Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol even times is getting in on the dogpile against musk and people in the comments section are melting down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJU6I9zNNsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheDon01 posted:

My prediction is we'll see a non-ironic gofundme for Tesla before the years out that will raise $200,000+ from the 'Elon Musk is saving the planet' crowd

I need to start that so I can just keep the money.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

FistEnergy posted:

:laffo: was just coming to post this. It's the WSJ, there's no way for Tesla Chuds to spin this. It's almost unprecedented and things must be very dire for Tesla to humiliate themselves and admit how bad things are.

In the EV thread, they're taking Coolness Averted's line of reasoning but without the caveat at the end, so I'm guessing thats going to be the narrative.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For any biggish company, this is SOP. Read up how Walmart REALLY fucks over it's suppliers if you want to be outraged.

So whats supposed to be the story here?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

hell yeah 2 for 2

we goin' down

:jackbud:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

etalian posted:

He's a very Trumpian leader.

But in this case the supplier has already been paid in full but Tesla is demanding that they return some of this money.

It's vaguely like when Trump owned the USFL football team, the NJ Generals, and signed Doug Flutie to what was at the time the highest paid contract in football history. He then wrote letters to all the other USFL owners demanding that they each reimburse him for a portion of that contract, because adding Flutie to the league would raise attendance and concession sales at all the games in the league :laffo: The league folded like a year later, and everyone involved blames it on trump.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
When Tesla files Chapter 11, the EV thread is going to say it's Innovative and Disruptive and the shorts are screwed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Okan170 posted:

In the EV thread, they're taking Coolness Averted's line of reasoning but without the caveat at the end, so I'm guessing thats going to be the narrative.

I think the supply chain refund demand leak and the whole mystery parking lot might mean Tesla is trying to pad their balance sheet so they can show a profit one quarter.

Tesla cuck re-cap for people who don't to read the whole bad thread
  • Telsa requests suppliers give back money for shipments all the way back to 2016
  • Nerd weirdos find mysterious parking lot with Teslas in LA
  • Tesla cut 9% of their total workforce this year in the name of cost savings
  • Telsa used a weird "Factory Gated" metric to claim victory in the 5000 car a week PR stunt
  • Lawsuit this year over Tesla buying out Solarcity's toxic business assets (Musk Relative on SolarCity board of directors)
  • Turnover in Tesla especially for top level engineer positions
  • Musk called hero diver a pedo after the diver pointed out his sub was lovely horrible solution
  • Actual Tesla financial report shows something like 11k cars which were produced but not sold for some reason
  • Whistleblower claimed Tesla hosed up their batteries and has massive CoPQ. Tesla tried to frame him by claiming he planning a attack on the company.
  • Lawyer representing above Whistleblower said he got lots of info and additional leaks for more Musk run companies when he asked for help
  • 35k Model 3 was purged from the Tesla website

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where's this EV thread

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

etalian posted:

He's a very Trumpian leader.

But in this case the supplier has already been paid in full but Tesla is demanding that they return some of this money.

Demanding or begging?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Demanding or begging?

More like begging because this literally have no legal recourse to make this happen.

I'm guessing they are desperate to pad their numbers for 4th quarter this year since they have lots of junk bond maturing
over the next 3 years.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FistEnergy posted:

When Tesla files Chapter 11, the EV thread is going to say it's Innovative and Disruptive and the shorts are screwed

Nah then it's going to be all conspiracy theories about gm and big oil spiking Musk's soylent with lsd

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There are a lot of people who would like to see Musk suffer more than apparently anyone else, including a majority of posters itt :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

comedyblissoption posted:

lol even times is getting in on the dogpile against musk and people in the comments section are melting down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJU6I9zNNsw

:eyepop: that dislike bar.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cuck!

WSJ reporter deleted his twitter after the reeking Musk brigade took exception to his not so positive model 3 review.

https://jalopnik.com/wall-street-journals-dan-neil-deletes-twitter-after-tes-1827785899

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

etalian posted:

I think the supply chain refund demand leak and the whole mystery parking lot might mean Tesla is trying to pad their balance sheet so they can show a profit one quarter.

Tesla cuck re-cap for people who don't to read the whole bad thread
  • Telsa requests suppliers give back money for shipments all the way back to 2016
  • Nerd weirdos find mysterious parking lot with Teslas in LA
  • Tesla cut 9% of their total workforce this year in the name of cost savings
  • Telsa used a weird "Factory Gated" metric to claim victory in the 5000 car a week PR stunt
  • Lawsuit this year over Tesla buying out Solarcity's toxic business assets (Musk Relative on SolarCity board of directors)
  • Turnover in Tesla especially for top level engineer positions
  • Musk called hero diver a pedo after the diver pointed out his sub was lovely horrible solution
  • Actual Tesla financial report shows something like 11k cars which were produced but not sold for some reason
  • Whistleblower claimed Tesla hosed up their batteries and has massive CoPQ. Tesla tried to frame him by claiming he planning a attack on the company.
  • Lawyer representing above Whistleblower said he got lots of info and additional leaks for more Musk run companies when he asked for help
  • 35k Model 3 was purged from the Tesla website

yea that's what they're doing. if they dont show a profit they probably can con a bunch of investors and stay afloat. without that they're hosed. if they pull this off and pull a miracle turnaround i'd hand it off to musk but this isn't lookin' good!!!

anime was right has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Jul 23, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffle House posted:

There are a lot of people who would like to see Musk suffer more than apparently anyone else, including a majority of posters itt :v:

i want to see all billionaires suffer but elon musk has tricked a bunch of people into thinking hes a Good Billionaire which is why most people want to see him eat a shoe extra bad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

yea that's what they're doing. if they dont show a profit they probably can con a bunch of investors and stay afloat. without that they're hosed.

Tesla's business model is irrational exuberance.

The company would have gone out of business if wasn't for the Obama 500 million dollar loan or institutional investors gobbling up all the new post IPO equity deals.

So Musk can essentially print money through equity as long as big money buy into his BS misdirection and hype tactics.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

elon eating poo poo will be funny for a couple hours until trump gloats on twitter that it wouldnt have happened if Crazy Elon hadnt quit the white house business council. sad!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

elon eating poo poo will be funny for a couple hours until trump gloats on twitter that it wouldnt have happened if Crazy Elon hadnt quit the white house business council. sad!

He should have been nice and respected His President!!!!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shear Modulus posted:

in what world is a trump-musk Twitter feud not amazing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

shiksa posted:

it will be especially funny because elon has the same ego as trump. trump ran for prez because obama dissed him.

elon will run as a democrat.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
actually considering how absolutely loving insanely stupid our reality is, thats now my best guess for what happens in 2020

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

anime was right posted:

actually considering how absolutely loving insanely stupid our reality is, thats now my best guess for what happens in 2020

you did it

ghostbusters style, now it's gonna be

elonocrat vs. rezucklican ticket

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shiksa posted:

well maybe they can relate since they both enjoy spousal abuse?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The Constitution gives three eligibility requirements to be president: one must be 35 years of age, a resident "within the United States" for 14 years, and a "natural born Citizen," a term not defined in the Constitution.

the dems will run him anyway, the supreme court will overthrow his presidency.

chaos dimension baby awooo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

anime was right posted:

The Constitution gives three eligibility requirements to be president: one must be 35 years of age, a resident "within the United States" for 14 years, and a "natural born Citizen," a term not defined in the Constitution.

the dems will run him anyway, the supreme court will overthrow his presidency.

chaos dimension baby awooo

nah, homie, it's gonna be musk's ultimate undoing.

after the failed presidency bid he'll do the Clinton thing where he's relegated to signing books and sadly launch rocket after rocket into space while President Mark Zuckerberg somehow manages to outgaffe donald trump because it'll turn around they're both Extremely Stable Geniuses, but he's 35 years younger so it sounds slicker than bitcoins to dying boomers

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

anime was right posted:

it will be especially funny because elon has the same ego as trump. trump ran for prez because obama dissed him.

elon will run as a democrat.

Sorry, but there's no way America would elect an African-American as president

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There's no way America would elect a sham businessman who runs everything he touches into the ground.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

etalian posted:

cuck!

WSJ reporter deleted his twitter after the reeking Musk brigade took exception to his not so positive model 3 review.

https://jalopnik.com/wall-street-journals-dan-neil-deletes-twitter-after-tes-1827785899

Uh the article says the exact opposite?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Feranon posted:

if humanity survived long enough to realize the necessity of a system that isn't "infinite growth and maximum profit at all costs" then we could make tons of awesome sturdy things that have a service life of decades, instead of companies run by captain planet villains mass producing cheap pieces of poo poo

I read somewhere that the reason IKEA is so successful is that deep down. People don't want furniture to last for 100 years like the old sturdy wood ones. People want an excuse to throw out pieces of furniture and buy new ones.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
People also have to move a lot and sometimes it's easier to buy cheap functional poo poo like IKEA shelves and chairs, instead of lugging heirloom furniture around every few years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

I read somewhere that the reason IKEA is so successful is that deep down. People don't want furniture to last for 100 years like the old sturdy wood ones. People want an excuse to throw out pieces of furniture and buy new ones.

That's why we need rules and regulations to defeat our stupid animal impulses

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tesla is just theranos all over again lmao loving hell read bad blood you cowards

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If Tesla worked like Theranos, Musk would take your Tesla money and use it to buy you a Nissan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

This is real dumb. I've got a chest of drawers that was made by a great grandad over 100 years ago and it's great, because I almost certainly won't have to ever buy a chest of drawers. There are probably things I want to spend money on less than furniture but I can't think what they are.

As a species, we are dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

forkboy84 posted:

This is real dumb. I've got a chest of drawers that was made by a great grandad over 100 years ago and it's great, because I almost certainly won't have to ever buy a chest of drawers. There are probably things I want to spend money on less than furniture but I can't think what they are.

Yeah, but then there are people who go furniture shopping for fun and who always leave IKEA with armfuls of useless crap.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If all today furniture wasn't loving consumable trash you could still enjoy change and variety in your furniture by trading/selling furniture and buying other old but refurbished/cleaned furniture somebody else traded in (as people have been doing for centuries).

This trend bothers me a lot more with cars than with furniture, though. Old cars own and I'm definitely going to look for and buy one or two of decent condition 80s vehicles of affordable makes I like and mothball them in a shed to either use once whatever I'm currently driving eats poo poo or to sell later when the already increasing value fucktouples.

Teal has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Jul 23, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

People buy IKEA furniture because it lasts long enough and not everybody has relatives or ancestors who they were able to inherit poo poo from hth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

I've been wondering about the potential of a wankel in a plugin hybrid. Let me recap;

Wankel's biggest advantages are:
- an incredible power-weight/size ratio that and everything that that allows - either you can get a regular sized car engine that'd rip the wheels off everything, or pack a regular car power into a little tiny packet
- much simpler mechanical design when it comes to moving parts; easy to maintain and repair; since you need much less materials and since it's all much more compact, it means you might as well drop in a replacement once upon a time

Wankel's biggest disadvantages are:
- very wasteful with fuel (expensive fuel-wise, fucks ecology)
- has to burn oil (expensive fuel-wise, fucks ecology)
- wears down with extensive use relatively quickly

So, anybody else sees the obvious synergy with an electric drive?
If you're driving a plugin hybrid and manage to reasonably often plug in and not use the ICE, you're hauling less dead weight around, and the dead weight you're hauling around deteriorates less (with relative difficulty of maintenance that in case of wankel is relatively less of an issue with age than run time). Hauling less dead weight will ALSO let you actually get further on the pure electricity, before you have to actually turn the ICE on; first by just being less stuff to carry around and then by freeing up extra room/weight allowance for more batteries.
You're also mitigating the amount of oil and gas you have to burn, and if you do have to burn it, it's mostly gonna be outside of cities/densely populated areas.

A gas turbine has the Wankel beat on all of these and using it in a hybrid removes the only real drawback with turbines, that they're slow to get up to full power and require complex, heavy mechanisms to make them work outside of a very narrow rev range.

Hell even a GDI 2-stroke engine with sealed bearings (so no need to burn oil) pisses all over the Wankel for both efficiency and emissions especially if tuned for a very narrow rev range. We're sticking with 4-stroke reciprocating engines because we know just about everything we need to know about them and why bother completely retooling for what will be probably only 10-15% efficiency gains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Relevant Tangent posted:

People buy IKEA furniture because it lasts long enough and not everybody has relatives or ancestors who they were able to inherit poo poo from hth.

used to be you could buy second hand furniture. or buy good furniture new