Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why are you putting any of your own time or money into a rental?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This was going to be my question.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Possibly not in the US? I think it's a lot more common in Europe for people to do work in rentals, it's more like the landlord leases you the structure and you are free to handle all sorts of fittings.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol what a racket

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Never make capital improvements to property you do not own.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I don't understand this house. It's like they were aiming for a McMansion but didn't even try to make it look expensive or copy any particular style of architecture so it's just a weird mish-mash of siding materials and rooflines.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly I don't mind it that much? It's basically the same house as a mcmansion, but without the comically overdone gaudy styling.

It's not amazing, but.. it's not the worst thing ever, either. There was at least an effort made to keep the windows vaguely similar, the roofline is a little crazy but it's not a total chaos zone. The rocks and the weird green shingles are a little out of place but I don't know if completely uninterrupted beige siding would have been better.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

I don't understand this house. It's like they were aiming for a McMansion but didn't even try to make it look expensive or copy any particular style of architecture so it's just a weird mish-mash of siding materials and rooflines.

Brother, what do you think a mcmansion is? I'm guess it's probably someone's dream home that they totally designed for themselves, and they thought that a few touches of 'nicer' materials would make up for going cheap on everything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Youth Decay posted:

This house looks like it was made in Minecraft by someone who installed some mods but still builds like it’s their first day playing.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

hailthefish posted:

Honestly I don't mind it that much? It's basically the same house as a mcmansion, but without the comically overdone gaudy styling.

It's not amazing, but.. it's not the worst thing ever, either. There was at least an effort made to keep the windows vaguely similar, the roofline is a little crazy but it's not a total chaos zone. The rocks and the weird green shingles are a little out of place but I don't know if completely uninterrupted beige siding would have been better.

I just really hate the front and back porches that were tacked on for some vaguely Pacific Northwest Modern thing with the wood columns and blue-gray Hardi-Plank. I've seen that done on remodeled ranch houses but not on new McMansion construction like this.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Still looks better than any mcmansion on mcmansionhell.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wrap it in a normal, consistent siding and remove whatever the gently caress is in the backyard and it would be just fine.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wrap it in a normal, consistent siding and remove whatever the gently caress is in the backyard and it would be just fine.

I assume that's the faux stone covered backside of a huge barbecue

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It looks like an outdoor fireplace based on the last picture. Nothin' wrong with some booze around the fire on a quiet night off.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

If they removed that weird asymmetrical second story part with the builder window it would almost look nice.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 23, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It looks like an outdoor fireplace based on the last picture. Nothin' wrong with some booze around the fire on a quiet night off.

Yeah, it's not all that big, just very poorly photographed in the second picture which makes it look huge.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Ashcans posted:

Possibly not in the US? I think it's a lot more common in Europe for people to do work in rentals, it's more like the landlord leases you the structure and you are free to handle all sorts of fittings.

Platystemon posted:

Never make capital improvements to property you do not own.

Europe. Or more specifically the Netherlands. In some rental homes the owner does the flooring, paints the walls etc, and you pay extra. In other rentals you're expected to do all of it yourself. The owner is still the one responsible for all of the wiring and plumbing, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Sometimes it's worth it for the quality of life improvement over the time you live there. I've done a bunch of minor upgrades to the house I'm renting over time, but I've also been here for three and a half years and plan to stay for the forseeable future. Between paint, a few fancy switches, a couple of light fixtures I've probably put a few hundred dollars in to "permanent" upgrades to the house I'm renting, but I feel that cost comes out to basically nothing per day over the years I've been here and intend to remain.

If something breaks, it's the landlord's problem. If I want something better than what's already there, I ask the landlord if they have any problem with what I want and then I upgrade it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah but are you stripping wallpaper?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That stepped thing looks like one of those walls they put the sign for the motel on, right?

e: drat; I've seen them a million times on that TV show where bald midget goes around telling fat hotel owners they probably shouldn't use moldy mattresses but this is the best I could GIS up:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 23, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I did, but it was falling off in several places. It's what I would do anyway, because wallpaper falling off is a sign of water damage. Luckily it doesn't look like the wall has been damaged (yet), and the mould came off quickly with some bleach.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If he's in a place that isn't :911: :patriot: the renter's laws could be different and he might basically have a place set for life if he wants it.
The U.S. home rental system is a little antagonistic in its expected rate hikes and storied inability to get landlords to make basic improvements (or in some cases, remediate major issues lol), so the mentality of it's not mine to fix is baked in.

This sounds like some work to make the place nicer, but also some foresight to check if the leak/mold was going to be something the landlord would need to invest to fix before it became a huge concern.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Agreed. I’d say most of what’s wrong here, aside from the asymmetry is the gross beige or whatever is going on there. Porch area is a little dark imo but fine.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

That stepped thing looks like one of those walls they put the sign for the motel on, right?

It looks like the backside of an outdoor oven/kitchen thing to me

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
That backyard is going to be dark as hell, no exterior lighting on the house at all. Only those lovely solar LED lights in the rocks that divide the concrete patio from the rest of the backyard for whatever reason. Also siding that doesn't go all the way down the wall on the one side.

Its like a normal sized house with 3 extra clumps of house tacked onto it. If you had maybe just 2 of those clumps or something it'd look fine. Either the dark grey accent siding OR the multi colored stone facade stuff but not both. Pretty mild on the McMansion scale of horrors. The interior of the house is pretty nice for the most part and not over the top. The stone floors in the kid's play room is off-putting and I don't know why they have 2 dining tables within 15 feet of one another, with one of them right in the middle of their kitchen. And they have those fancy windows above the sunroom overlooking the back yard and covered them up with the shittiest cheapest blinds they could find.

The backyard's view of the woods is fuckin' gorgeous though, its a shame that the fireplace thing they built is so huge and cumbersome and blocks alot of the view. From the back it looks like it'd be a grill and counter space but the whole thing is just a fireplace and then storage for wood on either side.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Picture of the other side is in the listing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Blew their budget and couldn’t get a patio set lmao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
McMansion should be wordfiltered in this forum. You guys are running it into the ground.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

McMansion should be wordfiltered in this forum. You guys are running it into the ground.

Petition to word filter McMansion into BigFactory

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have to say by large I don't care for american house design. At least this modern stuff, 99% of everything posted here I think. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like, the windows, the look of the facades, maybe it's a myriad of small issues that gives an off vibe to the whole.

Personally I have acquired a liking for old houses of the traditional swedish/finnish design myself lately, they are timbered houses, like this house I snapped a few days ago, houses like this can stand for centuries.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have to say by large I don't care for american house design. At least this modern stuff, 99% of everything posted here I think. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like, the windows, the look of the facades, maybe it's a myriad of small issues that gives an off vibe to the whole.

It's the siding that kills them for me.

Personally I have acquired a liking for old houses of the traditional swedish/finnish design myself lately, they are timbered houses, like this house I snapped a few days ago, houses like this can stand for centuries.

I like it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Great shot from 2mi away my man. Frame that one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Great shot from 3.21869km away my man. Frame that one.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was as close as I could get from the road. Have a random GIS image for better close up of said style

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pre-emptive answer to people wanting to know why the gently caress they're all red: they're painted with "red earth" which gets its red hue from iron oxide. HTH :tipshat:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

"A myriad of small issues" is the exact right way to describe it, because that's how they're being made. Modern CAD software makes it possible to lego a bunch of poo poo together into a structurally sound building. So that's how custom houses get designed, picking options off a screen and ending up with random mish-mash of styles and elements.

Meanwhile there are still non-mcmansion homes being built in america, but most of those are kinda poo poo too. They're not as visually offensive as the mcmansion style stuff, but they're obviously cheap and built large on small lots. Square footage is king so there's lots of compromises to make the houses as big as possible on a small budget. Lastly they're stamped out in subdivisions where every tree gets cut down so they can build easier and move heavy trucks through. So you end up with cheap boxes spaced too closely together on a visually unappealing moonscape.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does the scale of that house seem off to anyone else?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

"A myriad of small issues" is the exact right way to describe it, because that's how they're being made. Modern CAD software makes it possible to lego a bunch of poo poo together into a structurally sound building. So that's how custom houses get designed, picking options off a screen and ending up with random mish-mash of styles and elements.

Meanwhile there are still non-mcmansion homes being built in america, but most of those are kinda poo poo too. They're not as visually offensive as the mcmansion style stuff, but they're obviously cheap and built large on small lots. Square footage is king so there's lots of compromises to make the houses as big as possible on a small budget. Lastly they're stamped out in subdivisions where every tree gets cut down so they can build easier and move heavy trucks through. So you end up with cheap boxes spaced too closely together on a visually unappealing moonscape.

I don't know if this type of dense construction is good or not, but in my area some of the builders have started setting up "six pack" homes where they put 6 detached, single family houses together with a shared driveway. They bill them as "walkable communities" and are usually not too far from a communal park or clubhouse or whatever

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My house fortunately didn't have any, but if it had and it was as ugly as some of the paint colors were (which is likely because IMO most wallpaper is ugly) I probably would have been. And yes, I do know how annoying it is to use the steam gun and scraper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

I did, but it was falling off in several places. It's what I would do anyway, because wallpaper falling off is a sign of water damage. Luckily it doesn't look like the wall has been damaged (yet), and the mould came off quickly with some bleach.

Bleach is not an effective mold remediation product. It does not penetrate, and the mold you see on the surface is just part of the organism. Bleach rapdily neutralizes so it has no long-term remediation effect, and it does not penetrate to kill the mold below the surface. It is OK to use on completely nonporous surfaces like glass, but in the case of glass, no product is needed because it will come off with nothing more than a damp sponge.

You should treat the wall with a lasting mold remediation product. In the US I'd recommend Concrobium; I don't know if that is available in your country.