Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

it soothes the 'tism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the train paragraph is extremely good you doofs

yea that engineer is a good egg

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The use of "11" as a maximum pre-dates This Is Spinal Tap by almost forty years. In 1947, the Baldwin Locomotive Works and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway introduced the Chesapeake and Ohio class M-1 steam turbine locomotive. The locomotive's throttle included eleven settings, ranging from one (idling) to eleven (full speed). The locomotive's cruising speed was 70 miles per hour (110 km/h), at which point the throttle was on "seven". During a trial run with a reporter from Popular Mechanics aboard, a C&O engineer expressed his dissatisfaction with a local speed limit of 75 miles per hour (121 km/h), noting that he would "Sure like to be able to pull it back to eleven!"[4]:110; 252

It was probably designed to go from 0-10 and then somebody decided that it should start at 1 instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

It was probably designed to go from 0-10 and then somebody decided that it should start at 1 instead.

when it went from 0 to 10 the boss demanded that they make it even faster so they moved every number up by 1 and told him it was now faster

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(2011_video_game)

quote:

Motion controls are also utilized. In the Wii version, the player swings the Wii Remote during wagon travels to whip the oxen so that they pull the wagon ahead. There are also hunting sequences in which players use the Wii Remote's pointer to aim their rifle and shoot animals for food and resources.

quote:

Dying from dysentery never used to be this dull.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
courtesy of cspam

Starship Troopers is a military science fiction novel by U.S. writer Robert A. Heinlein. Written in a few weeks in reaction to the U.S. suspending nuclear tests,[4]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

courtesy of cspam

Starship Troopers is a military science fiction novel by U.S. writer Robert A. Heinlein. Written in a few weeks in reaction to the U.S. suspending nuclear tests,[4]

Love the movie, heard the book was fashie trash and never read it.

Right decision?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably. i mean its heinlein so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
let me put it this way: it's not an action book

it's bookended by action scenes and the other 98% is just awful political screed

his novella The Puppet Masters is much better and is basically responsible for invasion of the body snatchers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

let me put it this way: it's not an action book

it's bookended by action scenes and the other 98% is just awful political screed

his novella The Puppet Masters is much better and is basically responsible for invasion of the body snatchers

I think they also made a movie of that with Donald Sutherland?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's been remade a few times yeah

puppet masters is still distinctly heinlein-ian tho, so the main character has every skill and there's a redheaded love interest. still, not a bad read

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's been remade a few times yeah

puppet masters is still distinctly heinlein-ian tho, so the main character has every skill and there's a redheaded love interest. still, not a bad read

IIRC the aliens not staring at titties is one of their big “tells”?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
in the book they don't really understand human hygiene so when one gets you it does stuff like not ever taking your shoes off for months and months

they will seamlessly infiltrate via goons first imo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

The guy who responded to the airline springing extra baggage fees on him by shooting out the airplane's tires is a goddamn hero

what's crazy about that one is it doesn't even mention him getting punished like everyone went "woah hey, OK we were just pulling your leg your luggage is here dude"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Love the movie, heard the book was fashie trash and never read it.

Right decision?

its the origin of powered armor and he goes into great detail on how it works in the book. some of that is probably still relevant but i don't really remember the rest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao origin of power armor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the book is the same basic ideas as the movie except presented as unironically good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
starship troopers the book is quite bad and boring

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
can anyone here tell me if the starship troopers anime is worth a watch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sham bam bamina! posted:

can anyone here tell me if the starship troopers anime is worth a watch

ask smoka lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

haveblue posted:

the book is the same basic ideas as the movie except presented as unironically good

a lot of people say this but I didn't come away with that impression. i was a teenage nerdling when i read it so it was a while ago. but i thought it was as easy to read it as oo-rah war boosterism as it was to read it as a criticism of militarization and how war requires dehumanizing the enemy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
starship troopers goes out of its way to toss in reminders that no one needs to do the military service, and in fact most of the citizens got citizenship from doing standard civil servant jobs. it also implies that a lot of the people choosing military service are kinda dumb for doing so. (additionally a bunch of the plain old civil service stuff is nominally under the military but not really part of the military, because of how the founders of this current situation of earth took over power and created the federation in the first place)

but it also says that the military tends to be good for those people and its Necessary (even though the humans are definitely going around provoking unnecessary wars). with basically a thesis on how inherently a bunch of people are going to need the military to thrive in. even if its ultimately doing pointless killing just to justify itself

in essence it's a book about how discharged from the navy for disability author robert heinlein is pretty cool for having done service for 5 years during peace, so people should work for the government if they want to have a say and the military is the coolest.

(even though rico is dumb as hell)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:nws: that poo poo, jesus.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its a sailboat!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
scooner!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
After this, Jimmy's sidekick, Guillermo, appeared in a spoof of The Bourne Ultimatum, which starred Damon. He was then chased down by Damon, who was cursing about Kimmel being behind all this. Guillermo also stopped Damon on the red carpet one time and before he could finish the interview he said, "Sorry, we are out of time." The most recent encounter was titled "The Handsome Men's Club" which featured Kimmel, along with the "Handsome Men", who were: Matthew McConaughey, Rob Lowe, Lenny Kravitz, Patrick Dempsey, Sting, Keith Urban, John Krasinski, Ethan Hawke, Josh Hartnett, Tony Romo, Ted Danson, Taye Diggs, Gilles Marini, and Ben Affleck, speaking about being handsome and all the jobs that come with it. At the end of the skit Kimmel has a door slammed in his face by none other than Matt Damon, stating that they had run out of time and then Damon continues with a sinister laugh. Jennifer Garner also makes a surprise appearance. As a tradition, celebrities voted off Dancing with the Stars appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, causing Kimmel to describe himself as "the three-headed dog the stars must pass on their way to No-Dancing Hell".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Happy slapping was a fad originating in the United Kingdom around 2005, in which one or more people out of boredom attack a victim for the purpose of recording the assault (commonly with a camera phone or a smartphone). Though the term usually refers to relatively minor acts of violence such as hitting or slapping the victim, more serious crimes such as the manslaughter of a pensioner[1] and sexual assault have been classified as "happy slapping" by the BBC.[2]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn (1999), a character refers to the canal as "the only body of water in the world that is 90 percent guns".[146]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

RZApublican posted:

Happy slapping was a fad originating in the United Kingdom around 2005, in which one or more people out of boredom attack a victim for the purpose of recording the assault (commonly with a camera phone or a smartphone). Though the term usually refers to relatively minor acts of violence such as hitting or slapping the victim, more serious crimes such as the manslaughter of a pensioner[1] and sexual assault have been classified as "happy slapping" by the BBC.[2]

this was literally invented by a tabloid newspaper and reported as being an supposed epidemic, and then became a real one because the kinds of people who read tabloid newspapers are morons

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sweevo posted:

this was literally invented by a tabloid newspaper and reported as being an supposed epidemic, and then became a real one because the kinds of people who read tabloid newspapers are morons

but enough about the donald trump presidential campaign

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Buffalo engaged in a contest of dominance. This sentence supposes they have a history of such bullying with other buffalo, and they are from Buffalo, New York.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sweevo posted:

here in america we call it "the knockout game" and it was invented by the type of ppl who hate it when nfl players kneel for the national anthem

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RZApublican posted:

That pensioner was probably a boomer though so: :shrug:?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Steven_Behr#/media/File:Ira_Steven_Behr.jpg

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

here in america we call it "the knockout game" and it was invented by the type of ppl who hate it when nfl players kneel for the national anthem

[Allyson] had heard some kids were going to have a "rainbow party," but had no idea what that meant. Still, she thought it might be fun, and arranged to attend with a friend. After she arrived, several girls (all in the eighth grade) were given different shades of lipstick and told to perform oral sex on different boys to give them "rainbows." Once she realized what was happening, Allyson was too stunned and frightened to do anything. When a girl gave her some lipstick, she refused at first but, with repeated pressure, finally gave in. "It was one of the grossest things I've ever done."[3]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
tbf at least that article calls it fake as poo poo over and over

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

the wiki page is missing the best part about him

quote:

It was during the writing of The 4400 miniseries that saw Behr first dye his beard blue. He commented: "There is a story. When we did the first season, it was a miniseries. And they were, let's say, trying to save money, and they would not put us in a studio. They would not get us offices anywhere, as it turned out. So, well, where the hell are we gonna go? You know, we gotta write six episodes... So they put us in Viacom Productions on Wilshire and Westwood, and so suddenly you have this writing staff with all the corporate suits. And it pissed me off, it really did. And we'd be sitting in the offices, and there was a window on my office, and it was frosted, but there was a little bar of clear glass, and every day I'd look up and there'd be eyes staring at me, looking in, I swear to God, and people would come in and go, 'How's it going? How's the scripts going?' I'm going, 'It was going great, until you just interrupted me!' So, I got more and more unhappy with the conditions that we were working under, and I came home one day and I talked to my wife and kids and said, 'You know, I gotta remember, I'm not them and they're not me. How do I keep remembering that?' And my wife said, 'Blue your beard.' And my daughter said, 'Yes yes yes yes yes!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

[Allyson] had heard some kids were going to have a "rainbow party," but had no idea what that meant. Still, she thought it might be fun, and arranged to attend with a friend. After she arrived, several girls (all in the eighth grade) were given different shades of lipstick and told to perform oral sex on different boys to give them "rainbows." Once she realized what was happening, Allyson was too stunned and frightened to do anything. When a girl gave her some lipstick, she refused at first but, with repeated pressure, finally gave in. "It was one of the grossest things I've ever done."[3]

For the first time I have read about this stupid thing and realized that the physics involved don't make sense

do these people think oral is a single aggressive kiss or something