Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

I'm new here but I'll allow it.

Warning, I think adding a headshot to a resume is 200% the raddest way to get noticed.

This is recommended practice if you are white and male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I want to post my resume here but it's a fact that nerds will Google search phrases in it to find my LinkedIn which is basically identical. And I do not want that.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

qhat posted:

This is recommended practice if you are white and male.

That was bait, dumbarse.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
alright here it is, pls don't dox me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74w28tllu9mric6/Anonymized.pdf?dl=0

i'm trying to get into a more security engineering role but i guess i'll do webshit for the right amound of figgies

basically looking for anything that sounds weird. also maybe i should list categories of technologies (e.g. relational databases, version control, "serverless" "architecture")?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cheque_some posted:

There has to be some kind of economic indicator of how many recruiter messages you get in a day. I think I got 5 in the last 24 hours.

Through the grapevine chat with in-house recruiters suggests that it's more just business cycle stuff: recruiters (especially those employed by companies in a growth spurt) get quarterly and annual targets for inbound candidates. If it's near the end of the quarter and they're not meeting their target for some particular req, they'll be more liberal in how many "hey, I'm rando recruiter here's our company pitch" messages they send. Earlier in the quarter they'll try to mostly use referrals, especially for candidates that closely meet the job description, but as pickings get slim they send feelers out to any linkedin profile that looks maybe viable. Quarter-end behavior is further amplified around the end of the business year.

General economic trends influence how many recruiters with a bunch of unfilled reqs exist and will increase/decrease how many contacts you get, but when the contacts happen is still pretty cyclical.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Through the grapevine chat with in-house recruiters suggests that it's more just business cycle stuff: recruiters (especially those employed by companies in a growth spurt) get quarterly and annual targets for inbound candidates. If it's near the end of the quarter and they're not meeting their target for some particular req, they'll be more liberal in how many "hey, I'm rando recruiter here's our company pitch" messages they send. Earlier in the quarter they'll try to mostly use referrals, especially for candidates that closely meet the job description, but as pickings get slim they send feelers out to any linkedin profile that looks maybe viable. Quarter-end behavior is further amplified around the end of the business year.

General economic trends influence how many recruiters with a bunch of unfilled reqs exist and will increase/decrease how many contacts you get, but when the contacts happen is still pretty cyclical.

And now I understand the origin of literally every hit I've ever gotten on the screaming hellsite which is LinkedIn.

:sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

I want to post my resume here but it's a fact that nerds will Google search phrases in it to find my LinkedIn which is basically identical. And I do not want that.

seriously, never ever ever ever post anything even vaguely personal online or someone who didnt like a post you made one time absolutely will use the barest of details to track down your whole family and start harassing them at work.

dude who put your resume up, id urge you to pull it down.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Schadenboner posted:

And now I understand the origin of literally every hit I've ever gotten on the screaming hellsite which is LinkedIn.

:sigh:

yo if you’re drawing validation from the number of cold recruiter contacts you get on LinkedIn you’ve already lost the plot. there are many ways to evaluate your worth as a technologist but that is absolutely not one of them.

hiring is a total crapshoot on both ends and recruiters’ gambling strategies are cyclical. that’s all it is.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

a recruiter from google reached out to me directly last friday and gently caress it let’s see where this goes. the last time i interviewed with them it went horribly but that was just due to crazy circumstance rather than anything else.

the problem now, if you can call it that, is that i’m extremely happy with my current job and it’ll take a lot for them to convince me to switch. i normally ignore recruiters even from semi-prominent companies and i’m only talking to them because they’re google. i’m just trying to think up of a way to diplomatically tell them this without coming across as a smug rear end in a top hat but also making sure they get the point because i don’t want to waste my time if they’re not serious. i’m really busy with work and i know googles process is time consuming

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
google's hiring process is hosed and they're just going to waste your time. best case is you get to go work on a backend system for storing PII that's sold to advertisers.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

a recruiter from google reached out to me directly last friday and gently caress it let’s see where this goes. the last time i interviewed with them it went horribly but that was just due to crazy circumstance rather than anything else.

the problem now, if you can call it that, is that i’m extremely happy with my current job and it’ll take a lot for them to convince me to switch. i normally ignore recruiters even from semi-prominent companies and i’m only talking to them because they’re google. i’m just trying to think up of a way to diplomatically tell them this without coming across as a smug rear end in a top hat but also making sure they get the point because i don’t want to waste my time if they’re not serious. i’m really busy with work and i know googles process is time consuming

iiwy i’d really sit down and figure out what “a lot” specifically means and whether you could potentially find it at google, and then go from there

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm in the process of looking and responded to a recruiter from google that reached out on linkedin. I have about 10 years experience writing geospatial data processing systems so maybe it could be something cool.

It was effectively a tech support position. Oof, my ego :(

On the bright side, I'm chatting with a major agtech company that sounds like they're doing some really cool stuff, so I hope that goes somewhere.

edit: About finding something great at Google... I seriously doubt you will. I have some friends there and they describe a bleak, intensely bureaucratic scene. The best case is you'd be working on a team hyper-focused on one particular aspect of a (probably dull) product, using a bunch of in house tools to integrate half working code from other teams.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 22, 2018

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
my vibe from google (have not worked there just from people I know) is that it’s absolutetly infested with the kind of smart people who are incessantly trying to assert how much more intelligent (or hardworking, productive, etc) they are than their colleagues (who do the same), and the bonus/promotion culture there seems to reinforce that kind of behavior. it just all seems incredibly toxic to me and especially not worth it when your company exists to sell people’s personal info

apologies to any google peeps if you’ve found this to not be the case

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

GenJoe posted:

it’s absolutetly infested with the kind of smart people who are incessantly trying to assert how much more intelligent (or hardworking, productive, etc) they are than their colleagues (who do the same)

tbf isn't this like pretty much every IT company, computer touchers are bad etc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Symbolic Butt posted:

tbf isn't this like pretty much every IT company, computer touchers are bad etc

it's yospos

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i’m thinking i’m just gonna be really upfront about what it will take to get me to move and that i doubt they have what i’m looking for- but they’re welcome to give me their pitch if they think it won’t be a waste of time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

One of my hobbies has become engaging with and then ghosting 3rd party recruiters and it's pretty much the only reason I still have a linkedin.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
guys guys, the list of questions for interviewers in the OP is a little bare bones. people have posted good stuff in the past so if you all Speak thine Words of Judgement, maybe boiled water can add them to the first post where they can be easily found

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
A newish California law requires recruiters to give out salary ranges when they solicit you if you ask for them.

What's the proper way to do this?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

i believe the generally accepted approach is to respond with "figgies or gtfo"

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i emailed the recruiter i worked with for my current job with my new company e-mail after the first week but he never got back to me and it made me a little sad =(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how the gently caress do i do a phone screen im supposed to screen someone this week

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Bloody posted:

how the gently caress do i do a phone screen im supposed to screen someone this week

ask basic questions like "did you lie on your resume?" and "are you sure you didn't lie?" or even "look I won't even be mad, just don't make me waste my time interviewing you"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

the only question you're answering is "is it worth flying this person out and burning X hours from Y engineers/managers for an onsite"

the bar can be really low. you want some of the normal "is this resume a pack of lies"

I've done all of the following on systems phone screens:
1) function to convert big-to-little endian
2) shared code pad, simple coding exercises like popcount/word count (note that word count is not counting spaces)
3) shared word doc, drew up a block diagram for a fitness tracker

at the end of 30~60 minutes, you need enough signal to justify bringing them on-site or ending the process

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bloody posted:

"So, what are you wearing?"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

ask them what they are doing to bring about the fall of capitalism

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

ask them what they are doing to bring about the fall of capitalism

is “I listen to chapo trap house” an acceptable answer?

also post in cspam

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

- introduce yourself
- verify that they have time for the call
- what are you looking for in your job search
- any questions about the position or the company

verify their use of required technologies by asking questions of absolutely basic everyday knowledge, e.g. when does a finally block run, what's a foreign key constraint, what happens when a web server sends a page with a <script> tag (that last one might be too subtle, the idea is to check whether they know that the browser, not the server, executes the script)

- tell them when they can expect to hear back

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 24, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ShadowHawk posted:

A newish California law requires recruiters to give out salary ranges when they solicit you if you ask for them.

CurrentSalary +25% to CurrentSalary + 50%

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

- what are you looking for in your job search

gee idk doing something i don't hate too much in exchange for not starving to death

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

gee idk doing something i don't hate too much in exchange for not starving to death

honesty is not appreciated in the job search process

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean why ask this question if hr is not forcing you to

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

it gives you a sense of whether the candidate is clever enough to think up a suitable non-response for standard questions ahead of time. see also, "why are you leaving your current job?"

but agreed, it's essentially a useless question.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i need help decoding some standard interview-speak: when interviewing candidates sometimes they'll ask "what's your day to day like?" and i know that "idk, come to work, do work, go home" is not an acceptable answer to this, but i'm not sure what they're actually asking.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

raminasi posted:

i need help decoding some standard interview-speak: when interviewing candidates sometimes they'll ask "what's your day to day like?" and i know that "idk, come to work, do work, go home" is not an acceptable answer to this, but i'm not sure what they're actually asking.

they want to know how often your manager talks to you and how many meetings you have to go to

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

Do you do a daily standup meeting, at what time? How much time do you spend in meetings? How much time do you spend code reviewing vs programming vs pair programming? Do people take long lunch breaks, or everyone eats at their desk?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

raminasi posted:

they want to know if you spend most your day writing code, or like half writing code and half sitting in meetings, or weeks doing nothing waiting on some fucker to do something

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

the talent deficit posted:

they want to know how often your manager talks to you and how many meetings you have to go to

also expected work hours

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
also how toxic is your environment. do you get yelled at a lot? is your boss demeaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Ploft-shell crab posted:

also expected work hours

this. for my current job i asked about day-to-day during the interview and was told something like "some people just do 9-5, and that's perfectly fine, but of course every project is different" which should have been a big ol' red flag.