Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, Superman is very different from a character created by Jewish men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes, Superman is very different from a character created by Jewish men.

Yes, he is. And more importantly, nobody tried to turn that character created by Jewish men into a Nazi for a full year of comics, did they?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
e: I am dumb.

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 21, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

prefect posted:

:ssh: Superman was also created by Jewish men.

Huh? That’s exactly what my comment said.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

Huh? That’s exactly what my comment said.

I need to stop trying to be clever, because I keep screwing it up. :saddowns:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Captain America, a character created by Jewish dudes who literally punched Hitler in the face, just does not make sense as a Nazi. It's antithetical to his core. There's a reason why nobody painted Cap as a Nazi prior to Spencer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Storytelling-wise one of the worst things Spencer did with Nazsteve was the entire build up to Secret Empire was working strenuously to indicate that Nazi Steve wasn't really such a bad guy. He mostly dropped this in the event mini itself, which may be why it reads less terribly in a bubble.

Steve is magic-whammied into being HYDRA, pushes people out of planes, kneels before the Red Skull, wants to destroy the US Government...

But he also hates the Red Skull and thinks he's a racist bigot bad guy and he really wants to take down the Red Skull to make America great again!

He pushed a guy out of a plane but he feels terrible about it and even though the guy survived and is in a coma and may wake up and expose him, he doesn't want anyone to kill him. He decides he has to kill him, but when he goes to the hospital he's already dead and he's relieved he didn't have to murder a good man.

It's just that all the way down, he keeps sort of vaguely gesturing towards how HYDRA definitely aren't Nazis, they just want the world to be a better place. Real Hydra Folks like Nazsteve hate Nazis, which is why he's plotting against the Red Skull even though they appear to have extremely similar goals/plans. Nazsteve never actually kills anyone because he's not a murderer, he just sort of arranges to have other people murder each other and he feels bad about it.

He's even very obvious about having no animus against Inhumans and is very sad to see them put into camps but he's going to do absolutely everything in his power to make sure they're treated fairly and justly. He's not a Bad Guy. And then he hands over control of the Inhuman internment camps to Mr. Hyde who jokes about the experiments he's going to perform on them and how he might eat some of the Inhumans.

BUT GUYS HE'S JUST TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND IS NOT A NAZI

At least in the actual mini-series he (mostly) let him be a bad guy.

There's also that the mini-series just sort of handwaves how the blind foolish heroes were blind fools and beta cucks for ever falling for Steve's cunning ruse, which was basically behaving like Captain America and being Captain America and people looking to him for leadership and him behaving like Captain America until the moment that he goes HA HA I'M ACTUALLY EVIL AND I HAVE BEEN FOREVER. Which is the same sort of master plan as going "you fools, you've been coming to my restaurant for decades because we make good food that doesn't kill you, but now you've come here for brunch and I'VE POISONED YOU ALL. How could you not see this coming?????"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ecavalli posted:

There's a reason why nobody painted Cap as a Nazi prior to Spencer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

There's also that the mini-series just sort of handwaves how the blind foolish heroes were blind fools and beta cucks for ever falling for Steve's cunning ruse, which was basically behaving like Captain America and being Captain America and people looking to him for leadership and him behaving like Captain America until the moment that he goes HA HA I'M ACTUALLY EVIL AND I HAVE BEEN FOREVER. Which is the same sort of master plan as going "you fools, you've been coming to my restaurant for decades because we make good food that doesn't kill you, but now you've come here for brunch and I'VE POISONED YOU ALL. How could you not see this coming?????"

TBF, in a world where things like Skrulls are known to exist, the heroes totally should have seen something of the sort coming.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

TBF, in a world where things like Skrulls are known to exist, the heroes totally should have seen something of the sort coming.
To be fair this logic means that nothing can ever be forced to make sense in a world where the things that exist in the world of comic books needs to be justified. If everyone can just later be revealed to be a mind-controlled alternate reality time travelling Skrull being puppet mastered by a Cosmic Cube inside a mirror universe where everyone is a ghost and also from an alternate future, then maybe Spider-Man and Mary Jane have been married this whole time and Captain America really is a Nazi who shot Batman's parents, so really writing anyone having personal interactions is a fool's errand, they all have to know anyone could be anyone doing anything.

Also my point is that Nazi Captain America did very little to tip off suspicion and continued to act and behave exactly like Not Nazi Captain America.

To the point that he tried to talk everyone out of doing a Civil War II, only for a flashback to reveal he was using reverse psychology.

He really needed the Space Wall to be built, so in order to get it built he argued against it, knowing his arguing against it would... mean it gets built anyway?

He needed to be in charge of SHIELD to enact his master plan so when he was offered the position he turned it down, knowing that somewhere down the line there would be a crisis where they ask him to fill in because of an emergency.

The absolute best "you fools how could you not see this coming" bit was when there was a whole arc about how he NEEDS Xavier's brain (which is grafted onto the Red Skull's, granting him psychic powers he never bothered really using in Spencer's comics) and it's the key to his plan and it's all down to this, let's get that brain.

[Avengers and X-Men retrieve the brain and throw it into the sun]

Well okay I guess Doctor Faustus has Xavier powers now!

It's not like anyone used clues or detective work to figure out Captain America was a Nazi because he never behaved like a Nazi in front of anyone ever and was apparently immune to mind-reading because of Red Skull's Xavierbrain protecting him or something. The only people who found out about it were literally people who walked into rooms while he's going "Anyway i'm in Hydra."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 21, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I want to re-litigate secret empire being a lovely comic even less than I want to re-litigate the 2016 election.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair this logic means that nothing can ever be forced to make sense in a world where the things that exist in the world of comic books needs to be justified. If everyone can just later be revealed to be a mind-controlled alternate reality time travelling Skrull being puppet mastered by a Cosmic Cube inside a mirror universe where everyone is a ghost and also from an alternate future, then maybe Spider-Man and Mary Jane have been married this whole time and Captain America really is a Nazi who shot Batman's parents, so really writing anyone having personal interactions is a fool's errand, they all have to know anyone could be anyone doing anything.

Well, yeah. This is part of the reason I don't like Marvel/DC much in general; the "when everything is possible, nothing is interesting" problem is baked pretty deeply into the settings.

Though Deadpool murdering Agent Coulson was not a very good decision according to real-world logic either.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 21, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

Storytelling-wise one of the worst things Spencer did with Nazsteve was the entire build up to Secret Empire was working strenuously to indicate that Nazi Steve wasn't really such a bad guy. He mostly dropped this in the event mini itself...

This is a good over view of SE and it goes along with my problem with it.

Like so much of Spencer's Cap run is about Steve as a Secret Hydra Man...but also still the good Steve Rogers, just mind controlled. And that was to make the audience believe in the character. And I believe Spencer's original plot was just "Steve is mind controlled." Ehich leads to the resolution of "Will he break the mind control in the end."
And then I think Spencer becomes more focused on Hydra and it's new backstory and focuses on that. Only if all that Hydra stuff are fake memories invented by the Red Skull, it's all pointless.

So he makes all that stuff a new reality so it has more of a bearing in the story.

And Spencer ends up tying himself in knots with the story. Until by the end he decides to let Hydra Steve be super evil because he can be a separate character.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is there a good reference to find out what issues of a comic fall into what volume or something like that? Like how many volumes of Captain America or Batman are there, and what issues compromise those volumes?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I usually use Comicvine.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/batman/4050-91273/

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dear poster you are, as the kids say, The Tits. Thanks!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
ComicDB is not bad either. It tells you how many issues, and points out weird stuff like this from Captain America (1968):

Title Continuity:
Captain America (1968) #100 continues from Tales of Suspense (1959) #99
Captain America (1968) #600 continues from Captain America (2005) #50
Captain America (1968) #619 continues to Captain America And Bucky (2011) #620

Notes:
376-issue series plus 13 annuals. The indicia title in #444-446 is Steve Rogers Captain America.

Continues legacy numbering in 2009 with #600-619 and in 2018 with #695-704 as follows:

But it does have a ton of stuff from other countries / publishers, so you need to have an idea of what you're looking for already. For Captain America, for example, you're looking for the series published by Marvel. I really don't like calling the runs Volume 1,2,3, etc, because it makes it super confusing when you have Hawkeye volume 4, volume 3 to refer to the third volume of trade paperbacks put out for a particular series. I like using the date, as ComicDB does.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Also, Nick Spencer's personal politics are, if not outright extreme right, very extreme right adjacent.

So: gently caress him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I use Comicbookdb all the time, especially when I want to see how many issues were relevant to a storyline, or see where an obscure character I like showed up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this the appropriate place to ask about a one-shot you remember reading a quarter-century ago? I'm trying to remember the first Batman comic I ever read.

It was a one-off story that's really about the villains--two bank robbers--where Batman and Robin only show up at the end. The narrator is a bank teller, a redheaded woman named Byrne, who decides to run off with a crazy bank robber. After a bloody spree, the two of them decide to go out in a blaze of glory, but are stopped by Batman and Robin and end up the only victims of their incendiary bomb. The irony is that after living by a motto of "Die Young, Stay Pretty," the two of them are going to rot in jail for the rest of their lives, horribly disfigured.

Finally found it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
remembered one shot from a quarter century ago: a story with blade, howard the duck and a vampire cow

i swear it was real, but was it???

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

remembered one shot from a quarter century ago: a story with blade, howard the duck and a vampire cow

i swear it was real, but was it???

With Steve Gerber everything is posible.

(Hellcow first appeared in Giant Size Man-Thin #5)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
omgggg its loving real!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat. I was about to say that the only comic I could find featuring both of them was Silver Surfer vs. Dracula #1 which is a thing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the strange thing is i sure dont remember ever owning a man-thing comic, so how in the hell did i read that story

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

the strange thing is i sure dont remember ever owning a man-thing comic, so how in the hell did i read that story

Reprint in Marvel Tales or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Hellcow's been in many other comics since, including a Deadpool story from less than a decade ago.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
He's mentioned in one of the Squirrel Girl arcs. The one with Howard, I believe.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Howard the Duck vs. Hellcow story is reprinted in the Silver Surfer Vs. Dracula one-shot, published in 1994:

Neither Silver Surfer nor Dracula (nor Blade!) appear in the Hellcow story, but the lead story in the comic is a reprint of a Tomb of Dracula story with Silver Surfer (and Blade) in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hahaha holy poo poo i think that was it!!! thats awesome

ty for tracking this down guys

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, it's hard to imagine you would ever forget handling a Giant-Size Man-Thing.

How many issues were there of that? I thought Giant-Size was like a format for special occasions sort of imprint but, well, I just though maybe they would realize what they had with that title after one go.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine you would ever forget handling a Giant-Size Man-Thing.

How many issues were there of that? I thought Giant-Size was like a format for special occasions sort of imprint but, well, I just though maybe they would realize what they had with that title after one go.

I think it was, they had more pages and charged more money for them. Giant Size X-Men was a one off special that introduced us to the team Claremont would turn into the most amazing thing ever and was like 3 times as long as a normal comic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

remusclaw posted:

There were five Giant-Size Man-Things. And yeah, there were Giant-Size editions for the Avengers, Defenders, Shang-Chi, and others.

(note: this is fan art, not something Marvel actually published. Sadly.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

(note: this is fan art, not something Marvel actually published. Sadly.)

I think that's better. It's not as funny if it's Marvel themselves leaning into the joke so hard. You don't want to milk Giant-Size Man-Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All this Giant Sized Man Thing talk made me think of something. Who came up with the team for Giant Sized X-Men? Claremont made the team famous, but Len Wein wrote that first issue.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

All this Giant Sized Man Thing talk made me think of something. Who came up with the team for Giant Sized X-Men? Claremont made the team famous, but Len Wein wrote that first issue.

IIRC, it was Roy Thomas who came up with the idea of making the X-Men a team of international mutants, but it was Wein and Dave Cockrum who designed the characters.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I do remember they were a pain the rear end to rack and store given the folio size. My brother had an awesome comic rack he stole when the drug store shut down but they just never fit into it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Selachian posted:

IIRC, it was Roy Thomas who came up with the idea of making the X-Men a team of international mutants, but it was Wein and Dave Cockrum who designed the characters.
This site has a pretty decent/quick summary of the development process.

1) Marvel executives told Stan Lee (who was the publisher at the time) and Roy Thomas (the EiC at the time) that they wanted international heroes to help sales in all the countries they had reprint licensing deals with.

2) Roy Thomas thought this would be a good way to revamp the X-Men, with them flying around in a giant ship recruiting mutants from across the globe, and got Mike Friedrich and Dave Cockrum to work up a pitch. Cockrum starts working on revamping his rejected Legion of Superheroes characters to be the New X-Men.

3) Thomas steps down as EiC because the position changed hands constantly in the 1970s, and Len Wein took over as EiC. Wein decides he wants to write the X-Men revamp, not Friedrich. In the process of all of this turnover the "International" idea stayed, but the "help our licensing deal" thing didn't because most of the new characters were from you know, the Soviet Union, indeterminate African country, Canada, America, etc. This is also why Wein's creation Wolverine (who had debuted awhile back as a Hulk adversary) ended up on the team.

4) By the time the book was actually ready to go, Wein felt he was too busy to write the book because of all of the EiC work, which within a few months of Giant Size X-Men led him to step down and hand it off to Marv Wolfman, and then he left for DC all together a year or so later. Young eager writer Chris Claremont was hanging picking up odd jobs and fill-ins at Marvel, and was supposed to be scripting the book off of Wein's plots but within a few issues they just let Claremont do it himself; it was his first 'regular' gig but it was also the X-Men, and who cared if he screwed it up?

I don't know how much (if any) credit Al Landau or Roy Thomas deserve for going 'hey maybe do a book with characters who aren't from America?" but Wein and Cockrum definitely did a lot of the early protean New X-Men work, but Claremont and his collaborators (including Cockrum) are the reason that anyone in 2018 knows who the X-Men are.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

This site has a pretty decent/quick summary of the development process.

1) Marvel executives told Stan Lee (who was the publisher at the time) and Roy Thomas (the EiC at the time) that they wanted international heroes to help sales in all the countries they had reprint licensing deals with.

2) Roy Thomas thought this would be a good way to revamp the X-Men, with them flying around in a giant ship recruiting mutants from across the globe, and got Mike Friedrich and Dave Cockrum to work up a pitch. Cockrum starts working on revamping his rejected Legion of Superheroes characters to be the New X-Men.

3) Thomas steps down as EiC because the position changed hands constantly in the 1970s, and Len Wein took over as EiC. Wein decides he wants to write the X-Men revamp, not Friedrich. In the process of all of this turnover the "International" idea stayed, but the "help our licensing deal" thing didn't because most of the new characters were from you know, the Soviet Union, indeterminate African country, Canada, America, etc. This is also why Wein's creation Wolverine (who had debuted awhile back as a Hulk adversary) ended up on the team.

4) By the time the book was actually ready to go, Wein felt he was too busy to write the book because of all of the EiC work, which within a few months of Giant Size X-Men led him to step down and hand it off to Marv Wolfman, and then he left for DC all together a year or so later. Young eager writer Chris Claremont was hanging picking up odd jobs and fill-ins at Marvel, and was supposed to be scripting the book off of Wein's plots but within a few issues they just let Claremont do it himself; it was his first 'regular' gig but it was also the X-Men, and who cared if he screwed it up?

I don't know how much (if any) credit Al Landau or Roy Thomas deserve for going 'hey maybe do a book with characters who aren't from America?" but Wein and Cockrum definitely did a lot of the early protean New X-Men work, but Claremont and his collaborators (including Cockrum) are the reason that anyone in 2018 knows who the X-Men are.

Wasn't the book literally just printing old stories to keep up a monthly release when all that happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

This is also why Wein's creation Wolverine (who had debuted awhile back as a Hulk adversary) ended up on the team.

That's also apparently the reason that Wolverine is Canadian: so that he could eventually be on the eventual international team.