Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never really cared for the 90s Mission Impossible movies, but it seems from Ghost Protocol onwards they've all had really good critical ratings, and the new one is getting a ton of hype. I don't really feel like watching the first 3 that I've either tried before or had no interest in, can I just jump in at GP and get everything? I'm assuming yes, but I also did this with Fast and Furious and didn't realise a character had died since the last one and that's why it was a big deal they showed back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never really cared for the 90s Mission Impossible movies, but it seems from Ghost Protocol onwards they've all had really good critical ratings, and the new one is getting a ton of hype. I don't really feel like watching the first 3 that I've either tried before or had no interest in, can I just jump in at GP and get everything? I'm assuming yes, but I also did this with Fast and Furious and didn't realise a character had died since the last one and that's why it was a big deal they showed back up.

Yes, you can watch Ghost Protocol without watching the first three and it'll be fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

You should watch M:I3 because it introduces Simon Pegg's character (who plays an increasingly larger role in the following two movies, and is reportedly pivotal in Fallout), and it has a gangbusters performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I always presumed Pegg turned up in the 4th, maybe that and PSH is enough to convince me to go back one further... thanks both!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I always presumed Pegg turned up in the 4th, maybe that and PSH is enough to convince me to go back one further... thanks both!

Yea, MI: 3 is really where the current formula was properly established, and overall it's really good so I'd say don't skip that one. And if you get around to it check out the first film but there's almost nothing there that will be important for the later sequels so it's not necessary.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I definitely saw the first one when it was still fairly new and it just didn't do anything for me. Think I watched a good chunk of the 2nd too.

Oh lordy, I just remembered that the 3rd is the Limp Bizkit one. I hope it blasts almost permanently during the runtime.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I definitely saw the first one when it was still fairly new and it just didn't do anything for me. Think I watched a good chunk of the 2nd too.

Oh lordy, I just remembered that the 3rd is the Limp Bizkit one. I hope it blasts almost permanently during the runtime.

Limp bizkit is the 2nd film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm almost disappointed. Almost.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, MI: 3 is really where the current formula was properly established, and overall it's really good so I'd say don't skip that one. And if you get around to it check out the first film but there's almost nothing there that will be important for the later sequels so it's not necessary.

MI:2 established the formula. MI:3 perfected it.

Apparently I'm the only guy in this thread who thinks that MI:2's goofy poo poo is worth experiencing.

Also I'm going to stop referring to them by numbers. MI2 will now be MI:Woo Zone. I'm still searching for MI:3 subtitle, I'm thinking MI: Alias but that's a little too on the nose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
MI:2 is one of those movies you won't like at the time, if you were expecting something else, but in retrospect it's good at what it does.

I had a friend who hated The Bourne Identity because he saw it right after finishing up exams, and was expecting something more like, well, MI:2.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I don't like Ethan Hunt in MI2. His character is more interesting and better defined in the others.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Apparently I'm the only guy in this thread who thinks that MI:2's goofy poo poo is worth experiencing.

Also I'm going to stop referring to them by numbers. MI2 will now be MI:Woo Zone. I'm still searching for MI:3 subtitle, I'm thinking MI: Alias but that's a little too on the nose.

MI: Philip Seymour Hoffmaguffin

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nah, bro, M:I 2 rules.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

I don't like Ethan Hunt in MI2. His character is more interesting and better defined in the others.

I wasn't being facetious when I said his character is a complete douchebag in M:I2. It was off-putting and his "charm" was creepy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Minority Report before or after MI2? I remember that movie being huge - probably one of the biggest and best of the post-Matrix era - but every time I think of it I have to think, "Hold on, was that a Tom Cruise movie?" (usually followed by "And a Steven Spielberg movie?").

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Around 3 years after.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Minority Report before or after MI2? I remember that movie being huge - probably one of the biggest and best of the post-Matrix era - but every time I think of it I have to think, "Hold on, was that a Tom Cruise movie?" (usually followed by "And a Steven Spielberg movie?").

Yea Minority Report was made right in that sweet spot when Cruise and Spielberg were probably both #1 in the industry. They did War of the Worlds a few years later, which made even more money.

Of course, this is still early 2000s numbers we're talking about, when 400 or 500 million was still considered a huge hit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, it came out when I was in school and it was (perhaps a bit improbably in retrospect) one of the most talked-about "adult" movies that I remember from the time along with the Matrix.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every M:I is worth watching. M:I 2 is unlikely to be your favourite but it's not bad. It's just not as good as the rest is the usual opinion. I would rather watch 2 over 3, though.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Minority Report had a huge enough impact that people make references to it 20 years later. It was definitely one of my favorite movies immediately, I don't know how many times I've seen it but it's a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Harime Nui posted:

Minority Report had a huge enough impact that people make references to it 20 years later. It was definitely one of my favorite movies immediately, I don't know how many times I've seen it but it's a lot.

It's only 16 years old so that's a hell of a movie!!!!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I liked it so much I learned how to tell the future, true story.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fart City posted:

MI: Philip Seymour Hoffmaguffin
"Hi! I'm the film's main villain, the cause of Ethan Hunt's pain, and in our final confrontation I'm going to suffer a Final Destination death by being randomly hit by a truck."

M:I3 bugs the poo poo out of me, because it's the epitome of gently caress-you-audience writing. Want to know what the all-important Rabbit's Foot is? gently caress you. Want a tense and exciting sequence like the CIA vault from the first movie as Hunt steals it? gently caress you. Want a satisfying final confrontation between hero and villain? gently caress you. I always picture Abrams and the other writers chortling to themselves about how clever and transgressive and expectation-defying they were, but M:I Alias isn't even a joke - it's what we got, right down to the lazy TV-style in medias res opening followed by a flashback and Mystery Box horseshit. It's by far my least favourite of the M:I movies, and that's despite the fact I can remember literally nothing about Rogue Nation's actual plot, just occasional snippets of action.

4 > 1 > [2 or 5] > 3.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

On the other hand, I thought the relationship between Michelle Monaghan and Tom Cruise was really well-developed, the crew was solid (especially Maggie Q) and the villains were phenomenal. I mean, PSH gets all the credit because he is obviously great -- he's especially good when he's Ethan as Owen Davian -- but Billy Crudup does a pretty thankless job as a turncoat. I appreciated that the actual finale wasn't a big fight with the villains, but something more personal.

I definitely thought they were trying to twist some of the things we've seen before, which Ghost Protocol also does, but I didn't think it was done in a malicious sense. That feels like projecting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

<the M:I-III_Defender has logged on>

All that being said, I will say I'd rank them:

4 > 1 > 3 = 5 > 2

and they're all enjoyable, with 2 being the only one I get why people wouldn't enjoy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LesterGroans posted:

I definitely thought they were trying to twist some of the things we've seen before, which Ghost Protocol also does, but I didn't think it was done in a malicious sense. That feels like projecting.
Yeah, I can't find too much fault with the personal side of M:I3 (it's got a great cast), but Ghost Protocol is basically M:I3 done completely right. The fact that it was done with complete sincerity, rather than the - IMO, obviously - distinct cynicism of 3's writing makes it all the better.

On a sidenote, it's interesting that not a single one of the films has had the IMF pull off a plan without at least one massive catastrophic gently caress-up and/or traitor. Jim Phelps - the real Jim Phelps, not the obvious fake using his name - would be turning in his grave. (Assuming he hasn't faked his own death... :haw: )

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Payndz posted:

Yeah, I can't find too much fault with the personal side of M:I3 (it's got a great cast), but Ghost Protocol is basically M:I3 done completely right. The fact that it was done with complete sincerity, rather than the - IMO, obviously - distinct cynicism of 3's writing makes it all the better.

Ghost Protes is my favourite, so I can't argue with it perfecting the M:I3 formula. Some of my love for 3 has to do with the fact that a great villain goes a long way, something the MCU films should have learned earlier.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

On a sidenote, it's interesting that not a single one of the films has had the IMF pull off a plan without at least one massive catastrophic gently caress-up and/or traitor. Jim Phelps - the real Jim Phelps, not the obvious fake using his name - would be turning in his grave. (Assuming he hasn't faked his own death... :haw: )

Yea I was gonna say that I just watched Rogue Nation and the whole plan where Ethan almost drowns changing the security chips went off successfully.....but then of course Rebecca Ferguson's character immediately betrays them.

Ghost Protocol really is the best MI overall, I could watch that hallway projector scene a thousand times and it will never get old. I also love the ending in the car factory.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

Ghost Protocol really is the best MI overall, I could watch that hallway projector scene a thousand times and it will never get old. I also love the ending in the car factory.

Parking garage.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Feel good action movie moment of the day.

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1017462415758450688

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Parking garage.

Oh ok, well it was a parking garage for rich people then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that before he cast David Carradine, Tarantino's first choice to play Bill in Kill Bill was Warren Beatty, of all people.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

That's awesome. It's definitely my favorite moment in that entire trailer.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

Carrying on a derail from the trailer thread.

This clip of a ceramic smashing fight scene from the new Mission Impossible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLiZeg6zU4M
Also worth noting is the lack of music, which has always been a huge (relative to real life events obv) annoyance of fight scene experts with good fight scenes in recent years.

I’m guessing that no music in a violent fight scene automatically escalates the movies rating or something to do with the globalists?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
You know, it's pretty well shot, too. The camera is stable enough, not too close and not too spastic. And the edits are slow enough to allow the viewer to parse what's happening.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Totally dude. The last decade or so have really brought forward the excellence in this art form: long takes partnered with decent fight choreography and affordable cg stuff sounds like a low bar but it’s actually harder to do well.

Huh

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm not sure why I started watching 3,000 Miles To Graceland on Netflix. I know it's a terrible movie, but I look at the cast and think, what the hell, can't be as bad as I remember.

Then it starts with two poorly computer animated robots scorpions fighting each other in the desert over the opening credits.

So.

Jury's still out.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You might as well turn it off after the intro.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I remember it being really mean spirited and very poorly edited . Didn't like it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Finally saw Sicario 2, and as I expected, although it's a more conventional movie it's still better than Sicario 1. It managed to portray latinos as something other than menaces or victims and del Toro's not trying to do a Mexican accent anymore. I liked how it showed a wide spectrum of the cartels' influence, from top to bottom. The suburban mom cartel member was more subversive than anything in Sicario 1. Plus, I think it actually does a much better job at avoiding endorsing Josh Brolin and Sr. Sicario's actions. In Sicario 1 you had a dumb veteran FBI drug enforcement agent who has never heard of police brutality and who needs to google "cartel violence" as your audience stand-in and moral critic, which made Sr. Sicario and Josh Brolin seem much more competent and intelligent in comparison. Here, Brolin's dumb jock mentality and Sr. Sicario's illusory power are much more apparent since they're only compared against their own catastrophic failures.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 22, 2018