Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“I had one of...those...farts again. I’m scared.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
New TMNT has some interesting notes; the turtles don't seem to start as a bunch of already highly trained urban ninjas, but, well, a bunch of teenagers with moderate martial arts training who were raised by a rat ninja master who's been successfully in hiding from any kind of threat for years. Rather a strong change, given the original TMNT were basically trained more as soldiers than children as instruments for Splinter's revenge.

Also, it becomes pretty immediately clear that Raph really isn't cut out to be leader, though they haven't really been under enough pressure for the team to notice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's definitely a neat balance. Ep 4 they get a pretty good win by fighting essentially a normal rear end in a top hat, while all the other episodes so far have them get their asses handed because they're fighting magic poo poo way above their level.

Something else I'm liking is that the brothers don't really have friction. Everyone's kinda on the same 'tier'. We talk a lot about Raph being leader and stuff, but in four episodes, there's been 1 instance of Mikey being the "dumb" one, and that was only for a quick joke. Mikey's kindness and faith on sci-fi are key to the episode 4 ending, Donatello being a competent fighter is important in the first episode where he's the only one who got a clean hit on John Cena, Leo being good at leading his brothers without them feeling lesser or bad is a good chunk of episode 2, and Raph is always kind to his brothers and never a loner. They're in it together and respect each other rather than one being the protag and the others being in the wrong depending on what the episode's about.

And I really enjoy how we're jumping en-media res on this. It feels like the turtles are losing way more than they should, that Splinter isn't training them right at all. We hardly see him, and he's been a jerk each time. John Cena wanting to take the turtles under his wing feels like a valid proposal since the one currently training them is seemingly doing a very poor job at it from what little we've been shown.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 21, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes a lot of sense given they've been raised together and basically each others' only friends for their entire lives. Even the Bay movie had a bit of that showing how they get along, like the bit where Mikey starts casually beatboxing to himself on a long elevator ride and the others slowly start joining in. It's pretty easy for the show to lean too hard on Raph being angry and Mikey being goofy, maybe making Raph the initial leader was a conscious effort to avoid falling too into formula. (though the turtles starting out in over their heads and losing as much as they win is something the 2012 cartoon did a fair bit too)

Oddly enough they keep reminding me of Huey, Dewey and Louie (and Webby) in the new DuckTales, though with some traits and colour schemes swapped around. (also strikes me as how DuckTales mixes traits up; Huey is the intellectual one AND the bad-tempered one, for starters)

And this version of April seems to have gone from the usual Sensible Girl to taking on more of Mikey's traits. At least I get the feeling she's going to get on well with Casey Jones whenever he shows up.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 21, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like lazy Splinter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxAmnyYDLE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, uh oh, looks like more skeletons in ol' Butch's closet

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1020461474257555457

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why do people "like" things like this. Just bookmark it! Everything you hit like on is gonna be publicly available

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
For all his clickbait videos and cringey tweets Butch is an old man and bad at the internet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like the one video he did where he theorized that Cosmo was not Poof's real father, despite Cosmo having been the one pregnant with Poof.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/thedragonprince/status/1020745107824246784?s=19

Not gonna lie, I'm... not a huge fan of the animation style they're going for.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm inclined to agree. Not that I could formulate what's wrong, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah... Its not as bad, obviously, but it reminds me of the cg berserk show.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The art style you can feel out is good, but the CG already ends up having the same CG problems as ever.

Also lol at a bunch of comments on that Butch tweet being "WELL I DON'T SEE WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT THE ESSJAYDUBS VIDEOS" as if those aren't about harassing LGBT people most of the time.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The issue is the same as with most CG anime: they're trying to emulate the look of hand-drawn animation and this includes low framerate and stiff movement. I've never seen that basic idea executed well and they really should've just went with a regular old hand-drawn style.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 21, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So it's CGI, but they're lowering the framerate to try to fake like it's normal animation? Kinda has that unnatural look of claymation.

Really, if you're gonna be CGI, just be CGI. Don't pretend to be what you're not, The ability to be super fluid is one of CGI's strengths. Nobody's pining for the halcyon days of Rocky and Bullwinkle or Hannah Barbara where 12 fps was an implausible dream.

I know that this has been coming for a long while now, and the show's long past its peak, but it's still little sad to see it ending.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So that Megaman teaser, eh, its largely inoffensive; it does look as if its going to use the whole 8bit thing to tis advantage with music, cut aways and I think voxel explosion effects, the mini navi sidekick thing Rock has isn’t a total write off (that bit with it taunting Fireman for not being a Firefighter robot was at least good for a sensible chuckle) and the fight seemed to be well done for the most part.

At worst CN is probably going to sacrifice it for more time on the Teen Titans Go clock so its overall effect is probably going to be negligible.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

That anti-trans video linked in the comments...woof. Looks like some 90s kids are going to get the full Ender’s Game experience.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Speaking of CN, just sat in on the CN creator's panel at SDCC and they had some neat stuff:

-Next OK KO crossover is going to be between Ben 10, Teen Titans Go, and Steven Universe

-Craig of the Creek comes back next month

-Full series of Victor and Valentinez comes out in 2019

-We Bare Bears will have even more baby bear episodes and will be showing new episodes in, like, a week

There was also a surprise Infinity Train teaser, which showed Tulip probably ran away from home.

On the whole, a neat panel! I don't actually watch any of the shows that they were talking about (whoops :v:) but it was neat to hear the show creators talk about them and I do want to try and binge Craig of the Creek at least.

e: Beaten by CN themselves on the first note, the shame

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A cursed image

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Yardbomb posted:

A cursed image

It looks like it'll be produced as an OK KO ep, so I doubt it'll be bad

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

[...]On the whole, a neat panel! I don't actually watch any of the shows that they were talking about (whoops :v:)[...]

Craig is great, I bounced off of OK KO but most people like it, Bears ranges from brilliant (tote life!) to eh depending on the episodes premise/if it is a baby bears episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/boomstudios/status/1020765011365384192

Oh come on. That kinda takes the wind out of CN's sails, huh?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1020791063622176769?s=19

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

LOL, most of the top replies are about how the new character design for the main character sucks (I personally don't see how, it's mostly a simplified version of the pilot design and looks perfectly fine to me :shrug:). Also, the series creator confirmed in a reply to that Twitter thread that the talking dog from the pilot will be returning as a main character. :shittydog:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 22, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The initial poster made it seem like they were going for this kind of look, so I'm not surprised, but I AM severely disappointed. This looks even worse than RWBY. :smith:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Speaking of CN, just sat in on the CN creator's panel at SDCC and they had some neat stuff:

-Next OK KO crossover is going to be between Ben 10, Teen Titans Go, and Steven Universe

-Craig of the Creek comes back next month

-Full series of Victor and Valentinez comes out in 2019

-We Bare Bears will have even more baby bear episodes and will be showing new episodes in, like, a week

There was also a surprise Infinity Train teaser, which showed Tulip probably ran away from home.

On the whole, a neat panel! I don't actually watch any of the shows that they were talking about (whoops :v:) but it was neat to hear the show creators talk about them and I do want to try and binge Craig of the Creek at least.

e: Beaten by CN themselves on the first note, the shame

I ended up watching all of Craig of the Creek after seeing people talk about it here and I'm so glad new episodes are coming soon! The stories are a lot of fun and I love how some of these groups of kids both have their own internal drama and they interact/conflict with other groups too. It's not just them and whatever Craig's crew get up to. The comparisons to Recess are incredibly apt, so if you liked that show and how lived in the kids' world was, you'll probably like this too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I too enjoyed Craig of the Creek. I'm a sucker for shows where kids have created their own society parallel to the adult world.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

Love how some of the first few comments are people going "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS IS ACTUALLY BUTCH YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO DISCREDIT HIM"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

Love how some of the first few comments are people going "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS IS ACTUALLY BUTCH YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO DISCREDIT HIM"

Does help to verify, people are legitimately trying to do that these days.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Here are the voice actors for the main trio of the Dragon Prince:

https://twitter.com/thedragonprince/status/1020732945965838336
Glad to see Jack DeSena again, been a while since I've heard his voice in anything. It's an Avatar reunion!

https://twitter.com/AngelaMarieSays/status/1020805253166333952

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The TTG movie has a 100% on Rottentomatoes, but only a 59% from the amount of people who actually want to see it. The haters need to move on already and stop loving around with the database.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

The TTG movie has a 100% on Rottentomatoes, but only a 59% from the amount of people who actually want to see it. The haters need to move on already and stop loving around with the database.

No one has ever given a poo poo about the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes or the user reviews on IMDB or Metacritic. People barely give a poo poo about the reviewers scores on those sites.

Also the haters voting on Rotten Tomatoes aren’t the same people who want to see TTGGTTM.

[Edit: also, 61% of people saying they want to see the film on Rotten Tomatoes seems reasonable? Like, it’s a goofy kids film, not some huge blockbuster.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 22, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1020793028741615618?s=19

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"Eres atrapado"...?

Man... I really want to like Victor and Valentino, but the art is just pretty good rather than noteworthy, the sibling dynamic is pretty tired for me and the Mexican culture in display is kind of off, like, a lot is nice but then you've got basic grammar mistakes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The fox reminds me of Viva Piñata.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shitenshi posted:

gently caress me man do you think that DC's live action movies getting bad scores is a conspiracy too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm so glad this is coming to an actual series, and I absolutely love the synths. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Teen Titans Go see the actual movie and hopefully enjoy it instead of gnashing your teeth over internet review aggregators