Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's what I'm hoping for, too. Let's have more of the Second Doctor's school of thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

Matt Smith took so much of his portrayal from Troughton.

(This is a good thing, I hasten to add)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's what I'm hoping for, too. Let's have more of the Second Doctor's school of thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

Goddamn, Troughton just ruled so loving much.

"They sleep in my mind..." is such a great line.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I genuinely like all the various portrayals of the Doctor (whether they were in stories I actually liked is a different kettle of fish), but I'd have to say the Second and Fourth Doctors are tied for my "favorite Doctor" spot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really sad that we're missing so many of Troughton's serials. I could have watched seven seasons of him, Jaime and Zoe. I love Tom's run, but I think he kind of wears out his co-stars, whereas the chemistry between Two, Jaime and Zoe could have gone on forever.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm really sad that we're missing so many of Troughton's serials. I could have watched seven seasons of him, Jaime and Zoe. I love Tom's run, but I think he kind of wears out his co-stars, whereas the chemistry between Two, Jaime and Zoe could have gone on forever.

I'd agree with this; Tom Baker's Doctor was just an absolute force of nature as a personality, so whenever he was on screen he inevitably drew all the attention to himself. Whereas Troughton's Doctor was much more understated by comparison and had less of an issue sharing the limelight with other characters, so even the secondary figures in a story could get some good screen time in with him, and his companions (especially Jamie) could shine right alongside him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tom Baker's companions stood out just fine until his last season where he started picking up the people who were gonna travel with 5. If 2's Jamie plus Victoria/Zoe crew weren't around I would say 4 easily had the best companions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just caught Michael Jayston on an episode of Foyle’s War, and I recognised his voice before I saw him on screen. They definitely need to get him as an imperial admiral or something for Star Wars before he stops working. He’d have made a great Krennic from Rogue One.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 22, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

I just caught Michael Jayston on an episode of Foyle’s War, and I recognised his voice before I saw him on screen. They definitely need to get him as an imperial admiral or something for Star Wars before he stops working. He’d have made a great Krennic from Rogue One.

I was watching the BBC Docudrama "Egypt" on Netflix, and recognized Julian Wadham and Clive Merrison by their voices.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd agree with this; Tom Baker's Doctor was just an absolute force of nature as a personality, so whenever he was on screen he inevitably drew all the attention to himself. Whereas Troughton's Doctor was much more understated by comparison and had less of an issue sharing the limelight with other characters, so even the secondary figures in a story could get some good screen time in with him, and his companions (especially Jamie) could shine right alongside him.

After Sladen left, Baker wanted to go without a companion, and was slightly miffed when they said no. He carried The Deadly Assassin by himself, so maybe it would have worked.

Of course, he later suggested a morbidly obese woman as a companion, so his suggestions ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He also wanted a badger, or a talking cabbage as a companion

Love this artwork:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1021076925987598336

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 22, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gynovore posted:

He carried The Deadly Assassin by himself, so maybe it would have worked.

He spends the whole of the Deadly Assassin talking to himself to say the stuff he would say to a companion

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of Scottish Doctors, I’m actually kind of digging Dragonfire. Granted, my love for McCoy is probably coloring my perception, but the aesthetic is decent, Ace is great from her very first scene, and even Mel is alright.

Dragonfire is underrated. It along with Paradise Towers are far better for my money than the overloaded and meandering later stories like Curse of Fenric and Ghostlight. McCoy's Doctor is at his best when he's allowed to be a little silly.

The scene in Dragonfire where the Doctor bamboozles a guard by asking a series of circular existential questions is really funny. There's a similar one in Paradise Towers that's just as good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I’ll put Paradise Towers next on my list in that case. I personally prefer the darker, scheming 7 of the later seasons, but there’s no denying McCoy was great at playing the clown. I was a little surprised to hear him say in an interview that he specifically requested the clowning be toned down after his first season, given how adept he is at it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The scene in Dragonfire where the Doctor bamboozles a guard by asking a series of circular existential questions is really funny.

This scene is even better than what you're describing -- the guard ends up being a better existentialist that the Doctor can cope with, some he achieves largely by quoting excerpts from an (IIRC) overly pretentious Doctor Who essay book.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

This scene is even better than what you're describing -- the guard ends up being a better existentialist that the Doctor can cope with, some he achieves largely by quoting excerpts from an (IIRC) overly pretentious Doctor Who essay book.

Doctor Who :The Unfolding Text! Pretty sure a couple of copies have done the rounds for the Secret Santa.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s going to be a Doctor Who-themed escape room this December in Bristol (UK).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I want Tomb of the Cybermen -style lever puzzle doors or no sale.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Forktoss posted:

I want Tomb of the Cybermen -style lever puzzle doors or no sale.

Complete with someone on site telling you how to solve it and that you really shouldn't, no, wait, what are you...oh god no

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Two episodes into Terminus and it's all right but

(a) One really sees where the stereotype of old Who just being a lot of running around in corridors comes from.

(b) Is this some kind of last-story hazing for Sarah Sutton where she's made to wear progressively less and less as the show goes on until she's naked in her final scene?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Edward Mass posted:

There’s going to be a Doctor Who-themed escape room this December in Bristol (UK).

Hopefully they kick you out if you just try and use a sonic screwdriver to open the door.

Either way, mission accomplished. :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

(b) Is this some kind of last-story hazing for Sarah Sutton where she's made to wear progressively less and less as the show goes on until she's naked in her final scene?

Peter Davison: Well that's what I was promised.... :mad:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Flight Bisque posted:

Hopefully they kick you out if you just try and use a sonic screwdriver to open the door.

Either way, mission accomplished. :smug:

No, they should give you a sonic and then make sure it gets ruined immediately.

E: or just write THIS IS DEADLOCKED over each lock.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

docbeard posted:

(a) One really sees where the stereotype of old Who just being a lot of running around in corridors comes from.

Sutton admitted later that her vanishing clothes were fan service. "It was a parting gesture to all my fans who wanted to see the real Nyssa."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I still think Nyssa was hottest in her brown velour princess costume. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In a surprising twist, Big Finish just announced 3 more box sets of War Master stories, coming out this December, next July and Next December

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that the first one basically ends with the stage set for Utopia, but on the special features they were already saying,"Yeah we're totally gonna do more!" :3:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the first one basically ends with the stage set for Utopia, but on the special features they were already saying,"Yeah we're totally gonna do more!" :3:

Not even the Master can resist the pull of the Big Finish canteen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love that he's popping up in everything; his own spinoff, Gallifrey, UNIT, River Song...

I'd love for him to appear in a Time War box set, maybe off screen never actually meeting 8...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, though they've yet to announce it, there's at least one upcoming Missy boxset as well, with John Dorney writing a script that appears to be about King Henry's wives.

I badly want one of them to be Missy, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Open Source Idiom posted:

I badly want one of them to be Missy, but that's probably not gonna happen.

No, because she's obviously going to be all of them.

E: Except Jane Seymour who is going to be just a wax dummy

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Forktoss posted:

Ha!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going through the Matt Smith run and I don't remember disliking Clara Oswald. Did she have a bad introduction I don't remember or was she always a bit bad? I think Jenna Coleman is a very good actor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

I'm going through the Matt Smith run and I don't remember disliking Clara Oswald. Did she have a bad introduction I don't remember or was she always a bit bad? I think Jenna Coleman is a very good actor.

She has far better chemistry with Capaldi than Smith.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clara didn't turn into a good companion until after Matt Smith

She wasn't really allowed to be one until then

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's not really that much to her character in the Smith episodes as well; she gets a lot more development after. One of the things poor Deep Breath had working against it was that it had effectively had to introduce the new Doctor and the new Clara

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bessantj posted:

She's not bad - the character is just very inconsistent between the series.

With Smith, she's "Generic Aimiable Companion "The Impossible Girl" walking puzzle box".

When she's got that friction with with Capaldi, and they actually, you know, decided to give her a character, she gets a lot better.

That's not meant as a slight on Jenna Coleman, either, she's really good in the role - it's just the writing is all over the place.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Forktoss posted:

Catherine Howard is a CGI snake.

"But it's an audio play."
"So?"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It didn’t help that they had just done the companion who is the centre of a cosmic mystery with Amy. And modern Clara being a last minute change from Victorian nanny Clara.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Clara has an awful dynamic with the Smith Doctor (romantic tension which is always painful, she comes off as Amy-lite, extremely generic writing), but when Capaldi comes along they give her a properly meaty character that I think ends up making her the best modern companion.

She's unafraid to challenge 12 on his poo poo, and is just about as competent and clever as him, and just gets loads to do. At the same time she's believably flawed, but in many of the same ways that the Doctor is, so rather than it being this, "kind and patient woman, erratic and irresponsible man" dynamic, you have two arrogant clever-clogs running around the galaxy bickering with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

I think you’re skimming over the best part, where the ship is overrun by lepers while some guy starts devouring the scenery. WE’RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIE

• Locked thread