Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Big eye station in here.

Full Trailer released on July 23rd, 2018. Release Date - December 21, 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw-KKYpCARA

https://i.imgur.com/cJ5SKbX.mp4

They made her bad rear end arm-blades into a huge gently caress off sword :cut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Cameron, Rodriguez and Salazar did a YouTube Q&A when they dropped the trailer today and about five hundred people watched it. So yeah, prospects not looking too good there

They've got my money though, the manga is my favourite comic of all time and I'm so loving stoked for this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what it's like to spend years of your life pouring yourself into something creatively, then it's just DOA before it even hits theatres and you know you're gonna have a failure from day 1 of release. That's gotta be a demoralizing experience. I guess you just try as best you can to relax and let time go by, hope that your work finds an audience as the years pass(which does happen pretty often so it's a realistic hope).

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder what it's like to spend years of your life pouring yourself into something creatively, then it's just DOA before it even hits theatres and you know you're gonna have a failure from day 1 of release. That's gotta be a demoralizing experience. I guess you just try as best you can to relax and let time go by, hope that your work finds an audience as the years pass(which does happen pretty often so it's a realistic hope).

As Will Forte said of MacGruber, "When you make something that you’re really proud of and it doesn’t do well, you can live with it." (Also MacGruber owns.)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

- Did she steal Zapan's sword? He has a similar one earlier on in the trailer.
- When she busts through the sign at 2:16 you can freeze-frame and see her rollerblade feet.
- The big eyes don't bother me much but I've never really been hit hard by uncanny valley stuff in general.
- I want this movie to be good.
- zerker body looks cool, but I'm a touch worried she's going to have a gang of latchkey kids (backs of their heads at 1:15) to hang out with though I can accept them if they all get brutally murdered. Also how did they get out of the scrapyard also those are way too many trees.
- flan is civilization.

that's all I got.

Oh also worth pointing out that this now releases on the same day as Bumblebee and Aquaman. :cripes: An all CGI Christmas extravaganza!

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

- zerker body looks cool, but I'm a touch worried she's going to have a gang of latchkey kids (backs of their heads at 1:15) to hang out with though I can accept them if they all get brutally murdered.

Koyomi's in it so I'm betting she's one of them

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Clipperton posted:

Apparently Cameron, Rodriguez and Salazar did a YouTube Q&A when they dropped the trailer today and about five hundred people watched it. So yeah, prospects not looking too good there

They've got my money though, the manga is my favourite comic of all time and I'm so loving stoked for this

Here is the video of the Q&A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwjokFLKx4

Rosa Salazar is a sweetheart. You can tell she likes her role.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Koyomi's in it so I'm betting she's one of them

I bet one is his cohort that helps him do the spine extraction. That might be the guy getting cut up by Zapan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Please be good :pray:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

Call me Desty Nova
Eternal Light
These gravely digs of mine
Will surely prove a sight
And don't forget my dog
Fixed and consequent

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

Call me Desty Nova
Eternal Light
These gravely digs of mine
Will surely prove a sight
And don't forget my dog
Fixed and consequent

Good song!

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I remember a couple of concept artists who were doing preproduction for this like over a decade when cameron was still gonna direct it showing their work and it really captured the cyberpunk-body horror look that the manga has, this seems way more generic and sterile from an art-direction angle. The manga has so much style and originality in it's aesthetic that this seems to really not have anymore. Also the eyes.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Also if they're not going to stick totally to the plot plz find a way to include motorball and/or a space karate tournament.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

Also if they're not going to stick totally to the plot plz find a way to include motorball and/or a space karate tournament.

motorball is definitely in it. marko zaror as ajakutty which rules

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the imagery in this trailer, I don't like the music choice or the blunt exposition.

She also looks like an animated character in every medium shot.

Fights look good!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Tormented posted:

Rosa Salazar is a sweetheart.

Can confirm. She is one of 2 actors (out of many) that's ever smiled and talked to me as a lowly IT dude at the studio.

Also the actual movie score was done by the same guy that did Mad Max Fury Road (Junkie XL), so don't let the lovely trailer music fool you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're getting my money for drat sure. Also, a LOT of people I know think this movie looks loving sick as hell, so it's not really a guarantee that this'll fail.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

I remember a couple of concept artists who were doing preproduction for this like over a decade when cameron was still gonna direct it showing their work and it really captured the cyberpunk-body horror look that the manga has, this seems way more generic and sterile from an art-direction angle. The manga has so much style and originality in it's aesthetic that this seems to really not have anymore. Also the eyes.

given that one set of big eyes is making everyone recoil in terror and explosively poo poo their pants, "more body horror" is probably not what this movie needs to put asses in seats

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They're getting my money for drat sure. Also, a LOT of people I know think this movie looks loving sick as hell, so it's not really a guarantee that this'll fail.

i watched pacific rim get destroyed by grown-ups 2, and it inoculated me against box-office disappointment for all time

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pacific Rim is actually what I was gonna say basically the worst case scenario for this movie is.

Pacific Rim got "destroyed" by Grown Ups 2, but which of those movies got a sequel and is actually remembered by people? Hint: the one that doesn't have Adam Sandler.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
But Grown Ups 2 was a sequel?

And I mean it's not like there's any chance of a Pacific Rim 3 (................................................................IS there?)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Pacific Rim is actually what I was gonna say basically the worst case scenario for this movie is.

Pacific Rim got "destroyed" by Grown Ups 2, but which of those movies got a sequel and is actually remembered by people? Hint: the one that doesn't have Adam Sandler.

yeah but watching it come in second was still pretty darn rough

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Harime Nui posted:

But Grown Ups 2 was a sequel?

And I mean it's not like there's any chance of a Pacific Rim 3 (................................................................IS there?)

kinda beside the point. Pacific Rim entered pop culture in a way that GU2 absolutely the hell did not, and if Alita gets smacked down in the box office it'll probably similarly outlive whatever beats it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I still wish they saved the motorball arc for the second film. The arena announcer yelling out "Aaa-leee-taaah!" would have been an amazing reintroduction to the character.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

I still wish they saved the motorball arc for the second film. The arena announcer yelling out "Aaa-leee-taaah!" would have been an amazing reintroduction to the character.

The Motorball arc is so self-contained and well-crafted it would make one really great movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Motorball arc is so self-contained and well-crafted it would make one really great movie.

Yep. I was super bummed out when Cameron explained he had weaved motorball elements into the first film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm pretty sure he just means the motorball stuff gets slightly set up earlier on and doesn't pop up out of nowhere, and that movie #2 is gonna be a more or less straight adaptation of the manga's motorball story

like it's worth noting that the only major motorball character we have a casting for is Ajakutty

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm pretty sure he just means the motorball stuff gets slightly set up earlier on and doesn't pop up out of nowhere, and that movie #2 is gonna be a more or less straight adaptation of the manga's motorball story

James Cameron posted:

What I'm going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie.

From http://collider.com/battle-angel-james-cameron/

Things in the script might have changed since then, but I've watched/read several interviews where Cameron explicitly states the Motorball arc is a significant chunk of the first movie.

[edit] From my bookmarks about the Battle Angel Alita movie, I saved an article from AICN where, during an interview from 2003, Cameron actually did intend to have Motorball be in the second film. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/14982 — for a more vintage reading experience, here's the article on the original site viewable in the way back machine archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20030504055500/http://moviehole.net/news.php?newsid=1448

Shows just how long this movie has been in development.

[edit 2] More goodies. Apparently Cameron had a Mazinger Z film in development alongside Battle Angel. At the time of the article's publication, Battle Angel was a project he was collabing with Guillermo del Toro on (GDT introduced Cameron to the manga). http://www.aintitcool.com/node/7133

quote:

like it's worth noting that the only major motorball character we have a casting for is Ajakutty

Gelda (played by Michelle Rodriguez) is written as a Motorball player in the film apparently.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 24, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I wasn't sold on the first trailer but the second makes it seem a bit more interesting. I'll probably see this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teagone posted:

[edit 2] More goodies. Apparently Cameron had a Mazinger Z film in development alongside Battle Angel. At the time of the article's publication, Battle Angel was a project he was collabing with Guillermo del Toro on (GDT introduced Cameron to the manga). http://www.aintitcool.com/node/7133

!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Macksy posted:

Fully agree. Also noting this appears to be suffering from GitS' 'copy the anime mostly but make the action look shittier' syndrome.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Wondering about the plot structure and how much we haven't seen from the trailer. Maybe it's polite to spoil this stuff?

We have her intro, meeting hugo, realizing she's a combat borg with the scythe lady. Then presumably word gets back and she gets a (maybe unofficial) bounty on her head. In the fight with Makaku (or whatever they call him in the movie) she still has her original body, so presumably she loses / barely wins that fight and gets all hosed up?

There's a bit with Ido limping into the the hunter hall with what I think is likely is her head in a bag? In the manga that's where he sticks her in the berserker body but in this it looks like she finds that with Hugo + gang while her original one is in good repair so I'm not sure when exactly she gets attached to it. Not a lot of berserker-body in action footage in the trailer and almost no motorball aside from the one shot of her busting through the display board. No real idea what the back half of the movie's structure will be -- maybe second act she runs away from Ido after he doesn't want to give her combat upgrades, then does motorball for a minute with the zerker before... dunno. Hugo stuff happens and he gets hunted, leading to her attacking the central factory where Vector presumably lives?

That all assumes there isn't any trailer fakeouts, but I doubt they care enough for that sort of thing when it's not a Marvel movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I have no idea what to make out of Alita exploring that ship with those kids and finding her zerk body. But then again i haven't read the comics past when she encounters Desty Nova, so maybe it's all just a slightly altered part of her past?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea what to make out of Alita exploring that ship with those kids and finding her zerk body. But then again i haven't read the comics past when she encounters Desty Nova, so maybe it's all just a slightly altered part of her past?

It's probably a Chekhov's Berserker Body where she'll find it with the kids early on in the movie's run time but Ido will be like no that's obviously way too dangerous and powerful for you to use but then later on after she gets beaten up he'll attach her head to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

It's probably the ship in that flashback of how she got lost on Earth.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh yeah, it's probably finds body -> ido won't tell her about it (bit in trailer where she smashes a cart, the body is on the table behind them) -> gets in fight -> ido says 'oh derp maybe you needed this.'

Still not sure where motorball fits in.

E: I just mean if they're supposedly doing a FULL motorball arc. I'm thinking all the above happens by the 1/2ish point in the movie and she thinks she dealt with the threat and does a bit of ballin' then oops Hugo is still running around being a putz and Zapan goes after him, then mini revenge arc. No confrontation with Jashugan and all, that's too much to pack in.

Do we think Hugo bites it the same way? I sincerely hope so.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 24, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of get the vibe that the movie is a more or less straight adaptation of vol. 1-2, with Makaku swapped out for Grewcica from the OVA (presumably because lmao at the idea of trying to do Makaku well in a PG-13 movie), the berserker body shuffled up a little earlier, and some of the earlier bits of the motorball stuff shuffled in to get that 2:30 runtime.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

GDT in Pacific Rim mode doing an Alita movie would have ruled so hard. Ron Perlman as Zapan. Burn Gorman as Desty Nova. Mocap Doug Jones as a freaky cyborg

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clipperton posted:

GDT in Pacific Rim mode doing an Alita movie would have ruled so hard. Ron Perlman as Zapan. Burn Gorman as Desty Nova. Mocap Doug Jones as a freaky cyborg

Yeah, but also, Mazinger!

Imagine Doctor Hell played by Nicholas Cage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Clipperton posted:

GDT in Pacific Rim mode doing an Alita movie would have ruled so hard.

Agreed. The visual aesthetic of Pacific Rim is how I imagined a live-action Battle Angel Alita would look like, color palette/cinematography wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
After watching the trailers, I'd believe those eyes are a combat feature meant to trap the brain between an instinctive protective response to infant mammals and the uncanny valley.