Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Room without doors thing doesn't seem to be working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Probably still needs to be fully enclosed? Weird if true.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Probably still needs to be fully enclosed? Weird if true.

Yeah, I don’t understand the patch note.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The room still has to be enclosed, it just doesn't need a door. I'm assuming stuff like poles, ladders and tubes count towards enclosure so you could have a room with no door and a ladder running through it, for instance.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ladders and poles do not count for enclosure. The patch note was to let enclosed areas without a door but with a transit tube thing be rooms.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Alkydere posted:

He's using the polluted water to cool off the iron generated by this volcano, as maintained by this patent-pending Nisbet-based cooling system:

Because skin regrows and constantly repairing auto-sweepers gets tiring apparently.

This right here is why I love this game. Hahahah, the happy, dopey expression on Nisbet's face as she hangs out next to a live volcano. Just another day at DupeCo! :downs:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Ladders and poles do not count for enclosure. The patch note was to let enclosed areas without a door but with a transit tube thing be rooms.

Wish it'd said that, thanks for the explanation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
God dammit, I didn't know you could put doors sideways. Going to use so many more ladders now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can't put a ladder behind a door so in addition to waiting for door to open, dupes have to climb out of the ladder and jump onto next tile, slowing them down further. It's not a very useful feature outside gating falling water or similar, tbh.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was actually thinking while playing a little bit ago that it would be nice if there was a hatch door or something that works with ladders. If not something that could be placed over a ladder, something that has a tile that acts as the equivalent of a ladder.

By the way, is there a guide anywhere on how the advanced storage stuff like auto-sweepers and conveyers work and cool things to use them for? I'm trying to plan out raiding an ice biome for water and I'm wondering if I can do better than to just have dupes carry the ice back.

And is there a proper way to get dupes to drop items in a place other than to have them put them in a storage compactor and then get the compactor to reject the items by unchecking them from its list? I've been using that for feeding Hatches and it feels kind of exploity.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BattleMaster posted:

I was actually thinking while playing a little bit ago that it would be nice if there was a hatch door or something that works with ladders. If not something that could be placed over a ladder, something that has a tile that acts as the equivalent of a ladder.

By the way, is there a guide anywhere on how the advanced storage stuff like auto-sweepers and conveyers work and cool things to use them for? I'm trying to plan out raiding an ice biome for water and I'm wondering if I can do better than to just have dupes carry the ice back.

And is there a proper way to get dupes to drop items in a place other than to have them put them in a storage compactor and then get the compactor to reject the items by unchecking them from its list? I've been using that for feeding Hatches and it feels kind of exploity.

The mechatronics conveyor belts basically work like pipes/vents for Solids. Set up an input, a route and an output and you're good, you just have to power the input and set up what items you want to go in it (like a storage chest)

Meanwhile the autosweeper just picks stuff up and puts it down in a 9x9 area. Useful with a bit of planning and surprisingly pretty "smart" about it since they need no programming. I've got one in my power plant feeding a pair of coal generators since the entire area is 40-50C Dupes hop in just long enough to drop off coal at the storage compactor before they leave, and the sweeper keeps the generators loaded. I also have one taking dirt/phosophorous provided by conveyor belts to shove into fertilizer machines and then delivering the resulting fertilizer to a third conveyor "pump"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I guess I'm stupid or something, I had some storage containers as drop off points for coal right next to coal generators and had a sweeper that was in range of both and it never did a thing. I was kinda pissed because I had just torn apart and rebuilt half of my power room trying to get that to work and it was a poo poo ton of refined metal. How do I convince the sweeper to take coal out of storage and put it in the generator?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bird food bathtub posted:

I guess I'm stupid or something, I had some storage containers as drop off points for coal right next to coal generators and had a sweeper that was in range of both and it never did a thing. I was kinda pissed because I had just torn apart and rebuilt half of my power room trying to get that to work and it was a poo poo ton of refined metal. How do I convince the sweeper to take coal out of storage and put it in the generator?

Give the generator a higher priority than the storage.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

The mechatronics conveyor belts basically work like pipes/vents for Solids. Set up an input, a route and an output and you're good, you just have to power the input and set up what items you want to go in it (like a storage chest)

Meanwhile the autosweeper just picks stuff up and puts it down in a 9x9 area. Useful with a bit of planning and surprisingly pretty "smart" about it since they need no programming. I've got one in my power plant feeding a pair of coal generators since the entire area is 40-50C Dupes hop in just long enough to drop off coal at the storage compactor before they leave, and the sweeper keeps the generators loaded. I also have one taking dirt/phosophorous provided by conveyor belts to shove into fertilizer machines and then delivering the resulting fertilizer to a third conveyor "pump"

You don't need the dupes feeding the storage compactor. Have it auto-loaded using a conveyor belt.

Basically like this:

Conveyor loader outside of the generator room > conveyor belt > conveyor receptacle inside generator room

Then you place an auto-sweeper above the conveyor receptacle and it auto feeds the generators using the coal that arrives in the receptacle via the belt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lorini posted:

Also Rooms no longer require a door to be a room. Which is kind of strange but OK.
Cool. That's a tile I can put to better use.

In the early game I accepted a dupe who was a loud sleeper because his stats were so good. I built him his own bedroom, that happened to be a floor up from the other bedroom. I was amused to note that his snores go straight through the [normal] door; fortunately, because of the floor offset, they didn't penetrate into the quiet-people dorm.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

enraged_camel posted:

You don't need the dupes feeding the storage compactor. Have it auto-loaded using a conveyor belt.

Basically like this:

Conveyor loader outside of the generator room > conveyor belt > conveyor receptacle inside generator room

Then you place an auto-sweeper above the conveyor receptacle and it auto feeds the generators using the coal that arrives in the receptacle via the belt.

That was the eventual plan, though right now I'm working on smelting enough metal to replace my lovely wires with the good poo poo. I've just been busy doing other stuff in game/real life to make such progress.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Scheduler is in, first implementation. Giving it a shot in a few minutes, will report back.

OK this is what it looks like:

Thing is I'm not sure why I should care, but that could very easily be me.

It's also buggy as hell. All my dupes are named Meep now, seriously.

Also none of them have jobs and they aren't unemployed either. Might want to wait a bit before downloading this one.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 20, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There has been an update since my last post, but game is still crashing, would avoid until another update.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ambaire posted:

Give the generator a higher priority than the storage.

I got sick of rebuilding my entire power plant to test this so I flipped on sandbox mode, wiped an area and just started testing stuff. Turns out the slider bar on a coal generator that says something about when duplicants will interact with it was the problem. My coal generators are the backup power for when my natural gas vents are hibernating and instead of that slider being "At what level of coal should they fill the generator" it is apparently "At what level of stored battery power should they fill the generator" so the auto sweeper was unlikely to put anything in the coal gens while I was watching on the "live" network.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phase changes are cool. I found an ice biome with two Anti-Entropy Thermal Nullifiers so I built an Abyssalite insulator room around them with a vacuum layer around it for good measure and started feeding all my CO2 into it. After a little while liquid CO2 started dripping from the indestructable platforms they came on. After a longer while it started raining CO2 as the fresh CO2 pumped in started condensing right out of the air. Sometimes it snows as the droplets freeze into chunks in mid air. Now mineable blocks of CO2 are forming at the bottom. I probably could just vent it into space but this is more amusing.

Phase changes suck. I found out that the surface of the asteroid is super hot, which isn't really a problem for vac suits. But now a section of my service tunnels are deadly to dupes because there is a loving pool of 200 degree C molten phosphorus in it because some of the phosphorite from the caustic biome I breached the surface through melted and dripped in while wrecking my exosuit checkpoint and docks in the process. I know it's deadly because one of my idiots died in it trying to grab something shiny. I hope it was worth it, fucker.

In conclusion, Oxygen Not Included is a land of contrasts.

edit: maybe I can solve this problem by dropping some dry ice into the molten phosphorus :thunk:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 22, 2018

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BattleMaster posted:

edit: maybe I can solve this problem by dropping some dry ice into the molten phosphorus :thunk:

Congrats, I made an involuntary "eeeee" sound on reading this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Lots of problems with latest patch, might want to hold up for a bit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol at the new power requirements for phonobox and arcade machine

jesus christ, they are so clueless sometimes

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy moly 960 for a jukebox, and >1k for the game system :shepface:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Live is Thursday so I guess that's going live. Seems unusable to me. But so are the schedules so ??

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What's unusable about schedules? They work fine for me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know of a way to roll back to a previous update? With the changes they're making, I think the cosmic update is gonna be the last I play of this game. Ranching update was preferable, or even the job update.

This is the only early-access survival game I've played that doesn't have a way to revert to a prior major release via the beta tab.

Alternately, if I copy the game folder to a different directory, that should work, right?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Does anyone know of a way to roll back to a previous update? With the changes they're making, I think the cosmic update is gonna be the last I play of this game. Ranching update was preferable, or even the job update.

This is the only early-access survival game I've played that doesn't have a way to revert to a prior major release via the beta tab.

Alternately, if I copy the game folder to a different directory, that should work, right?

I don't know the answer to your questions but probably give the devs enough time to finish their game before you go and try to do something like this, there's a lot room to grow and Klei is a good dev team.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pigbuster posted:

Guess one of your dupes is into Bitcoin.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

What's unusable about schedules? They work fine for me.

There's no reason to use them. So I guess they are usable but why would I at this point create a different schedule? Puzzling to me but perhaps you folks know.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

There's no reason to use them. So I guess they are usable but why would I at this point create a different schedule? Puzzling to me but perhaps you folks know.

Because your bathrooms and recreation rooms have a maximum size and it's not ideal to have all of your dupes rush to use them at the same time. For example if you have three toilets and six dupes then it's better to have two schedules with different leisure times. (Aside from that I don't like it when ALL work stops at the colony at the same time.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Because your bathrooms and recreation rooms have a maximum size and it's not ideal to have all of your dupes rush to use them at the same time. For example if you have three toilets and six dupes then it's better to have two schedules with different leisure times. (Aside from that I don't like it when ALL work stops at the colony at the same time.)

I have five lavatories and three sinks, they've never had a problem, noting I don't use small bladder dupes. The rec rooms are pretty big, you really fill them up to the point you need to change schedules?? How many dupes are you running? There's a great hall now that you can build with recreational stuff, 120 tiles, even bigger.

I just don't see it but then again I only run with 13-15 dupes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does the new schedule thing let you make certain dupes work at 'night' and sleep during the 'day'?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pigbuster posted:

The power usages and generation of some things baffle me. 600 watts from burning coal but then you get power usages like this :psyduck:

I also think it's disappointing that Wheezeworts are nearly infinitely superior to the technological gas and fluid cooling options (not counting the Anti-Entropy Thermal Nullifier, but you can't just put those wherever you like). It would be nice if any of that stuff was worth building versus just building a few flower pots.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Actually in thinking more about this I could see it. I don't think it's worth the trouble of setting up multiple schedules so that you could get along with fewer bathrooms but if that's what you want to do then now you can do that. I guess I was expecting something more like getting more work out of each job in some way, but that has not shown up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Does the new schedule thing let you make certain dupes work at 'night' and sleep during the 'day'?

I haven't tried it but I don't see why not. Again not sure how that would help me but the schedules don't seem to be night day sensitive.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Actually in thinking more about this I could see it. I don't think it's worth the trouble of setting up multiple schedules so that you could get along with fewer bathrooms but if that's what you want to do then now you can do that. I guess I was expecting something more like getting more work out of each job in some way, but that has not shown up.

Well, it takes literally 30 seconds to create a new schedule and assign some dupes to it.

You're right though, I'm hoping schedules will be expanded upon to offer more benefits later.

That said, I really don't want Rimworld-style "Bob hates his ex-wife Ashley's guts so you need to make sure their schedules and jobs ensure they never run into each other while walking down the street" level of micromanagement.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Well, it takes literally 30 seconds to create a new schedule and assign some dupes to it.

You're right though, I'm hoping schedules will be expanded upon to offer more benefits later.

That said, I really don't want Rimworld-style "Bob hates his ex-wife Ashley's guts so you need to make sure their schedules and jobs ensure they never run into each other while walking down the street" level of micromanagement.

But you have to work out the schedule right? This dupe then, that dupe then, those dupes then. That's a lot more than 30 seconds. I'll just build more lavatories in warmer places :).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Eh? Half the fun of Rimworld is watching them flip out and fist fight in the middle of breakfast. eg:

It doesn't mean impending doom for the colony either, just some free doctoring experience, a few blood stains and a break from the monotony of another day harvesting rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I hate it. If that's what I wanted, I'd just play Rimworld. There's plenty of mods for Rimworld to give it a ton of replayability apparently.