Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Choco1980 posted:

Then on a stand up special that he was part of he says he's going to do an impression of Elvis--who was still alive, and impersonation hasn't blown up as a thing for his cult yet...and then Andy puts on a wig, reveals he's wearing a jumpsuit, and absolutely knocks it out of the park out of nowhere. It was such a genius move and amazing payoff for such a long gag.

Elvis said that his favorite impersonator of him was Andy Kaufman.

Choco1980 posted:

The best part of Tony Clifton is that half the time (possibly more) it wasn't even Kauffman under the makeup, but his right hand man Zmuda.

Also Andy's brother Michael.

According to Bob Zmuda is his book, Andy partly started the women wrestling thing because he thought it would be a good way to pick up women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bean_shadow posted:

Elvis said that his favorite impersonator of him was Andy Kaufman.

Also Andy's brother Michael.

According to Bob Zmuda is his book, Andy partly started the women wrestling thing because he thought it would be a good way to pick up women.

I guess it would be depending on his wrestling moves. :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess it would be depending on his wrestling moves. :v:

It's how he met his wife.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
On a different topic, here's one that's aged interestingly: the first episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has a brief cameo with Matt Lauer where he comments "it's amazing what you can get women to do because they're afraid of being rude." :allears:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Straight White Shark posted:

On a different topic, here's one that's aged interestingly: the first episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has a brief cameo with Matt Lauer where he comments "it's amazing what you can get women to do because they're afraid of being rude." :allears:

Welp that was a lot more accurate than they were intending.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think a fair chunk of pro wrestling admitting it's fake is a liability thing too.
Kids (and adults, if we're being honest) imitating wrestling moves is a tale as old as time.
It was one thing back in the 90's when someone going to the hospital after a piledriver happened, because the story was limited to local papers. If it did garner national attention, then they could put out the token "Don't try this at home" warnings and go about their day.

But with the internet, and being able to lookup hundreds and thousands of Wrestling Fail videos, finally coming out and saying "look, the poo poo's fake" probably let them head off some serious heat at the pass.

Plus, with the internet again, it had to be a lot harder to maintain kayfabe with all of the access to social media. Hell, take the Lawler/Kaufman feud, for example. It would be way harder for them to have kept up that illusion nowadays.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though keeping up dramatic kayfabe does add extra bizarre layers to it when you can't tell the fake drama from the real drama.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

the_steve posted:

Plus, with the internet again, it had to be a lot harder to maintain kayfabe with all of the access to social media. Hell, take the Lawler/Kaufman feud, for example. It would be way harder for them to have kept up that illusion nowadays.

I'd say it's the complete opposite; every single time a wrestler tweets something slightly controversial the fans go batshit trying to figure out if the wrestler is tweeting in-character or if they have some actual beef.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flinger posted:

I'd say it's the complete opposite; every single time a wrestler tweets something slightly controversial the fans go batshit trying to figure out if the wrestler is tweeting in-character or if they have some actual beef.

If anything, they were years ahead of their time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
You can take a good actor/entertainer/artist, beef them up and teach them to wrestle. It's a lot harder to take a big strong guy and turn him into someone that can act, do storylines, remember a script and sell PPVs.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

evobatman posted:

You can take a good actor/entertainer/artist, beef them up and teach them to wrestle.

good luck with that

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

You can take a good actor/entertainer/artist, beef them up and teach them to wrestle. It's a lot harder to take a big strong guy and turn him into someone that can act, do storylines, remember a script and sell PPVs.

every time I look at pro wrestling nobody can do any of the above, so I can only assume both of these are too hard for the WWE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

evobatman posted:

I remember how surprised people were with Dave Bautista's performance as Drax, apparently he took the effort and took acting lessons. Makes a fair bit of sense, wrestling has its roots in fairground and circus acts and all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Being a "good actor" is just one piece of the puzzle, and it's an overrated one. Good writing and directing can shoulder a lot of the burden. Just look at Schwarzenegger.

Of course, he did have to put in effort as well, to get beyond Hercules In New York level...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sometimes all you have to do is have the right look and be in the right place.

You know how mayhew got the role of Chewbacca? He stood up. That's it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes all you have to do is have the right look and be in the right place.

You know how mayhew got the role of Chewbacca? He stood up. That's it.

Not to be outdone, Robin Williams reportedly got the role of Mork by standing on his head

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

...Sacha Baron Cohen is the closest thing I can think of as a comparison in a modern sense....

I feel more like an Eric Andre "you're never quite sure when the limit is, and you're kinda afraid he's going to get arrested" comparison is perhaps a bit better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

I feel more like an Eric Andre "you're never quite sure when the limit is, and you're kinda afraid he's going to get arrested" comparison is perhaps a bit better.

SBC got arrested multiple times during the making of Borat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cohen is a sentient YouTube prank channel, not a comedian

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Henchman of Santa posted:

SBC got arrested multiple times during the making of Borat

His new show is hilarious, and at first I was thinking "How did these people not see this coming" and then the show starts and all of his disguises look NOTHING like him at all.

That's some of my favorite TV.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rapidly Going Deaf has a stand up thread. Maybe there? Or Cinema Discusso.

I post in that thread but nobody loving reads it. Maybe I'll cross post it over there. Andy wasn't really known for movies either so maybe TVIV? I could start a Man on the Moon thread in CD and just segue it out into Kauffman and that Jim Carey documentary, Jim & Andy: the Great Beyond which was really good.

Or maybe The Book Barn since Jim Zmuda wrote a book recently that was apparently really terrible and rather strange tonally. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Then again, nobody really visits the Book Barn much either. So yeah.

Not surprising at all that there's nowhere to slot Andy Kauffman.

Neito posted:

I've actually never heard of him. Will check it out.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Being a "good actor" is just one piece of the puzzle, and it's an overrated one.

Jenna Maroney posted:

Acting is just a bunch of cheap tricks any monkey or child can do. To be drunk, just wear different sized shoes. To cry, clutch some broken glass in your hand.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

sweet geek swag posted:

Welp that was a lot more accurate than they were intending.

Unless they knew exactly what they were doing and the perpetrator was too arrogant to notice. Like 30 Rock's references to Bill Cosby being a predator in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXQUc4-aBI

And also Harvey Weinstein!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceNfXrccbQ

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I post in that thread but nobody loving reads it. Maybe I'll cross post it over there. Andy wasn't really known for movies either so maybe TVIV? I could start a Man on the Moon thread in CD and just segue it out into Kauffman and that Jim Carey documentary, Jim & Andy: the Great Beyond which was really good.

Or maybe The Book Barn since Jim Zmuda wrote a book recently that was apparently really terrible and rather strange tonally. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Then again, nobody really visits the Book Barn much either. So yeah.

Not surprising at all that there's nowhere to slot Andy Kauffman.

If you do end up making a Kaufman thread can you spell his name right

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Eric Andre walked into a jewelry store with a metal detector like a beach comber and smashed one of the displays when it went off. That's the funniest thing he's ever done.

The second funniest was smashing up a cop car and trying to get passerbys to help him. That was also funny.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Last Chance posted:

Maybe Jim Carrey's as well

I don't think Jim Carey, the former Washington Capitals/Boston Bruins goaltender has anything to do with Andy Kaufman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best Eric Andre thing was when he went to a speech by Alex Jones and Jones yelled from the stage to “bring that boy up here” and a bunch of chuds started shoving him toward the stage. For about a minute you can read genuine fear on his face as it dawns on him that he has no idea what will happen next but that a lynching is not outside the range of possibilities.

And then he recovers himself and starts loving with Jones once he’s up there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stare: Haven't seen that one yet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Last Chance posted:

Doc M posted:

Maybe Jim Carrey's as well

I don't think Jim Carey, the former Washington Capitals/Boston Bruins goaltender has anything to do with Andy Kaufman

All right you assholes. Will do.

I deserve that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stare: Haven't seen that one yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQ4s6eG76o

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aardvark Barber posted:

His new show is hilarious, and at first I was thinking "How did these people not see this coming" and then the show starts and all of his disguises look NOTHING like him at all.

That's some of my favorite TV.

They all look grotesque though. I'm convinced that the Israeli character is just what all Jews look like in the minds of his subjects.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

business hammocks posted:

Wasn’t the whole point of the joke that wrestling is fake? Did 70s people not know that wrestling is fake?

Mr T. and Hulk Hogan appeared on the Richard Belzer show when they were promoting the first Wrestlemania. I believe Belzer made a comment about it being fake (it's not on this clip), so Hogan demonstrated a sleeper hold on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

John Stossel from 20/20 learned the hard way that saying wrestling is fake around wrestlers is a bad idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

He's best gone into near completely blind, with the idea that you're never quite sure who's in on the joke and who's not. Adult Swim has some clips, but I feel like that's one of the worst ways to experience him. Go find an episode of the Eric Andre Show and just watch it with no context.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eric Andre is the best version of the Andy Kaufman/Tom Green style of bizzaro comedian imo and his interviews with random comedians who somehow are tricked into coming on his show are great

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The actor playing mini Jillian Michaels said Eric Andre didn't shower for a month before filming season 4.

quote:

Jillian had absolutely no clue. I was hired a week prior, had no idea what the skit was going to be until it got closer and I asked if it was going to be like my favorite episode, the James Van Der Beek gag. They said yes! Then they spent a ton of time doing my hair and were freaking out backstage because her publicist had still not sent them a photo of what she was wearing. Once they did, this seamstress who works on the show and is insanely talented ran to target and made my outfit in 15minutes while Jillian was in her dressing room. They realized she had changed her hair to blonde so then they threw the blonde wig on me in the last 3 minutes before we went out. My friend Dana, (mini Eric) and I were under there a good 10min (we first tried rehearsing underneath but started laughing so hard we had to look away from each other while our heads are pressed down), so her reaction was everything. I'm a huge fan of the show since episode 1, and I feel like it is much more performance art based than anything. I don't think of myself being made fun of in this sketch because everyone is just in awe about it being pulled off when I watched their reactions after it came out. That job took me places!

https://www.reddit.com/r/2healthbars/comments/74goet/eric_andre_interview_phase_2/

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jul 23, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The game also portrays the founding fathers as assholes. It's kinda funny how the trailers portrayed the game as "americans beats the filthy oppressing brits" and then the game turned out to be a lot more nuanced than that.

Well they were. One of the reasons for the revolution was that Britain had treaties with many of the Native American tribes. Washington and co really wanted to burn their villages to the ground and then did.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

evobatman posted:

Jim "loving" Sterling", Son" is in wrestling now. After he had lovely back-related health issues. So you don't really need to beef up to be part of that - showmanship is key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGC5dZFQ-cQ

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Aardvark Barber posted:

He's really really great at rubbing what he's doing in. Getting the "charity-supporting" woman to extensively lie about doing charity things, then escalate the scale of the lie, then, still in the same scene, denounce people who don't really care about charity at all and just do it for the instagram cred is amazing.

I'd really like to know more about the behind-the-scenes stuff though, like how many right-wing elected officials does he have to mess with to find one dumb enough to keep going with the poo poo he puts them through, and how many left-wing elected officials did he try before giving up and just showing them being pretty rational and rejecting his nonsense (were there some dumb left-of-center ones and they just don't get shown because that's not the show's goal?)

That he got Cheney to proudly sign his waterboarding bottle horrifyingly suggests it's probably not actually cherrypicking at all, and it really is just that the reality is like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A big part of becoming a wrestler is just learning how not to hurt yourself. It takes a while just to learn how to fall flat on your back- your body's reflexes are to stop yourself, but since the "story" calls for you to fall, and falling badly can really gently caress you up, the safe(st) thing is to spread out the impact as much as you can.

Cardio's the other main thing, some guys look like they're sucking wind five minutes in and that's never good.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Vandar posted:

And along those same lines, the wrestlers themselves have changed from stereotypical jocks, 'alpha males', and the like, into, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ine-ZApwF8

A bunch of nerds and geeks.

It's great. :allears:

huh, a friend of mine who's a bit of a wrestling know-it-all has often said that 80-90s wrestlers were mostly failed jocks who all watched back in the days of ultra-macho carnival wrestling and brought an exaggerated imitation of that when they became talent themselves since that's what attracted them to the industry while current wrestlers are all closet nerds who watched back in the attitude era and talked on message boards about kayfabe, marks, smarks, storylines and all that and now bring that sort of meta-stuff into modern wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hard counter posted:

huh, a friend of mine who's a bit of a wrestling know-it-all has often said that 80-90s wrestlers were mostly failed jocks who all watched back in the days of ultra-macho carnival wrestling and brought an exaggerated imitation of that when they became talent themselves since that's what attracted them to the industry while current wrestlers are all closet nerds who watched back in the attitude era and talked on message boards about kayfabe, marks, smarks, storylines and all that and now bring that sort of meta-stuff into modern wrestling

It's basically live performance comic books. Complete with recycling storylines because the audience should have aged out of it, retcons, regular reboots and legacy shenanigans that wouldn't fly today.