Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was simultaneously an awesome and lame tournament.

Some great bouts and great sumo; Some disappointing kyujos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Also, for anyone who is interested, Wakaichiro got his kachi-koshi, finishing 4-3. So he'll be back in Sandame in September.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Also, Asashoryu's nephew Hoshoryu went 6-1 at Sd42. He's rising through the ranks pretty quickly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Enho should be promoted to Juryo too - some exciting kids coming through

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1021352783558135808

Hmmmmkay

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:laffo:

If he skips September and is not forced to retire, then he will be going into November with a 2018 record of 1-5-69

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

nice

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
From what I've read more time won't help, he's as recovered as he can get without having surgery. I bet he's done.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Didn't he elect NOT to get surgery done in hopes of returning faster?

I recall seeing a Chris Gould video on YT during Nagoya Basho and he said that Hakkaku blamed all the injuries on "improper physical conditioning". Like that thinking is so backwards to me. How can conditioning help prevent your arm from getting broken during a kotenage?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of that is true, there was an article posted about sumo training methods a while back, and they are way too intense and aren't based on modern ideas about conditioning. Add in the fact that there is pressure to resume training too soon, and you have a high chance of aggravating minor injuries. There is a reason why almost every wrestler has one or more body parts taped up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sports medicine in Japan in general seems mired in the "just rub some dirt on it" days.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Eventually there's going to be a stable that applies "modern" training methods and injury care and they're going to just run wild through the top division.

Though he world will probably end before that.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 24, 2018

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The problem with sumo is that missing time in tournaments due to injuries counts the same as losing those matches. Sure you can take 6 months off to recover from a serious injury but by then you will have fallen so far down the ranks that it will take you the better part of a year to move back up.

Especially the top rank guys refuse to fall below juryo since that means losing paychecks.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vargatron posted:

Didn't he elect NOT to get surgery done in hopes of returning faster?

Yes, if he were, say an NFL player he would have gotten surgery with a minimum of 9 months rehab and recovery. When he heard that, Kisenosato balked at the long time he'd be off and opted not to get the surgery, thinking... I don't know.... that he would heal properly through magic? At this point its too late, he can't get the surgery now, and he ended up missing a lot more time than he would have.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The problem with sumo is that missing time in tournaments due to injuries counts the same as losing those matches. Sure you can take 6 months off to recover from a serious injury but by then you will have fallen so far down the ranks that it will take you the better part of a year to move back up.

Especially the top rank guys refuse to fall below juryo since that means losing paychecks.

I think they used to let you preserve your rank if you were injured and had to pull out, but wrestlers started abusing that. Guys with no apparent injury who were in danger of MK would claim injury and find a doctor to sign off on it and eventually the fans and the sumo elders said no more. Now only yokozuna can sit out with no negative consequences.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Anime Reference posted:

Sports medicine in Japan in general seems mired in the "just rub some dirt on it" days.
That, and a culture of "fighting spirit" where you take risks you shouldn't.

Considering the culture of sumo, you'd think they would want to set up incentives for guys to have long careers.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Couple of interesting bouts from Day 19 of the August sumo regional tour. Just like preseason football in the NFL, near the beginning the top guys don't do much to avoid exposure to injury, its near the end when things start to get serious. Hakuho and Tochinoshin haven't been participating in bouts. Goeido was more active early on, but taking a break lately. I think as the defending yusho winner, Mitakeumi is sort of obligated to be as active as possible.

Mitakeumi vs. Takayasu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCXdRbehsLg

Kakuryu vs. Kisenosato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2a_0EIrWkQ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kisenosato...... wins?

I haven't seen those two words together in a while.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If ever there was a time to prove that widespread coordinated matchfixing isn't a thing it's Kisenosato needing a big win this Basho

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here, or if I saw it in a Chris Gould video, but part of Kisenosato's problem is that his coach was only a career maegashira wrestler and therefore doesn't command Kisenosato's respect. Kind of hard giving an advice to get a yokozuna to heed your advice if you were never in the top ranks.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Kisenosato...... wins?

I haven't seen those two words together in a while.

Hell, Kisenosato wrestles hasn’t been together in awhile.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hakuho finally had some bouts in the August sumo tour, and went 4-0 against.... Ishiura

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sumo fans who are closely following the August tour now think Hakuho will probably not enter the Aki basho, he's having foot and knee issues and went to get them examined by a doctor today. The 3 Ozeki all look good to go, Tochinoshin is still a bit hurt, but he thinks he'll be healed up enough to enter (especially since he'll be kadoban). Kakuryu looks good, and no one will really know about Kisenosato until he either pulls out or steps into the ring on Day 1.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I have to wonder how long they will give Hakuho, he has only completed 2 out of the last 6 basho. There is an issue where he wants to become an elder after retiring. Normally that requires that he become a Japanese citizen and renounce his Mongolian citizenship, but he does not want to do that. If it were anyone else, the sumo association wouldn't compromise on this, but it would look very bad for them to just kick the GOAT out after all that he has done for sumo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Banzuke is out

Tochinoshin is Kadoban, the other Ozeki and Kakuryu seem to be at full strength. Hakuho and Kisenosato's status for the Aki basho are unknown.

Mitakeumi is obviously on an Ozeki run. If he gets 11 wins for Aki, then he will meet the traditional threshold for a promotion to Ozeki.

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Kakuryu                Yokozuna                Hakuho
Kisenosato             Yokozuna
Goeido                  Ozeki                  Takayasu
                        Ozeki                  Tochinoshin (~)
Mitakeumi (*)          Sekiwake                Ichinojo
Tamawashi              Komosubi                Takakeisho (+)
Ikioi                     M1                   Kaisei
Yutakayama                M2                   Chiyotairyu
Shodai                    M3                   Endo
Chiyonokuni               M4                   Abi
Myogiryu                  M5                   Asanoyama
Kagayaki                  M6                   Onosho
Shohozan (-)              M7                   Tochiozan
Takarafuji                M8                   Kotoshogiku
Hokutofuji                M9                   Daishomaru
Aoiyama                   M10                  Daieisho
Sadanoumi                 M11                  Kyokutaisei
Okinoumi                  M12                  Nishikigi
Ryuden                    M13                  Takanoiwa (+)
Takanosho (+)             M14                  Chiyomaru
Chiyoshoma                M15                  Yoshikaze
Kotoyuki (+)              M16                  Ishiura

Rigel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 29, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat I'm was hoping Aminishiki would make a return to Makuuchi.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is supposedly the official poster for the Aki basho, and if thats true, then its very appropriate. With the possible exception of Mitakeumi's Ozeki run, the biggest storyline going into this tournament is probably Tochinoshin facing Kadoban status so soon after his promotion, and his need to overcome his injury to get 8 wins.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The August sumo tour is over, and the rikishi have now begun to train at their heya for the Aki basho.

Tochinoshin is reportedly very happy with where he's at in recovering from his injury, he believes he will be at 100% and ready to go on day 1.

Mitakeumi and Takayasu looked healthy during their publicly-open training sessions today. Hakuho began training at his heya with the intention of entering the Aki basho, but we do not yet know if he will actually be able to go. Kisenosato is also training with the intention of participating in the Aki basho, but we obviously wont know about him unless he actually steps into the ring.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As always, you have to take the results of training bouts with a grain of salt because the rikishi might be working on odd techniques and aren't necessarily trying to win. (and it also seems every 2 months Takayasu makes Kisenosato look good, and then Kise goes kyujo)

That said, Kisenosato trained with Takayasu yesterday and went 14-6 in bouts. Tochinoshin began training against lower-ranked Makushita wrestlers and went 24-2 against them. (He wanted to face Sekitori, but his Oyakata told him to take it easy and start out against lower-ranked guys)

After training, Kisenosato talked to the media and said that the quality of his sumo is now very good and "I feel I'm finally ready." Well, OK. We'll see.

Hakuho has still not begun any practice bouts, and his left knee is bandaged.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mitakeumi has announced that if he is able to achieve a promotion to Ozeki, then he intends to change his Shikona. That would be cool, I think it would be the first time a high-ranked wrestler changed his Shikona since Haramafuji was forced to change (he started out as Ama).

No one really knows what name he has in mind, but a lot of people are guessing Ryogoku because thats apparently a name that has been used many times before at his heya.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Why was Haramafuji forced to change?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
It was purely because of his stable reorganizing and renaming itself, and guys taking shikona with the -fuji suffix in deference to their coach Asahifuji.

Edit: Whose name means "Foamy beer mountain."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If my new coach was "foamy beer mountain", I think I would have to change my name to follow suit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hmm I need to go stock up on some Asahi and Kirin Ichiban before the basho starts so I can drink while I watch.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I just looked up “Asahifuji” in Japanese because (even though the joke was good) I figured that it must actually mean “morning sun mountain” but wanted to double check. Turns out it uses totally different characters than I thought it would and actually means “morning sun wealthy gentleman.”

That made me wonder: are there any good shikona meaning reference guides, maybe for all the guys in makuuchi?

I know some of the simple ones (Hakuhou=white mythical bird, Tochinoshin=heart of the chestnut, Aoiyama=blue mountain, which is fittingly unimaginative) and can look them up character by character but figured someone must have done this already.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 31, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

More training bout results:

Tochinoshin went 10-6 against Mitakeumi, and said he still isn't able to go all-out yet.

Kisenosato went 10-3 against Takayasu.

Kakuryu looks very strong, going 17-0 against 3 Sekitori.

Later at another training session, Kisenosato went 4-4 (1-2 vs Kakuryu, 2-2 vs Goeido, 1-0 vs Tochinoshin) and Kakuryu went 9-1 against Tochinoshin and Mitaeumi.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm definitely up for another Kakuryu yusho

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Scythe posted:

I just looked up “Asahifuji” in Japanese because (even though the joke was good) I figured that it must actually mean “morning sun mountain” but wanted to double check. Turns out it uses totally different characters than I thought it would and actually means “morning sun wealthy gentleman.”

That made me wonder: are there any good shikona meaning reference guides, maybe for all the guys in makuuchi?

I know some of the simple ones (Hakuhou=white mythical bird, Tochinoshin=heart of the chestnut, Aoiyama=blue mountain, which is fittingly unimaginative) and can look them up character by character but figured someone must have done this already.

Keep in mind that any -fuji name will generally be a reference to the mountain. Even more fun, the kanji for Fuji are phonetic and don't reflect any meaning of the mountain's name. Just like the word "sumo" itself.

I'm not sure there's a guide, and basically you're doing about the best thing you can. Even to a native Japanese speaker, the shikona can be a bit opaque (source: elderly Japanese neighbour).

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
They’re just poetic sounding names. “White Peng”, “Morning Blue Dragon”, “Sun Horse Fuji”, “Thousand Year Fuji”, etc etc. Sometimes wrestlers choose them for a specific reason, sometimes their oyakata chooses it, sometimes they just like the sound of it and it keeps in tradition with the naming convention of their stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The translation to English always sounds stilted. I wonder if they sound majestic and/or flowery to a native speaker.