Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kibayasu posted:

Of all the things people remember about Claire I don’t think I’ve heard “motorcycle” all the much. Oh wait *sees corporate logo” right, *that* kind of iconic. The kind you can get money from.

Her being a motorcycle enthusiast was a big part of her whole deal in the old series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Her being a motorcycle enthusiast was a big part of her whole deal in the old series.

I know. It’s nowhere near as bad as Aiden Pearce’s Iconic Hat levels of dumb and you might as well keep it but “iconic” is one of those words the game industry loves to use for something that has even a vague level of recognition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't know. One of the things I saw a lot of the fans talking about after E3 was hoping that she still had the "Made in Heaven" logo. If nothing else, there's a certain amount of baked-in brand recognition to the various in-game symbols: the STARS logo, Claire's two biker jackets, the Umbrella, etc.

Marketing people do use the word "iconic" like telegrams did "stop," though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Collectors edition of RE2 will be 199/239. CAD. Thank God there doesn't seem to be a version for PC so I won't be tempted to stray from my no physical copies rule

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

That promo art is really cool.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Like I'm dying because I want those blueprints and artbook but every preorder bonus I like goes for stupid money on Ebay usually, so it's not like theres a cost saving option.

I cant do it though. I cant justify almost a consoles worth of money for those.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Like I'm dying because I want those blueprints and artbook but every preorder bonus I like goes for stupid money on Ebay usually, so it's not like theres a cost saving option.

I cant do it though. I cant justify almost a consoles worth of money for those.

Fear not! My brother tends to buy collector’s edition games, then promptly ignores the swag (a few examples: some Skyrim dragon case thing, a Pipboy case, etc etc) which are just collecting dust at our dad’s place.

Gimme a few months post-release, and I can probably

(Or at least scan them)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blueprints and the case are hella dope, but I don’t need a 12 inch Leon statue. If I’m gonna give up that real estate it better be Jill

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Curious that Claire who comes from out of town is riding a motorcycle with Raccoon license plates. So did she steal the hog at a gas station on the way or...

Artwork is rad though. 2019 can't come soon enough.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jimbot posted:

That gun Claire is using is really weird looking.

It is hella interesting.

With only seeing the butt of the pistol I can't claim it's 100% an S&W revolver, but at the very least the grip is straight up modeled after a round-butt S&W, with the original 'Magna' stocks (grips but in nerd S&W collector parlance) and something I don't think I've ever seen represented in fiction, a Tyler T-Grip,

It basically is an aftermarket add-on to give a S&W revolver a better grip, but it's so bizarrely niche it harkens back to the gun sperging days of RE1-3 :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DeadButDelicious posted:

Curious that Claire who comes from out of town is riding a motorcycle with Raccoon license plates. So did she steal the hog at a gas station on the way or...

Artwork is rad though. 2019 can't come soon enough.

Her and Chris uses to live together in Raccoon City. They are natives. She's living away studying at the time of the first game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Blueprints and the case are hella dope, but I don’t need a 12 inch Leon statue. If I’m gonna give up that real estate it better be Jill
Trying to trick a hard of hearing genie, asking for a 12 inch pianist?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Her and Chris uses to live together in Raccoon City. They are natives. She's living away studying at the time of the first game.

You know, that would actually work. Chris is supposed to have joined the STARS two years before RE, when Claire would've been 17.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is the PS4 port of Revelations 1 any good? I remember not being too impressed with how it ran on the PS3 and Wii U.

Kibayasu posted:

Of all the things people remember about Claire I don’t think I’ve heard “motorcycle” all the much. Oh wait *sees corporate logo” right, *that* kind of iconic. The kind you can get money from.

Like maybe if the end of RE2 was Claire finding a hog in the lab for no reason and riding it out of the tunnel when the train exploded.

The ultimate of this is how if you pick up the Dark Souls 1 port on the PS4 one of the bullet points on the back of the box is "origin of a popular internet meme!" or something.

And it's true, being a motorcycle enthusiast was a big part of Claire's character design but when is it ever really reflected in the games beyond "is on motorcycle at the start of RE2?"

I mean, if they changed her ending to be like in Big Trouble in Little China where just as all hope is lost they open a door and Jack Burton's truck is there but it's Claire's inexplicably there and fine motorcycle that would extremely own. :D Like just make that her thing in every game from now on. Ada Wong throws Leon a rocket launcher out of nowhere, Claire's motorcycle is just there whenever she needs it to escape an exploding place.

Speaking of which, it'd be cool if they gave her an alternate costume that was her riding gear from her original character concept:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't notice any issues with Rev 1 PS4 but I tend not to with frame rate until it gets very sub 30 so.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the PS4 port of Revelations 1 any good? I remember not being too impressed with how it ran on the PS3 and Wii U.

The ultimate of this is how if you pick up the Dark Souls 1 port on the PS4 one of the bullet points on the back of the box is "origin of a popular internet meme!" or something.

And it's true, being a motorcycle enthusiast was a big part of Claire's character design but when is it ever really reflected in the games beyond "is on motorcycle at the start of RE2?"

I mean, if they changed her ending to be like in Big Trouble in Little China where just as all hope is lost they open a door and Jack Burton's truck is there but it's Claire's inexplicably there and fine motorcycle that would extremely own. :D Like just make that her thing in every game from now on. Ada Wong throws Leon a rocket launcher out of nowhere, Claire's motorcycle is just there whenever she needs it to escape an exploding place.

Speaking of which, it'd be cool if they gave her an alternate costume that was her riding gear from her original character concept:

Claire getting an Elza Walker costume DLC is confirmed already.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I got too confident and attempted to do the helipad fight in REmake without healing items and got killed in 3 hits. You kinda forget how easy it is to die when you avoid combat (or have enough ammo to kill every creature in the mansion. According to my stats I killed over 80 creatures)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Like just make that her thing in every game from now on. Ada Wong throws Leon a rocket launcher out of nowhere, Claire's motorcycle is just there whenever she needs it to escape an exploding place.

I'm totally down

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Started on Dino Crisis for the first time and man this game seems stingy with ammo. Also I tried to open a safe then a T Rex stuck it's head through the window and ate me :v:

Overall I am finding navigation difficult as a lot of the rooms look quite similar, I guess prerendered backgrounds in RE gave each room more of a unique identity. The puzzles feel more like busywork as well, like having to get 2 keys for certain doors instead of one.

Looking forward to playing more though. RE with dinos is just a great concept and I'm kinda sad Capcom isn't doing a new one with RE6 combat mechanics.

Convex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 22, 2018

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

License plate J2198. RE2 was originally released January 21, 1998.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I guess this September will be the 10th anniversary of the Racoon City Incident. Would be a preeeettyyyy good time to reveal the Outbreak remake...(let me dream!)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Outbreak would be cool but I feel like it would get RE4’d and that would suck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Convex posted:

Started on Dino Crisis for the first time and man this game seems stingy with ammo. Also I tried to open a safe then a T Rex stuck it's head through the window and ate me :v:

Overall I am finding navigation difficult as a lot of the rooms look quite similar, I guess prerendered backgrounds in RE gave each room more of a unique identity. The puzzles feel more like busywork as well, like having to get 2 keys for certain doors instead of one.

Looking forward to playing more though. RE with dinos is just a great concept and I'm kinda sad Capcom isn't doing a new one with RE6 combat mechanics.

You do have to be fairly careful about what you shoot at the beginning of Dino Crisis. Running away whenever possible is almost always preferable.

If you’re interested, hints in spoilers: You can start mixing tranquilizer darts of various strengths pretty shortly into the game. They put raptors down immediately for a short time, shorter on higher difficulty, but generally more than enough to get done what you need to do in a room. Prioritize unlocking red boxes with your plugs for more lethal ammo, though if you’re taking damage you may want to unlock green boxes first, green boxes are also what give you more mixing stuff for better health kits and tranqs. Push any boxes and shelves you see because you’ll generally find something under them.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Nah, giving up on RE4 on Steam. Made sure all my drivers are up to date, did a verify install, even did a full reinstall of the game and it's still crashing on loading screens. Just don't have the patience for this and I finished the main game. Maybe in 2 years we'll get another release to celebrate the 15th anniversary that will work. :sigh:

E: Pretty sure it's got issues running in 60fps. I dropped it to 30fps in the area where I was having trouble last night and it did load, but in the cutscenes all the characters lost their textures leading to some... Interesting moments. Issue being I can make it through a huge chunk of the game in silky smooth 60fps that dropping down to 30 is really jarring and uncomfortable to play.

Double E: Nah running the same section on 30fps still nets the same crash. Shame.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 22, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A few games are funky at higher framerates, especially console ports. Dark Souls and Destiny 2 are two examples that glitch out on PC if they run at 60 and above. You could climb down a ladder and continue climbing down past the floor instead of stepping off, or you could fire homing spider mines that don't actually home, or activate a super skill mid-air and immediately lose all momentum. My uneducated guess is that some games tie animation and logic to framerate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

You do have to be fairly careful about what you shoot at the beginning of Dino Crisis. Running away whenever possible is almost always preferable.

If you’re interested, hints in spoilers: You can start mixing tranquilizer darts of various strengths pretty shortly into the game. They put raptors down immediately for a short time, shorter on higher difficulty, but generally more than enough to get done what you need to do in a room. Prioritize unlocking red boxes with your plugs for more lethal ammo, though if you’re taking damage you may want to unlock green boxes first, green boxes are also what give you more mixing stuff for better health kits and tranqs. Push any boxes and shelves you see because you’ll generally find something under them.

Thanks for the advice! I figures out adding the enhancements to the tranq darts yesterday but then wasted 2 of my 4 bolts missing a dino and shooting the wall :ohdear:

Haven't seen any red or green boxes around though, maybe that's where I'm going wrong? At least I got past the T Rex now so I just need to find a thumb print for an ID card so I can get in the lift.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dino crisis all but invented qte's which is an unforgivable crime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dino Crisis and Shenmue came out the same year

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's a small cosmetic thing (and something i know they won't do because of $DLC$), but it would cool if they added some clothing items as pickups throughout the game that visibly changed your characters appearance.

I'm not talking gear or loot or any of that guff but, for an example, Claire gets to a locker and there's a police outfit that increases her ammo capacity (because it has more pockets). She can equip it but it changes her appearance.

Just small stuff like that would be cool.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Dino Crisis and Shenmue came out the same year

Dino Crisis pipped it by a few months

Shenmue kinda kicked off the whole graphics-over-substance fad, I think after that came out it was a turning point and a lot of devs wanted prestige games without any of the actual gameplay

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kin posted:

It's a small cosmetic thing (and something i know they won't do because of $DLC$), but it would cool if they added some clothing items as pickups throughout the game that visibly changed your characters appearance.

I'm not talking gear or loot or any of that guff but, for an example, Claire gets to a locker and there's a police outfit that increases her ammo capacity (because it has more pockets). She can equip it but it changes her appearance.

Just small stuff like that would be cool.

RE4 and 5 both had wearable body armor so I dont see why small cosmetics like that wouldnt be possible.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DeadButDelicious posted:

Nah, giving up on RE4 on Steam. Made sure all my drivers are up to date, did a verify install, even did a full reinstall of the game and it's still crashing on loading screens. Just don't have the patience for this and I finished the main game. Maybe in 2 years we'll get another release to celebrate the 15th anniversary that will work. :sigh:

E: Pretty sure it's got issues running in 60fps. I dropped it to 30fps in the area where I was having trouble last night and it did load, but in the cutscenes all the characters lost their textures leading to some... Interesting moments. Issue being I can make it through a huge chunk of the game in silky smooth 60fps that dropping down to 30 is really jarring and uncomfortable to play.

Double E: Nah running the same section on 30fps still nets the same crash. Shame.

Hey I googled a little for you, found this. Maybe it'll work?

http://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=1513

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Shenmue kinda kicked off the whole graphics-over-substance fad, I think after that came out it was a turning point and a lot of devs wanted prestige games without any of the actual gameplay

Shenmue is good, actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Someone never got disappointed by Rise of the Robots at Christmas

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I beat Marguerite on my 2nd try on Madhouse difficulty. She had a lot of health but thankfully the arena had plenty of items. Cool boss, felt very much like a call back to chief Mendez from RE4.

Not looking forward to the next boss.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Shenmue is good, actually

It was technically incredibly impressive & highly realistic, and pretty much was the banner-bearer for world-building for many years, but from a gameplay point of view it was merely average and had plodding pacing. The first actual fight in the game doesn't occur until you get ambushed in a car park around three hours into the story. There are half a dozen QTE events before then that could have easily been actual gameplay moments where you had to utilize your skills Ryo had been training for.

Back then though people (myself included) were very willing to look past the game's flaws because for all its foibles Shenmue was still a monumental achievement. Without it there wouldn't be games like GTA3 or Mass Effect.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kibayasu posted:

Dino Crisis is weird for me because I remember pretty much running away from almost everything in the game and there are only like 3 weapons and there are only like 3 dinosaur types in the whole game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Now that I'm on a RE binge I feel like I should try Code Veronica. But I think I need more than one glass of wine based on what I know.

What have you done to my island, Claaaire Reedfieeeeld?!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WaltherFeng posted:

Now that I'm on a RE binge I feel like I should try Code Veronica. But I think I need more than one glass of wine based on what I know.

What have you done to my island, Claaaire Reedfieeeeld?!

Yes. Box wine drink the gently caress out of code veronica, and weep that you will never know Steve's original haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Convex posted:

Thanks for the advice! I figures out adding the enhancements to the tranq darts yesterday but then wasted 2 of my 4 bolts missing a dino and shooting the wall :ohdear:

Haven't seen any red or green boxes around though, maybe that's where I'm going wrong? At least I got past the T Rex now so I just need to find a thumb print for an ID card so I can get in the lift.

There are red, yellow, and green panels on the walls, I think you should have seen by now, and they act as the Magic Chests. Anything you put in a red panel will be in all red panels, anything you put in yellow, etc. However they all will require various amounts of "plugs" to unlock, which you find scattered around, so you can put something in a red panel but if you can't unlock the next red panel you see then you can't get it back yet.

The bigger benefit to unlocking them though is that every new panel will have a bunch of the items I mentioned above in them. Yellow panels will have a mix of red and green stuff. The late game panels will have the strongest ammo/health/mixing stuff in the game. I think there should be some in the hall outside of the computer room your Sassy Black Partner takes up residence.