Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Nice! posted:

They didn't have a replacement song. That's the whole point. It was already animated with Everybody's Free (to Feel Good) in mind.

Why's it look like a Charlie Chaplin movie then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Data Graham posted:

Why's it look like a Charlie Chaplin movie then?

because it was made in 2005 and the animation was being done at the cheapest possible outsourced studio. There are a comedy of errors that they just left in the first two seasons because it was true to the source material. c.f. gary's third glove on the opening to Hate Floats or Doc's inexplicably untucked speedsuit in Escape to the House of Mummies Pt. II.

edit: or Dean's constant shift between having a bolo tie and just wearing a shirt buttoned all the way up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 23, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean ... I don't wanna belabor this like the itchy & scratchy nerds but that one particular sequence is animated fine, without any of the kinds of errors you're talking about; it's just consistently sped up from beginning to end. Monarch eating the butterfly looks like a chipmunk, Brock digging the grave is flailing away like a machine, the Tibetan guy dancing looks like he's doing one of those 80s legwarmer aerobics routines. If you play the whole sequence at about 75% speed it looks perfectly fine. I really feel like there's got to be a single clear reason why it was animated at the speed it was, and it wasn't just a cheap studio hosed up continuously for 90 seconds of screentime.

E: You know what, rewatching it... I don't know what the gently caress, it doesn't look anywhere near as weird as I seem to remember it looking. IGNORE ME i guess.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A bit funny given the creators apparently gave the animators instructions to deliberately include animation errors as reference to the classic cartoons and the animators didn't understand and animated the scenes correctly.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
man I love JG Thirlwell

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Nice! posted:

because it was made in 2005 and the animation was being done at the cheapest possible outsourced studio. There are a comedy of errors that they just left in the first two seasons because it was true to the source material. c.f. gary's third glove on the opening to Hate Floats or Doc's inexplicably untucked speedsuit in Escape to the House of Mummies Pt. II.

edit: or Dean's constant shift between having a bolo tie and just wearing a shirt buttoned all the way up.

The first time I saw Hate Floats, I lost it at the gag of Gary stuffing gloves down the front of his shorts. To this day, Bonus Glove will always be a fake-package joke for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Trailer's real good

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So hyped. I started watching it again on a plane trip not realizing it was starting again soon and well now I've got to get there. Although I have no access to the commentaries only having DL'd copies and Hulu.

They really nail this genre, they are the pinnacle of it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You can make it! I started again a few weeks ago. I'm up to season 4 episode 5 now with less than two weeks to finish. I can do it if I watch two episodes a night and more on weekends. :sweatdrop:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KY7EMYDkE

Why it takes so long, explained!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Man, what a respectful answer to a question that had to be infuriating.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Where was Doc?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

James Urbaniak was literally right next to him dude.

:v:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What the gently caress, Hal Lublin is Wide Wale? Mind blown

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah and I wouldn’t have it any other way. This is how VB has stayed consistent because it’s just those two.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't realize before this was an artisinal cartoon.

But I guess that does explain how this show has such a coherent voice that can constantly dip in and out of continuity without forgetting details. It's weird that they think of the show as "their weird little thing" though. I know that probably every Adult Swim show thinks of itself like that, but they're really selling themselves short.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't realize before this was an artisinal cartoon.

But I guess that does explain how this show has such a coherent voice that can constantly dip in and out of continuity without forgetting details. It's weird that they think of the show as "their weird little thing" though. I know that probably every Adult Swim show thinks of itself like that, but they're really selling themselves short.

I mean, he even spelled out why its a weird little thing tho. I can't think of any other AS shows that were just two dudes with some VAs and an animation team. The rest of them seemed more like a writer/main VA and then everything else was someone else, which would give them the time/space between seasons Jackson was saying they don't have.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/7-big-questions-for-the-amazing-venture-bros-duo/

Decent little interview. Apparently Mark Hamill is in this season and Doc morphed into John Slattery

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
30 drawings of Hank and Bean

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Vanrushal posted:

30 drawings of Hank and Bean

How about 30 drawings of Ham and Bean?

Edit: ha. Just noticed the spelling in the article. Hank and Bean it is!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Goddamn the Jaws references are off the chart and I am loooovving itttt

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I love that characterization: “Taking of Pelham One Two Three earnestness”.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's going to be interesting to see how the new behind-the-scenes shakeups will affect the quality of the show. Having Hammer focus more on writing and Publick focus more on directing is really intriguing, especially as it's only gotten more and more serialized over time. Perhaps it'll mean that it's fully serialized, now, especially with the 3-part episode opening the season. The show works because it's a blend of their two sensibilities, but I admit I tend to like Hammer episodes a bit more so that part is at least exciting to me.

At least they seem to love flying across the country to get together once a month to write, so it's not like being bicoastal is necessarily a sign that the show is winding down. Have to wonder what prompted the move, though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Probably Jackson attempting to cultivate new projects after vbros.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While Doc retires from TV production to paint sad women.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 25, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is this "after vbros"? They're gonna do VB for twenty more years and then retire.

In that time they will produce another 4 seasons and an hour-and-a-half special.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

They’ll retire as thousandaires!!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how the new behind-the-scenes shakeups will affect the quality of the show. Having Hammer focus more on writing and Publick focus more on directing is really intriguing, especially as it's only gotten more and more serialized over time.
To be fair, I don't think that Jackson is focusing more on directing, rather he's taking more time for it. If I remember right, they share writing duties but Publick is the only director.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:shrug: that interview definitely made it sound like to me that they were separating duties more than before.

Jackson posted:

Doc wrote more of the shows than I did this season. A lot of my job was just to make them look good.

Could just be me reading more into it than intended, though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I guess it'll depend what the split is like. Could be 6/4 or it could be Publick only has co-writing credit on some.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X_Toad posted:

To be fair, I don't think that Jackson is focusing more on directing, rather he's taking more time for it. If I remember right, they share writing duties but Publick is the only director.

Directing is practically a form of writing, anyway.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I guess it'll depend what the split is like. Could be 6/4 or it could be Publick only has co-writing credit on some.
I thought that they rarely had co-writing credits anyways, except on maybe the bigger episodes?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X_Toad posted:

I thought that they rarely had co-writing credits anyways, except on maybe the bigger episodes?

More often early on, but yeah, only a couple times in the last couple seasons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

you can tell the Doc episodes because they just kind of end without resolution

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I recently moved and need more terrible tee shirts to replace all the stuff I donated to goodwill. Where do you normally sign up for the shirt club, and when does it usually kick-off? I remember a lot of people being sad they missed the first week last season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You usually have until the next episode airs

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I think they did last season’s through the titmouse store https://www.titmousestuff.com/collections/venture-bros-2015. They typically post the shirts after the episode airs until the next episode airs.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I am so goddamn ready for the shirt club. I haven't missed one yet

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Hey, look at what I found while perusing the Yous Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2muVzP4WCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Hey, look at what I found while perusing the Yous Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2muVzP4WCI

Oh wowwwww.

"Soooooo... that's why I can't ever kiss her lips again."

This is a more Jungian dream to me than Freudian, but that line makes me wonder: Is Gary having some issues with what happened with Sheila and the Monarch, perhaps?