Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cythereal posted:

I'm watching '98 Godzilla (it was free at the library), and one thing I do appreciate about Zilla: he is such a goddamn troll to the military you have to figure it's on purpose. Sure he could sink all the submarines in the bay himself... but way more fun to get the humans to sink themselves. And of course toying with the helicopters and MLRS units.

The Looney Tunes quality of those sequences is definitely a high point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

K. Waste posted:

The Looney Tunes quality of those sequences is definitely a high point.

It's a Godzilla movie where the military does more damage to the city than Godzilla does, which is kind of impressive.

I genuinely like Zilla's concept as a kaiju, I think. Not as Godzilla, but she's a fine monster - she's shockingly fast, very agile, digs through the ground with ease, is clearly intelligent enough to enjoy loving with humans (and avoid traps), and spawns Jurassic Park style raptors wherever she goes. She even loving parkours on skyscrapers in a couple of bits.

That's not a bad kaiju concept at all, I think. Not one of the more apocalyptic kaiju Godzilla's ever seen, certainly, and even aside from Final Wars I think most Godzillas wouldn't have much trouble with Zilla, but there's a genuinely decent monster and its brood in this movie with a solid visual design to them.

It's just stuck in a bad movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What’s the consensus on Kong: Skull Island? Because man I think it’s a lot of fun and skull crawlers/skull devil for the kaiju and their boss is :discourse:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Calaveron posted:

What’s the consensus on Kong: Skull Island? Because man I think it’s a lot of fun and skull crawlers/skull devil for the kaiju and their boss is :discourse:

It was fun, but I'm not sure that I would call it *good* per se

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skull island Is a B movie with a 200million dollar budget.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skull Island is fun as hell and has one of my favorite trailers ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

This, which is basically why I like it. The design for Kong and the Skull Crawlers was also very cool.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Skull Island could be an absolute loving dogshit movie in every other possible aspect and it would still be worth it alone for Kong unsheathing a tree like a god drat katana.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loved Skull Island - hit every note and it’s raised by some awesome human actors.

That goddamn spider scene is so loving good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Skull Island is the 2nd best Kong movie and one of the best Kaiju movies ever made.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah it was a fun movie!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like you have the scene of all the seismic charges blowing up reflected on that dude’s aviators and you know everyone involved in that movie had a blast

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cythereal posted:

It's a Godzilla movie where the military does more damage to the city than Godzilla does, which is kind of impressive.

I genuinely like Zilla's concept as a kaiju, I think. Not as Godzilla, but she's a fine monster - she's shockingly fast, very agile, digs through the ground with ease, is clearly intelligent enough to enjoy loving with humans (and avoid traps), and spawns Jurassic Park style raptors wherever she goes. She even loving parkours on skyscrapers in a couple of bits.

That's not a bad kaiju concept at all, I think. Not one of the more apocalyptic kaiju Godzilla's ever seen, certainly, and even aside from Final Wars I think most Godzillas wouldn't have much trouble with Zilla, but there's a genuinely decent monster and its brood in this movie with a solid visual design to them.

It's just stuck in a bad movie.

See, that's the thing: By any measure, Godzilla is actually a pretty good giant monster movie, filled with good action sequences, a highly sympathetic portrayal of the monster contrasted with the boondoggling military and political bosses, the score is infectious, and it's all set against the backdrop of a NYC romantic comedy.

The issue is that in addition to Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, Godzilla more generally simply harkens back to giant monster films as a genre. For instance, the film makes explicit reference to It Came from Beneath the Sea, and ultimately the threat that Godzilla poses to humanity in the film is closer to Them!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shea Whigham had the best death in skull island.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm a huge fan of Skull Island almost entirely for the hosed up kaiju ecosystem. I just love that they act like real animals. (kinda)

The bit where the alpha Skullcrawler is hesitates and smacks aside the guy trying to get it to eat him and all his grenades was great. Apparently, predators IRL will hesitate like that around prey that seems eager to be eaten. (because that usually means it's poisonous)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I liked Skull Island but I thought the evil monsters suffered from having the least interesting visual design of all the monsters on the island.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pity that the Okami tigers with antlers didn't make it into the movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

K. Waste posted:

See, that's the thing: By any measure, Godzilla is actually a pretty good giant monster movie, filled with good action sequences, a highly sympathetic portrayal of the monster contrasted with the boondoggling military and political bosses, the score is infectious, and it's all set against the backdrop of a NYC romantic comedy.

The issue is that in addition to Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, Godzilla more generally simply harkens back to giant monster films as a genre. For instance, the film makes explicit reference to It Came from Beneath the Sea, and ultimately the threat that Godzilla poses to humanity in the film is closer to Them!

Oh, I think the movie in general is still trash. The human cast is a bunch of awful to mediocre actors in one note and badly written roles, and most of them are idiots. Too little Zilla in the movie for my liking, and it's not effective teasing like G14 - Zilla emerges from the sea, stomps around Manhattan, and... just kinda disappears. Apparently seismic sensors don't exist in this movie, which would easily have detected Zilla moving underground. Zilla's size also fluctuates dramatically from scene to scene, being at any given moment exactly the size to make things dramatic.

Zilla's a neat kaiju and by that light (rather than judging it as a Godzilla) this isn't the worst Godzilla flick ever made, but it's certainly down there.

King of the Monsters seems to be suggesting that the Legendary kaiju were once all part of the same primeval ecosystem, and if that's meant to be the case, Zilla feels like she could fit in... as a prey species. Her rapid, downright explosive breeding strategy is the kind of thing you see in real life among species whose total role in the ecosystem is "get eaten."

United States military, y'all just got humiliated by the kaiju equivalent of a cottontail rabbit, or maybe just a squirrel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I think the movie in general is still trash. The human cast is a bunch of awful to mediocre actors in one note and badly written roles, and most of them are idiots. Too little Zilla in the movie for my liking, and it's not effective teasing like G14 - Zilla emerges from the sea, stomps around Manhattan, and... just kinda disappears. Apparently seismic sensors don't exist in this movie, which would easily have detected Zilla moving underground. Zilla's size also fluctuates dramatically from scene to scene, being at any given moment exactly the size to make things dramatic.

Zilla's a neat kaiju and by that light (rather than judging it as a Godzilla) this isn't the worst Godzilla flick ever made, but it's certainly down there.

King of the Monsters seems to be suggesting that the Legendary kaiju were once all part of the same primeval ecosystem, and if that's meant to be the case, Zilla feels like she could fit in... as a prey species. Her rapid, downright explosive breeding strategy is the kind of thing you see in real life among species whose total role in the ecosystem is "get eaten."

United States military, y'all just got humiliated by the kaiju equivalent of a cottontail rabbit, or maybe just a squirrel.

Fire Emblem Awakening taught me that giant rabbits are nothing to gently caress with.

Godzilla The Series is still better than it had any right to be, and had the surviving Zilla grow into something more resembling traditional Godzilla. Would still make sense as a mid-range carnivore, maybe a monitor lizard to Godzilla's komodo dragon.

(though on thinking, the female MUTO basically serves Zilla's role in 2014)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
98 is really good because it allowed this into existence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening taught me that giant rabbits are nothing to gently caress with.

Godzilla The Series is still better than it had any right to be, and had the surviving Zilla grow into something more resembling traditional Godzilla. Would still make sense as a mid-range carnivore, maybe a monitor lizard to Godzilla's komodo dragon.

(though on thinking, the female MUTO basically serves Zilla's role in 2014)

If the series ever cared to, I think I could even accept Zilla as a close relative of the true Godzillas - different species, probably different genus, but a member of that family.

I'm wondering if that talk of primordial ecosystems is going to be the big twist about Ghidorah in King of the Monsters. The Mutos were explicitly part of the same ecosystem as Godzilla, and it's not hard to guess that Mothra and Rodan are also survivors from that era. But I'm thinking this Ghidorah is going back to his roots and the movie's plot is going to hinge on revealing that Ghidorah truly is an alien from another world. Would make dramatic sense, especially if Rodan pulls a face turn, and provide a beautiful (and probably lethal) irony to the ecoterrorist lady who thinks she's restoring the natural order of the planet when she unwittingly unleashes a terrifying alien who's scourged entire worlds of life.

I dunno, I'm a casual Godzilla fan at best (only saw G14 for the first time checking out from the library), but King of the Monsters has me more excited than I've been for a movie in a very long time.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 23, 2018

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Millie Bobby Brown will sing the Mothra song in this new movie and i will stake my life on that claim

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cythereal posted:

If the series ever cared to, I think I could even accept Zilla as a close relative of the true Godzillas - different species, probably different genus, but a member of that family.

I'm wondering if that talk of primordial ecosystems is going to be the big twist about Ghidorah in King of the Monsters. The Mutos were explicitly part of the same ecosystem as Godzilla, and it's not hard to guess that Mothra and Rodan are also survivors from that era. But I'm thinking this Ghidorah is going back to his roots and the movie's plot is going to hinge on revealing that Ghidorah truly is an alien from another world. Would make dramatic sense, especially if Rodan pulls a face turn, and provide a beautiful (and probably lethal) irony to the ecoterrorist lady who thinks she's restoring the natural order of the planet when she unwittingly unleashes a terrifying alien who's scourged entire worlds of life.

I dunno, I'm a casual Godzilla fan at best (only saw G14 for the first time checking out from the library), but King of the Monsters has me more excited than I've been for a movie in a very long time.

I'd be totally down for that, though I was also thinking that Ghidorah could be a one-off mutant freak as a result of being conjoined triplets. Hey, maybe both.

The ARG has also implied Hedorah, in that the first suspected superorganism activity was The Great London Smog, I wanna see what that looks like.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if this is the direction they took. It's interesting that on the viral Monarch site, Ghidorah is designated "Monster Zero", and whereas Rodan and Mothra both have species classifications - Titanus Rodan and Titanus Mothra - Ghidorah is listed as "unknown". It definitely lends credence to the idea that while the other monsters are just members of a naturally occurring species, Ghidorah is something singular, maybe outside the natural order.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

frank.club posted:

98 is really good because it allowed this into existence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug

Apropos of nothing, but the song got mentioned,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neka58JplAQ

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Pumped about the Mothra unfurling so i'm rewatching one of the best film essays of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCseZLVxBQ

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

Apropos of nothing, but the song got mentioned,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neka58JplAQ

is there anytthing that song doesnt improve

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Like you have the scene of all the seismic charges blowing up reflected on that dude’s aviators and you know everyone involved in that movie had a blast
Skull Island had some fuckin' wild shots.

Also every monster scene ends with a super-closeup on Sam Jackson's "I'm extremely Moby Dick now" eyes it rules.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 23, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I knew the movie was for me when there was Sam Raimi shots the first time Kong shows up.

@2:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXCwpPkWtxI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was Moby Dick the first kaiju movie?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was Moby Dick the first kaiju movie?

That depends on your definition, I guess. There were films with lizards dressed up as weird 'dinosaurs' chasing cavemen at least as far back as 1914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76h5N131nTI&t=421s

The first film adaptation of Moby Dick wasn't until 1926

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like that they seem to continue with the idea that Godzilla is not the real enemy.

I also like the above suggestion that earlier extinction events are kaiju related, I think there's a good chance they'll make that connection. I can see how smaller events, like the Toba eruption, might be explained by them stirring for a bit before going back to sleep.

I also think that Ghidorah will be the main baddie in the end, and all the other monsters will gang up on him (if nothing else to cut him down to size). Rodan will likely bite it, but Godzilla will rip Ghidorah right the gently caress apart.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 23, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxpELpvjMA

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another theory about the movie: we know Mothra emerges in the middle of a torrential storm, and that Ghidorah causes storms like that just by existing. We also know that this Mothra is heavily themed as a being of heavenly light, and there's a couple split-second shots in the trailer of Mothra completely lit up above the kid who's sheltering in some ruins.

I'm guessing Mothra will be a late-comer to the scene, after Godzilla (and maybe Rodan) have fought Ghidorah and lost. And in the middle of Ghidorah's storm that's blotted out the sun and cast the world into literal darkness, dawn symbolically breaks as Mothra lights up the sky like a new sun, forcing Ghidorah back and letting Godzilla and the humans (and maybe Rodan) catch their breath and rally to the protector goddess.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mothra dies in this movie - it is Mothra and dying but leaving kids to take up her cause and finish the fight is a regular thing with her - but I suspect she's going to be played completely straight as a truly benevolent and gentle kaiju to contrast Godzilla's cranky old antihero vein.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mothra and Rodan are probably the “good”
To face Ghidorah. Godzilla will probably be presented as a true neutral entity that is only aligning to deal with Ghidorah because he wants to just chill and sleep and this giant fucker raising storms and destroying the world is not letting him do it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/uejini/status/1020997387269988353

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do not know why but I am hype for this movie and I haven’t been hype for a movie in a long while.

I agree with the assessment above on some kind of sequence of events but can flip flop Mothra and Godzilla around on who is gonna save the day. Rodan seems like he’s going to have the first go, then the world gets dark and stormy so Godzilla comes in with the ruckus, then it seems when everything is pitch black Mothra rises. All based on the trailer. I actually wonder if Rodan is going to be killed. I also assume people gonna die in the temple explosion when the volcano erupts like Ken Watanabes character

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 23, 2018

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That depends on your definition, I guess. There were films with lizards dressed up as weird 'dinosaurs' chasing cavemen at least as far back as 1914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76h5N131nTI&t=421s

The first film adaptation of Moby Dick wasn't until 1926

https://youtu.be/7-7SJ2jXBzI
The Pet (1921) is an animated reinterpretation of a 1905 comic strip by comic icon Windsor McCay. The Pet (as far as I know please correct me if I’m wrong) is the first movie that has a giant animal causing mischief in an urban setting, looming over buildings and there being a police or government response, the kind of stuff we associate with modern kaiju movies. McCay’s work, which often involved dinosaurs or enlarged domestic pets is a missing link in the DNA of these movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Conquest of the Pole 1912 is the first giant monster movie.

It features an Ice Giant that comes in and begins to attack our main cast, fending off artillery strikes and the like all the while. Even done with a giant life sized super puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGuRCwVCD0

fact of the day for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When did The Lost World film come out? That one had a Brontosaurus running loose in London. It had to have been the 20s.