Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CPL593H posted:

This is not a bad idea at all.

Yeah, brokebrains love that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I actually own like 4 pops and one is the BTAS Batman, I think he looks cool :colbert: (however most of them are pretty hideous)

I don’t want any more though so if I get that set I’ll just give them to one of my friend’s kids

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Arrow's Summer Sale is now underway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well poo poo, this could get expensive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Damnit, I just put my car in the shop

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well poo poo, this could get expensive.

The only thing saving me is that I don't have a region-free Blu-ray player.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SilentChaz posted:

Being region free is both a blessing and a curse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Is this only on their site or is it in conjunction with Fopp like their usual sales?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SilentChaz posted:

A lot of them are Region A + B since they did simultaneous US and UK releases.

Here's the ones I can find so far:

Forbidden Zone (no Arrow US edition, but it's definitely region free)
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Deep Red
Too Late for Tears
Woman on the Run
Terror in a Texas Town
Between Night and Dawn
The Hills Have Eyes
A Fish Called Wanda
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Sacha Guitry: Four Films
Images
Orchestra Rehearsal
Henri Georges Clouzot's Inferno
Pulp
the Herschell Gordon Lewis films

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The only Arrow release I've ever wanted is The Apartment, but that will never be cheap, apparently.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

wa27 posted:

The only Arrow release I've ever wanted is The Apartment, but that will never be cheap, apparently.

It was released as a limited edition - they'll reissue it as a standard one for a reduced price like The Hills Have Eyes and A Fish Called Wanda.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of them are Region A + B since they did simultaneous US and UK releases.

Here's the ones I can find so far:

Also, Ermanno Olmi's The Legend of the Holy Drinker which EVERYBODY SHOULD BUY RIGHT NOW! Seriously, you've probably never heard of this film, but if you have a bit of patience and don't mind slow movies, you really shouldn't miss out on this.
Sample scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VS-8hnvbXw

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit— I should read the thread!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this only on their site or is it in conjunction with Fopp like their usual sales?

The own-site sales and the Fopp sales aren't held at the same time. Also Fopp sales typically set Arrow Video titles at £6 and Arrow Academy at £8, so that's worth bearing in mind if you have any prospect of getting to one (although their last Video sale only ended about a month or so ago).

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

Being region free is both a blessing and a curse.

Speaking of which, any recommendations on a good Region Free Blu-Ray player?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SimonCat posted:

I got a refurbished Sony model in 2016 for $110 from a seller on Amazon, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. You can't go wrong with Sony (for BD players). This looks to be a pretty good one based on reviews.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SimonCat posted:

This is similar to the one I have, which doesn't seem to be made anymore:
https://www.amazon.com/BDP-S3700-Bl...d=ALEWIQ2F9CQDR

I bought mine from multisystem.

Though, my PS3 is still my "main" player.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SimonCat posted:

http://www.codefreedvd.com/sony-bdp-s1200-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

Is what I reccd to a few people in the horror thread

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Picked up Audition, Deep Red, and Tenebrae. Wish I could really just go HAM on the giallo stuff but need to be moderately conservative.

Cheap overseas shipping, too!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Nice, finally picked up Obsession and Shivers.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kino are doing The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler in October. They’re also distributing Lady Ice for Scorpion.

Also, Step Brothers in 4k. Yeah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love that Step Brothers is one of those films that so many people agree is just absolutely great. More mainstream comedies like that, please.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Liar Lyre posted:

Also, Step Brothers in 4k. Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love that Step Brothers is one of those films that so many people agree is just absolutely great. More mainstream comedies like that, please.
I thought I would hate it based on the previews, and Will Ferrell's somewhat lovely (Especially at the time) track record. But ended up loving it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought I would hate it based on the previews, and Will Ferrell's somewhat lovely (Especially at the time) track record. But ended up loving it.

Yeah it came out during Ferrell's trend of making the exact same movie with a change of setting/profession, but it also had John C Reilly and Richard Jenkins so I knew it had to have something going for it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ferrell is good in Step Brothers, but John C Reilly is the true star. Every single one of his line deliveries is amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah it came out during Ferrell's trend of making the exact same movie with a change of setting/profession, but it also had John C Reilly and Richard Jenkins so I knew it had to have something going for it.

Pairing John C. Reilly with Ferrell is really perfect because Reilly brings a genuine quality to every single role, and that's the thing that Ferrell always seems to be lacking.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Basebf555 posted:

Pairing John C. Reilly with Ferrell is really perfect because Reilly brings a genuine quality to every single role, and that's the thing that Ferrell always seems to be lacking.

And they both clearly get each other's humour and can build on it. Plus Jenkins is the greatest straight man.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So what you guys are saying is I need to watch Step Brothers?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
POW!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

So what you guys are saying is I need to watch Step Brothers?

If for nothing else than the feeling of wanting to die during Adam Scott and his family's intro, yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Ringer put up an oral history of Step Brothers the other day, what I saw seemed worth a read. https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/movies/2018/7/10/17540704/step-brothers-oral-history-will-ferrell-john-c-reilly-adam-mckay

And to the poster who hasn’t seen it, if it’s just cos you never got around to it rather than a hatred of Farrell or something then yes. Takes the most silly premise and runs wild with it. Never drags, insanely rewatchable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
BOATS & HOS

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Family Video's currently having a 50% off sale on their selection of MVD Entertainment titles. A couple of notables from the list

Return of Swamp Thing
Forbidden Zone
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
City of the Dead
Don't Look in the Basement
The Violence Movie
My Friend Dahmer
Ruby
Twilight People

https://www.familyvideo.com/deals/mvd-july-sale

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow's edition of Forbidden Zone is a little better - the 5.1 and mono tracks are lossless DTS-HD MA, while MVD used plain DTS. And it's one of Arrow's region free releases.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’ve never heard of MVD, are they quality releases?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to get a lot of promo stuff from MVD, they used to mainly distribute things Iike Arrow, Unearthed etc. Seemed a decent bunch.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think MVD are fairly new to the boutique label scene. They have some cool stuff like Killer Tomatoes and Black Eagle, but also stuff like the Barbershop trilogy and Basic Instinct 2. Like I’m glad those movies are getting nice distribution, but was anyone really clamoring for those?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
It's taken me forever but I finally sat down and powered through Flicker Alley's collection of American Avant-garde and Experimental films. Some real hidden gems in there, most of them look incredible, and surprisingly a lot of them made my rear end in a top hat cat zen out and just watch the screen. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Even if Arrow's version is a hair better, I still highly suggest Forbidden Zone if you're into vintage cartoons (and all the problematic stuff that tends to come with them), New Wave, titties and Satan.