Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, for some reason I hear Sam Rockwell. Then again, I’ve never read the comics, and am completely unfamiliar with the character.

Any voice that's smug enough will work for him. Even Gladstone thinks the dude is smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Figures that Scrooge has his own personal SCP Foundation in his basement.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

nine-gear crow posted:

Just going off the Comic Con trailer it looks like it's the Sky Pirates/Don Karnage episode first, and then the two-part finale.

Not quite.

Next week is Sky Pirates... In the Sky!!

The week after is The Secret(s) of Castle McDuck

The week after THAT is The Last Crash of the Sunchaser

and THEN the Two-Part Finale airs back to back on August 18th

According to the disney wiki.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Am I right in thinking that that's the Bigfoot from the Goof Troop opening?
I could look it up but I wanna posit the question first.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There is no Bigfoot in the goof troop intro.

Are you thinking of the Bigfoot from a Goofy Movie? Because I immediately looked that up and alas, it is a different Bigfoot

E: oh there was a bigfoot episode of goof troop, but no dice there either

It does strike resemblance to this Bigfoot though

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I could have sworn I've seen that particular Bigfoot design from this episode somewhere before but I can't quite remember where.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
You know, I've been thinking, an episode with Mark Beaks and John D. Rockerduck would be kind of interesting considering the latter was retooled into being the "modern millionaire" in appearance and methods in the Duck Universe, a role which the former has in this particular universe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Folt The Bolt posted:

You know, I've been thinking, an episode with Mark Beaks and John D. Rockerduck would be kind of interesting considering the latter was retooled into being the "modern millionaire" in appearance and methods in the Duck Universe, a role which the former has in this particular universe.

Well one of the big differences is that Rockerduck is old Money. Unlike the other Three Billionaires we know he is not self made.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I've seen that particular Bigfoot design from this episode somewhere before but I can't quite remember where.

Yeah, same. I thought it was Goof Troop. The hell was that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well one of the big differences is that Rockerduck is old Money. Unlike the other Three Billionaires we know he is not self made.

Is it established how Glomgold made his money?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it established how Glomgold made his money?

Worked for it like Scrooge, but Glomgold is much more liable to make dirty deals and engage in some criminal enterprise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Scrooge made it square but Glomgold didn't. Glomgold is ordinarily presented as a more realistic Gilded Age robber baron than Scrooge, who is himself an idealised version of Andrew Carnegie (since Carl Barks was an unabashed admirer of Carnegie and Rockefeller and the rest).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Scrooge made it square but Glomgold didn't. Glomgold is ordinarily presented as a more realistic Gilded Age robber baron than Scrooge, who is himself an idealised version of Andrew Carnegie (since Carl Barks was an unabashed admirer of Carnegie and Rockefeller and the rest).

Modern Glomgold is also presented an analog to the Donald Trump and Leona Helmsley brand of billionaires. A heartless bombast who’s all style and little substance who managed to market his “personality” more than any actual product or service and who got rich and famous by slapping his name and face on literally anything he could—and doing it on the cheap.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, same. I thought it was Goof Troop. The hell was that?

Are you guys thinking of the Bigfoot that Goofy and Max ran into during A Goofy Movie? The one that danced to Stayin Alive.

Edit: sorry, I completely missed that someone said the same thing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Preview of Don Karnage

https://twitter.com/jaimecamil/status/1022533790172729345?s=21

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Don't go soft on me, Evil Louie!"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Congratulations to Dewey on getting his first archnemesis.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It might be the second. We didn't hear the full story of that hat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stickers are for kids!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm kind of impressed with how regularly they use the words "kill" and "die" on this show. I didn't think you were allowed to do that on children's television, but then again this show's been kind of transgression from the start, so why not go all-in on it, especially since everyone loves it.

Also, my exact thought process at a certain point during this Ep: "Man, they've really neutered Karnage compared to TaleSpin... aaaand he just murdered a dude. Well then." :stare:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He had a parachute.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't seen it yet but is the new Don Karnage as entertaining as his original version was and does he have the same voice actor?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

I haven't seen it yet but is the new Don Karnage as entertaining as his original version was and does he have the same voice actor?

I wish Jim Cummings was voicing him but no, He is still very fun however.

Given the time frame difference, maybe it will be revealed the original Don Karnage was his father or something as he is set up as a recurring villain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Don Karnage is now played by Rogelio from Jane the Virgin and that’s amazing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wish Jim Cummings was voicing him but no, He is still very fun however.

Given the time frame difference, maybe it will be revealed the original Don Karnage was his father or something as he is set up as a recurring villain.

Huh, kind of weird they didn't bring him back as Cummings is basically a Disney staple and already came back once to play DW. Good to know though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Stickers are for children. Adults call them decals.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This show is great. What would have otherwise been an obtrusive musical number(plus reprise) was seamlessly integrated.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Stickers are for children. Adults call them decals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished watching, while I think I still like the TaleSpin version of Karnage a little better the new one was fun and I hope he comes back next season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So between Mark Beaks, Black Heron, and Don Karnage, this means now that three of the four kids have personal antagonists to square off against down the road. I wonder who Louie's is going to be?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

So between Mark Beaks, Black Heron, and Don Karnage, this means now that three of the four kids have personal antagonists to square off against down the road. I wonder who Louie's is going to be?

Doofus Drake might be a good candidate if he holds a grudge.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doofus Drake might be a good candidate if he holds a grudge.

Him or Trevor the Bigfoot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting that they introduce Don Karnage on his own, though there's no reason he has to always be menacing just Baloo all the time. (also not sure if the Talespin cast are easy to use with the rights issues, but then again, they did specifically say there's only an executive mandate on Mickey and Chip 'n' Dale, everything else is fair game. And maybe Mighty Ducks rights issues)

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Higher for Hire appear in a future episode, and likely a race between Baloo and Launchpad. (Though let's be honest, Baloo would utterly smoke Launchpad) Would be interesting if they end up hired by one of Scrooge's rivals... Shere Khan might be an interesting rival to Scrooge himself, quite likely pragmatic enough to partner with Scrooge whenever possible rather than compete unless he's sure he has an edge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting that they introduce Don Karnage on his own, though there's no reason he has to always be menacing just Baloo all the time. (also not sure if the Talespin cast are easy to use with the rights issues, but then again, they did specifically say there's only an executive mandate on Mickey and Chip 'n' Dale, everything else is fair game. And maybe Mighty Ducks rights issues)

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Higher for Hire appear in a future episode, and likely a race between Baloo and Launchpad. (Though let's be honest, Baloo would utterly smoke Launchpad) Would be interesting if they end up hired by one of Scrooge's rivals... Shere Khan might be an interesting rival to Scrooge himself, quite likely pragmatic enough to partner with Scrooge whenever possible rather than compete unless he's sure he has an edge.

According to the Comic Con trailer the show is (ostensibly) going to Cape Suzette before the end of the season. The brochure Donald's seen holding advertising the city also has the Sea Duck on it. At this point anything's possible, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, just realised; in early episodes, Webby has stunted social skills and zero experience in lying or guile, which Louie has to teach her. In this latest episode, Webby successfully pulls one over on Louie with lies and guile.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Larryb posted:

Huh, kind of weird they didn't bring him back as Cummings is basically a Disney staple and already came back once to play DW. Good to know though.

I think the reason Karnage was voiced by someone different is because these creators are very careful to avoid white actors voicing characters that sound like they could be a POC ethnicity (even though the "ethnicity"/accent of Karnage was always indeterminate, he seemed coded as Latino/Central American). Angones was asked on social media about the current Three Caballeros cartoon and said that he enjoys the voice actors on that show but if/when the other caballeros appear on Ducktales17 they would definitely be voiced by an actor from the country they're supposed to represent.

Or maybe Cummings was busy doing postproduction VO work for "Christopher Robin"

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm kind of impressed with how regularly they use the words "kill" and "die" on this show. I didn't think you were allowed to do that on children's television, but then again this show's been kind of transgression from the start, so why not go all-in on it, especially since everyone loves it.

For some reason Disney's been extremely lax on this in recent years and we're all the better for it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bbf2 posted:

I think the reason Karnage was voiced by someone different is because these creators are very careful to avoid white actors voicing characters that sound like they could be a POC ethnicity (even though the "ethnicity"/accent of Karnage was always indeterminate, he seemed coded as Latino/Central American). Angones was asked on social media about the current Three Caballeros cartoon and said that he enjoys the voice actors on that show but if/when the other caballeros appear on Ducktales17 they would definitely be voiced by an actor from the country they're supposed to represent.

Or maybe Cummings was busy doing postproduction VO work for "Christopher Robin"

For some reason Disney's been extremely lax on this in recent years and we're all the better for it

I have no idea if he's involved in the casting process or not, but I just want to say that Sam Riegel's been doing a fantastic job as the voice director on the series thus far. I've been a big fan of his as a voice actor for a while now and it's nice to see he's just as talented on the other side of the recording booth too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a common theme with death in modern cartoons is that you can say it, or you can do it, but not both at the same time.

Also does make a lot of sense that sky pirates always wear parachutes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I appreciated seeing them doing rehearsals.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
In my heart of hearts I'm hoping it was due to scheduling conflicts because he's a series regular in the revived Clone Wars, but I know that's unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, I can understand that they want to make their own mark on things and have a more diverse voice cast, avoiding have too many characters be the same guy talking to himself.

Does the new Don Karnage voice have a history in musical theatre?