Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

God is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

By the way, did you know they're doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot?

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1020452699676921858

So with the Charmed reboot there's plenty of room for improvement, but with the Buffy one I honestly don't know, because I've never seen the original show. Does it hold up?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Solitair posted:

So with the Charmed reboot there's plenty of room for improvement, but with the Buffy one I honestly don't know, because I've never seen the original show. Does it hold up?

Buffy is really rough in spots and suffers from the seasons being 22 episode seasons rather than the more compact 12 45-min episodes we have now. I compare it to (Nu) Doctor Who* in that it's a real grab bag of absolutely stellar episodes, trash episodes, and mostly mediocre episodes, but unlike Doctor Who you kind of need to watch it serially, it doesn't work nearly as well watching episodes as one-offs.

It has some really bad missteps, but it's definitely watchable.

* Which got inspiration from Buffy, so not surprising.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Whedon needs fresh prey, I guess.

Already covered. He has an entire pool of young women to prey upon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looking forward to the character whose power is that she walks around barefoot all the time.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Solitair posted:

I watched it one summer when I was bored and it was still on netflix. It was a bit outside my demographic, but supernatural action is still fun so I watched it all. It was...alright? It kind of had a Twilight thing going on before Twilight existed. Except for the proto-Edward got a spinoff as a vampire detective living in Los Angeles which was more hit and miss than Buffy was.

It had some really bad episodes, and a couple great ones. The best one had no supernatural elements at all.

I think it could benefit with todays shows generally being a lot more continuity driven. The show had arcs, but if I remember correctly the a good number of the episodes were one-offs. If they stay with the premise of the show and completely change the story, it could work.

One other issue is it featured Whedon's tendency to quip, which got old a long time ago. Then again, the show was campy as hell, so it might be a plus if it returns in moderation.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 24, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was clever for the era it aired in, in that it just pushed up against the conventions of broadcast tv without challenging or subverting them. Like it would show a character getting stabbed and hard cut to an establishing shot of a funeral, then have the character walk into the foreground and be totally fine, talking with her friend about the week she spent in the hospital recovering. It was smart at the time, but needed the rigidity of formulaic tv as a background to play off of.

Whedon was really just perfect for the turn of the 21st century. He’s long since been eclipsed by tv that’s broken the old conventions to do something new.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

It was clever for the era it aired in, in that it just pushed up against the conventions of broadcast tv without challenging or subverting them. Like it would show a character getting stabbed and hard cut to an establishing shot of a funeral, then have the character walk into the foreground and be totally fine, talking with her friend about the week she spent in the hospital recovering. It was smart at the time, but needed the rigidity of formulaic tv as a background to play off of.

Whedon was really just perfect for the turn of the 21st century. He’s long since been eclipsed by tv that’s broken the old conventions to do something new.

Do you think the remake has a chance of being good, successful, and/or interesting?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

For what it's worth, Whedon's just EP on the reboot; the showrunner is Monica Owusu-Breen.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Idran posted:

For what it's worth, Whedon's just EP on the reboot; the showrunner is Monica Owusu-Breen.

Was Agents of Shield any good? For no reason I can think of, I have not given any marvel tv shows a watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

lobster22221 posted:

Was Agents of Shield any good? For no reason I can think of, I have not given any marvel tv shows a watch.

Joss didn't have much to do with that. It got briefly decent when Winter Soldier did its big twist but other than that it wasn't worth watching.

The Marvel Netflix stuff is hit and miss but the hits are good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Buffy happened to be popular in the formative years of the last cohort of culture studies people who were able to actually get tenure, so it's going to be in the curricula for a very long time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Idran posted:

At least she’s probably too old and established in the profession to be one of his targets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

By the way, did you know they're doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot?

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1020452699676921858

wasn't she big friends with whedon or some poo poo for a while? i mean i hate wheadon so it don't mean poo poo but lol.

John Murdoch posted:

They're hardly perfect things, but it does always annoy me when somebody does the ole "Call of Doody brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage" routine.

oh yeah. most are mixed at best but some are pretty good. the BO ones are interesting at least. 2 is weird mixed bag where it has tons of weird jingoism poo poo but the villain is actually pretty decent and kinda not in the wrong at all. AW and IW are both good. and BO3 is loving headtrip. anyway the people that say that poo poo have never played one. they saw a screenshot from 4 and thats it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think Buffy SHOULD be rebooted. No concept is really original, and Buffy is a simple concept that you could do some interesting things with in a modern setting. I welcome them to at least try.

Maybe this time her friends will be a little less lovely.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

They should make this version of Buffy pack heat.

Like each time she goes out to fight werewolves or whatever she loads up on guns and the show takes 3 minutes to look at her loadout and fetishize her firearm preferences.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grimm was basically Buffy for people who grew up watching Buffy and are now in their 30s.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasn't she big friends with whedon or some poo poo for a while? i mean i hate wheadon so it don't mean poo poo but lol.

No? She's only ever been critical of him and his work as far as I know. She had some choice things to say back when he stormed off of Twitter forever a few years ago (he came back like he always does).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Angel > Buffy

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't the TV series already a reboot of the original movie anyway?

I liked it for it's time but those were the years I was watching so much TV I permanently damaged my eyes and had no critical watching skills at all. Also

Yardbomb posted:

Angel > Buffy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wasn't the TV series already a reboot of the original movie anyway?

I liked it for it's time but those were the years I was watching so much TV I permanently damaged my eyes and had no critical watching skills at all. Also

Nope, direct continuation. Even tried to get the original actress for the lead role, iirc.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I think Angel had higher highs and lower lows.

Except Buffy's beer episode. That was the lowest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lobster22221 posted:

I think Angel had higher highs and lower lows.

Except Buffy's beer episode. That was the lowest.

Angel doesn't have a musical spectacular :colbert:.

Though it does have the puppet episode... Hmmm... :hmmyes:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Angel doesn't have a musical spectacular :colbert:.

Though it does have the puppet episode... Hmmm... :hmmyes:

That was actually my next example.

And to contradict myself again, the body is probably the best episode in either series.

I think I may have gotten my opinions of the series mixed up.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 24, 2018

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

They're hardly perfect things, but it does always annoy me when somebody does the ole "Call of Doody brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage" routine.

While it may seem like "woke game journalist contrarianism" CoD is, in fact, brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage and 99% of the "commentary" on violence that people read into the text is simply the byproduct of sincere jingoistic garbage being too absurd to be believed.

To put it another way: Ghosts is not some outlier.

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can blame Cod's bipolar marketing for the jingoism. The campaigns might want to have commentary on violence and naive heroism but most people see Cod for the multiplayer which the commercials sell as this insane "everyone can be a hero with a gun!" bullshit that revels in violence and explosions.

Marketing CoD: "everyone can be a hero with a gun!"

Actual CoD: "are you a HARD enough to make the HARD decisions that HARD men need to make to be a hero with a gun?"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Still my favorite random slam on Joss Whedon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFK7oWLWapc&t=410s

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ditto!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

FoldableHuman posted:

While it may seem like "woke game journalist contrarianism" CoD is, in fact, brown people shooters jingoistic hoorah garbage and 99% of the "commentary" on violence that people read into the text is simply the byproduct of sincere jingoistic garbage being too absurd to be believed.

Actual CoD: "are you a HARD enough to make the HARD decisions that HARD men need to make to be a hero with a gun?"

I would argue that CoD 4, aka MW1 was the outlier to all the other ones, in that it did have at least some degree of said commentary.

I feel like maybe there was a glimmer in MW3 as well? But I honestly don't remember it that much so probably not.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sanguinia posted:

I would argue that CoD 4, aka MW1 was the outlier to all the other ones, in that it did have at least some degree of said commentary.

I feel like maybe there was a glimmer in MW3 as well? But I honestly don't remember it that much so probably not.

Wasn't CoD4:MW the one the devs actually got asked about some of the "commentary" and said that they just did it because it looked cool?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FoldableHuman posted:

Which one had actual war criminal Oliver North?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

DoubleCakes posted:

They should make this version of Buffy pack heat.

Like each time she goes out to fight werewolves or whatever she loads up on guns and the show takes 3 minutes to look at her loadout and fetishize her firearm preferences.

hey, supernatural is still running

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

hey, supernatural is still running

nick is roast beef and adam is horseradish

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Which one had actual war criminal Oliver North?
Black Ops II, 2 Cold Wars 2 Many.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Vanderdeath posted:

No? She's only ever been critical of him and his work as far as I know. She had some choice things to say back when he stormed off of Twitter forever a few years ago (he came back like he always does).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yardbomb posted:

Angel > Buffy

I WILL FIGHT YOU

Actually no I won't, it's TV opinions. :shrug:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
edit: gently caress it, i'll wait until more stuff comes out

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

You're making a really strong case that I should watch every single one of her videos. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're making a really strong case that I should watch every single one of her videos. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw6z9G7p1g

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

she's very good. I normally am not a huge fan of just 'webcam aimed at person sitting talking' style stuff but she's very funny and entertaining.

also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm very partial to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU