Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

Alright, here we go.

First and foremost, the ingredients:

After combined and simmered for 5 minutes. Probably more like 7. Blame it on the :420:. Side note, thanks Haifisch for this recipe. My entire kitchen now smells like ketchup after simmering this monstrosity.

The presentation:

So, truthfully, this actually isn't as gag reflex inducing as the recipe would suggest. I don't know if it was the simmering or what, but the ketchup lost a lot of it's tang, which actually... worked? I legit can't taste anything remotely peach-flavored either, which is odd, being that peach preserves are the largest part of the recipe.

Don't take this to mean that this concocction was "good" by any means, because it wasn't. Regardless, I've come this far, so I might as well finish it. There is a very strange aftertaste that takes a while to hit - I'm just starting to get hints of it. It tastes like what I imagine styrofoam would taste like :shrug:; also, there is way too much allspice in this. It overpowers everything and really doesn't seem to compliment anything else in here.

Overall, 3/10. I'm giving it credit for actually not being terrible, and being barely-palatable. If it was a little sweeter and had more peach flavor instead of overwhelmingly allspice, I could see it being a topping I'd make as a gimmick for people.

So here's the thing. I watched a lot of Mythbusters as a kid, and I always loved when they busted the urban legend, then went ahead and would modify the parameters while keeping the spirit of the challenge, until they could at least somewhat replicate the myth. Well, I have 1 scoop of ice cream and half a jar of peach preserves I have no use currently for, so I decided to modify the recipe a little bit to try and make it... decent? Took a quick once over in my cabinets and, in trying to keep with the spirit of the recipe, I chose to only add honey to the recipe.

I did, however change the amounts. Instead of 1/4 cup of ketchup, I used 2 tbsp (sorry non-U.S. goons, I'm using the inferior Imperial system), went from a 1/4 tsp to an 1/8 tsp of allspice and added 2 tbsp of honey. Otherwise left the lemon juice and preserve amounts unchanged. After simmering, it already looks better than the original.

The presentation:

Well, it's better, but that's a low bar to clear to be honest.

Again, the allspice overwhelms the sauce, and the peach preserves taste like an afterthought. It has about as much peach flavor as a La Croix. The honey seemed to be an OK addition - it gave just enough sweetness which was what the original recipe was missing. Also again, the simmering seemed to curb a lot of the ketchup spice flavoring, which was appreciated. The ketchup was the thing I was worried about the most, just straight up ruining it.

Overall, 4/10. It was still disgusting, but more palatable than the first iteration. Would not serve to anyone. Ever. Also, it's been 2 hours since I made these, and my kitchen still reeks of ketchup. gently caress.

braver than any marine :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I will, thanks

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

THEY'RE SO DIGESTIBLE!!!

how many loving times do you have to clarify that your product is digestible and fit for human consumption

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't know why I did this, but here you go

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Our foods do break down through chewing and enzyme action, and won't become lodged in any part of your alimentary tract when consumed appropriately. That's our Crisco™ Guarantee.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Oyster shells full of ketchup? How novel.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

mng posted:

That reminded me

Have a sip.

This picture gives me flashbacks to Gummo. Those are not pleasant memories.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Thanks, I hate it

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Zipperelli. posted:

Alright, here we go.

First and foremost, the ingredients:

After combined and simmered for 5 minutes. Probably more like 7. Blame it on the :420:. Side note, thanks Haifisch for this recipe. My entire kitchen now smells like ketchup after simmering this monstrosity.

The presentation:

So, truthfully, this actually isn't as gag reflex inducing as the recipe would suggest. I don't know if it was the simmering or what, but the ketchup lost a lot of it's tang, which actually... worked? I legit can't taste anything remotely peach-flavored either, which is odd, being that peach preserves are the largest part of the recipe.

Don't take this to mean that this concocction was "good" by any means, because it wasn't. Regardless, I've come this far, so I might as well finish it. There is a very strange aftertaste that takes a while to hit - I'm just starting to get hints of it. It tastes like what I imagine styrofoam would taste like :shrug:; also, there is way too much allspice in this. It overpowers everything and really doesn't seem to compliment anything else in here.

Overall, 3/10. I'm giving it credit for actually not being terrible, and being barely-palatable. If it was a little sweeter and had more peach flavor instead of overwhelmingly allspice, I could see it being a topping I'd make as a gimmick for people.

So here's the thing. I watched a lot of Mythbusters as a kid, and I always loved when they busted the urban legend, then went ahead and would modify the parameters while keeping the spirit of the challenge, until they could at least somewhat replicate the myth. Well, I have 1 scoop of ice cream and half a jar of peach preserves I have no use currently for, so I decided to modify the recipe a little bit to try and make it... decent? Took a quick once over in my cabinets and, in trying to keep with the spirit of the recipe, I chose to only add honey to the recipe.

I did, however change the amounts. Instead of 1/4 cup of ketchup, I used 2 tbsp (sorry non-U.S. goons, I'm using the inferior Imperial system), went from a 1/4 tsp to an 1/8 tsp of allspice and added 2 tbsp of honey. Otherwise left the lemon juice and preserve amounts unchanged. After simmering, it already looks better than the original.

The presentation:

Well, it's better, but that's a low bar to clear to be honest.

Again, the allspice overwhelms the sauce, and the peach preserves taste like an afterthought. It has about as much peach flavor as a La Croix. The honey seemed to be an OK addition - it gave just enough sweetness which was what the original recipe was missing. Also again, the simmering seemed to curb a lot of the ketchup spice flavoring, which was appreciated. The ketchup was the thing I was worried about the most, just straight up ruining it.

Overall, 4/10. It was still disgusting, but more palatable than the first iteration. Would not serve to anyone. Ever. Also, it's been 2 hours since I made these, and my kitchen still reeks of ketchup. gently caress.

Not that I am in any way implying anyone should ever make this again, but the sweetness issue might have been because the recipe is from when ketchup used actual sugar, or possibly even honey, as opposed to that Heinz, which is basically red corn syrup.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cavenagh posted:

Cocktail sauce.

Which, ok, yeah, ketchup.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PubicMice posted:

Not that I am in any way implying anyone should ever make this again, but the sweetness issue might have been because the recipe is from when ketchup used actual sugar, or possibly even honey, as opposed to that Heinz, which is basically red corn syrup.

Heinz 1896 has cane sugar in it. It's supposedly the 1896 recipe, and it is as cloyingly sweet as the regular Heinz. Which was the most popular ketchup in the US whenever that repulsive peach hellbrew recipe was created.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

zedprime posted:

Cocktail sauce.

Which, ok, yeah, ketchup.

All tomato based sauces are ketchup.

Italians and Indians: fight me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

AlbieQuirky posted:

Heinz 1896 has cane sugar in it. It's supposedly the 1896 recipe, and it is as cloyingly sweet as the regular Heinz. Which was the most popular ketchup in the US whenever that repulsive peach hellbrew recipe was created.

Look, sometimes you spent the afternoon drinking consomme spiked with gin and have to come up with a pantry solution because you 'forgot' to buy chocolate sauce.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

I swear to God I saw that same face when I took the pic in the first place. I was thinking it reminded me of the oogy-boogy from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zipperelli. posted:

My entire kitchen now smells like ketchup after simmering this monstrosity.
A small cost for...whatever the hell that wound up being. :911:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cavenagh posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

All tomato based sauces are ketchup.

Italians and Indians: fight me.

only Native South Americans can say what is and isn't ketchup, don't @me

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Just eat avocado or cucumber or mango sushi if you want vegan sushi

Goddamn

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Cactus fruit sushi sounds delicious!

E: beet sushi is something I will make this week.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Cactus fruit sushi sounds delicious!

E: beet sushi is something I will make this week.

Based on my prickly pear experiences I'd expect to be spitting out seeds constantly, but that's probably not a problem since that was really only created for the Instagram shot, never intended to be eaten.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

If you want to eat cactus fruit, eat cactus fruit. You don't need to call it tuna.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

If you want to eat cactus fruit, eat cactus fruit. You don't need to call it tuna.

The fruit of the prickly pear cactus is called a 'tuna'.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'll be damned. It actually is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pham Nuwen posted:

The fruit of the prickly pear cactus is called a 'tuna'.

It's one of those things that is technically correct but almost nobody will know what the hell you're talking about if you use it, like all those times you use those "correct" terms for groups of certain animals (except the crow one).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Okay, now we need to get Elise to compare/contrast this plant placenta to human placenta.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's one of those things that is technically correct but almost nobody will know what the hell you're talking about if you use it, like all those times you use those "correct" terms for groups of certain animals (except the crow one).

Or if you live in New Mexico

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Or if you live in New Mexico

I did for a while and bought various prickly pear cactus fruits and cactus fruit based products and never heard the term.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It only comes up in situations where you would be like “Fun fact: in deep enough water, the eggs are usually called the crabs :eng101:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Forget the tuna, how is any of that sashimi?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Mmm mmm, love me a bit of chaw on a sammich. Really gives it some zing.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

GrandpaPants posted:

Forget the tuna, how is any of that sashimi?

It's a thin slice and there ain't no rice.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The absolutely beat rear end saute pan makes me think someone made this at work when they weren't very busy. Then they probably made very crude jokes while offering it to each server as they walked through the kitchen.

:allears: Sometimes I miss working in restaurants...

I used to take the brown foamy refuse from the filter of the commercial potato peeler and plate it in a dessert dish with a few stripes of chocolate syrup, dollop of whipped cream, and a cherry. Almost everyone walking by would say "ooh, what's that?" and want a bite.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jul 22, 2018

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, now we need to get Elise to compare/contrast this plant placenta to human placenta.

Maybe kinda? The mottling of seeds and sear sort of recalls the lobular, liverish texture of raw placenta, but the color is wrong— think deep black-red to bloody crimson— and no part of the organ would have sliced into rounds like that.

Plus prickly tuna tastes like bubble gum and it’s hard to imagine a good flavor outcome from a slab of slightly gritty, seed-heavy Hubba Bubba pâté that’s been caked with Tony Chachere’s.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
While you're taking requests, would you mind staring in a "Diagnosis, Murder" reboot?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Iirc, last time I used prickly pear fruit the seeds were basically hard enough to break a tooth.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Mulchy Joe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My only issue with that vegan sushi is that they call it vegan tuna sushi.

Stop calling your plant foods after real meat, vegans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cactus fruit is called tuna in spanish so maybe they just got confused?