Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Took the Miata down to a track for an autocross event near Galveston. First corner of the first run I lost a swaybar endlink on the front and spun out. This run is the fastest I managed that day and put me in 9th place in novice. It finally clicked how to look ahead on a course to find the next cone during this event. Hopefully I can keep the swaybars connected on the next even and be able to carry more speed through the slaloms. Still need to work on smoothing my inputs and looking ahead. I guess I can't figure it all out at once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROcTYairlM

bonus wet lap a month ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijeZnZGrcc

Good God that course is huge. Looks like a blast. They keep it tight enough you're in second gear the whole time or can you go for third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

honda whisperer posted:

Good God that course is huge. Looks like a blast. They keep it tight enough you're in second gear the whole time or can you go for third?

The top video was on a track and they had it gated down enough to keep most of us in second gear. The guys who grabbed third seemed to make no time with it so on subsequent runs they just bounced off the rev limiter. The second video is at the Houston Police Academy and it's always 2nd gear only up there.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PaintVagrant posted:

The guys from Powerstop got a beautiful pic of my car at Autobahn. God drat.
https://www.powerstop.com/gridlife-pics-autobahn-country-club/

warm brakes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What's the consensus on the best cool shirts and driver cooling systems for non endurance use? Lime Rock was hot as hell this weekend.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cool shirts are amazing.

I forget exact part numbers - we bought the shirt, then found a latching cooler, put a bilge pump in it and found the right hose fittings to connect to the shirt. Fill it with ice and water before the race, works amazing. RV water pump might work better but bilge pump works pretty well too once it primes right.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gigi Galli posted:

What's the consensus on the best cool shirts and driver cooling systems for non endurance use? Lime Rock was hot as hell this weekend.

you'll wind up spending the same amount of money in R&D trying to figure out the cheap solution than just buying the cooler from cool shirt

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Is pissing all over myself not the same as a cool shirt?

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I have a cool shirt cooler and insulated lines, but the shirt is from Momo. I went that route on the advice of guys at a local shop. The Momo shirt has more of a bladder on the front and back of the shirt instead of just lines running through. I got a PWM controller to change the pump speed, because it will get really drat cold at full power. The Momo shirt does use different quick disconnet fittings, so you'll need to change those out on one side or the other.

I've only used it a few times but's amazing here in Texas. I will sometimes just sit in the car with the pump running between sessions.

Enderby
Dec 30, 2004

The cool suit system I built for our Lemons car was about $200 for the whole cooler set up and insulated lines. We ended up buying the shirts from ultra chiller which seemed like the best bang for the buck. System worked well at Gingerman a couple of weekends ago.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

you'll wind up spending the same amount of money in R&D trying to figure out the cheap solution than just buying the cooler from cool shirt

This is dumb advice.

Engel makes the cooler you want. McMaster sells every fitting you need, any random bilge pump off Amazon does the pumping. It shouldn't cost you more than $125 to build the cooler. Buy the shirt, homemade ones suck rear end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How flexible are the lines? Wonder if you can work on a car while wearing one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

How flexible are the lines? Wonder if you can work on a car while wearing one.

I kept mine on while replacing the driveshaft on our Lemons car. Not with the pump hooked up or anything -- just didn't bother taking it off.
Snagged tube on some bodywork and tore a pinhole in it.
But yeah, it's not really noticeable when you're moving around / driving.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's a good beginner helmet for autocross/DEs? I'm looking for something that will last and I won't want to immediately replace.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're going to want to try different ones on, the shells are shaped differently (oval, long oval, etc).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I have a Coolshirt brand shirt and a Donjoy Iceman cooler since it uses the same connections and theyre super cheap on ebay for used ones. I will say that I had my pump break this weekend from it coming unstrapped in the car and crashing around.

Aside from the cooler I had a great race weekend at the Rose Cup at Portland Raceway. I was in the Spec Miata class as a supporting race for the Pirelli World Challenge. I started the weekend in 29th out of 35 cars and the last race I ended in 20th out of 30. My fastest lap was a mid 1:34 in 97F heat with tires that had 17 heat cycles on them. The 1st place guy was doing low 1:31's and he was the only one that lapped me in the 40 minute race.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cool, man! I don't imagine people in a support race for a pro weekend are going to be slower SM racers either.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

mekilljoydammit posted:

Cool, man! I don't imagine people in a support race for a pro weekend are going to be slower SM racers either.

Yeah, I heard that a couple are SM champs. I think I could be upper mid pack with a little better setup, fresh tires, and more seat time. We also had Spec racer fords, Vintage cars, and the local Great American Stockcar Series.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NinjaTech posted:

Great American Stockcar Series
Wait, what? http://gasstv.com/ oh that's cool

Nice work on the great weekend

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't find ANY racing equipment stores in or around Buffalo to try on helmets. Is there anything around here or do I just have to buy several from a place with a good return policy?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KillHour posted:

I can't find ANY racing equipment stores in or around Buffalo to try on helmets. Is there anything around here or do I just have to buy several from a place with a good return policy?

Why not go to a motorcycle store/dealer and just grab a helmet with a snell cert and be done with it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I thought motorcycle helmets were rated M2015, not SA2015?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

I thought motorcycle helmets were rated M2015, not SA2015?

They are!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So what good would going to a motorcycle store do me? Do they stock SA2015 helmets at most motorcycle stores?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A motorcycle shop probably isn't going to stock SA rated helmets unless it's a large one or there's helmets that are rated for both. What it will do is help you narrow down what brand fits your head shape.

I'm facing the same issue, need to replace my helmet and there isn't crap for shops around here. I'll probably end up driving to AMP/Atlanta or go shopping next time I'm in Minneapolis.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I got mine at a moto store and it has both.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wait, what? http://gasstv.com/ oh that's cool

Nice work on the great weekend

Thanks!

I just got my on board video uploaded. The start was pretty exciting with people going 4 wide into turn 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkj4VtNu-w

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BloodBag posted:

I got mine at a moto store and it has both.

I wish my motorcycle Arais were this way, instead I have a HJC ARIII since I couldn't find SA Arais to try on and I didn't know which shells were shared between the two types.
Oh well, next time in Japan I will pick one up cheaper than here.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hopefully HJC improved their quality because the AR10-II is crap. Lining is already in bad shape after 2 years with mine, including the non-replaceable parts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Never owned one before, I've owned:
Shoei RF1100
Scorpion EXO600
3x Arai Vector 2

I'd say this is comparable to the Shoei, which I think are overrated. I expect a liner a year though.

How does driving a FWD car with LSD work coming from something RWD? I bought a 2007 Civic Si sedan and I figured I might as well bring it one day since my S2000 RPF1s bolt on.
It has more front grip than I expected and feels like it is probably as quick as the S2000 in a straight line.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 24, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just bought my first racing helmet, a SA2015. It looks kinda big and goofy on me but its definitely solid stuff and fits perfectly (tried on a few before picking one).

My M3 is almost back from the shop, but it probably won't be ready for the rallycross event this weekend. I'm not even sure if I want to rallycross the M3 since its pretty low to the ground... but rwd would be fun. I also have a new WRX that would be fun to rallycross, but its my daily so I'm not sure I should.

How stupid am I, goons? I was gonna buy a cheap shitbox so I wouldn't feel bad if I dinged it up rallycrossing, and instead I got a fairly nice M3 for tracking. But I still want to do rallycross events.

A. Rallycross the WRX and if it gets dinged up in the paint, I can always get it re-painted or something? No huuuuge deal. The course doesn't have any trees or boulders that would do serious damage...
B. Rallycross the M3 and slide around in the dirt? I wanna go sideways, and if I ding up the paint on it I wouldn't care too much either...
C. Show up and spectate and watch other people in the dirt and wait for the next track event instead...
D. Race both of them because they're my drat cars and who cares if I smash it and ruin the resell value? :retrogames:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Your wheels and fenders are gonna get lots of chips if you run on gravel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kimbo305 posted:

Your wheels and fenders are gonna get lots of chips if you run on gravel.

No gravel, just dirt on this course.

Ironically the city ripped up all the roads near my house and laid down new gravel but haven't paved it yet, so I'm being subjected to that whether I want it or not. A piece even got stuck in my caliper and started making AWFUL screeching noise until I fished it out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thrash the gently caress out of it - that's what an M3 is for. Get a clear bra if you're super worried about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, but I don't know if the m3 will be finished by this weekend. Prob still in the shop till next week.

I think I'm gonna put mudflaps on the wrx and take it out to the dirt. Its what it was meant to do.

Then I'll get the m3 back and track it, maybe take it out to the dirt too. gently caress it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Once you get a door ding in the parking lot of a supermarket, you'll stop caring. Now I just have fun with my cars (except the one that's leased) :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

How does driving a FWD car with LSD work coming from something RWD? I bought a 2007 Civic Si sedan and I figured I might as well bring it one day since my S2000 RPF1s bolt on.
It has more front grip than I expected and feels like it is probably as quick as the S2000 in a straight line.

If you can get the back to slide you point the wheels where you want to go and apply throttle. More oversteer add more throttle.

I don't know the hot setup on 07 civics but with the older 90-2000 styles the trick was a big rear sway bar and stock or none on the front.

I'm going the other way from hondas to a brz. It took a few rounds of autox to break the habit of adding throttle to counter oversteer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

Once you get a door ding in the parking lot of a supermarket, you'll stop caring. Now I just have fun with my cars (except the one that's leased) :)

That's the thing, I already scratched the wrx pretty bad and haven't bothered fixing it yet so gently caress it

Ordered some mud flaps and a gopro :)

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I just bought my first racing helmet, a SA2015. It looks kinda big and goofy on me but its definitely solid stuff and fits perfectly (tried on a few before picking one).

My M3 is almost back from the shop, but it probably won't be ready for the rallycross event this weekend. I'm not even sure if I want to rallycross the M3 since its pretty low to the ground... but rwd would be fun. I also have a new WRX that would be fun to rallycross, but its my daily so I'm not sure I should.

How stupid am I, goons? I was gonna buy a cheap shitbox so I wouldn't feel bad if I dinged it up rallycrossing, and instead I got a fairly nice M3 for tracking. But I still want to do rallycross events.

A. Rallycross the WRX and if it gets dinged up in the paint, I can always get it re-painted or something? No huuuuge deal. The course doesn't have any trees or boulders that would do serious damage...
B. Rallycross the M3 and slide around in the dirt? I wanna go sideways, and if I ding up the paint on it I wouldn't care too much either...
C. Show up and spectate and watch other people in the dirt and wait for the next track event instead...
D. Race both of them because they're my drat cars and who cares if I smash it and ruin the resell value? :retrogames:

Are you looking at going to the one at I96 in lake odessa? I'll be there on sunday. I don't think there would be too much damage to your car, but expect it to get extremely dirty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sex Weirdo posted:

Are you looking at going to the one at I96 in lake odessa? I'll be there on sunday. I don't think there would be too much damage to your car, but expect it to get extremely dirty.

Nah I'm down in Texas.

Its supposed to be a pretty clear track though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3GU6s0xAX0

A few people with pretty new cars mixed in with the beater shitboxes. One guy drove a brand new STI so I shouldn't stick out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

If you can get the back to slide you point the wheels where you want to go and apply throttle. More oversteer add more throttle.

I don't know the hot setup on 07 civics but with the older 90-2000 styles the trick was a big rear sway bar and stock or none on the front.

I'm going the other way from hondas to a brz. It took a few rounds of autox to break the habit of adding throttle to counter oversteer.

I'll give it a shot, worth one try :) Track time is track time.

Are the VTEC Club events a shitshow? I've wanted to run SoW so this seems like a decent idea since it'll be cooler out.
https://www.facebook.com/events/460611521052753/