Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
The only reason I didn't go for NMS during the last few Steam sales is because of the rumors that the PS4 version will make use of PSVR, and it'll be some time before I can afford a new video card and a Vive. But there's been no advancement on that rumor since March so perhaps that was wishful thinking? We'll see. My favorite aspects of open world games are easily the exploration and discovery parts so NMS for all its flaws had a fair amount of appeal from launch, I just figured I'd wait and see if its problems would be fixed and as of last year it appeared that was very much the case and came very close to making it a Steam summer sale grab.

But I really, REALLY want a VR spaceship-explorer game so fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
odds of a sale on the PC version tomorrow, since i whoopsed on it during the last steam sale

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Honestly with Next I think we’re getting a game that is way more than what was ever promised at launch. I’m pretty stoked!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

Honestly with Next I think we’re getting a game that is way more than what was ever promised at launch. I’m pretty stoked!

BUT SANDWORMS WHEN

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

BUT SANDWORMS WHEN

gently caress the sandworm. The planet in that video looked niiiiice

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

BUT SANDWORMS WHEN

I found little sandworms once.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress the sandworm. The planet in that video looked niiiiice

They seem to have made some major changes to the lighting engine as well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can't remember if there was ever any planets with rain? I want to set up a base on a world where it rains all the time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

blackguy32 posted:

I can't remember if there was ever any planets with rain? I want to set up a base on a world where it rains all the time.

Rain was definitely a thing. lovely radioactive acid rain.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Based on when Sonic Mania hit, there's probably a good 7 hours until you can play NEXT unless you have an Xbox One copy.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

chaosapiant posted:

:allears:

Forgive my undying skepticism / appreciation of goon delusions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Forgive my undying skepticism / appreciation of goon delusions

As a matter of strict fact, what we know of NEXT is indeed in a literal sense way more than was ever promised at launch. In fact, even without the NEXT patch, Pathfinder/Atlas added enough to make the game "more than was promised at launch".

...except for the sandworms.

No midnight release on the patch for PS4, I just hope to god it doesn't take until 4 or 5 PM when the store is fully updated.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is there any comprehensive explanation of how multiplayer is going to work? Can I come across people without intending to?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dorkopotamis posted:

Is there any comprehensive explanation of how multiplayer is going to work? Can I come across people without intending to?
Pear Sean:
You can setup a party of 4 players. Other players can appear. You can turn off random encounters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It sounds like it's a Diablo 3 style system, where you can have your game be "open" or "closed".

Presumably there is some kind of ingame terminal or menu where you can choose to look for somebody else's session and then hop into it to explore around with them, Journey-style.

I just hope there are enough emotes. I saw that there are emotes but I couldn't get a look at roughly how many there were.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

precision posted:

As a matter of strict fact, what we know of NEXT is indeed in a literal sense way more than was ever promised at launch. In fact, even without the NEXT patch, Pathfinder/Atlas added enough to make the game "more than was promised at launch".

...except for the sandworms.

No midnight release on the patch for PS4, I just hope to god it doesn't take until 4 or 5 PM when the store is fully updated.

it's releasing at 9am Eastern

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Someone is streaming NEXT on twitch if anyone wants to see what the game looks like without any final updates.

https://www.twitch.tv/mikeod616

Edit: Dead already. Looked nice anyway.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 24, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Finster Dexter posted:

it's releasing at 9am Eastern

Oh nice. I couldn't find anything about the PS4 version, only that the XBOX one digital version was launching at 2pm GMT

I was planning on staying up all night anyway and I just got fresh weed. Hell yeah

edit: here's a guy playing it right now: https://www.twitch.tv/reaper8276

precision fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 24, 2018

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Used to play this on PS4 when it launched and it was a cool stoner game. Now I wanna try all the cool new stuff on my PS4 pro and it just blows up the fans to max, like the drat console is gonna take off and fly away. No other game does this, not even Horizon Zero Dawn. Any fix?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

precision posted:

Please keep all meltdowns and drama out of here. The old thread was not a "safe space" but the mods did ask that you keep it on topic and not poo poo it up with memes or no-content shitposts. Thanks!

Just want to reiterate this. I will be reading along and this thread will not become a repeat of last time, thank you all! :)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't wait to jump back in, just wondering if my ship / gear will be obsolete compared to all the recent updates.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

texting my ex posted:

Used to play this on PS4 when it launched and it was a cool stoner game. Now I wanna try all the cool new stuff on my PS4 pro and it just blows up the fans to max, like the drat console is gonna take off and fly away. No other game does this, not even Horizon Zero Dawn. Any fix?

From my understanding current gen consoles have mobile CPU's so my guess is because this is a CPU intensive game it's busting it's loving rear end

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Penpal posted:

From my understanding current gen consoles have mobile CPU's so my guess is because this is a CPU intensive game it's busting it's loving rear end

I had no noise issue on my regular old PS4 though, but on pro it's totally unplayable because of this

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

texting my ex posted:

I had no noise issue on my regular old PS4 though, but on pro it's totally unplayable because of this

I don't have the game but I do have a PS4 Pro... try toggling Performance Mode on/off and see if that helps.

Edit: when's this patch live and what's the likelihood of the game being discounted on Steam to promote it as a midweek madness thing or whatever?

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 24, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You can kill each other but you won't be able to steal their things or see their grave when they die.

Also, I'm curious about the patch notes, even more than about the update itself!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VideoGames posted:

Just want to reiterate this. I will be reading along and this thread will not become a repeat of last time, thank you all! :)

Goddamn funkiller *grumble grumble*

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

dogstile posted:

Goddamn funkiller *grumble grumble*

Me? The Funkiller?? Have you seen No Man's Sky???
:downs:

I jest, I own it and am very intrigued by how much it has changed!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm pretty excited to jump back in myself, it's been a while. The update drops in about 3.5 hours.

It's too hot to go outside anyway. Hope my PS4 doesn't overheat and explode, that would be less than ideal.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'd love to see you being able to loot another player's ship when you kill them, but only in Survival Mode or another mode separate so that it drive hardcore RP pirates.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a cliffnotes version of what's been going on with this game since release for those of us who saw the absolute mess that 1.0 was, walked away, and never looked back? From memory these were the largest complaints about it:

• 'Do anything you want' game play amounted to mining resources to fuel your ship with almost nothing else to do.
  • Buildings and reasons to build buildings were either non-existent or extremely pointless. In Terraria you built things to attract NPCs and stave off invaders, in Subnautica you built things to support deeper and deeper drives. Conan Exiles you built outposts and caches to support dungeon-diving. NMS had nothing.
  • The procedural generation was very bad, and resulted in worlds and animals that were [i]extremely[i] ugly compared to the beautiful vistas and animals of the trailers.
  • There was barely any interaction with natural wildlife, they kind of just moved around and did nothing.
  • Multiplayer was a flat-out lie with zero interaction possible, proved to be so when two players found themselves in the exact same place and were invisible to each other.
  • Space features and battles were non-existent or so close to being so as to make no difference.
  • The 'campaign' was again just fueling your ship up to go to specific planets to find the middle of the world, at which point your universe was reset and you did it again.

I think those are the biggest ones, and the overwhelming link seems to be the dev promising everything (and gamers falling for it) and not even managing to deliver a coherent experience at all, rather than simply promising "a relaxing trip you can mine minerals in" which seemed to be what 1.0 was.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
This patch, regardless of contents, is not going to change the game into something fundamentally different. So if that was your experience at release you're probably still not going to like it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I think all of the things you mentioned have been improved, there are now also different kinds of stories and it has side quests. But yeah, it's still the same type of game so if you didn't like it then, you'll not like it now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nah I like the idea of just kind of cruising around the galaxy seeing new things, occasionally building a hangout pad or something, meeting the locals etc, and my understanding was that 1.0 couldn't even manage that. If all that stuff seems improved and worthwhile I'll definitely check it out.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
1.0 very much could handle that. Sure, it was a fairly shallow repetitive experience, but I suspect it still will be, there will just be slightly more side quests and you'll be able to bring a few buddies.

It still won't live up to the initial hype, of course, because it would be impossible for a game to do so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Request for the next big update: larger settlements/towns/cities?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

..btt posted:

1.0 very much could handle that. Sure, it was a fairly shallow repetitive experience, but I suspect it still will be, there will just be slightly more side quests and you'll be able to bring a few buddies.

It still won't live up to the initial hype, of course, because it would be impossible for a game to do so.

Pretty sure that 1.0 didn’t have base building

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

doingitwrong posted:

Pretty sure that 1.0 didn’t have base building

I think the first major update added base building, 1.0 had next to gently caress all.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So for someone who hasn't played since it first came out is there any plot to follow? I remember getting atlas passes and there seemed to be some thing to follow, do you ever get any sort of revelation? I'm not very good at games without some kind of story goal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

by.a.teammate posted:

So for someone who hasn't played since it first came out is there any plot to follow? I remember getting atlas passes and there seemed to be some thing to follow, do you ever get any sort of revelation? I'm not very good at games without some kind of story goal.

There was a big update that added a storyline, yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

StrixNebulosa posted:

There was a big update that added a storyline, yup!

Great! i'll start a new game tonight then