Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ALSO, is there any game that will satisfy my intense desire for no man’s sky in VR? I thought it might be elite dangerous but the thread seems do think not.

Do I have any hope here?

There's also X4: Rebirth but that game's pretty much worse than both of those games put together. Still, you can probably try it for an hour than refund it if you are really that desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah Monoculus Rift Bros!! :hfive:

I have a 1050ti in my desktop that I use for VR and it works fine. Not 1080ti good, but far from unusable.

As has been mentioned, anything supporting SteamVR will work. I plan to try ReVive tonight to see if I can get an oculus game to work ask well

Death by yogurt I can’t help you with the audio issue, I just use headphones plugged into my PC. I’ll try them in the headset tonight and see how it goes.

Sweet

I think I am going to try this out for a few days, if it works ok with reasonable framerate, return it and get an Occulus Rift

Right now my plan is park myself in a space station in low orbit around saturn, or maybe a moon of saturn, or maybe the cloud nebula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebzzgMgUzw&t=248s

And then boot up OVRDrop and load my two windows desktop screens at full size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgLnGNrJPfI&t=82s

Then... get to work?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
OVRdrop is amazing in Elite and it's super easy with Rift Home these days, you'll have a great time

I caught up on so many shows while space trucking

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah Monoculus Rift Bros!! :hfive:

Rip me, the Google Express deal doesn't work where I live, so it's $120 vs $50, a pretty substantial jump

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that’s headed into Windows Mixed Reality territory when they go on sale. R.I.P.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I ended up getting the HP WMR headset instead of the Acer due to the higher build quality. Picked them up at the microsoft store for $200 in case I didn't like them and wanted to do a return. Guess I'll give a little mini review.

Comfort:
I find this headset to be more comfortable than both the OG vive and the vive w/ DAS. I guess I have a common IPD, because I didn't need to adjust it at all. The front foam on the headset it quite nice, and the headset itself sits cleanly on the face with very little light bleed. The headband design of the headset took a little getting used to, but once I found the sweet-spot it was quite comfortable. The single knob adjustment and flip up display are amazing. 9/10

Screens:
Way better than the vive. 1440p makes a big difference, I guess. Screen door effect was reduced greatly, and the bump in resolution meant that text was actually legible. I'm very excited about the possibilities actually using my desktop in VR. I can't comment on color accuracy or brightness, since I have far from a discerning eye on this sort of thing. I will say that both the colors and brightness were not distractingly good or bad. 10/10

Controllers:
I prefer both the vive and oculus controllers greatly. The controllers aren't bad per say, but they are far from great. Ergonomics are not the best, and it seems like a lot of steam games do not support the thumbstick? That might be a setup gaff on my part, however. I do like that they have both a trackpad (meh) and thumbsticks (woo!). The triggers are average. 6/10

Tracking:
So this is the big one people were asking about. Tracking on the headset itself is perfect; imperceptible from the tracking quality of the other headsets. Tracking on the controllers was surprisingly good, but obviously not perfect. There was some shaking when I brought them close to my face, and I think some occlusion was occurring when I had my hands very close together (like to hold a pistol in Pavlov). Overall I think I need to spend some more time with the controllers before I can say for sure how good the tracking is. I can say this however; I never was affected negatively by the inside out tracking while playing a game. 7/10

Overall:
I'm very impressed by this headset and controller combo. Given that I spent a grand total of $200 on this, I'm honestly amazed at the quality/price ratio. The picture is the best I've seen in a VR set (I haven't seen the Odyssey) and the build quality rivals that of the rift. The setup of the entire system was also the easiest of any I've done. About as close to "plug and play" as you can get with VR. The inside out tracking is pretty usable, but I'll need to see how it goes over the long term. I would have no problems recommending this setup to anyone at this time. If this was $400, I'd say get a rift, but at $200 I would have a hard time recommending anything else. 8/10

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

App13 posted:

Tracking:
So this is the big one people were asking about. Tracking on the headset itself is perfect; imperceptible from the tracking quality of the other headsets. Tracking on the controllers was surprisingly good, but obviously not perfect. There was some shaking when I brought them close to my face, and I think some occlusion was occurring when I had my hands very close together (like to hold a pistol in Pavlov). Overall I think I need to spend some more time with the controllers before I can say for sure how good the tracking is. I can say this however; I never was affected negatively by the inside out tracking while playing a game. 7/10

How do you go with crouching? I have a friend with the Dell WMR headset who seems to frequently get tracking failures when he crouches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

74 hours played in H3VR. I also initially bought it, tried it for an hour and refunded it (Though it was because I had two sensors and he hadn't implemented snap turn, etc). I like guns in the same way I like cars: I have a very superficial understanding of how they work but think they're cool and love learning about obscure ones. H3VR has so many weird and wonderful guns that you're bound to find something cool even if your interest is limited.

There's no in-depth story mode if that's your jam but I think the amount of variety in things to do (Several shooting ranges, a roguelite take and hold that they're adding a bunch more content to soon, a horror survival game, a Climbey-style gymnasium, a Wild West adventure with actual horseshoe games and they're currently revamping their zombie survival mode) really gives this game a lot of legs. It just beautifully handles VR's selling point of giving you a load of tactile objects to fiddle around with and a bunch of detail you can really appreciate when you have the weapons there in your hands. The weapons feel great to fire, sound design is top notch and there's a quirky sense of humour running through it all that takes a lot of the dryness out of what is inarguably a hard sell on paper.

The controls will take a while to get used to and if you dislike or are uninterested in actual real-world guns, or you're not able to make your own fun easily, you should probably skip it (And buy Serious Sam 2 if you haven't). For my money it's easily my favourite VR game because it's either a super relaxing plinking experience where you can just pop soda cans, go skeet shooting or work on your grouping, or it's an exciting hallway shooter with guns that have a lot of personality and a ton of customisation. Anton is an extremely active dev and practically every week gives the players a bunch of new goodies to toy around with and I think it's commendable that he's made a VR shooter that hasn't had to be unnecessarily violent to be fun. If it sounds like a good time to you, I think it's an absolute much-purchase.

You can also murder sausage men with a rake so that's pretty badass

For what it's worth, I have a friend who picked it up but didn't play too much of it when he got it. As soon as he learned about Take and Hold instead of it just being a bunch of different galleries he wound up coming around on the game hard. He plays it pretty much every week now.

Just as a point of interest my top 3 VR games on STEAM are:
1) H3VR, 74 hours
2) Elite: Dangerous, 40 hours
3) Tabletop Simulator, 34 hours

H3VR is also excellent for is just practicing to properly aim in VR to :gitgud: for any other VR game. Something that also needs mentioning is you don't just get a wide breadth of weird and esoteric weapons, you can customize most of them with tactical rail accessories (if they have tac rails, of course) or change the ammo. And that's where the game can get even sillier, because you can do things like take a small 9mm handgun and turn it into a long-barrel, two-handed, semi-auto carbine with a shoulder stock.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Wheezle posted:

How do you go with crouching? I have a friend with the Dell WMR headset who seems to frequently get tracking failures when he crouches.

I haven’t had any issues, but I’ll have to try it some more to see if I can replicate that issue

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a huge fan of Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64 and Pilotwings 3D, I really like Ultrawings. I finally unlocked the next plane a rocket powered glider and holy poo poo is it crazy. The game really makes you feel the power differential between it and the starter plane, and you instantly get that you’re in a whole different vehicle with a whole different flight envelope.

The immersion in this game for me is really strong and I love it. It helps that it’s a love letter to Pilotwings and I adore those games, but it’s good enough to stand on its own without nostalgia id argue

$20 well spent. I’ll probably 100% this game, which is super rare for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just had an Echo Combat round end in a way you can only dream of;

I snuck behind the defense team near the last checkpoint, and they were all bunched up on the Flamingo focused on my teammates. Managed to perfectly throw an explosive into their midst, and shoot all three of them before they realized what the gently caress was going on and rode the Flamingo to victory :allears:.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have an old Oculus Rift DK2 (that I've finally got a PC that's capable of running games again) and am currently in the process of setting it back up.

What software is needed to run it these days?
Just the standard installer, for the actual Rift, from their website?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wheezle posted:

I've had issues looking down and crouching, if you have a solid-colored floor the tracking cameras won't have enough edges to track. No issues crouching if looking somewhere where there is contrast.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just had an Echo Combat round end in a way you can only dream of;

I snuck behind the defense team near the last checkpoint, and they were all bunched up on the Flamingo focused on my teammates. Managed to perfectly throw an explosive into their midst, and shoot all three of them before they realized what the gently caress was going on and rode the Flamingo to victory :allears:.

These are always the best moments, where you flank not just their bodies, but their souls

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Have an old Oculus Rift DK2 (that I've finally got a PC that's capable of running games again) and am currently in the process of setting it back up.

I've not heard anything about them dropping support for it, so yes, the latest version of the normal software should still work. It might require you to have an Xbox controller to complete setup, though; possibly even specifically a wireless Xbox One controller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Infinitum posted:

You can just use the current software I'm pretty sure. Keep in mind that you can not adjust IPD in software anymore, so you're stuck with whatever is default.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Oh man. Project Cars 2 in VR with a racing wheel is an amazing experience. I'm not really into cars at all, but drat. This feels so close to being in an actual car. Being able to look into turns as you take them and respond accordingly with your hands and feet feels real. Such a cool experience!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

nickhimself posted:

Oh man. Project Cars 2 in VR with a racing wheel is an amazing experience. I'm not really into cars at all, but drat. This feels so close to being in an actual car. Being able to look into turns as you take them and respond accordingly with your hands and feet feels real. Such a cool experience!

Sim racing is loving dope. Get RaceRoom (free demo) if you want to try something with better AI. Also, pick up Dirt Rally, which is often on sale for like 15. Maybe avoid that one if you're barf-prone, though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is there a good affordable racing wheel yet?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odd Mutant posted:

I spent a long time trying and the best I could do was a Logitech G920 for about 200.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Odd Mutant posted:

New, still a couple hundred at minimum. Used, try the Logitech Driving Force GT if you don't care about a box shifter. Last I checked, on ebay and Craigslist they go for under a hundred.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Driving force GT is the best entry level wheel bar none. If you need to have something brand new, the Thrustmaster t150 is the next best bet

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I picked up a G29 during prime day for $200. It feels really damned nice. I had no expectations for what a racing wheel would feel like though

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

If I pick up one of the WMR headsets, the HP is the one that seems good- are regular SteamVR games going to pose a problem? Will I be able to do the shield swap in Space Pirate Trainer? Are there any hacks to let Rift-only games play on other headsets?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If I pick up one of the WMR headsets, the HP is the one that seems good- are regular SteamVR games going to pose a problem? Will I be able to do the shield swap in Space Pirate Trainer? Are there any hacks to let Rift-only games play on other headsets?

I've been playing steam VR on the HP all day, haven't had many issues.

Note that getting the thumbsticks to work takes a little elbow grease on the custom controller config page

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

You can absolutely do that shield swap. Revive is the hack to get oculus games working and it has worked fine with wmr ime

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I only have room for a HOTAS or a driving wheel. Can I control a VR car with my HOTAS?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

jubjub64 posted:

I only have room for a HOTAS or a driving wheel. Can I control a VR car with my HOTAS?

Why would you want to?

Either just use a gamepad, or find room to store a driving wheel. Using a HOTAS to drive a car is dumb.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is violence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jubjub64 posted:

What are you planning to do with either? If you want to get into sim racing, there's no substitute for a wheel. If you want to play something like Elite, you can get by with a gamepad.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

FBS posted:

Why would you want to?

Either just use a gamepad, or find room to store a driving wheel. Using a HOTAS to drive a car is dumb.

Cojawfee posted:

What are you planning to do with either? If you want to get into sim racing, there's no substitute for a wheel. If you want to play something like Elite, you can get by with a gamepad.

Sorry, I thought it was a stupid enough question to be seen as a joke.

This guy gets it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Picked up the HP HMD today, but it requires bluetooth for the controllers, and the MS store (nor any other store near me) does not sell a USB bluetooth adapter. At least Mixed Reality is nice enough to let you use a 360 pad, SteamVR locks you out of everything without the VR controllers, neither 360 pad nor SC will let me get past 'please press back'.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
First gen VR everybody! You have to get a dongle unfortunately

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

First gen VR everybody! You have to get a dongle unfortunately

That's not first gen VR, that's just Microsoft being Microsoft.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

I played racers with a joystick for years, still drive the elite car with one, it works fine op. Definitly get a joystick over a wheel. :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who doesn't care much for guns, how much of an actual "game" is there in H3VR? I love how much attention to detail the dev has and how often he puts out consistent content, but it always just looks like Real Life Gun Simulator.

H3VR is by far my most played VR game, and it is almost entirely in the Take and Hold game mode. T&H puts you into a maze of nondescript gray hallways, you start with a gun, and you fight progressively tougher sausage-men and get more guns until you die.

I keep meaning to try some of the new VR games that have come out lately, but I just keep loading up H3VR. This poo poo is therapeutic.

You aren't wrong in it essentially being Real Life Gun Simulator, but the Gun Simulator aspect of it is so very well done and viscerally satisfying that it makes what little game there is good enough to hold me for almost 40 hours and counting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Truga posted:

I played racers with a joystick for years, still drive the elite car with one, it works fine op. Definitly get a joystick over a wheel. :v:

Please don’t troll people’s wallets

Op, you can get a driving force GT wheel for pocket change these days. The Thrustmaster T150 is also fairly cheap if you want to go new

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Geisladisk posted:

H3VR is by far my most played VR game, and it is almost entirely in the Take and Hold game mode. T&H puts you into a maze of nondescript gray hallways, you start with a gun, and you fight progressively tougher sausage-men and get more guns until you die.

I keep meaning to try some of the new VR games that have come out lately, but I just keep loading up H3VR. This poo poo is therapeutic.

You aren't wrong in it essentially being Real Life Gun Simulator, but the Gun Simulator aspect of it is so very well done and viscerally satisfying that it makes what little game there is good enough to hold me for almost 40 hours and counting.

Does the sausage waifu pillow actually block bullets? Not had a chance to play since the weeaboo patch but that video was loving hilarious trolling of everyone on reddit who constantly demanded Anton add katanas.

Well I wasn't expecting this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYITOmxZFFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verizian posted:

Does the sausage waifu pillow actually block bullets? Not had a chance to play since the weeaboo patch but that video was loving hilarious trolling of everyone on reddit who constantly demanded Anton add katanas.

Well I wasn't expecting this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYITOmxZFFk

I haven't tried with Soseji-Chan (that's its official name in the spawner now :allears:), but I can tell you that the Backpack blocks bullets just fine if you hold it in front of your face.