Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

not to be rude but idk why you guys are discussing the dumbass opinions of some twitter rando

Uh, they're on the internet, so they belong in this thread, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah you can find plenty of rear end kissing for space marines or the imperium because they're uniform, big cool guys in superman armor who fight the good fight against evil crazies and degenerate monsters... the combine are vivisected "transhuman" "volunteers" clapped in armor with poo poo jammed all in them to make them jackboots for space slugs, who'll send them into Gordon's blender at a moment's notice and are liable to phase them out afterwards anyway, they don't really have any kind of the "cool" factor that usually attracts dumbfuck neo-nazis to villainous groups, they're very sterile and mechanical, there's no charismatic face you, just submit or you get to be a stalker. Really if anything I could see them trying to rewire their view as the combine being the evil lefties, because they're a collective and look they're even multicultural because they enslave and repurpose all kinds of aliums and that just can't fly.

Am I remembering right that among the Orwellian bigbrother type stuff they tell the combine soldiers and police that if they don't meet quotas or whatever they get sent off world. With the implication that it's really horrible and likely a death sentence like the mobile infantry in Starship Troopers?

Anyways, here's this same fox guy with Loki showing what it's like to own a fox and the constant work it takes.
Episode 1 - The instinct - So you want to own a fox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8KEe9tGZ4

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There on the internet, and they have some sort of personality, so they go in the trash thread, amirite

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

Am I remembering right that among the Orwellian bigbrother type stuff they tell the combine soldiers and police that if they don't meet quotas or whatever they get sent off world. With the implication that it's really horrible and likely a death sentence like the mobile infantry in Starship Troopers?

Yeah that dispatcher voice threatens them with 'permanent off world reassignment' and Breen gives them a speech in the prison level saying that their good performance as military grunts and jackboots is all thats keeping humanity from total and immediate extermination. Its a pretty bleak new world order.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Steve Shives - Something Hinky in Helsinki - The Facepalm Five: July 23, 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_K6ks7acs

1. Trump and Putin, two atrocious men!
2. Anti-ANTIFA bill introduced! 15 year minimum for bashing the fash.
3. Anti-Trump FBI agents and the anti-Trump witch hunt grilled by house republicans.
4. She-Ra-Reboot drawing fire from you know who, LMAO.
5. TRUMP! hahaha lol tRuMp :chaostrump:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah that dispatcher voice threatens them with 'permanent off world reassignment' and Breen gives them a speech in the prison level saying that their good performance as military grunts and jackboots is all thats keeping humanity from total and immediate extermination. Its a pretty bleak new world order.

Yeah, it’s more of a “gotta be useful to the space grubs or they will kill us all even if it means sacrificing everyone, kids included. If you want to be stupidly dark with a comparison to comparison to the real world. breen is basically just a more useful equivalent to Chaim Rumkowski.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

Steve Shives - Something Hinky in Helsinki - The Facepalm Five: July 23, 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_K6ks7acs

1. Trump and Putin, two atrocious men!
2. Anti-ANTIFA bill introduced! 15 year minimum for bashing the fash.
3. Anti-Trump FBI agents and the anti-Trump witch hunt grilled by house republicans.
5. TRUMP! hahaha lol tRuMp :chaostrump:

the anti-antifa bill is probably my favorite thing there because it's so overtly 'well we don't want, like, the KKK getting busted for this, but the guys who hate nazis need to go to jail forever'.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MariusLecter posted:

This is even more pathetic than usual too, apparently this is a boy and the baddies are pushing propaganda, because really she should be thinner and have less muscles and have bigger tits, but also be tougher and stronger and have bigger tits?

Bakeneko posted:

...You know you're on the losing side of an argument when someone makes a good point and the only retort you can come up with is “Well, uh… I have more followers than you!”

They blocked me over the most milquetoast single "I don't really see the connection" post, guess I didn't have enough followers. :allears:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

This is even more pathetic than usual too, apparently this is a boy and the baddies are pushing propaganda, because really she should be thinner and have less muscles and have bigger tits, but also be tougher and stronger and have bigger tits?

I’ll admit I never saw the original show, but based on the screenshots I've seen those character designs don’t even look all that different. It actually seems like faithful updating of the original style.

Not that most of the people complaining saw the original show either, I’m guessing. They’re just looking for an excuse to whine.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I remember catching random eps of Thundercats/She-Ra/He-Man stuff way back. They were all pretty bad overall, but especially in the animation department. I welcome new, not-bad versions of those things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I’ll admit I never saw the original show, but based on the screenshots I've seen those character designs don’t even look all that different. It actually seems like faithful updating of the original style.

Not that most of the people complaining saw the original show either, I’m guessing. They’re just looking for an excuse to whine.

yeah. people are saying its lovely calarts type thing like the new thudercats but to me this looks fine, i never watched the show so it don't mean poo poo to me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I'm going to be very mad that this show aimed for little girls is not aimed at me, a middle-age man!

Anything not created specifically for straight white men in the 18-35 range is automatically feminist propaganda out to destroy western civilization.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hey, that looks cool! Now I kind of feel bad because I always found He-Man and She-Ra incredibly boring. Hopefully it not only looks better.

sexpig by night posted:

Any of these animal youtubes that focus on tarantulas by chance? I've been thinking of getting one lately but all the main communities I've seen have been forums based, be nice to have videos to watch for details and all.

And on a completely different track, what about home brewing beer on youtube? Kinda the same thing with them, most communities there seem to be podcasts or places like reddit. I like to toss youtube on in the background while I write or play games or something, and podcasts work well too but I like to be able to look over at a video if something sounds interesting or confusing.

This, but also centipedes? I'm always wondering about how you would hold these little motherfuckers, ever since I saw a picture of a grinning man, with a giant rear end centipede coiled around his arm

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Speaking as the audience of the original She-Ra, the original designs were sexier and boobier, but the only real difference is that they look like they're leaning into the anime "magical girl" vibe of the show, and making it more targeted toward kids.

Like, I'm not a big fan of the style in the screenshots, but who cares? It's not erasing my shitload of toys (that I haven't played with in decades).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Somewhat related to critics/RLM, Previously Recorded is hanging it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp2pg4s2J0Y

Sounds like they're felt like they're stagnating/repeating themselves and it's not going anywhere/becoming a grind, so they're moving on.

(Insert YouTube comments about replacing Best Of The Worst here)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah you can find plenty of rear end kissing for space marines or the imperium because they're uniform, big cool guys in superman armor who fight the good fight against evil crazies and degenerate monsters... the combine are vivisected "transhuman" "volunteers" clapped in armor with poo poo jammed all in them to make them jackboots for space slugs, who'll send them into Gordon's blender at a moment's notice and are liable to phase them out afterwards anyway, they don't really have any kind of the "cool" factor that usually attracts dumbfuck neo-nazis to villainous groups, they're very sterile and mechanical, there's no charismatic face you, just submit or you get to be a stalker. Really if anything I could see them trying to rewire their view as the combine being the evil lefties, because they're a collective and look they're even multicultural because they enslave and repurpose all kinds of aliums and that just can't fly.

If you want 'cool facists' look to the Helgasht from the Killzone series

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you want 'cool facists' look to the Helgasht from the Killzone series

I blame Brian Cox.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Helgasht are all kinds of narratively confused. They're like actually considered a distinct racial and culture underclass prior to the events of the game up to having aomsoen being "half-Helgasht" being notable and recognizable by outside observers. But then in the game itself they're are 100% coded Nazi the whole way through.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Personally I think the new She-Ra looks a bit shite, but then I'm 33 sooo...um, that's it really? I do not see this as something to feel strongly about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hakha identifies himself as being half-helghast, Rico just seems him as a pale skinned nazi until he's corrected. So it's not that clear cut.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yeah, it's still rather unfortunate to have your bad guys be very clearly nazi coded, and then give them a background involving a rebellion against forced labor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hakha identifies himself as being half-helghast, Rico just seems him as a pale skinned nazi until he's corrected. So it's not that clear cut.

to be fair. rico just hates helghast and is kinda of moron who hosed an entire planet with his various dumb actions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Helgasht are all kinds of narratively confused. They're like actually considered a distinct racial and culture underclass prior to the events of the game up to having aomsoen being "half-Helgasht" being notable and recognizable by outside observers. But then in the game itself they're are 100% coded Nazi the whole way through.

And yet if you pay attention to the actual background details of the world, every implicit detail says that’s actually just bullshit Helghast propaganda and there is, in fact, no difference between humans and Helghast and everyone on both sides is just being amazingly racist. I mean, there’s a bit in the third game where the player character, Sev, has to sneak past a Helghast-detecting bio-scanner in a Helgast-operated facility, and it’s a tense moment because he knows he’s going to get caught because he’s actually a human wearing a Helghast disguise, and he gets waved through clear because THE HELGHAST ARE ACTUALLY HUMAN AND THAT WHOLE THING ABOUT THEM BEING A DIFFERENT SPECIES NOW IS JUST NATIONALIST PROPAGANDA!

If you actually look beneath the surface of the row row shoot ‘em up military man stuff, the Killzone franchise is actually really whip smart at this kind of stuff. It’s just a shame that it took until Horizon: Zero Dawn for people to start recognizing who good Guerrilla Games was all along.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Well yeah, it's still rather unfortunate to have your bad guys be very clearly nazi coded, and then give them a background involving a rebellion against forced labor.

its not really a forced labor thing. its more, they were a giant trade federation type corperation and they lost a war to the space UN and fled to some lovely hell planet where they basicaly went full north korea. they turned their disibilities and the early hard scramble years as propaganda, the gas masks and goggles are a cultural symbol and poo poo. its basicaly if nazis had more of workers ascetic.

one of the better facists villians in games is honestly cod Infinite warfare. the villians are basically the "good guys" from starship troopers mixed with zeon/zion/whatever from gundam. its a complete military based society with tons of weird poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet if you pay attention to the actual background details of the world, every implicit detail says that’s actually just bullshit Helghast propaganda and there is, in fact, no difference between humans and Helghast and everyone on both sides is just being amazingly racist. I mean, there’s a bit in the third game where the player character, Sev, has to sneak past a Helghast-detecting bio-scanner in a Helgast-operated facility, and it’s a tense moment because he knows he’s going to get caught because he’s actually a human wearing a Helghast disguise, and he gets waved through clear because THE HELGHAST ARE ACTUALLY HUMAN AND THAT WHOLE THING ABOUT THEM BEING A DIFFERENT SPECIES NOW IS JUST NATIONALIST PROPAGANDA!

If you actually look beneath the surface of the row row shoot ‘em up military man stuff, the Killzone franchise is actually really whip smart at this kind of stuff. It’s just a shame that it took until Horizon: Zero Dawn for people to start recognizing who good Guerrilla Games was all along.

yeah. the most of a difference there is that they are sorta able to breath in thinner atmospheres. but people here can do that if they live in high altitudes places.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's just ripping off gundam

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Apologies for stopping whalfway through the rather bad first game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Apologies for stopping whalfway through the rather bad first game

2 and 3 are pretty good, shadowfall is ok and that vita game is fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

2 and 3 are pretty good, shadowfall is ok and that vita game is fun.

This is the truth. 1 is awful. Just watch the cutscenes of KZ1 or read Blind Sally and mine’s LP of it (which also degenerates into a mess because Killzone 1 was a mess—but we get better once we move on to Liberation!). Liberation is a Good PSP game, it plays like Metal Gear Solid and is fun as poo poo. Killzone 2 and 3 are fantastic. Shadow Fall could have been better, but Guerrilla’s A-Team was working on Horizon at the time. And yeah Mercenary is probably the best Killzone game period, and it’s a shame because it’s stuck in hell on the Vita.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the most of a difference there is that they are sorta able to breath in thinner atmospheres. but people here can do that if they live in high altitudes places.

Exactly. Their bodies adapted to the toxic atmosphere and background radiation of Helghan over the course of several generations, but that’s no different from say people who live in the Andes or the Himalayas physically adapting over generations to survive in those extreme environments.

Again, when you get to meet the upper crust of Helghast society, who are descendent from the first generation of settlers who were rich enough to be able to afford dwellings that shielded them from Helghan’s more mutative elements as they acclimatized to the planet, you see that they all still look “human” in comparison, having actual hair and less pallid skin tones. Hell, one of those characters, Admiral Orlock, actually visibly shaves his head bald in solidarity with his soldiers so they don’t treat him like some upper crust rear end in a top hat.

Also I’m sorry if I’m perpetuating this Killzone derail. It’s just that I have LP’d literally the whole franchise at this point from a critical eye perspective, so I’m quite well versed in it’s ins and outs now and can talk about it for hours.a

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Killzone is the industry's whipping boy. It's not CoD or Battlefield so why do any other shooters exist? Especially when they, on the surface, look kind of generic albeit technically impressive. They did outsource those games' writing. Not until Horizon did they hire actual writers to not only create the story but to fill out the world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sad part is there was a shitload of background writing for Killzone 2 that was available on the games website before it vanished and little of it was present in the game proper. Thankfully the internet doesn't forget and it was archived.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Killzone is the industry's whipping boy. It's not CoD or Battlefield so why do any other shooters exist? Especially when they, on the surface, look kind of generic albeit technically impressive. They did outsource those games' writing. Not until Horizon did they hire actual writers to not only create the story but to fill out the world.

Killzone's great original "sin" was that the gaming press hyped it up as the PlayStation's "Halo Killer" and then castigsted it when it didn't live up to the hype it created for it. And that stigma has overflowed onto every subsequent game because people are idiots...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

So the UK comedian Richard Herring does a live podcastt every week from the Leicester Square Theatre in London which also goes up on YouTube in video form. It's often quite cool with various other comedians and funny folk past and present...but 3 months ago, he had Brian Blessed on. It's everything you would expect and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4cWoetw4s

Me and my girldem only just watched this last night, but it has to be seen to be believed. See if you can count how many words Richard Herring actually says through the whole thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The sad part is there was a shitload of background writing for Killzone 2 that was available on the games website before it vanished and little of it was present in the game proper. Thankfully the internet doesn't forget and it was archived.

yeah, its an interesting universe. what sucks(and i can't really blame the studio) is that not alot of it is in the game outside some enviromental story telling. i think the biggest sinner in the field of "overhyped story" is loving halo. every advertisement campaign tells one thing as some grand adventure/conclusion/fight and then its some ho-hum poo poo where two dudes fight each other over the equivalent of master chiefs bathroom pass. reach was the only one that i liked because it didn't pretend to be something else really. that being said, i have gotten more interesting thoughts and poo poo from call of duty campaigns than halo and bioshock infinite(not that super hard) or alot of over hyped "art" stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They're hardly perfect things, but it does always annoy me when somebody does the ole "Call of Doody brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage" routine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can blame Cod's bipolar marketing for the jingoism. The campaigns might want to have commentary on violence and naive heroism but most people see Cod for the multiplayer which the commercials sell as this insane "everyone can be a hero with a gun!" bullshit that revels in violence and explosions.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Personally I think the new She-Ra looks a bit shite, but then I'm 33 sooo...um, that's it really? I do not see this as something to feel strongly about

Yeah, basically. I only care the amount I do because I'm mildly interested in seeing if it's a good show. (I don't have high hopes, but it could turn out good. Or at least be popular among its target demo, which would be nice.)

Well, and it's entertaining to watch the weird chuds get their dander up with the weirdest opinions ever. But that doesn't really make me care about the show.

Though man, I really wanna dig out my old toys now.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Kim Justice posted:

So the UK comedian Richard Herring does a live podcastt every week from the Leicester Square Theatre in London which also goes up on YouTube in video form. It's often quite cool with various other comedians and funny folk past and present...but 3 months ago, he had Brian Blessed on. It's everything you would expect and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4cWoetw4s

Me and my girldem only just watched this last night, but it has to be seen to be believed. See if you can count how many words Richard Herring actually says through the whole thing.

I saw this when it first popped up and it is indeed great. Reminded me of when he hosted Have I Got News For You.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tired Moritz posted:

not to be rude but idk why you guys are discussing the dumbass opinions of some twitter rando

As I said, the person who tweeted this has written stuff for HG101. Granted, HG101's not as popular as something like US Gamer or GiantBomb, but it's a site I like (even if I haven't been following it as much as of late).

Bakeneko posted:

While you’re not wrong in that most people tend to see themselves as underdogs, all this does is show how fascists could potentially enjoy a piece of media that presents fascism as evil. It doesn’t show why Half-Life 2 deserves to be singled about when that theme is so common across all types of fiction.

What that tweet seems to be implying is that there’s something special about Half-Life 2 that attracts these people, but it offers no real evidence to support this. That person goes on to say that the game “constantly focuses on validating all of the players actions”, but that’s irrelevant since those actions don’t support fascism in any way. It also applies to the vast majority of video games so, again, there’s no reason to single HL2 out.

It just doesn't really hold any water. I don't know what thought process you have to go through to play something like Half-Life 2, fight the Combine and overthrow the Combine, then go, "Hey, I've got an idea! Fascism! I think it might work..." :psyduck:

Like, it would make more sense (and mind you, I'm not really putting this forward as a negative example) if you made the observation, "It's amazing how many people I know played Half-Life 2 and then became members of AntiFa." Like at least with that, I can see a correlation, where it's game where you join a resistance and fight against an oppressive regime. Even then, I think that's tentative. I'm more comfortable saying, "It's amazing that Half-Life 2 exists, because it gave us this video."

Yardbomb posted:

Even with 40K (which I've only really started to delve deep into within the last month or so), the fascism thing still seems surface level. When you start digging into some of the materials or stories that have been written in the setting, there's sort of a...meta-narrative, I guess...where there still exists people who aren't happy with the Imperium and want to change it for the better (or at least that's what I got from playing Space Marine and watching TTS).

Bakeneko posted:

Even among the people I follow who thought the Thundercats reboot looked awful, they looked at furor at the She-Ra reboot and were like, "It' doesn't look fantastic, but why are you getting salty about it?"

By the way, did you know they're doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot?

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1020452699676921858

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whedon needs fresh prey, I guess.