla posted:

There was a place we had 10 megabit fiber runs, because all the different RF ovens and equipment in the shop basically made ethernet not work.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Video editing suites it's pretty common to see fibre run out to the workstations to connect them back to a SAN, and then an ethernet drop for internet access, file shares etc.

Got it in one. Dual 16 gig fibre (channel) runs for SAN connectivity (though it's 8 gig at the client side). Then one connection for metadata and one connection for house network.

SAN is ~700TB with 7200 RPM drives.

In an almost complete 180 to what I do currently I got a job offer to be a security analyst at a cloud security company.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 22, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wibla posted:

Video editing is a hell of a thing. I have personally installed like a dozen of these setups over the years and it’s shocking how it’s basically a requirement. It’s just a better option to having so much storage local to the desktop at all times.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In certain high-security environments it can also be a requirement for TEMPEST

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

pr0digal posted:

Got it in one. Dual 16 gig fibre (channel) runs for SAN connectivity (though it's 8 gig at the client side). Then one connection for metadata and one connection for house network.

SAN is ~700TB with 7200 RPM drives.

In an almost complete 180 to what I do currently I got a job offer to be a security analyst at a cloud security company.
Grats on the :yotj: man. That's a similar path to what I hope to follow soon.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sickening posted:

Video editing is a hell of a thing. I have personally installed like a dozen of these setups over the years and it’s shocking how it’s basically a requirement. It’s just a better option to having so much storage local to the desktop at all times.

We have a couple of clients starting to work in 4K (one futzed around with 8K steroscopic) and have deployed a few of the 32 gig brocade switches.

Largest single SAN volume I've deployed was around 1.6 PB for the DR with the production volume being 1.3 PB. That SAN is currently at 99% capacity and the client is looking into getting more storage.

Arquinsiel posted:

Grats on the :yotj: man. That's a similar path to what I hope to follow soon.

Thanks! I applied to the job on a whim and (per the internal recruiter) really made an impression. Apparently having 8 years of sysadmin/engineering experience can be helpful for a security analyst role.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spankmeister posted:

In certain high-security environments it can also be a requirement for TEMPEST

Yeah, I've worked with that poo poo before, in the navy. All workstations were on fibre, and laptops needed a media converter with a very short ethernet cable.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wibla posted:

Yeah, I've worked with that poo poo before, in the navy. All workstations were on fibre, and laptops needed a media converter with a very short ethernet cable.

Kinda surprising they didn't just order the laptops with an SFP cage.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Who makes that ?

I have some document somewhere about fiber to the desktop cost analysis and its always been more.

If this went in , in the late 90s, itd be lovely OM1/OM2 hand term 62.5u MMF and useless. If we went for single mode it would be good cable wise but the optics are still $$$$ .

But now it’s 2018 and NEC/NFPA is going to push LV comms to electricians so even the copper is megabux to install correctly.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Kinda surprising they didn't just order the laptops with an SFP cage.

You can even get laptops with that? Pretty sure you couldn't back in 2005, heh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PirateDentist posted:

I came very close to yelling at our programmer who refused to believe his lovely way of tabbing through the fields in this app that he doesn't use was not the superior option. I was just asking for it to work like every windows application ever made, nothing weird. He's the type that if HE doesn't know how to do it, it's impossible. He's also told me that another app we have not supporting keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste (ancient application on life support we have no replacement for) was fine since apparently the ctrl+key keyboard shortcuts are "just a Windows thing" Well motherfucker we're a Windows shop. Xerox PARC made copy/paste and the Key+XCV keys have been pretty goddamn standard overall since the Apple Lisa. Just stop being lazy!

Another common conversation: "I don't know WHY ANYONE would want it to work that way. " *lists three valid reasons we use it that way* "Well you can just do it this bass ackwards way I already wrote!" "No!"

E:
I've also thoroughly been dispelled of the notion that "Smart in one area means smart overall" the amount of PhDs that can't regularly type their own name correctly is astounding. They've been using computers as a main tool of their trade longer than I've been alive, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for "they're new to them"

Lmao if I didn't know better i'd say you worked with me.

Or you work with a very particular developer of office software for a retailer in the UK who is currently on holiday.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Programmers are very, very much not designers. They can make functional user interfaces, but not good ones.

It took me very long to get even slightly ok-ish at it. :shobon:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Back in my student assistant days I once had a dev ask me if he needed to shutdown his computer before I installed more RAM. That was my dev skillset wakeup call.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I once had a password reset ticket for a developer that turned out to be for her hotmail account. Because her "password manager" was BonziBUDDY. After explaining what happened, reimaging her PC, and getting her back up and running... another ticket came in.

"Please help reinstall password manager". :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I'm betting I get at least one more email by Monday about something else they hosed up or forgot to program in.

Update: they had us send someone back this morning because while trying to remotely update the configuration they managed to wipe the system SD card somehow. Starting to think this company may not entirely know what they’re doing. :toot:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"Need more toner on the (location redacted) color pizza."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kensei posted:

I imagine the answer is no, but can you share more?
The employee had provided some of his work done within the company to a friend of his for (according to his story) reference material for entering a design competition. The friend had then made some apparently superficial changes, entered the work in the competition, won against our corporate competitors in the industry, then had that work appear online and in national print media. Our company had apparently failed to qualify(?) for the competition, so the brass were understandably pretty pissed off once someone recognised our work.

The employee in question had already given a notice of resignation so the optics were bad. Management sat him down talking about taking him to court over IP theft. So, in a panic he pulls me aside and say he's got like two emails that definitively tie him to having made an appointment to meet this guy and what are the possibilities of me removing those emails from the system so that it doesn't look like he did all of this on purpose.

Of course I tell him that a) I'm not going to sacrifice my career for his, and b) it's absolutely impossible to do what he wants because we have off-site backups and auditing for precisely this purpose and deleting the emails is not only provable but will definitely make it look like he did it on purpose and tried to cover it up. I told him his only option was to plead guilty due to gross incompetence and just pray that it's satisfying enough to them that he won't end up in court, and if he's just lucky enough he might come out the other side without a reference instead of without a career.

He seems to have managed it because rather than march him out of the building that afternoon they're giving him a quiet boot at the end of this week.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
- Eating breakfast at my desk before my shift
- Phone rings before the lines are officially open
- *gently caress it* *clocks in* "It Helpdesk"
- Site A is down
- *pings sites B and C on same MPLS circuit, both are down*
- Calls Comcast
- COMCAST'S SUPPORT LINES ARE DOWN WHAT THE gently caress
- Comcast rep isn't picking up the phone either
- Comcast support lines eventually come back up
- "Oh, we contracted this circuit out to Charter, tier 1 can't see poo poo, we'll have a network engineer call you back"
- Sites B and C start responding, A still unresponsive
- Tier 2 calls
- "Charter had an outage, it's fixed now, here's my number in case there's anything else"
- Sites B and C stop responding again
- Calls T2 guy
- "Oh poo poo, let me look into that"
- Realize site A never came back up because the jankey-rear end no-airflow server room got so loving hot over the weekend the APC shut down and killed power
- Rebooted APC, site A is probably (temporarily) fixed, but A, B, C still not responding
- Call Comcast back near the end of the day
- "Charter says an ariel line is damaged and needs to be replaced, no ETA"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

:kingsley: Critical! Help! I cannot ssh into our super important server!
:eng101: It looks like your authentication is failing. What changed?
:kingsley: Well I deleted a bunch of old keys from [file location] but...
:eng101: do you have a snapshot or backups?
:kingsley: No. We’ll just kill the server.

So wait a second. You have a critical workload running on a single instance and not an ASG with no snapshotting or backups. It's simultaneously: "HELP - this one single single server is down and its SUPER important that you bring it bak!" and also "Meh, no biggy, let's just trash the server."

Yeah, the "HELP, it's important! Just kidding #LetsTrashIt" is a perfect urgent use case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had a team of devs that couldn't work out how to clear old entries from the trusted hosts lists when they replaced a server and reused the hostname. That was a sev 1 "everything is on fire it must be the network" ticket.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got assigned to finish documentation on a project I didn't work on! Apparently my co-workers who did work on the project couldn't be bothered so it got punted to me.

:tif:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pr0digal posted:

Got assigned to finish documentation on a project I didn't work on! Apparently my co-workers who did work on the project couldn't be bothered so it got punted to me.

:tif:

Can you get me some coffee jeeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

"Hello $USER, please confirm that this issue is resolved."

"k"

Well alright then.