Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/1021398189436387333

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/1021397313682460676

Twins going deep with crossover art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dumb Futari Wa Precure question for Japanese/high level weebs: do school children actually play lacrosse much in Japan? Here in the US it's mainly a northeast regional thing, and was even more so back in the 90s. Just curious why they picked it for Nagisa's thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

P-Mack posted:

Dumb Futari Wa Precure question for Japanese/high level weebs: do school children actually play lacrosse much in Japan? Here in the US it's mainly a northeast regional thing, and was even more so back in the 90s. Just curious why they picked it for Nagisa's thing.

From quickly checking it seems pretty popular. They are full members of the international Lecrosse Leagues.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cure Black probably would be a monster in Box Lacrosse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Lacrosse is fairly popular in Japan, so popular that there were rumors that it might get added to the 2020 olympics because of them being in Tokyo. A good amount of high schools would have a Lacrosse team.

In Japan it's mostly seen as a girl's sport, especially among middle schoolers and high schoolers, so it makes sense that they'd pick it as the sport of choice for a character in an anime aimed at girls.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, that's cool to know. I mentally always associated it with A Certain Kind of Bro.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the Sailor Moon Super S movie basically stand alone if you haven't seen the later seasons? It's playing at the theater next weekend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Is the Sailor Moon Super S movie basically stand alone if you haven't seen the later seasons? It's playing at the theater next weekend.
It's got no plot connections to any of the actual plot but chibiusa, neptune, uranus, and pluto are all in it, so if you havent seen their introductory seasons you might be confused on who they are

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I don't think any of the Sailor Moon movies have any direct plot connection to the series itself so as long as you know who Chibiusa and the Inner Scouts (Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) are you should be fine.

How far along is the current redub of the 90's anime anyway? I haven't been paying much attention to it but might check it out when they get to Sailor Stars (which I believe will be the first time ever that that particular season is available in English).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still want to see Crystal do the Stars portion of the manga as a straight adaptation just for the sheer wtf nature

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I still want to see Crystal do the Stars portion of the manga as a straight adaptation just for the sheer wtf nature

If I remember right, the last half of the manga is absolutely insane and there's even some things the 90's anime didn't adapt so it might be worth seeing for that reason alone. I also hope the upcoming movies (which might still end up getting broken up into episodes anyway ala Digimon Tri) are just a fluke and the final section will return to the TV format, I kind of doubt it though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 30, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of the Sailor Moon movies have any direct plot connection to the series itself so as long as you know who Chibiusa and the Inner Scouts (Saturn, Uranus, Pluto) are you should be fine.

How far along is the current redub of the 90's anime anyway? I haven't been paying much attention to it but might check it out when they get to Sailor Stars (which I believe will be the first time ever that that particular season is available in English).
I believe they're dubbing the movies as they get to them in terms of the series itself, so they're at Super S.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/1024541265164025856

Not only love that the manga artist has them getting married but also the print is being sold in the Precure store

I just need to find a way to get it

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nagisa and Honoka are as good as married on official merchandise too

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chibiusa just showed up, lol that the first thing she does is point a .45 at Usagi's head

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://i.imgur.com/K4Dk5YS.mp4

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So lets look at some of the Hugtto Manga chapters since the first volume is out. I'm sure it'll be all nice and ....

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/1027881812301762560

Twins sure have been taking the Precure manga places over the last few years

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, are most of the Precure mangas just straight adaptions of the shows or do they usually add/change some stuff?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

some chapters are adaptations others are all new stories.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It used to be a mix until the Go Princess manga and than they switched to being completely their own thing and it's also at the point that the Twins really started to let loose.

I mean we got this page in last years Kira Kira manga and the whole chapter it was in is amazing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It used to be a mix until the Go Princess manga and than they switched to being completely their own thing and it's also at the point that the Twins really started to let loose.

I mean we got this page in last years Kira Kira manga and the whole chapter it was in is amazing

I believe Kira Kira at least did a truncated adaptation of Parfait's intro.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Forgot picture -

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Who is that supposed to be?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1 chapter villain in the manga that wanted Chocolate. The whole chapter is real good and real gay

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

1 chapter villain in the manga that wanted Chocolate. The whole chapter is real good and real gay

Sooo is there a place I can read this? Preferably with an English translation but if not I'll just look at the pretty pictures and stumble my way through what little hiragana I know

edit: vvv thank you for the links :)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Sooo is there a place I can read this? Preferably with an English translation but if not I'll just look at the pretty pictures and stumble my way through what little hiragana I know

Near as I can tell only a handful of Precure manga have been translated (and correct me if I'm wrong few if any of those have actually been done from start to finish) but I'm sure you can find them somewhere if you search around.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

No legal translation but scans here - https://mangadex.org/manga/22797/kirakira-precure-a-la-mode

And Bookwalker has the raws on the Japanese side

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why is it that Precure never really became a thing in the west (Sailor Moon is still fairly popular here after all)?

Outside of the original show getting a Canadian dub and currently being the only Precure show available on Crunchyroll (though in this case I think it's better if you tracked down the fansubbed version as the one on CR is just a step above HK subs as far as translation quality goes) and Smile being adapted by Saban into the ill-fated Glitter Force nobody seems to really want to touch the series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 11, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's because Toei. They have very backwards ideas out of what they want localizations of their stuff to be. They held off on licensing Dragon Ball Super because they wanted a TV deal where kids could watch it and then just gave up. I imagine they expected Glitter Force to be a bigger deal but Saban couldn't find a network and did the two seasons to fulfill a contract.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They also tried to get something going with 4kids and og pretty cure but the utter disaster that was One Piece pretty much slammed the door on any future collaborations between the two companies (like the choijin games arc of Ultimate Muscle) right on 4kids’ face.

Not that ether side is particularly innocent in that (or any) matter. 4kids should have read the room and maybe worked with Toonami when they got the show to air it alongside Naruto’s then groundbreaking TV-PG dub (or, failing that, trying to go with a hard TV-Y7 like UM, TMNT and Shaman King) and Toei should have known better than to think trying to make One Piece a Saturday Morning Cartoon with the content restrictions that had was any sort of good idea.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 11, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I also remember some Sailor Moon fans at the time looking at Precure as a Sailor Moon rip off too which probably hurt it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plus western TV execs have only gotten more and more gunshy about content for young girls. Young Justice literally got cancelled because girls liked it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I also remember some Sailor Moon fans at the time looking at Precure as a Sailor Moon rip off too which probably hurt it

To be fair, stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura and Madoka also came out here and did fairly well as I recall (even if the original dub of the former was so hacked up that a lot of fans flat out consider it a separate series) so it's not like there isn't a market for Magical Girl stuff in the west (Precure is also one of the youngest incarnations of the concept as it's only been around since 2004). But point taken, also as mentioned western TV execs seem a lot more hesitant these days regarding content aimed at girls so it might be too late to start bringing it over now.

There's also the question of what series you'd even start with as far as a potential dub is concerned (I'd personally say the original as it's more action heavy and, as has been mentioned before, it's basically DBZ for girls).

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I think Toei honestly tried to get the first one going over here - they had an English web site directed towards potential licensors, and they screened dubbed episodes at Anime Expo 2007, before the official dub existed - but then when it didn't take off the way they were hoping they kind of just gave up entirely.

I believe Precure might have gotten off the ground in Italy, at least for a few seasons. I've seen Italian dubs of Fresh on Youtube.

And yeah as mentioned the West (North America at least) has a weird hangup where magical girl shows are automatically "Sailor Moon ripoffs" unless they're substantially different.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 11, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

plus western TV execs have only gotten more and more gunshy about content for young girls. Young Justice literally got cancelled because girls liked it.

I've heard this on and off but haven't been able to find a good source on a cursory google. Could you go into more detail?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Paul Dini mentioned it in this interview

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Girls either don't buy stuff or buy the wrong stuff which doesn't shock me as that opinion comes up a lot in US anime fandom

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Insane business practices all over. Does that mean that if having 5M boys watching a show and buying the merch is "doing good", then having 5M boys + 3M girls watching but the girls only buying half as much merch as the boys, that's "doing bad"? Even if, simply removing all the girls, it would be "good"? The total sales is still higher?!?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

Insane business practices all over. Does that mean that if having 5M boys watching a show and buying the merch is "doing good", then having 5M boys + 3M girls watching but the girls only buying half as much merch as the boys, that's "doing bad"? Even if, simply removing all the girls, it would be "good"? The total sales is still higher?!?

Exactly, why do they care if girls are watching the show/buying their merchandise? That just means increased ratings and more money for them. How exactly is that a bad thing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Marketing

First against the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You're asking that of an industry that has one channel filling its schedule to far beyond capacity with one show at the expense of everything else and had another spread out a two season show over four years against everyone else on the insistance that this leads to better ratings somehow.

The fact that they're possessed of any wit at all to the conclusion of to come to the idea of "girls iz less muny" should be heralded as a miracle.