Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
All forcing set players to be in their zones at stoppages will do is make forwards/backs do loving beep tests all game every game. Sprint back to the 50, sprint back out. gently caress AFL house

I'd rather take the idiotic old man 'it was better in the 70's' poo poo than these new ideas to 'fix footy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
All those changes are bad.

Make umpires full-time professionals. Give them 100k a year and call holding the ball sooner.

Hell they can do training with clubs and officiate practice matches if that helps.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Shmoses posted:

lmao he didn’t get suspended for this one you loving dunce. The only people I’ve seen crying that he should have been suspended are a couple of posters in here and the odd Melbourne fan on Twitter. You deserve Melbourne I swear

I’m actually aware that he didn’t get suspended by the chook lotto, I am saying he should be, you’re saying he shouldn’t, I’m saying if he doesn’t want to get suspended maybe he should stop striking people instead of relying on the absolute incompetence of the tribunal system to get him off.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Robodog posted:

I'd rather take the idiotic old man 'it was better in the 70's' poo poo than these new ideas to 'fix footy'.

Aren't those kinda two overlapping circles though?

I reckon there is a collective will - from execs looking at TV ratings to footy stars of yesteryear etc etc - to exert some kind of control over something that is incalculably bigger than any one person, and a hell of a lot more complex than a year or two of rule trials make it out be.

But of course, to accept this relative powerlessness and complexity would be completely at odds with the demands of the 24/7 hack footy media and various corporate concerns involved in our game.

Anyway, that's my hot take.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My hot take is the game is largely fine save minor tweaks such as the application of ruck nominations, protected area, score review, and the absolute farce that is the suspension system.

Most of these could be fixed by actually resourcing the loving departments better such as full time umpires, proper cameras, playing every game in front of an empty and sound dampened arena.

The types of changes they’re talking about to make the game “more attractive” will result in multiple 100 point thrashings each week as poor teams can’t defend. This will create an even more unequal competition as no one will want to go to Carlton and will seek to leave after their two year draft contract is up if they’ve managed to show enough that anyone else will take them.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
if I was CEO of a major Australian sporting league I would simply gather ex-player media figures to complain about how good football used to be and give them the power to ruin the game immeasurably without any testing whatsoever.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

My hot take is the game is largely fine save minor tweaks such as the application of ruck nominations, protected area, score review, and the absolute farce that is the suspension system.

Most of these could be fixed by actually resourcing the loving departments better such as full time umpires, proper cameras, playing every game in front of an empty and sound dampened arena.

The types of changes they’re talking about to make the game “more attractive” will result in multiple 100 point thrashings each week as poor teams can’t defend. This will create an even more unequal competition as no one will want to go to Carlton and will seek to leave after their two year draft contract is up if they’ve managed to show enough that anyone else will take them.

YEah but more goals is more ads so gently caress you

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

realbez posted:

YEah but more goals is more ads so gently caress you

This is really what it's about imo. The media creates a false crisis that just so happens to have a solution that incidentally benefits the media that created the crisis in the first place.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

All those changes are bad.

Make umpires full-time professionals. Give them 100k a year and call holding the ball sooner.

Hell they can do training with clubs and officiate practice matches if that helps.

Uhhh, no. Clearly that would result in over-training and cause the umpires to become worse at their jobs!

:suicide:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

Seconded. I'd add the advantage rule as well but it actually results in more goals as it currently stands so it'll never be changed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Five words to fix football: Suburban Grounds and Duffle Coats

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Holding the man needs to be paid more, not holding the ball. If you want less congestion, protect top players from having their arms held by VFL tier top ups.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Seven words to fix football: Suburban Grounds, wide brimmed hats & Duffle Coats

Agreed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Team prior opportunity will, if introduced, instantly become the most infuriatingly officiated rule in the game. Protected area and deliberate out of bounds have got loving nothing on that potential garbage fire.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

You Am I posted:

Five words to fix football: Cheer Squad Third Quarter Raffle

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DigiSportsLabs/status/1018678616861954048

I knew those Bombers were suspect.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I blame their PR manager, Stephen Dank Memes.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait what's with the twitter purge?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Chairchucker posted:

Wait what's with the twitter purge?
They removed a bunch of bot accounts.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Twitter should be purged from this universe

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Daniel Howe currently arguing that the trip that broke someone's leg should be classed as "medium impact".

Not even Tom Hawkins could pitch that to a tribunal of Shmoses and You Am I

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
richmond is the only club to have less twitter followers than club members

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

richmond is the only club to have less twitter followers than club members

Also teeth

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

O'Farrell suggests that a knee reconstruction, a compound fracture of the leg or a career-ending injury are examples of a higher case of impact. He says that is in no way trying to denigrate Fisher's injury.

Also being struck by a meteor is a higher impact, as is the execution method used in North Korea utilising an anti-air gun, and the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Or being hit with a crow bar or an iron bar of some description

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
weird defence

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

weird defence

He's trying to argue that it was medium impact, which means a fine instead of weeks

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Howe about that, 5 weeks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Only 3 weeks, that's added to the 2 weeks he got for punching Cripps

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

You should get a job at the herald sun!

3 weeks extra is better than I thought. At least he can play if we make the finals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I like when players get up on the witness stand and tell a story that is immediately and easily contradicted by high definition photographs and video of the incident

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

I like when players get up on the witness stand and tell a story that is immediately and easily contradicted by high definition photographs and video of the incident

Like Richard Douglas?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also lol James Harmes requires surgery on his hand because of a kicking in danger by Geelong which didn’t even get a free

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also lol James Harmes requires surgery on his hand because of a kicking in danger by Geelong which didn’t even get a free

This happened to Jordan Lewis so no mention of it in the media

https://twitter.com/gmacca1983/status/1020642915943559169?s=20

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

This happened to Jordan Lewis so no mention of it in the media

https://twitter.com/gmacca1983/status/1020642915943559169?s=20

No worries, a minute left in the contest, 2 points the difference, no way would actually paying a blatant free kick in the centre circle impact the result

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

One guy, three guys, five guys, the number isn't the issue, the problem is that like everything about the AFL it's based on picking an outcome advantageous to the corporation, and then working backwards through loosely constructed systems to create the appearance of a logical forwards pathway.

Nutsngum posted:

You sound stressed. Perhaps this program of being blindfolded in the desert might help relieve your woes?

No, NTRabbit is right about this one. It's been plainly obvious for all to see for years that the AFL, literally, decides what outcome they want from any given situation and then works backwards to find a justification for that outcome.

They've done it over and over and over again for as long as I've been watching footy. You'd have to be blind to miss it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

No, NTRabbit is right about this one. It's been plainly obvious for all to see for years that the AFL, literally, decides what outcome they want from any given situation and then works backwards to find a justification for that outcome.

They've done it over and over and over again for as long as I've been watching footy. You'd have to be blind to miss it.

Yeah the match review system is pretty obviously not above board. You only have to look at the things guys have gotten off for in prelim finals to see that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
All of these changes to alter the look of the game is just complete amateur hour, you look at all the major sporting codes around the world and just shake your head at the garbage the AFL administration come up with.

Maybe the AFL could look into funding the development of KP players, masking them less of a rarity, giving every club the chance to have players that can actually put a score on the board, rather than the 18 midfielders on the ground who are all too exhausted to kick properly.

By having high quality talls on the ground they're less likely to crowd the ball, see the NM Swans game the other week as a great example

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Maybe the AFL should open it's arms to foreign players instead of distancing themselves from them with the odd one slipping through to keep "the nuance of the game" from becoming unaustralian.

Or just stop loving with the rules and let the game evolve on it's own, this is a product of changing the rules every SINGLE loving YEAR. It wasn't broken but, "boyoooo we really need to speed this poo poo up!""

Remember the frog vest super sub? Yeah.

gently caress the AFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The rule changes really strike me as employees/a department at AFL House justifying their existence