Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right, I take back my Chris accusation. I gotta accuse someone though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m gonna be the rear end in a top hat that says it

I thought the Jerkloose tweet was kind of funny

it was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is literally a Drax tweet.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, the victors in the culture war are definitely going to be guys who produce no culture whatsoever.

It is cute that you believe this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

This is literally a Drax tweet.

it's more of an aragorn tweet but w/e

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m gonna be the rear end in a top hat that says it

I thought the Jerkloose tweet was kind of funny

it is, honestly, but the thing about comedy as a fan of standup comics is they spend a lot of time workshopping jokes. comedy is a tricky thing to navigate and twitter rewards shitposting without thought.

The best Marvel tweet about rapist Nazis like Cernovich was done by Captain America already.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chris Evans and Dave Bautista rolling through Charlottesville rally dressed as Cap and Kratos, slam-jamming Nazis and slapping Pepe flags and tiki torches out of people’s hands, is the music video I never knew I wanted until right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wendell posted:

This is kind of the attitude that the Nazis gleefully take advantage of; that a need to root out traitors for any reason so you can feel like you've accomplished something, regardless of whether they remotely deserve it. And it's allies who make the easiest targets.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I love me a good shitshow.

Content: Disney really, really should have at least pretended to wait and carefully consider the issue for several days before firing Gunn, rather than (apparently) firing him within hours of Mike Cernovich's campaign against him.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 23, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wendell posted:

J'accuse!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

james gunn sounds super :gbs: and he should have been placed on comedy probation, however, mike cernovich should be PERMABANNED f you know what i mean, also disney should be nationalized and basicallyh full communism now peace

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
There is a petition for Disney to reverse their decision and rehire James Gunn (...if he even wants to be rehired after Disney threw him under the bus...) that is about to go past 150,000 signatures. Still climbing. Even if a lot of the signatures were hypothetically bots or something, that seems pretty impressive to me. Do petition signatures usually climb this high this fast?

So in my opinion it remains to be seen who Disney values more; a handful of right wing white supremacists, or the audience that made them billions of dollars.

Considering how whack just about everything has been in this country lately, I assume the worst. Also I know that petitions rarely work. Still, seeing what I think is a big pushback to this nonsense makes me feel a little better about one of my favorite movie franchises being utterly smashed to bits over an ancient and resolved issue by a handful of terroristic hypocritical Trump fanatics with grudges. Well not really, but I think you guys know what I mean.

Here’s the petition if it hasn’t already been posted a million times and I missed it.

https://www.change.org/p/marvel-re-hire-james-gunn

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I signed it.

This post can come back to haunt me if Gunn murdered someone years ago but whatever. Even if he doesn't get it back, I just don't want there to be this horrible stigma that ends his film career. His films mean a lot to me, and one of them even sorta helped me work through some issues I was dealing with. So yey for that.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

melbatoastXXX posted:

There is a petition for Disney to reverse their decision and rehire James Gunn (...if he even wants to be rehired after Disney threw him under the bus...) that is about to go past 150,000 signatures. Still climbing. Even if a lot of the signatures were hypothetically bots or something, that seems pretty impressive to me. Do petition signatures usually climb this high this fast?

So in my opinion it remains to be seen who Disney values more; a handful of right wing white supremacists, or the audience that made them billions of dollars.

Considering how whack just about everything has been in this country lately, I assume the worst. Also I know that petitions rarely work. Still, seeing what I think is a big pushback to this nonsense makes me feel a little better about one of my favorite movie franchises being utterly smashed to bits over an ancient and resolved issue by a handful of terroristic hypocritical Trump fanatics with grudges. Well not really, but I think you guys know what I mean.

Here’s the petition if it hasn’t already been posted a million times and I missed it.

https://www.change.org/p/marvel-re-hire-james-gunn

I'm sure they won't rehire him, they'd look like morons. But it does make them look like morons either way. Dumb kneejerk firings are dumb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nerds love online petitions

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney blinked; if they hadn't taken the bait, I bet no one would care about the tweets by now. Petition's past 150k and rising as I type, and probably already outnumbering the people sincerely raging about deleted bad taste tweets on twitter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krankenstyle posted:

I loving hate them and I want them to go away forever.

Please help me achieve this goal, it will only take a few seconds of your time
https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-ban-petitions

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i was actually going to sign that too...

Anyway, Dan Harmon looks to be the next target. He made a gross video that I can't find because it apparently was taken down in 2012, and he has a sex with a baby doll? I don't know if he had a point or just wanted to be edgy. But it, like the Gunn tweets, was just a nasty gross joke. That being said, some right wingers found it and are now using that as proof that's a pedophile, they made a video of it and only seemed to use the grossest clips, and there doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it, so that video is all you have.

Since he deleted it. It was scrubbed. Gone.

So here we go folks.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
wonder if anyone will argue that filming yourself "raping" a baby doll is totally normal and we've all done it and who are we to judge and he was only in his early thirties (basically a kid) and has clearly changed since then and

edit: apparently the video was intended as a parody of the Dexter show, only rather than kill murderers to prevent murder he rapes babies to somehow prevent them from becoming criminals. I don't loving know

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

None of these people are normal. They're all weird outcast artists who talk to other weird outcast artists who come up with dark dumb poo poo to make each other laugh. Sometimes you get like...house of cosby's, and sometimes you get Daryl.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Anyway, Dan Harmon looks to be the next target. He made a gross video that I can't find because it apparently was taken down in 2012, and he has a sex with a baby doll? I don't know if he had a point or just wanted to be edgy. But it, like the Gunn tweets, was just a nasty gross joke. That being said, some right wingers found it and are now using that as proof that's a pedophile, they made a video of it and only seemed to use the grossest clips, and there doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it, so that video is all you have.

So here we go folks.

Oh man, they're going to flip their lids when someone tells them about Roiland's Doc and Mharti animations

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He made bad jokes, now he makes good jokes, hire him damnit

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
All this equivocation around Gunn getting fired reminds me of the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo shootings and makes my gut churn. Nazis and religious nuts don’t get to determine what speech is appropriate. Or dole out consequences.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Remulak posted:

All this equivocation around Gunn getting fired reminds me of the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo shootings and makes my gut churn. Nazis and religious nuts don’t get to determine what speech is appropriate. Or dole out consequences.

But they know how to play to a very vocal crowd and that's what matters

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I will relish the day Mike Cernovich finally goes down for the all awful poo poo he's done. But Christ, maybe that one poster would have a better understanding of why this whole situation could set a dangerous precedent if you guys weren't calling them a loving Nazi rape apologist for not liking child rape jokes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is kind of the attitude that the Nazis gleefully take advantage of; that a need to root out traitors for any reason so you can feel like you've accomplished something, regardless of whether they remotely deserve it. And it's allies who make the easiest targets.

Did you think I was serious, or did you just want to use my obvious fake-posting to launch into your speech about poo poo we all already know?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

About supporting millionaires who will probably be making a movie with Blumhouse within the next two years.

At one point this discussion should probably just go to the comics thread because it's clearly not about sexual assault or direct sexual harassment.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000

Equeen posted:

I will relish the day Mike Cernovich finally goes down for the all awful poo poo he's done.

Cernovich has caused so much trouble with outright lies and defamation of character and slander you would think there is some law on the books he has criminally broken if not several. He has even sparked situations that have literally endangered people’s lives.

But, considering the times we live in and his motives, Cernovich is probably unprosecutable. I think you guys understand what I mean. Argh.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000

Timeless Appeal posted:

At one point this discussion should probably just go to the comics thread because it's clearly not about sexual assault or direct sexual harassment.

I disagree. This counts 100% as sexual harassment since all Cernovich’s manipulations always involve some sort of libelous shocking sexual accusation because that’s what he uses to make his followers froth at the mouth.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CelticPredator posted:

So here we go folks.

Ehhhhhh. Dan Harmon has already had it come out that he sexually harassed a female writer on staff and then later apologized for it. Adult Swim is a completely different company from Disney and know what they were getting into after hiring that manic depressive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://cinemasangha.com/2018/07/22/youre-not-allowed-to-change/

This is a very good essay on the Gunn firing.

quote:

Gunn has been on a purposeful journey of self-realization. He has addressed his old self – both directly and in his art – and has attempted to make a new self. And yet the old self hangs around his neck like a millstone, at least in the minds of the public. I’ve seen too many bad takes on Twitter that boil down to “James Gunn should have been fired for these tweets, but it’s bad that the alt-right got their way.”

No, James Gunn shouldn’t have been fired for these tweets, because the James Gunn who works for Disney didn’t make those tweets. But people can’t see the difference, and it’s because we do not allow others to change. We say we want it, but we don’t allow it.

In the case of someone like Gunn, who has made their own change the subject of discussion, we don’t allow it for one big reason: it forces us to confront why we haven’t changed in the ways we want to have changed. We got older, fatter, balder, more bitter, but we didn’t become better. If James Gunn can improve himself… why haven’t we?

So we reject the notion implicitly. We decide that linear time is bullshit, and that the James Gunn of today is fundamentally indistinguishable from the James Gunn of seven, eight, ten years ago. The only reason James Gunn hasn’t changed is because we need him to have not changed so that we have a reason for maintaining all of our negative, unskillful ways of being.

The reality is that we all can do it – there’s nothing inherently special about James Gunn, nothing that he gets from his wealth that sets him apart from the rest of us. We all have the tools and ability to change, we just simply haven’t done the work. And rather than do the work we would like to say the work is impossible.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

i was actually going to sign that too

Hey, might as well, can’t hurt. Besides, like I said, signing it made me feel a teeny bit better about all this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm not a Faraci fan at all, but given the quality of that, maybe he's changed from when i last read him and I should give him a chance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/1021170389437755392

Pratt, for as old-timey as his personal politics are, appears to know which way the wind is blowing on this one.

I fuckin hate Chris Pratt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chris Pratt likes being a hunky millionaire action star and isn’t gonna touch this with a ten foot pole

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

I'm not a Faraci fan at all, but given the quality of that, maybe he's changed from when i last read him and I should give him a chance.

The guy who got fired for sexual assault and then “found Buddhism” and came back?

Forgive me if I take his ‘People like me should be forgiven’ article as slightly biased.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

graventy posted:

The guy who got fired for sexual assault and then “found Buddhism” and came back?

Forgive me if I take his ‘People like me should be forgiven’ article as slightly biased.

I missed his personal stuff; it's hard keeping track of everything. I don't think "I've changed" counts if it's like a week, no. Lots of years, yes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He almost certainly cheated on his wife with a noted racist neo-Nazi Laura Loomer in the last couple of months also.

The thing is Mike has nothing to lose from doing this. He has discovered a scenario in which he has all the power and leverage, because there is nothing they can take from him.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
If Cernovich keeps doing this crap, and there is every indication that he not only won’t quit but intends to double down and ramp up his attacks, he’s eventually going to cross a line. There will be an incident directly caused because of his lies and distortion of the facts. Probably an incident where someone gets hurt or worse. In a manner where he can’t deflect things onto a scapegoat follower, and whatever benefactors that protect him will abandon him.

When that happens, Disney is going to have a second PR incident for caving in to his demands, and it is going to be one hell of a doozy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looks like Michael Rooker has angrily quit Twitter over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I fuckin hate Chris Pratt.

It’s a super lame stance to take regarding the dude who more or less made you a leading man by taking a massive gamble on you.

Like I doubt Glenn Howerton would have been so milquetoast if he had gotten the Starlord gig (in the superior alternate universe we are sadly not a part of).