Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should bring back Saltspray Rig as a Salmon Run map. It would work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Another interesting tidbit from the interview. Salmon Run hasn't really gotten many updates, and there was one big reason for that. The person in charge of that game mode decided to help out with Octo Expansion full time. Now that Octo Expansion is out, he's hoping to maybe do something more with it.

New Salmon Run special wave: Protect the Orb

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Jiang Shi posted:

You joke, but they also talk about the hardest stages in Octo and Amano (the Salmon Run director) claims that he has never failed Girl Power Station...

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Doc V posted:

You joke, but they also talk about the hardest stages in Octo and Amano (the Salmon Run director) claims that he has never failed Girl Power Station...

This is why the designers make the worst testers

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Splatoon twewy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jiang Shi posted:

Funny you should say that. Way before Octo Expansion was announced, there was an objective type in Salmon Run that was discovered, but unimplemented. Instead of a basket you delivered golden eggs to, you had to protect a tower from the Salmonids, and prevent them from destroying it. The tower itself even had a new model put in later on. (Didn't exist in 1.0, but was put in one of the 2.X versions)

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Do it, Amano. I'm ready

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

:O

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It me, the splatterscope squid.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Chargers are black magic to me, I don't have any feel for them at all

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

im a poser splatterscope squid, here are my other guns

im still sad e-liter got nerfed so badly :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Chargers are black magic to me, I don't have any feel for them at all

It's a lot of pushing past initial heartache.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
buddy i cant aim with freaking dualies let alone chargers.

i stick to bucket and octobrush

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have not bought a single charger, bamboozler, or goo tube. And never will.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
:same:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cowards.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

chargers are good tho

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In competent hands, sure. I've never been good at sniping in any game. TF2, Halo, etc. Just never been my style. I'm barely competent enough to use them in Salmon Run, I'm terrible at hitting Steelheads properly. As many folk can attest to here, like Butler.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

thats fair. its kind of weird for me though, in tf2 and overwatch i was super good at projectile heroes (demo and soldier, pharah and hanzo) and just ok at the snipers (sniper, widow - except for ana, i was god-like with her), but for splatoon its the chargers that i ended up gravitating towards

i guess the rng of the other guns in splatoon bug me, i remember maining the 96 gal a long time ago and just like that scene out of pulp fiction i had my crosshairs trained on a bad guy and fired, my shots splattered around him then he aimed at me and i got squelchered. if i miss id like it to be my own fault thank you

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Smiles posted:

i guess the rng of the other guns in splatoon bug me, i remember maining the 96 gal a long time ago and just like that scene out of pulp fiction i had my crosshairs trained on a bad guy and fired, my shots splattered around him then he aimed at me and i got squelchered. if i miss id like it to be my own fault thank you

same dude

https://my.mixtape.moe/wcewfb.mp4

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Smiles posted:

I can empathize with this. It's the main reason I use the N-Zap over a Splattershot. While the latter isn't terrible, I prefer my shots to be spot on.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Smiles posted:

There's a pattern to the .Gal's, mainly that the first shot will hit where the crosshair is set, but then it'll gradually increase the RNG. So if the first shot won't hit 'em, the following shots most probably won't either. So it's better to do short controlled bursts - it only needs two hits to splat someone anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This applies to almost every single shooting weapon (Though Splatlings always have a 30% chance of shooting towards the outer reticle, no matter how long you've been shooting.) There's a recoil mechanic in effect that makes your shots more inaccurate as you shoot longer. This does make it easier to paint better, but shooting constantly isn't quite something you want to be doing excessively in firefights, unless you're using an accurate weapon. For the Gals, you definitely want to stop firing for a bit if you've been shooting too long.

For the .52 Gal, it takes 6 shots to reach minimum accuracy, while it takes 9 shots to do so for the .96 Gal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I have bought the best hat in the game

The pork pie hat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know they've said they've adjusted their matchmaking algorithms but I really wish they would take specials into consideration so I wouldn't have to play against 3 sting rays in a single match.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Hey goons if you see Guy Fieri in a turf n chill match, send a friend request. That's me.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I know the stingray is supposed to be really useful, but I never manage to do anything with it. Is it because I only play Turf War and it only shines in objective based modes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Strafe with it. Also you can stop and re-aim.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A trick people like to use is to open the map after tagging people with it, since damaged enemies show up on the map, and control it that way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Position yourself so it's shooting down major choke points or common enemy perches, and/or fire straight into firefights the rest of your team is engaged in.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tagging also helps with the aiming, but that's probably why you won't find any Sting Ray/Point Sensor sets. The regular Dynamo Roller has Ink Mines tho'.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GANDHITRON posted:

I know the stingray is supposed to be really useful, but I never manage to do anything with it. Is it because I only play Turf War and it only shines in objective based modes?

It's definitely far less useful in Turf War.

also

GANDHITRON posted:

I only play Turf War

:chloe:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
The concept of having a rank that goes down when I do poorly makes me nervous. Also, I still can't aim for poo poo.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I mainly play TW as well. While I do find the ranked modes plenty fun, they are not as laid back to play.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GANDHITRON posted:

The concept of having a rank that goes down when I do poorly makes me nervous. Also, I still can't aim for poo poo.

If you suck enough, your rank can never go down!

Play salmon run, play single player. Both really help with your basic skills and help you find a weapon that clicks with you

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I do pretty well in Salmon Run, actually. I hover between 100/200 Profreshional rank. Haven't finished Octo Canyon, but I've done most of the expansion, all with motion controls on.

I just feel like I die really quickly in any firefight, but as someone pointed out earlier, I've been using mostly close range weapons. I just think gimmicky stuff like rollers and brellas are fun though, until I get gunned down like a rabid dogfish.

Maybe I'll just commit myself to getting drunk this weekend and learning how to play clam blitz or whatever with splatchargers and range blasters. Splat Zones sounds like a pretty fun mode, honestly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GANDHITRON posted:

Splat Zones sounds like a pretty fun mode, honestly.

Splat zones is the best, except for rain maker and salmon run which are also the best.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is absolutely terrorism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

God I hate the overtime rules in this loving mode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
come play turf war, milord